THE BROWNS BOARD

Jake Delhomme, possible answer for QB

jrb12711

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4967109

I know Delhomme's game extremely well seeing as I'm here in Charlotte. Let me start off by saying this: His best years are behind him. He's not going to be a guy who will torch the opposing team for 4 td's and 300 yards. Also, he tends to have games where he forgets which team he's supposed to throw to.

However, he does have alot of intangibles at the QB position that our current roster doesn't have. He can manage a game extremely well with a good run game. He can make throws when he needs to. He doesn't take too many sacks. Honestly, most of the hits this guy took in the regular season were the result of a so-so Carolina pass line.

IMO, I strongly feel we should bring him in, draft Spiller and take a chance on a QB with a later round pick (Fever, Robinson). If we established the run game and bring in Delhomme to that comfort zone he's had with Carolina, I think our team would do good things next year. Thoughts, opinions?

I don't think so..Too many downsides for this 35 yo qb. Reconstructed elbow has surely affected his skills. He really has no $$$ motivation to perform well as stated in article with Carolina still into him for 13m guarenteed money. To reference article again, he is most likely the best FA QB available. Thats's scary. Let the Bills or Rams milk whatever skills remain.

i understand the criticism, really I do. I've seen this guy play and look like crap. Like i stated, his best years are very much behind him. He's not going to do some amazing thing at the QB position if he were to sign with us. Yosemite, I don't think his arm/elbow is that big of a problem TBH. He didn't really have any issues.

But honestly, does our QB situation look worse or better with delhomme calling the plays? I know for a fact i'd rather have a guy who at least can manage a game than any QB on the roster currently. If we were to add him and another good RB our roster, i like our offense 10x more than with BQ or DA out there.

There are rumors that we may go for Sam Bradford. If that be the case I would rather have a veteran QB mentor him. BQ or DA is not a veteran and McNabb's chances of getting released seem very low at this point. Delhomme at this point seems like a logical choice as he is already cut. NC is a bit cold unlike Miami where Pennington comes from. He could very well be the Kerry Collins for us - I know Delhommes interception rate sucks; but it was not always like this throughout his career and after being cut by the team im sure he would have learnt one thing or another for sure.

i understand the criticism, really I do. I've seen this guy play and look like crap. Like i stated, his best years are very much behind him. He's not going to do some amazing thing at the QB position if he were to sign with us. Yosemite, I don't think his arm/elbow is that big of a problem TBH. He didn't really have any issues.

But honestly, does our QB situation look worse or better with delhomme calling the plays? I know for a fact i'd rather have a guy who at least can manage a game than any QB on the roster currently. If we were to add him and another good RB our roster, i like our offense 10x more than with BQ or DA out there.

Managing a game? Have you watched Delhomme? He's Favre without the touchdowns. Just throw it up and see what happens. And he had Steve Smith, too.

Managing a game means helping your team to win without making any killer mistakes. Delhomme hasn't helped his team in two years and has made killer mistake after killer mistake. I will roll with Quinn before any available FA QB out there. Period.

he had an awful playoff game and an awful '09 season, I've admitted that twice now. I've also admitted that his best years are behind him. But didn't help his team win in '08? the team that went 12-4? I watched about 5-6 games that season personally, and Jake MANAGED the game extremely well.

If you want to honestly stick with Brady Quinn before bringing in a guy with a career winning record, super bowl experience and a career starter, then God help us. It'll be fun drafting in the top 10 again next year. I'd rather bring a guy to train a young guy, (pike hopefully) and hand over the reigns.

I realize we've gone done this road before (garcia, dilfer) and it didn't work out. But this regime would make it work, that i'm sure. We could create a run first offense, something Jake has been operating for seasons now. I just find it amazing people would rather keep our worthless QB's than a guy who at least has some game in him.

well Delhome does have the advantage of age and playing in superbowl. His value as a tutor could be a lot higher. I understand if we sign McNabb or Pennington as a back up, but seeing as we only have DA and BQ , Do u guys seriously think that JD will make our roster worse ?

JD already has the money + experience; DA most probably might be cut cos of the money owed to him which leaves only BQ as our first choice QB and im not impressed with BQ . Even if we want to roll with BQ maybe Delhommes experience can teach the kid something. If we draft a new QB, again wouldnt u prefer a veteran to tutor him ?

he had an awful playoff game and an awful '09 season, I've admitted that twice now. I've also admitted that his best years are behind him. But didn't help his team win in '08? the team that went 12-4? I watched about 5-6 games that season personally, and Jake MANAGED the game extremely well.

If you want to honestly stick with Brady Quinn before bringing in a guy with a career winning record, super bowl experience and a career starter, then God help us. It'll be fun drafting in the top 10 again next year. I'd rather bring a guy to train a young guy, (pike hopefully) and hand over the reigns.

I realize we've gone done this road before (garcia, dilfer) and it didn't work out. But this regime would make it work, that i'm sure. We could create a run first offense, something Jake has been operating for seasons now. I just find it amazing people would rather keep our worthless QB's than a guy who at least has some game in him.

For crying out loud, you honestly think Delhomme can "train" Quinn better than the team president? Holmgren has forgotten more about QB tutelage than Delhomme has ever learned.

Obviously we agree to disagree about Quinn's abilities. Give Quinn a legit receiving threat and then pass judgment.

And you're answering your own question as to why we don't bring Delhomme in. He had an awful '09 season, his best years are clearly behind him, and over-the-hill FA QB's are not the route to long-term success. That's why Quinn, who is more of a question mark, is better than Delhomme who leaves no doubt that he can't play anymore.

For crying out loud, you honestly think Delhomme can "train" Quinn better than the team president? Holmgren has forgotten more about QB tutelage than Delhomme has ever learned.

Obviously we agree to disagree about Quinn's abilities. Give Quinn a legit receiving threat and then pass judgment.

And you're answering your own question as to why we don't bring Delhomme in. He had an awful '09 season, his best years are clearly behind him, and over-the-hill FA QB's are not the route to long-term success. That's why Quinn, who is more of a question mark, is better than Delhomme who leaves no doubt that he can't play anymore.

you misunderstood what i said there. I'm not saying he can't play anymore. All i'm saying is he's not going to be a guy who will put up 30TD's in a season.

I guess like you said we'll just have to agree to disagree. Quinn just doesn't have it, and sooner hopefully than later we'll part ways. I'd rather have a guy out there with some diminished skills than someone who has none at all. I'm not saying there's a right or wrong answer either. I have absolutely 0% faith in Quinn or DA to lead us at this point.

dilfer won a super bowl and garcia we should have never let go. bring him in to mentor a young qb to do what, throw interceptions? jake delhomme is about as accurate as brady quinn. hell no.

Archived