THE BROWNS BOARD

Are The Browns "lucky"?

PoeticG

Okay, I couldn't have imagined this a few months ago. I was just excited to have 2 firsts in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft. Now once all the dust has settled their remains only 3 teams ahead of us in gaining the next "sure thing". We've always picked and fought with each other about whether or not we have "the guy". Could Colt be the guy? I don't know, but what I do know is that many scouts, coaches and pundits are calling Andrew Luck the next sure hit. Now yes, I know the Colts own the number 1- but will they pass on Luck for Griffen? Or do they decide to run with Manning for a while longer and give him some help(remember they are in the same boat as us, but they have a GREAT QB in Peyton and it's evident that they need more than just a QB).

So the question becomes... Who takes Luck first if the Colts don't? - Call me crazy but I think the Rams are set at QB with Bradford and his 100,000,000 dollar contract! This could be a blessing in disqiuse for us. When our FO tried to move up and get Bradford the price was just too steep and we lost in that one. But the situation is "Now" that all the teams ahead of us have 1st round draft picks playing at QB. That leaves our guy right there for us at 4!

This may seem like a pipe-dream but seriously look at it- If the Colts don't take his at #1 then who takes him? I see the Rams getting Bradford a weapon in Blackmon.

Then the Vikings are on the clock... If, and I say if sparingly, if Peterson is injured seriously(it's probable), they will need a RB to step in a replace a guy of his caliber. Viking fans will be clamoring for them to select Trent Richardson to run the rock. I must say that I love Hillis but this Richardson kinda reminds me of another back that refused to go down... So, if the Colts take Kalil, the Rams take Blackmon and the Vikings take Richardson(or RG3 here- seems to fit their personality), then that leaves the Future Franchise Player we've always wanted and needed right here in Cleveland Ohio.

And really guys, what team out there is in need of the biggest dose of luck? That's right, us. It just really seems to me like this is a perfect storm and I think we come out of this draft looking like 100 million bucks.

I mean just think about it guys, we'll have Colt get him acclimated and Colt will always push him and be chomping at his bit. It'll make him better. Luck will have the "Infamous QB Guru- Mike Holmgren" Tutoring him in the ways of the Great Bret Farve. We all know that Holmgren's mouth is watering with the prospect of bringing Luck to Cleveland. If he "KNOWS" QB's like he and everyone in the NFL and ESPN and NFLNETWORK, ect. ect. say he knows QB's, then I think he's already made his mind up that we will take Luck and finally have our Franchise QB, "the guy" that will take us out of this hole we've been in for so long.

I love Colt, I even read his book. I want him to succeed, I really do. But what I want more is for the Browns to be relevent again.... and if "The Big Show" thinks that Luck is the next Otto Graham, I think we should take him. Do we have other holes? Yes, and we'll still have them if we take Luck. Will we make the playoffs next season if we take Luck? Probably not, but then we probably wouldn't anyways. But in the mean time what we will have and know that is finally solved is the QB position. Just that much will give Browns fans piece of mind for future years in knowing that the foundation is set and we've gone into the next phases of rebuilding.

I left a lot out there to speculate and comment on... just tell us what you think?

I just wanted to add:

If Luck is taken by the Browns, I'm sure we'll have him here for a visit, a tryout and an interview, that opens so many doors it's not even funny. For instance, does Gruden decide to take Holmgrens offer and come coach the Browns? Do offensive Co-ordinators see Cleveland as an opportunity and want to come here? Does that make Cleveland more enticing to FA to see a team that is exciting and up-n-coming? Getting Luck and he is to be had if Mike wants him enough, could be the catalyst for seeing exponential growth in the following years... You've gotta have "the guy" to continue to grow and develop as an organization...

Here is a little video from Youtube promoting Luck for the Heisman. Any good ones you find post it here. I think if we get a little Luck rally going it'll be even better mojo. We need a Franchise Qb and I don't know if Colt is it. Luck could be our guy for the next 10 seasons. He could be the one that comes in and finally beats the Steelers and Ravens on his first try. Get a bookend OT across from Thomas and give Luck a line to throw behind. I like Colt but Luck is gonna make up for Tim Couch... And I liked Tim Couch a lot. I think this team is farther along and more developed than the one Couch inherited in '99. Thomas is one of them. Hillis and get a burner for WR... Desean Jackson could be that guy. Get a good corner opposite Haden... Maybe Minnifield?

... now if we could just find a way to get Vickers back... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE3EQ83fQlc

This one is on the Colts and drafting Luck and Playing him while cutting Manning.

I think that Peyton Manning needs to continue to play Starting QB for the Colts and let the man retire a Colt. Some legacy's should not be tainted. Leave this one alone and keep Peyton, draft him a Lineman like Kalil and some weapons. Leave the Luck for the Brownies Elves.

... If ever the Elves were gonna work some magic for us, now would be a good time.

Just imagine if Luck comes here and he does the Otto Graham... just imagine it... there's a gleam gentlemen... there's a gleam...

Well, I say the Colts "DO" pass on Luck. They won't get rid of Peyton and he's gonna be their #1 QB. Luck is ready to play NOW. You don't want a prospect like Luck sitting on the sidelines and rusting for 3 years. He's a supercharged drag racer ready to start lighting it up. You play Luck now and the Colts aren't ready to move on from Peyton at this time. They will likely pass on Luck now ride out Peyton's career and then get the next best thing down the road. If Peyton hadn't been hurt this year then the Colts wouldn't even be thinking QB right now. If Manning is ready to go then you have to pass on Luck if you're the Colts.

It then becomes is St. Louis sold on Sam Bradford? Well they just took their Franchise QB with their #1 last season. The owe him like 70million they are stuck with him for awhile, so they will naturally build the team up around him. Then it's back to the Vikings. Will they take luck? They have a young first rounder already at QB, do they throw away that investment already? Is Peterson gonna need a suitable replacement? Richardson would fill Peterson's shoes nicely... Then it's us...

The Browns are on the clock with the fourth pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, Luck's available, do you say no? Do you pull the trigger? You better pull the trigger or I'll pull it for you! Could Holmgren pass on Luck if he's there? Could he? What if Holmgren sees Luck as Cleveland's QB as he saw Bret Farve for Green Bay. Holmgren sees stars when he likes a QB, would he pass on Luck, the newest sure thing in a decade?

Holmgren is probably already in the works with Tom Heckert working out a deal with the Colt for the #1 pick of the Draft anyways so we probably won't even have to let him fall to us. I could see the Browns switching places with the Colts more easily than they tried to work a deal with the lowly Rams last season. Last season it was a greater jump to get down to 1 from 7, this year it's only 3 spots. The Colts would still get a great pick plus our second and fourth this year. The Colts don't need Luck, they need help at a lot of positions. They have a face of the franchise. The Browns do not. All the other teams have their guys, I want Cleveland to finally get OUR guy. Could you guys see Andrew Luck as the Starting QB of the Cleveland Browns?

I guess the harder question is: Who would wear the #12 on their jersey, Luck or McCoy? I think that Andrew Luck and Colt McCoy would be a AWESOME combination to have in Cleveland. You could still play Colt and give Luck a breather here and there and Colt could still be effective. Imagine the possibilities at WildDawg... Colt Cribbs Hillis Luck Little and Kendall Wright.

The Browns would have to be effective in Free Agency, picking up a solid RT and finding an answer at RG. Sign Eric up for 3 more years at LG and teach Marecic how to play FB. They don't need anymore receivers if they take Kendall Wright with the second first and sign Desean Jackson to a 3 year deal. They would need to do this:

2012 NFL Draft

1a)QB -Take Andrew Luck (Franchise QB)

1b)WR -Take Kendall Wright (Great Hands, Burner Speed)

2) Best available CB - please be Minnifield if anything to make up for Clay Matthews Jr.

3) Best available LB - need to find someone to play for Fujita soon in his spot.

FA

RB- Peyton Hillis

LB- D'qwell Jackson

WR- Desean Jackson

OT-

FS/CB-

If this happens we look like this:

QB- LUCK

RB- HILLIS/HARDESTY/JACKSON

FB- MARECIC/WILLIAMS/DRAFTPICK?/FA

WR- JACKSON -#1

WR- LITTLE -LEGIT #2

WR- WRIGHT -SLOT

WR- CRIBBS -SLOT/#4 SPLIT TIME WITH MOMASS

WR- MOMASS -FILL IN/DEPTH

TE- WATSON

TE- MOORE

TE- CAMERON

-I think this offense would be very effective and I could see us sweeping the Steelers next season and spliting with the Ravens and sweeping the Bengals. That would put us in the playoffs.

Defense looks much the same but I think it wasn't bad this year. We couldn't keep the offense on the field to give the Defense a break. With the improved offense I see the Defense coming along nicely with a few picks and a couple FA's. It would look like this:

DT- RUBIN

DT- TAYLOR

DE- SHEARD

DE- FA - SOLID HIGH PREFORMING SACK ARTIST

LB- GOCONG/FA

LB- JACKSON

LB- FUJITA/MAIVA

CB- HADEN

CB- MINNIFIELD

FS- FA - NEED A GUY WITH RENOWN HERE, SOMEONE THAT DEFENSES FEAR, HELP OUT WARD

SS- WARD

This is not a tall order for the FO to fill, The would need to have a GREAT DRAFT and sign critical positions in FA such as- WR, OT, DE, and FS. That's four legit Free Agents on a team that usually has a 40% roster turnover annually.

These picks and this movement in FA could catapult the Browns to the TOP of the AFCN next season or possibly 2013 at the latest. What do you think?

I left a lot out there to speculate and comment on... just tell us what you think?

The Colts will NEVER pass on Luck, if you don't see the exact Farve\Rodgers deja vu, you're blind.

If we're going to get anyone the odds are way better on RG III. Get used to the idea. To move up to #1 overall, it will take both our first rounders, and our #1 next year. Still interested?

The Colts will NEVER pass on Luck, if you don't see the exact Farve\Rodgers deja vu, you're blind.

If we're going to get anyone the odds are way better on RG III. Get used to the idea. To move up to #1 overall, it will take both our first rounders, and our #1 next year. Still interested?

Absolutely I'm still interested! The Browns may never have another chance to snag a QB like this! We're essentially swapping picks with the Colts in the first, giving them the (late)first rounder we stole from ATL and giving away our first for next year to draft a guy we can build an NFL offense around for 10 to 15 years. How long has it been since we've had a Probowl caliber Quarterback in Cleveland. He young and promising and Cleveland needs a lot of luck. In the long run is next years first gonna change our future as much as the this QB prospect that comes along as often as Hailey's Comet? Pull the trigger and go and get OUR QB! :wub:

Absolutely I'm still interested! The Browns may never have another chance to snag a QB like this! We're essentially swapping picks with the Colts in the first, giving them the (late)first rounder we stole from ATL and giving away our first for next year to draft a guy we can build an NFL offense around for 10 to 15 years. How long has it been since we've had a Probowl caliber Quarterback in Cleveland. He young and promising and Cleveland needs a lot of luck. In the long run is next years first gonna change our future as much as the this QB prospect that comes along as often as Hailey's Comet? Pull the trigger and go and get OUR QB! :wub:

Rule #1 of drafting NEVER fall in love with a particular player.

How many games have you actually seen Luck play? Hmmm? The freaking Bengals had Dalton throw into a wind tunnel, and measured his cadence in DB and frequency before they drafted him. Yeah, everybody and their uncle has Luck as the consensus #1, I've only seen him play a couple of times, and sorry to tell you he can't walk on water just yet.

Nice effort put in to your post.

I don't see Luck falling to 4th. He is going #1.

Luck is getting drafted by Indy or the pick is traded by Indy. Why let him drop to St. Louis and allow them to gain the extra picks?? Makes no sense.

We are the front runners for Luck unless Indy just says they are taking him am refuse to trade out of the slot.

A trade with us drops them 3 positions. Better position than any of the teams thought to be in the Luck sweepstakes.

We have 2 first round picks this year. Better than any of the mentioned teams.

If Indy is willing to make a trade.....big IF, and we want Luck, then we are the team that gets him.

I also believe Holmgren will be talking to the Colts but i do not believe we should trade 3 first round picks for Luck...Sit where we are and take RG3 and use the other picks to build the team around him that way even if they both bust we still have other players put in place...

Also no way do the Colts pass on Luck unless they trade the pick, and if they did pass on him the Rams or Vikings would more then defentily auction the pick off to the Highest bidder...(Washington,Miami,KC,Seattle)etc...

First off please calm down, your triple and quadruple posts are giving me a headache. Next Luck, unless there is some major injury he gets in his bowl game or gets busted for cocain before the draft, will be the #1 overall pick. No will he be wearing a Colts jersey. Who knows. If the Colt's are good with Manning then they will trade the 1st overall pick, they won't just draft someone else. As we all saw the past season, when Manning doesn't play, they don't win. The Colts need to stop focusing on drafting 1st round O-Linemen and start to draft some sort of play makers that can make the team competitive if Manning goes out. Maybe a Fitzgareld type of WR that will always get 1000+ yards regardless who is throwing to him, or a great MLB or Ball Hawking FS. Well regardless they will either have luck, or a shit load of draft picks to play with after trading away the first overall pick.

Oh and if Luck does some how fall to us and we draft him and he pulls a Manning, then it's like we get to trade the first over all draft pick, because that is what he is worth and that is what teams will give up for him, which means we still win.

And I liked Tim Couch a lot.

... now if we could just find a way to get Vickers back... ;)

But to draft an overall #1 QB and then declare you have to change his throwing motion? Never understood that...

I miss Vickers, too.

... there's a gleam gentlemen... there's a gleam...

LOL... Didn't see Marty on the list of coaches drafting Luck would attract.

I think that Andrew Luck and Colt McCoy would be a AWESOME combination to have in Cleveland. You could still play Colt and give Luck a breather here and there and Colt could still be effective.

Agree that if we want Luck, we have to trade up to get him. Disagree about keeping Colt... If you draft Luck, you clear the decks for him. And Colt's shown enough to be worth at least the #3 invested in him.

If we're going to get anyone the odds are way better on RG III. Get used to the idea.

To move up to #1 overall, it will take both our first rounders, and our #1 next year. Still interested?

Agree, but there's a reason RGIII would fall to us... He's not Luck.

Based upon one "value chart" I have, that'd be giving ~4000 points for 3000, say 3500 for the QB premium... So, no, but if it was this year's first #1 and a #4, next year's #1 (about 3000 pts) plus a conditional 2013 (2nd to 4th)... I could see that.

I dont think Luck would really have a problem coming to Cleveland, didnt his dad Oliver grow up in Cleveland????

By George, you are correct , sir..

Born April 5, 1960 (1960-04-05) (age 51)

Cleveland, Ohio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Luck

Andrew is the 2nd coming of Bernire!

First off the Colts will not pass on Luck.

Second, Luck will never come to Cleveland. Its a place where qb careers are ended. He will pull an Eli Manning if this scenario would play out.

Not true, because Holmgren can simply point out the fact that as a coach he instructed Joe Montana, Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Matt Hasselbeck.

And remember, Luck's father is a Cleveland St. Ignatius Graduate, and that Randy Lerner's son is a QB at St. Ignatius.

I do believe that Luck is good and has scary potential i do not like the hype that has been surronded around him that is alot of big shoes to fill, also theres no way he comes here i just dont think he could fall that far...If he did i do think he would embrace it though as Gipper has pointed out the ties to Cleveland

2012 NFL Draft

1a)QB -Take Andrew Luck (Franchise QB)

1b)WR -Take Kendall Wright (Great Hands, Burner Speed)

2) Best available CB - please be Minnifield if anything to make up for Clay Matthews Jr.

3) Best available LB - need to find someone to play for Fujita soon in his spot

FYI, if the Browns traded up with the Colts to get Luck (he his NOT going to fall to #4), the 1b and 2 choices would be eliminated in order to make that deal. So, if the Browns get Luck, you can forget getting Wright and Minnifield.

By the way, did anyone see this from NFL.com:

Head coach Pat Shurmur and owner Randy Lerner are working together to turn around a struggling Browns franchise.

But for a few hours Thursday, Shurmur and Lerner went head-to-head on the football field. Well, at least their 14-year-old children did.

The sons of Shurmur and Lerner are the starting quarterbacks for storied high school rivals in west side of Cleveland. Kyle Shurmur threw three touchdown passes to guide his St. Edward freshman football team past Max Lerner and St. Ignatius 37-0, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Neither father was in attendance, the Plain Dealer reported. Kyle Shurmur and Max Lerner became good friends this year after hanging out at Browns practices.

"I'm close with Max," Kyle Shurmur told the newspaper. "I hope he does really well in everything. I hope he does really well every night -- except this one night

Head coach Pat Shurmur and owner Randy Lerner are working together to turn around a struggling Browns franchise.

But for a few hours Thursday, Shurmur and Lerner went head-to-head on the football field. Well, at least their 14-year-old children did.

The sons of Shurmur and Lerner are the starting quarterbacks for storied high school rivals in west side of Cleveland. Kyle Shurmur threw three touchdown passes to guide his St. Edward freshman football team past Max Lerner and St. Ignatius 37-0, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Neither father was in attendance, the Plain Dealer reported. Kyle Shurmur and Max Lerner became good friends this year after hanging out at Browns practices.

"I'm close with Max," Kyle Shurmur told the newspaper. "I hope he does really well in everything. I hope he does really well every night -- except this one night

F*cking Shurmur let him coach his Kids High school team thats about where he should be

What? Randy lets his son play football? I thought Randy hated football and really only loved soccer that's why the Browns are bad.

Archived