THE BROWNS BOARD

Cheapshots of the Year

heckofajobbrownie

Guest Aloysius

True. But he's also a guy who has a reputation for being a "hustle" player, which makes me a little less concerned about that (truly nasty) cheap shot.

You could also look at it this way - if this happened in the NFL, and he knocked a team's starting QB out for the year that way, you'd probably be looking at a guy you drafted having to sit out the entire year in suspension.

I'd have to be really convinced that he didn't hear the whistles that everyone else on the field heard just fine.

Guest Aloysius

Reports were that other players on the field didn't hear the whistle, and there weren't any officials in Hunt's field of vision waving off the play.

Hunt still bears responsibility for the hit, and he's apologized for it.

If someone like Brandon Meriweather had done this, I could see it being a major disqualifier. But considering that Hunt's said to be a good kid and you'd only be expending a 5th or 6th Round pick on him, I don't think it pushes him off your board.

But as you said, it's definitely something that teams will need to ask him about.

How about that shot at Kiwanuka? Jesus. I've never seen anything like that. Late hits on the QB are one thing. That's just "I'd like to end your season/career."

I like the crowd's reaction when they finally show it on the Jumbotron. I wish the clip was longer so you could hear it play out and watch Tom O'Brien go insane.

And how embarrassing must that have been for Al Groh?

Guest Aloysius

Hey, the guy was just auditioning for a spot on an Alex Gibbs-coached offensive line.

And what makes things a little more interesting is that usually character-conscious Marv Levy drafted Brad "Cheap Shot" Butler in the 5th Round. Al Groh must have been sticking up for Butler behind the scenes.

Back to Phillip Hunt: Brent "SOBO" Sobleski had this to say about Hunt's play in the East-West Shrine Game:

- Phillip Hunt reminds me a lot of LaMar Woodley coming out. Very good sack numbers in Houston the last few years and showed me quite a bit with his athleticism on the edge. Especially when he was able to make a tackle in the flats on a simple swing pass to the back.

• 3 weeks later...
Just saw Jarron Gilbert deliver a Hunt-like hit in the Fresno State game.

Well, at least he looked really athletic while doing it ;)

It's an absolute TREAT to see our version of McShay and Kiper going at it. 2 thumbs up for Aloy & Heck!!!! Thanks guys!

Aloy, it doesn't look like the rumors about Harvin benching 450 are valid BUT if he's tossing up 225 for 19 reps at 190-195 pounds, we're looking at a powerhouse that can prolly put up between 340 and 380. I'm sure that's stronger than Terry Glenn and Santonio Holmes with similar heights and weights. They didn't have any problems getting off the line of scrimage. It'll be interesting to hear about his past behaviors at Indy though because that info you sent me raised my eye brows and are legit concerns.

I'm really enjoying Mayock's insights this year. What was Andre Smith thinking? That's like my brother's goofey friend that went for a job interview and when they asked him where do you see yourself in 5 years? He responded with and I quote: "Let's put it this way, you'll be fetching my coffee. I like it black!" His 2 braincells are on different planets. He said you gotta show a future employer you're confident. And here's a shocker he added "I get jobs all the time." More specifically, he loses jobs all the time. Like Andre Smith, you just can't show a future employer willing to pay millions of dollars that you're stupid.

- Tom F.

• 1 month later...
Guest Aloysius

This one probably deserves to be on the list:

The biggest problem I have with this hit is that it led to some pretty nasty retaliatory hits on Mark Sanchez.

Pete Carroll was crying to the refs for the rest of the game because UCLA d-linemen were taking cheap shots at Sanchez. Justifiably so, but it was Rey's hit that took the rivalry to the "let's end their QB's career" level.

Archived