THE BROWNS BOARD

Sleepers V2.0 - The March Update

Tour2ma

Well the combine is over and more sims have brought my attention to more players (especially when playing the newer First Pick as teams other than the Browns).

I've been thinking more about what a sleeper is. I think it boils down to the extent to which a player rises above the commonly held projections of how he will perform at the next level and thus where he will be drafted.

From the above I think the case can be made that any late rounder drafted as a special teamer, but develops into a solid position starter was a sleeper. Likewise I'd argue that any projected, mid-round solid starter who rises to All-Pro stature was a sleeper. I'm not sure any first rounder can be considered a sleeper, but cases might be made for some players.

With this edition I'm focusing upon projected Day 3 sleepers, i.e., rounds 4 - 7, the Deep Sleepers.

New V2.0 Additions

Offense

• Brett Smith, QB, Wyoming - looks to have physical ability and intangibles; completion was not great.
  • Jeff Mathews, QB, Cornell - has the size and the head for the pro game; arm is OK and may improve with mechanics.
  • Tyler Gaffney, RB, Stanford - faster and more agile than I thought and plenty rugged; decent blocker and hands to boot; could grow into FB role
  • Mike Davis, WR, Texas - fast, glider
  • A.C. Leonard, TE, Tennessee State - at 6'2/ 252 he busted an attention drawing 4.50 40 at the combine
  • Tyler Larsen, C, Utah State - combine, speed and agility measurables were eye-popping; seems made for zone scheme.
  • Ryan Groy, OG, Wisconsin - posted some great combine times elevating him to at least afterthought status; great O-line school
  • Brandon Linder, OG, Miami - 4-yr starter that just seems like a possibility; Pro day is in early April

Defense

• Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama - size and explosion of a 3-4 DE
  • Taylor Hart, DE, Oregon - possible hybrid DE; coming off foot injury; startlingly athletic despite dough-boy appearance; dedication?
  • Caraun Reid, DT, Princeton - 4-3 DT; quick with good hands; needs to get stronger
  • Brandon Dixon, CB, NW Missouri St. - good size (6'0 200lbs) with 4.4 speed; very good (not great) agility; special teamer now... and maybe more later...

Sleeper V1.0's Retained

Offense

• James White (RB-Wis-R5) - tough runner and a very good receiver.
  • Jared Abberderis (WR-Wis-R4) - awesome hands and route runner; the possession WR we hoped Bess was; pushed down boards by wave of underclassmen declaring; fell a round due to combine time, but is one of those WRs where 40 time is incidental.
  • Martavis Bryant (WR-CLEMSON-R2/3) - tall and fast, here is the "other" Clemson WR that those with a QB-Jones can land
  • C.J. Fiedorowicz (TE-Iowa-R3/4) - a TE that can actually block; faster than you'd think for his size and very good hands.
  • Seantrel Henderson (OT-MIAMI-R4/5) - huge (6'7-331), but fast (5.06?) and looks agile... could be a zone scheme dream at a bargain basement price
  • Chris Smith (DE-Ark-2/3) - at 6'1 he's shorter than the new breed of NFL DE, but looks to be a "high motor" guy.
  • Chris Borland (ILB-Wis-R2) - now a rnd 2 guy; has a chance to be great; reminds me of Dick "Bam-Bam" Ambrose... short (but not small) and fast... with a motor that is off the charts.
  • Yawin Smallwood (ILB-UConn-R2/3) - Debating on whether Yawin was a drop this go-round due to combine time, but kept him due to agility and motor.
  • Jordan Tripp (OLB-Montana-R3/4) - yup... a Big Sky guy... tall, fast and athletic.
  • Keith McGill (CB-Utah-R3) - think a further west version of Nebraska's Baptiste (R3)... as tall at 6'3, same weight and maybe slightly faster...
  • Phillip Gaines (CB-Rice-R5) - now up to round 5; caught my eye in the Sr Bowl; good speed and a very agile on a 6'1 frame.
  • Ed Reynolds (FS-Stanford-R2) - bit of a cheat here since some rate him a late 1st rounder, but most have him as a second rounder so... 6'2, 206 and brings it.
  • Kenny Lander (FS-VANDY-R4/5) - made me forget my longer shot FS, KSU's Zimmerman... check out Kenny's Senior Year line: 5 FFs... 5 INTS... 87 tackles including 60 solos...
  • Craig Loston (SS-LSU-R4) - another Tiger DB destined for the NFL; pegged as a mid-rounder, he could be a steal...

V1.0 Deletions

• Ryan Grant (WR-TULANE-R4) - upon further review...
  • Ty Zimmerman (FS-KSU-R7) - simply surpassed by Lander

Check this out.

4. Bortles

26. Xavier Sua-Filo

2nd. Martavis Bryant

3A. Keith McGill

3B. Jordan Tripp

4A. Kenny Lander

4B. Phillip Gaines

5. Storm Johnson

I actually really like this. I'm not crazy about Bortles but he's the only one I'd take at #4 at this point. I just don't think he'll be there.

I really dig Xavier, Martavis, and McGill.

I like the other one better. I don't get Robinson at 4. 4 ahould really be WR or QB with the slight chance of Mack if Watkins Bortles and Bridge are gone.

Robinson at 4 would be a great pick for lots of reasons. For one it would really maximize the production for Tate and whomever we draft at RB. Secondly it gives us a succession plan for JT when he loses a step. The importance of a stud OL is often neglected when it comes to board commentary and who fans want drafted.

Martavis Bryant catches about as good as Greg Little....no thanks

He's better than Little has proven to be, but I do not see Bryant going in Rnd 2 let alone early in the round.

I think Jordan Matthews should be there for pick 35 and I would love to pick him there.

Mixed feelings about Matthews here... still looking at him tho.

Archived