THE BROWNS BOARD

Details about Josh Gordon potential Suspension

thenew23

My question, is there any hope regarding Josh Gordon? ...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/12/the-2014-nfl-draft-sealed-with-a-kiss/

King says between "8 and 16 games," so I guess the good news is his suspension COULD only be half the season...

Also, King discusses whether or not he is worth the "long-term" risk... which is a very good question, considering he is only 23 years old.

Another article by http://rotoworld.com says that "the NFL has not announced if Josh Gordon was in stage 2 or 3 of the league's substance abuse program." If he WAS only in stage 2, his suspension would be up to 4 games... much more workable.

So, to answer my initial question, there are still a few things that could reverse this terrible news:

1 - he could WIN his appeal and not be suspended at all

2 - he could ONLY be suspended 4 games (if he is in stage 2, which I don't think is accurate)

3 - he COULD only be suspended 8 games (and possibly learn his lesson) and be back for our "playoff push"

So, I guess.... not all hope is lost. There are 4 different scenerios, so for now, don't expect any signings or trades regarding a WR until the final results are made public by Mr.Goodell ...

I read the NFL Substance Abuse Policy (linked)

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Drug%20Policy.pdf

According to this, Gordon should still only be in Stage 2 since he has only been suspended once following a positive test, last season. According to the policy, now IF there is a 2nd failed test, he should be suspended SIX games and advanced to Stage 3. IF he is to fail a test while in Stage 3, he faces "banishment" from the NFL for at least 1 season.

After doing some digging, the only source I found stating that Gordon is in Stage 3 was the "brilliant" Mary Kay Cabot who has no evidence or reason to have announced that; however, 20+ other internet sources have "quoted" her assumption, thus leading everybody in the NFL world to believe that Gordon is facing a year-long banishment.

Gordon's official status is confidential, according to the policy. So, considering the league was generous enough to decrease his initial suspension from the mandatory 4 games, to 2 games last season (which I have not found another example of them doing); they will MOST LIKELY levy the mandatory SIX GAME SUSPENSION, without pay, in this case, PLUS advancement to Stage 3.

Gordon has the right to appeal, of course. It is interesting b/c there IS an official appeals process, but there ISN'T anything stating results of appeals other than "the commissioner has final say no 'ifs, ands, or buts' about it (paraphrasing)." Maybe Goodel likes Gordon (based on decreasing his last suspension) and will do something similar this year. OR, maybe Gordon and his team have enough to dispute the charge all together.

We will see...

I think most likely, they gave him the benefit of the doubt last time - cough medicine, could be legit etc. But now he fails this, they feel let down, throw the book at him, one last deterrent. I think, depending on the outcome of the proceedings, it's the perfect time to open contract negotiations (if allowed by CBA?). We have so much leverage to give him a base of like $1m, then $1m for every every TD scored or something.

Not even that. Give him a blow value contract for three to four years. (Below value for his talent would still be north of 5 million a year) but put a clause in that he has to return any guaranteed money and the contract becomes voided if he fails another test.

That clause would already happen if he failed another test. He would be "banished" from the NFL for at least a year without pay. He could only earn back his signing bonus money if he was able to return to the league, where he would earn it back 1/17th per week at a time when he is actually able to play.

If we decide to keep him and he is able to produce like he did last year, I'd give him at least $9-10 million / year, but very little in terms of signing bonus, b/c if he screws up we don't have to pay him anyway... Plus, he would be able to look at those potential dollar signs, which could potentially deter him from getting high again... maybe

He's a budding (hahaha didn't mean that pun, but I love it) superstar. Hopefully the NFL recognizes this in their suspension. Get the kid some help. He's 23 and has a great future in front of him.

But the. Again he hasn't shown any reason to believe this won't continue.

I read the NFL Substance Abuse Policy (linked)

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Drug%20Policy.pdf

According to this, Gordon should still only be in Stage 2 since he has only been suspended once following a positive test, last season. According to the policy, now IF there is a 2nd failed test, he should be suspended SIX games and advanced to Stage 3. IF he is to fail a test while in Stage 3, he faces "banishment" from the NFL for at least 1 season.

After doing some digging, the only source I found stating that Gordon is in Stage 3 was the "brilliant" Mary Kay Cabot who has no evidence or reason to have announced that; however, 20+ other internet sources have "quoted" her assumption, thus leading everybody in the NFL world to believe that Gordon is facing a year-long banishment.

Gordon's official status is confidential, according to the policy. So, considering the league was generous enough to decrease his initial suspension from the mandatory 4 games, to 2 games last season (which I have not found another example of them doing); they will MOST LIKELY levy the mandatory SIX GAME SUSPENSION, without pay, in this case, PLUS advancement to Stage 3.

Gordon has the right to appeal, of course. It is interesting b/c there IS an official appeals process, but there ISN'T anything stating results of appeals other than "the commissioner has final say no 'ifs, ands, or buts' about it (paraphrasing)." Maybe Goodel likes Gordon (based on decreasing his last suspension) and will do something similar this year. OR, maybe Gordon and his team have enough to dispute the charge all together.

We will see...

From what I read from that dingbat Cabot or maybe the other equally incompetent Tom Reed is that the first violation is basically a slap on the wrist no consequence and confidential. Haven't checked the policy yet I'll have to give it a look.

From what I read from that dingbat Cabot or maybe the other equally incompetent Tom Reed is that the first violation is basically a slap on the wrist no consequence and confidential. Haven't checked the policy yet I'll have to give it a look.

Pretty much, but this would be at least Gordon's third... You don't get suspended for 2 games until at least your second violation, which happened last year...

Maybe he was in Colorado. And he was sitting in a cafe and just breathed it in LMAO

Really a stupid fucking rule for weed, but he needs to get it together. Hopefully its only 4 games.

You may not agree with it but its illegal in Ohio. It is federally illegal in all 50 states. Lastly and the most important it is a part of the CBA agreed on by the elected reps of the players. There is nothing that makes this anything other than stupid immature irresponsible behavior on Josh's part.

That clause would already happen if he failed another test. He would be "banished" from the NFL for at least a year without pay. He could only earn back his signing bonus money if he was able to return to the league, where he would earn it back 1/17th per week at a time when he is actually able to play.

If we decide to keep him and he is able to produce like he did last year, I'd give him at least $9-10 million / year, but very little in terms of signing bonus, b/c if he screws up we don't have to pay him anyway... Plus, he would be able to look at those potential dollar signs, which could potentially deter him from getting high again... maybe

I'm talking about guarenteed money as in, by this date you make X ammount. So on March 25th he gets paid lets say $1 million, then on Oct 23rd he gets suspended the rest of the season for failing his test. Yes he will lose the rest of that seasons paycheck, but he also has to pay us back that $1 million he got back in March.

You may not agree with it but its illegal in Ohio. It is federally illegal in all 50 states. Lastly and the most important it is a part of the CBA agreed on by the elected reps of the players. There is nothing that makes this anything other than stupid immature irresponsible behavior on Josh's part.

Its a stupid and immature law in itself but I agree Gordon is the one being the child. It's the law, follow it. However I would have to say that this is more addiction than anything right now. And don't give me the whole weed isn't addictive bullshit either. It's not addictive in the sense that it has an addictive chemical in it, like nicotine or heroin. But it is addictive in the sense that it can make a person feel good in a way that releases indorphines and there for becomes addictive. The same way alcohol and food can be addictive.

i think most people will agree that the law and the rule in the different pro leagues concerning weed is outdated but it is what it is now and gordon knew the consequences and still puffed.

weed is addictive maybe mentally but your body doesn't become physically dependent on it like an opiate.

they're reporting on the afternoon espn lineup that gordon has failed five drug tests since 2010. (i guess some were in college).

c'mon man.

you do know that gordon failed multiple drug test while at baylor, and then when they reached their limit with him and dismissed him from the team. he then transfers to utah and before the first practice he failed that drug test. this is why he entered the supplemental draft.

look i agree the laws on weed are out dated but if someone was going to pay me in the excess of $40mil for 6 years and part of the deal was not to drink alochol; you can be damn sure i would be sober as a judge

1st things it is still illegal in most states. 2nd its against its against league policy (just like most work environments). 3rd I know a lot of BBJ guys smoke pot because it slows things down for them when they practice and compete.

IT IS NOT ALOUD.

1st things it is still illegal in most states. 2nd its against its against league policy (just like most work environments). 3rd I know a lot of BBJ guys smoke pot because it slows things down for them when they practice and compete.

IT IS NOT ALOUD.

Did you smoke before you wrote this?

you do know that gordon failed multiple drug test while at baylor, and then when they reached their limit with him and dismissed him from the team. he then transfers to utah and before the first practice he failed that drug test. this is why he entered the supplemental draft.

look i agree the laws on weed are out dated but if someone was going to pay me in the excess of $40mil for 6 years and part of the deal was not to drink alochol; you can be damn sure i would be sober as a judge

If someone was going to pay me that much to give up caffeine, cigarettes, television, steak, or even sex for 6 years, I'd do it in a heartbeat (my wife wouldn't be happy about that last one). That's my concern about this situation (coming from a dually licensed addiction and mental health counselor)...

There has to be more to Gordon's problem than just wanting to "party," or "blow off steam." He's either struggling with mental illness and self-medicating, or he has an addiction. There is no way it's just lack of intelligence, or immaturity... Basic logic says "play football + don't do drugs = millions of dollars." I'm pretty sure I could teach a 6-year old that concept. So, there has to be more to this guy's problem, which scares me...

Archived