THE BROWNS BOARD

2016 O-Line Draft: Guards

Tour2ma

2016 O-Line Draft: Guards

Here are the OGs I am planning to break down this year in order as ranked by DraftScout as of 2/11/16:

He didn't include Denver Kirkland because I already brought him up.

The Browns aren't going to draft an OG in the first two or three rounds...

Kirkland isn't just big OG, he is a player.

Skipped Kirkland because he is slow, but will give him a look when I do Tretola... just for you, cal. ;) Meanwhile...

A. Cody Whitehair (KSU @ LT) - 6'4 300 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120254&draftyear=2016&genpos=OG

Hard to project a guy inside, but that's where DraftScout says he's destined to play, so I'll give it a shot based upon his play at LT. I'll start by saying he's probably the #4 LT on my board at present.

Kid makes PassPro look easy with a wide, choppy stance and active hands. Very economical, but not dripping with technique. I saw him struggle to anchor once against a 280-lb, Arkansas DE... just the once. And that's a LT with no kick step and no over-the-top technique. I did not see him against a speed rush except for a delayed DB blitz that he ate up.

In run blocking he's patient. He almost stalks his assignment... setting them up for a blow when he decides "it's time." And once he contacts his assignment he stays in contact... really drives and finishes, but is not "nasty". He could have really blown up a DB who closed in to meet a pull... he settled for simply knocking the DB on his ass.

Did I mention he was the only OL I saw pull for KSU? Looked pretty good too although his initial step wastes motion... an easy clean up. Coming off the line I saw a real blast in one goal-line situation. There's a lot to like here.

Inside? At OG? Need to see him against bigger, stronger DL. I still have the SR. Bowl saved so hopefully I can get an idea from that.

Skipped Kirkland because he is slow, but will give him a look when I do Tretola... just for you, cal. ;) Meanwhile...

1. Cody Whitehair (KSU @ LT) - 6'4 300 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120254&draftyear=2016&genpos=OG

Hard to project a guy inside, but that's where DraftScout says he's destined to play, so I'll give it a shot based upon his play at LT. I'll start by saying he's probably the #4 LT on my board at present.

Kid makes PassPro look easy with a wide, choppy stance and active hands. Very economical, but not dripping with technique. I saw him struggle to anchor once against a 280-lb, Arkansas DE... just the once. And that's a LT with no kick step and no over-the-top technique. I did not see him against a speed rush except for a delayed DB blitz that he ate up.

In run blocking he's patient. He almost stalks his assignment... setting them up for a blow when he decides "it's time." And once he contacts his assignment he stays in contact... really drives and finishes, but is not "nasty". He could have really blown up a DB who closed in to meet a pull... he settled for simply knocking the DB on his ass.

Did I mention he was the only OL I saw pull for KSU? Looked pretty good too although his initial step wastes motion... an easy clean up. Coming off the line I saw a real blast in one goal-line situation. There's a lot to like here.

Inside? At OG? Need to see him against bigger, stronger DL. I still have the SR. Bowl saved so hopefully I can get an idea from that.

When did K State and Arkansas play?

Hard to trust these big 12 OLs. There is a dearth of front 7 talent there.

B. Vadal Alexander (LSU @ RT) - 6'5 336 http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=121818&draftyear=2016&genpos=OG

Another collegiate OT projected to make the move inside at the next level. It is where he played last year when La'el Collins was his teammate. I was very curious about Vadal as I'd seen the value of this player, whom I did not know, rise significantly in the Play the Draft game. At 336 lbs., Vadal really looks the part for the move back inside.

Shortly into tape 1 of Vadal at RT vs. Miss St. it was apparent that he had no future at OT. He's just not athletic enough. His PassPro tech was OK until pressure arrives, but then it flies away. Mid-game he came alive some, but by Q4 he looked gassed. And he started watching the ball for the snap... in a home game... and he's nowhere quick enough to get away with that.

In the second tape vs. BAMA Vadal was simply overmatched. He spent a good deal of the game across from Reed. So long as Reed had two-gap responsibility Vadal could stmie him into a draw, but whenever Reed had one-gap, he won. Against smaller BAMA DEs and LBs Vadal had real issues. At times he'd look around as if to ask, "Where'd my assignment go?" He was late to speed rushers and the agile rusher could outflank him by taking left and right angles alternately.

Tape 3 saw Texas Tech in a bowl game. Easily Vadal's best showing physically despite facing smaller, quicker D-players. But Tech's D-players were not impressive. So long as the play was over him, Vadal faired reasonably well, but when the play was away... I actually got to the point where I questioned Vadal's football IQ. He never seemed to get in position to impact a play going away from him. Sometimes it was lack of speed; sometimes it was lack of hustle, but often he just looked lost.

For grins I looked at his 2015 game vs. Auburn at LG next to La'el Collins. World of difference was evident from the first snap. Vadal was coming off the ball and smacking 2nd level LBs. Later he started watching for the snap, but at least this was a road game. But in the end I did not see enough to justify his Play the Draft rise or for us to consider him.

If Hue really wants to change the personality of our Offense, I believe I have here someone who could help make that happen... but not without some cost.

Turner is a minimal technique, power OG who simply wrecks just about anyone he can get his hands on. Of all the OL I have looked at so far, if you let me have only one to go into a phone booth with to do battle against some badass DT, Landon's my guy. I even coined a new term for him... Power Anchor. In space? Not so much...

For a lumbering OG with not a hint of finesse, NC did pull him a fair amount. And he did OK much of the time with targets of opportunity that presented themselves at the edge. What he cannot do is turn a pull upfield or negotiate crossfield traffic to a downfield block. Just not enough speed/ agility to get to an assignment. He is no threat to the 2nd level and beyond. But should he bump into someone with the other color jersey, he will make a play.

His down-blocking on the line is fierce. Singled up on a DT in PassPro he is the immovable object. Singled up on a speed rusher? PassPro decisions were pretty good, but he lacks the ability recover and take on looping stunts.

Bottom line: May be too one dimensional for the NFL. DCs will scheme him to death in PassPro unless he is flanked by enough talent to cover for him.

By popular demand...

Clean up on aisle 55... First, although he was Arkansas' LT in 2015 you can see why he'd project to OG at the next level. Much thicker body than the longer, leaner OT candidates favored today. That said, I am not sure he projects better inside.

I said "clean up" above because there is a lot of foundational technique here that simply needs a tweak here and there. Kick step is not there, but feet are light in their chop and seat is good, so the kick should come. Reach and body lean are minimal, but hands need some work. He easily rode speed wide and beyond his QB. KSU did not test with a strong bull, so I don't know how he'd handle that.

Run blocking showcased more finesse (screening off) than power (drive blocking). One down block on a DT was very nice, but had the angle. Power is a question. Speed actually looks good and faster to my eye than the near 5.5 time listed at DraftScout. Kid is a Combine invitee so we shall see.

The other question is his head. In a couple PassPros he downblocked a double team with his LG without seeming to even see a looping LB; one was very obvious. But as a middle of Day 2 prospect he might be a good value... especially if he has two position potential.

Can I request Joe Dahl? Looks very good in the drills.

Already on list due to Sr. Bowl week showings.

Request Joshua Garnett (Stan). Is it fat or is it muscle?

Maybe first alt... but can always take a shot at him yourself... ;)

Archived