THE BROWNS BOARD

Derrick Morgan

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

Holy sh*t.

Morgan, GTech's 6'4", 270 pound defensive end, notched three sacks in the first half and came very close to notching two more. His absolutely amazing performance was only made better by his showing some skill playing in space, which will peak the interest of 3-4 teams.

Though only a junior, Morgan projects as a 1st rounder in next year's draft. He's a lot like Robert Ayers, only more productive - in two quarters tonight, he notched as many sacks as Ayers had his entire senior year.

Definitely a guy to keep an eye on. Belichick and Mangini like their OLB's big, and Morgan clearly fits the bill.

Guest Aloysius
Aloy...who is #37 cb for GT...he definetly looks the part of a real good corner.

Jerrard Tarrant, a 6'1", 202 pound redshirt sophomore. His return on the fake field goal/pooch punt was good stuff; you can see why Jon Dwyer compares him to Devin Hester.

As a corner, he started off strong, but got taken apart later in the game by Jacoby Ford, who made everyone else on the field look slow. Well, except for C.J. Spiller: those two guys are ridiculously fast.

Also Sapp #7 for clemson flashed pretty well.

He's coming off a partially torn ACL, which makes his explosiveness all the more impressive. Still think he's more of an athlete than a football player (lacks a variety of rush moves, not overly instinctive, etc.), but I'm hoping to see more from him. Obviously, the athleticism is there to make the switch to 3-4 OLB.

Guest Aloysius

The National Football Post's Wes Bunting on Morgan:

Witnessing a star

My final and most important note from this game is the development of Georgia Tech defensive end Derrick Morgan. I wrote about Morgan during the summer and came away impressed with his natural athletic ability, power and upside, but I felt that in order for him to take his game to the next level, he needed to improve his flexibility and overall footwork off the ball. And what I saw Thursday night was a guy who played with a much lower pad level than last year and was consistently able to take a positive first step off the snap. In turn, he was absolutely dominant in all areas of the game.

If Morgan is able to keep up this type of play, there’s no doubt he’ll be a first round pick. The question is: How high does he go? I had him ranked fifth on my junior defensive end list, which came out last Friday. But after seeing the improvements he made to his game in the offseason, there’s no reason he can’t and won’t be the top-rated defensive end in the county and a legitimate top-10 pick. Morgan’s performance was truly eye-opening.

Archived