THE BROWNS BOARD

College Football Pick 'Em--Week One

dencyguy

Sorry for the delay in posting this. Bad form to post the results for week one after week two has already kicked off, but better late than never, right? Week one of the college season is usually pretty much chalk, as good teams load up on junk food to play what amounts to an extra scrimmage before their "real" games start. Kudos to Alabama (sorry, I just threw up in my mouth a little from typing that), Va Tech, Georgia, OK State, LSU, Washington (hey, these games are scheduled years in advance--who knew?) and FSU and Miami for scheduling real opponents. Even Mississippi-Memphis wasn't a horrible matchup.

Most embarassing weekend for a conference goes to the ACC, hands down. Only one ACC team won against a BCS-conference opponent, and it was against another ACC team. The rest of the conference went 1-4 against D-1 opponents (good thing that Middle Tennessee State technically counts as D-1), and only 2-2 against 1-AA. I am not looking forward to the Orange Bowl this year. What a matchup! Who wouldn't want to see a 9-3 Virginia Tech team play 8-4 Rutgers? Oh, and sorry, 12-0 TCU...we've already taken Boise State, and if we let you have the other at-large team, what would we do with Notre Dame or the #3 team in the SEC?

Most embarassing weekend for a team goes to Iowa. I've been saying for years that Kirk Ferentz is the most overrated coach in college football, and nothing has changed. Why is this putz brought up for so many NFL coaching vacancies? In, what, a decade at Iowa, the best player he's produced has been Robert Gallery. Ugh.

Anyway, on to the results:

As I said, this week was mostly chalk, so not a whole lot of separation from top to bottom. Unless you count the people who didn't make picks.

Big Winners of the Week: Dency's Winners, Solon 16, MarkO, and Pa Pa Pickem!! all tied for the honor this week with 12 correct picks.

Shameful Dogs of the Week: Beanpot, DieHardBrownsFan, Big Ben is a Feminine Hygiene Product, Easy V, and J Carl each had nine points.

Here are the overall standings for this week and the season overall:

1 Dency's Winners 12 12-5

1 SOLON16 12 12-5

1 Mark O 12 12-5

1 Pa Pa Pickem!! 12 12-5

5 Irisheyez 11 11-6

5 Dawg Robiskets 11 11-6

5 Mr. Freeze 11 11-6

8 The Hammer 10 10-7

8 Thaak 10 10-7

8 ATENEARS 10 10-7

8 Timugen 10 10-7

8 DumAssWhiteGuy 10 10-7

8 Shake vs. Meatwad 10 10-7

8 Aloysius 10 10-7

15 Beanpot 9 9-8

15 BIG_BEN_IS_A_FEMININE_HYGIENE_PRODUCT 9 9-8

15 DieHardBrownsFan 9 9-8

15 EASYV 9 9-8

15 JCARL 9 9-8

20 Pickem Winners 0 0-17

20 Juki's Instant Losers 0 0-17

20 WVBrownsfan 0 0-17

Dennis

Guest Aloysius
Most embarassing weekend for a team goes to Iowa. I've been saying for years that Kirk Ferentz is the most overrated coach in college football, and nothing has changed. Why is this putz brought up for so many NFL coaching vacancies? In, what, a decade at Iowa, the best player he's produced has been Robert Gallery. Ugh.

Gallery may be the highest drafted player Ferentz has produced, but he isn't the best pro. Guys like Bob Sanders, Aaron Kampman, Dallas Clark, Eric Steinbach, and Chad Greenway are way ahead of him on the All-Ferentz list.

Archived