THE BROWNS BOARD

ESPN pure Mangini Hate

DAWGPOUND16

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4774598

Lol, Cris Carter is a joke.

He thinks Tom Cable deserves another year but Mangini doesn't.

I just posted this link in another thread. Cris Carter just proved to me that he is a biased moron who doesn't know shit about anything. The only reason he's even part of any broadcasting squad is because of his name. What a dumb asshole.

Really.The guy who's team just got 6 personal fouls and 2 players ejected deserves another year, but not the guy who's team is one of least penalizd teams in the NFL..has more than doubled the teams sack total from 2008..and a guy who's won 3 straight without even decent QB play' his team has played hard every week and not QUIT does't deserve another year..REALLY..I mean REALLY..Chris Carter can barely put together 5 words that make sense..He's a moron..period

If there is ONE NFL Coach who should be fired, it's Cable. His own out of control personality has obviously come through in his players. To me it is inconceivable that ANYONE would dare suggest that man deserves another year....but then he DOES work for the worst organization in the game.

Mike

Really.The guy who's team just got 6 personal fouls and 2 players ejected deserves another year, but not the guy who's team is one of least penalizd teams in the NFL..has more than doubled the teams sack total from 2008..and a guy who's won 3 straight without even decent QB play' his team has played hard every week and not QUIT does't deserve another year..REALLY..I mean REALLY..Chris Carter can barely put together 5 words that make sense..He's a moron..period

It's all that coke he did in the 80's.

Cris Carter sounds to me like a guy who hasn't been following the Browns for the last month.

I think that win or lose next week,....if Eric Mangini is gone it's simply Mike Holmgren's ego saying he wants his own guys. I think that this team has played well over the last seven weeks and they won today because of their coaching.

I don't know whether the delay of Mike Holmgren's press conference is because he's re-thinking the Mangini thing or whether it's a fait accomplit and he's just waiting for the end of the season because he's stirring up his first ****storm.

I hope the government investigates him for his "shoot the guy at the security desk and the guy in the back" analogy.

True, that struck me as an odd thing to say as well.

Of course, if Mike Holmgren is getting advice from Bill Parcells (as Cris is implying) then Parcells would have already told him to keep Mangini.

WOW. This dude is a joke. It's no wonder he's not working for the NFL. From what I seen today it looked like the Raiders should be playing ball for a prison team rather then the NFL. You can tell it's pure hate when he said that Mangini couldn't even do anything with the jets. Seeing as how he took them to the playoff's a place where Tom Cable has NEVER been just proves he's full of shyt. Espically after saying Mangini needs to go and Cable deserves a second chance.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4774598

Lol, Cris Carter is a joke.

He thinks Tom Cable deserves another year but Mangini doesn't.

You can add Jay Glazer to the mix. He said there's a less than 50% chance Holmgren will keep Mangini, seemingly thinking Holmgren sees a bigger long term picture than wins against the likes of the Chiefs, Raiders and Bills.

He apparently doesn't understand that Lerner and Holmgren both choosing to stay away from today's game is actually a huge vote of confidence for Mangini, showing that they both feel he's got things so well under control they don't need to be there in person.

I think mangini has earned another year with his 4th victory rather people like him or not ,the fact is we can see his plan finally coming together..i dont particularly like the man or buy into his "process" just yet but if holmgren keeps him and decides to go mangini's path im certainly not against it..daboll still has to go though...;)

Even if holmgren does let the geni go i now think he will coach again somewhere else ,im elated that we have the right structure started now and fully understand if holmgren wants to do it his way from scratch...im game either way i just want the browns to play hard and make us proud as they have since the bye week...;)

What worries me is that if Holmgren does pull a dick move and fires Mangini, he will get another job instantly. And guess what? We'll lose Ryan also. So, we'll not only lose a really good head coach working in the right direction but we'll lose the best Defensive Coordinator we have ever had.

If Holmgren dumps Mangini, I dump Hulmgren.

Of course, if Mike Holmgren is getting advice from Bill Parcells (as Cris is implying) then Parcells would have already told him to keep Mangini.

Just curious why you say that Earl.

I don't buy into this claim - Parcells brought in his own guy after Cameron was in Miami only 1 year. Also - at best Parcells has a distant association with Mangini. Maybe none.

I still say that Mangini lacks grativas across the NFL and believe he will be shown the door after next weeks's game.

It will be a fun Jacksonville game especially how well and together we've played the last 5 weeks or so. not everyone hated Mangini, some of understood it was going to get worse before it got better, Hell I'm shocked he did it this fast..Mangini had a plan and despite the negative media, locally and nationally he had the balls to stick with his convictions and his plan..An average man would have folded under such over whelming pressure, but not Coach Mangini..the bulls**t about his ego was a figment of the media and based on NO FACTS. Coach is only concerned about giving us the best team possible, one with players that are good players and good character guys, that us and are kids can be proud of..I have kids and thats the kind of team I want my kids to love. not a bunch of selfish,egotistical,me players(insert names)..Mr. Learner better recognize there are a lot of us out there that believe and like what Mangini and is doing here in Clevland and rebuilding our great franchise.

What worries me is that if Holmgren does pull a dick move and fires Mangini, he will get another job instantly. And guess what? We'll lose Ryan also. So, we'll not only lose a really good head coach working in the right direction but we'll lose the best Defensive Coordinator we have ever had.

If Holmgren dumps Mangini, I dump Hulmgren.

What is Ryan's D ranked?

Whatever Holmgren does is fine, we stink.

What is Ryan's D ranked?

Skrew the rankings. The only game we were able to run his scheme to the fullest was because we had 45mph wind gusts that allowed us to play man with our aweful CBs. You saw how that turned out. Once he gets quality players in here, he can out scheme the best OCs in the league. I'm not putting blind faith in anybody, even Holmgren, until he shows us he knows what is best for this team and shows he knows how to do this job. Losing Ryan or Mangini would be a terrible move.

Just curious why you say that Earl.

I don't buy into this claim - Parcells brought in his own guy after Cameron was in Miami only 1 year. Also - at best Parcells has a distant association with Mangini. Maybe none.

I still say that Mangini lacks grativas across the NFL and believe he will be shown the door after next weeks's game.

Because Bill Parcells and Eric Mangini have a long-standing relationship which is closer than "distant". See here

Cable has more wins than Mangini this year, against better opponents, and has won the games he has with JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski, and Charlie Frye starting at QB, and the Raiders have generally been more competitive than the Browns. He's a scumbag, but at this point he's a more successful scumbag.

As for Rob Ryan, I disliked the hire at the beginning, and I still think he's the wrong guy for the job. His defenses were average at best in Oakland, and this year it's been mediocre on its best days. I don't care how much he jumps around on the sidelines; he can't scheme for crap, and hopefully he'll be one and done along with Daboll.

As for Mangini, I'll trust Holmgren. If he thinks he can turn it around, I'll go along with it. My hunch is that Holmgren won't--looking at the games the Browns have won (and the way they've won), I never thought I'd say this, but this 4-11 team just isn't as good as their record indicates.

Dennis

Cable has more wins than Mangini this year, against better opponents, and has won the games he has with JaMarcus Russell, Bruce Gradkowski, and Charlie Frye starting at QB, and the Raiders have generally been more competitive than the Browns. He's a scumbag, but at this point he's a more successful scumbag.

As for Rob Ryan, I disliked the hire at the beginning, and I still think he's the wrong guy for the job. His defenses were average at best in Oakland, and this year it's been mediocre on its best days. I don't care how much he jumps around on the sidelines; he can't scheme for crap, and hopefully he'll be one and done along with Daboll.

As for Mangini, I'll trust Holmgren. If he thinks he can turn it around, I'll go along with it. My hunch is that Holmgren won't--looking at the games the Browns have won (and the way they've won), I never thought I'd say this, but this 4-11 team just isn't as good as their record indicates.

Dennis

On Rob Ryan......I don't really care what he did in Oakland. For the first time in many, many years, I see a pass rush from the Browns' defense. I see better tackling, and I see defenders in position to defend the pass better. Overall....I see the best defense that we have seen here for a while....and with not a lot of talent. Hopefully, you are wrong about Holmgren........and no....they are exactly where they should be.......4 - 11, and may end up 5 -12.......which is an improvement. It's too bad a lot of you guys can't or won't recognize the transformation that has taken place with this team under Mangini. I just don't get it.....why some are just obsessed with firing Mangini......with the distinct possibilty that we could get somebody a lot worse than him in here.

I just don't get it.....why some are just obsessed with firing Mangini......with the distinct possibilty that we could get somebody a lot worse than him in here.

With you 100% on this, in fact given recent trends it's not only a possibility but a probability that we get a coach much worse. After all, this is the first December since probably Mack and Byner that we have outrushed every team we played, and fairly significantly. Seems like we've been looking for a coach that can win with smashmouth football in December for a long time, at least I sure have.

What is Ryan's D ranked?

I don't think the rankings and style of play are reflected in the rankings. I think it has more to do with inferior players.

The addition of Roth made a big difference in our results. Put 2-3-4 more players on the D and I bet the ranking improve dramatically.

You don't think so??

JMO

I never thought I'd say this, but this 4-11 team just isn't as good as their record indicates.

Dennis

Really?

The team has a good chance to improve from its 4-12 record last year and could easily be in position to finish 7-9 but for a strip of Harrison against Cincy returned for a TD and a last-ditch hail Mary attempt and a questionable interference penalty against the Lions. And they did it while trading away key players from last year's team for 2010 picks, and righting a salary cap gone horribly wrong. And with key early injuries to Tucker, Heiden, Hadnot and James Davis . . . all of whom I think they were counting on to contribute to the offense.

Oakland will likely have the same record it had last year. 5 wins.

And did you happen to notice the obviously better coached team on Sunday when our Browns pretty easily handled Cable's Raiders? You'd think that might sway your thinking a bit in the Cable/Mangini debate.

Over the last three games, we are the best running team in the NFL. In two of the three games we've been stout against the run. We've been vulnerable against the pass, but we have a WR playing safety and a safety playing corner.

I'm guessing that the teams fighting for their playoff lives this week . . . Baltimore, New York, Pitt, are glad they aren't facing the Browns.

Right now, I'd say we are one of the more dangerous sub .500 teams in the NFL.

I don't think the rankings and style of play are reflected in the rankings. I think it has more to do with inferior players.

The addition of Roth made a big difference in our results. Put 2-3-4 more players on the D and I bet the ranking improve dramatically.

You don't think so??

JMO

I definately want to grab all the positives of this season and move forward.

But the bottom line is we are a bad team who capitalized on fellow cellar dwellars and a Pitt team on the decline.

All i'm saying is i won't cry foul if Holmgren says goodbye to ANY of the coaches.

But if he keeps them then i do expect to be better than this years team right out of the gate next year.

Really?

The team has a good chance to improve from its 4-12 record last year and could easily be in position to finish 7-9 but for a strip of Harrison against Cincy returned for a TD and a last-ditch hail Mary attempt and a questionable interference penalty against the Lions. And they did it while trading away key players from last year's team for 2010 picks, and righting a salary cap gone horribly wrong. And with key early injuries to Tucker, Heiden, Hadnot and James Davis . . . all of whom I think they were counting on to contribute to the offense.

Oakland will likely have the same record it had last year. 5 wins.

And did you happen to notice the obviously better coached team on Sunday when our Browns pretty easily handled Cable's Raiders? You'd think that might sway your thinking a bit in the Cable/Mangini debate.

Over the last three games, we are the best running team in the NFL. In two of the three games we've been stout against the run. We've been vulnerable against the pass, but we have a WR playing safety and a safety playing corner.

I'm guessing that the teams fighting for their playoff lives this week . . . Baltimore, New York, Pitt, are glad they aren't facing the Browns.

Right now, I'd say we are one of the more dangerous sub .500 teams in the NFL.

Yes, it is true that the Browns are in position to improve on last year's 4-12 record. Sure, it's only by one game, but in five years--watch out!

The Browns clearly handled the Raiders on Sunday, and I did think about whether or not that would affect my argument about Cable being better this year than Mangini. On the balance, I still think Cable has donte a better job this year. If you want to count the games the Browns have lost--but were competitive in--then you would have to do the same for the Raiders.

As to the running game. The Browns have absolutely done a great job running the football in the last couple of games. What about the early part of the season--does Mangini bear any responsibility for that? Since Harrison has clearly shown that he's the #1 back on the team, why did it take the Mangenius so long to recognize his talent? Would the Browns have been so good on the ground if Jamal Lewis hadn't gotten injured, thus making the decision for him?

As for the bubble teams not wanting to play the Browns, I'm for being a fan, but while I'm sure they would rather play the Chiefs or Lions, being the most dangerous 4-11 team in the NFL is hardly something to hang your hat on.

Dennis

Yes, it is true that the Browns are in position to improve on last year's 4-12 record. Sure, it's only by one game, but in five years--watch out!

The Browns clearly handled the Raiders on Sunday, and I did think about whether or not that would affect my argument about Cable being better this year than Mangini. On the balance, I still think Cable has donte a better job this year. If you want to count the games the Browns have lost--but were competitive in--then you would have to do the same for the Raiders.

As to the running game. The Browns have absolutely done a great job running the football in the last couple of games. What about the early part of the season--does Mangini bear any responsibility for that? Since Harrison has clearly shown that he's the #1 back on the team, why did it take the Mangenius so long to recognize his talent? Would the Browns have been so good on the ground if Jamal Lewis hadn't gotten injured, thus making the decision for him?

As for the bubble teams not wanting to play the Browns, I'm for being a fan, but while I'm sure they would rather play the Chiefs or Lions, being the most dangerous 4-11 team in the NFL is hardly something to hang your hat on.

Dennis

People who point to the first part of the season don't understand what it means to rebuild a team. Of course you're going to struggle early on. The recent success is a result of a good system being executed properly. And Harrison? I think it is better that he is in now instead of before he was ready. PLayers need to earn their time so I have no problem with keeping him out early on. Plus, he fumbles a little bit more than any HC can be comfortable with.

4-11 is something to hang your hat on. Fans have a problem lumping the last 11 years together. This is year one with Mangini. And if you can win 5 games, one against the Steelers, in a rebuilding building year, you're doing pretty well. And its something to hang your hat on.

People who point to the first part of the season don't understand what it means to rebuild a team. Of course you're going to struggle early on. The recent success is a result of a good system being executed properly. And Harrison? I think it is better that he is in now instead of before he was ready. PLayers need to earn their time so I have no problem with keeping him out early on. Plus, he fumbles a little bit more than any HC can be comfortable with.

4-11 is something to hang your hat on. Fans have a problem lumping the last 11 years together. This is year one with Mangini. And if you can win 5 games, one against the Steelers, in a rebuilding building year, you're doing pretty well. And its something to hang your hat on.

Oh please. We only ended up at 4-12 last year because we had Gradkowski and friggin` Ken Dorsey at QB for the last 4 games. Had both Quinn and DA not both been injured, we would have likely won at least one more game and ended at 5-11. Right now we`re 4-11. That`s four wins. That is not an improvement over last year, and even if we win a 5th game it won`t mean anything.

If Jamal hadn`t been injured he would still be in playing right now, and we wouldn`t have won 3 straight. Everyone would then be calling for Mangini`s head. The problem with Clevelanders is they`re so used to utterly degenerate play that a tiny sliver of hope gets them into an ecstasy-induced fervor.

So our team is good enough to beat the bottom feeders. Whoop dee doo. Mangini has consistently demonstrated an inability to handle working with people of authority. He will only be a headache to Holmgren, and I think Holmgren already realizes this.

I predict Mangini being gone after this year.

Oh please. We only ended up at 4-12 last year because we had Gradkowski and friggin` Ken Dorsey at QB for the last 4 games. Had both Quinn and DA not both been injured, we would have likely won at least one more game and ended at 5-11. Right now we`re 4-11. That`s four wins. That is not an improvement over last year, and even if we win a 5th game it won`t mean anything.

If Jamal hadn`t been injured he would still be in playing right now, and we wouldn`t have won 3 straight. Everyone would then be calling for Mangini`s head. The problem with Clevelanders is they`re so used to utterly degenerate play that a tiny sliver of hope gets them into an ecstasy-induced fervor.

So our team is good enough to beat the bottom feeders. Whoop dee doo. Mangini has consistently demonstrated an inability to handle working with people of authority. He will only be a headache to Holmgren, and I think Holmgren already realizes this.

I predict Mangini being gone after this year.

So you're saying that last year with a supposedly much better roster we almost won 5 games?

Mangini cut 26 guys from that roster and traded a handful of others. How many of those cut have caught on with other teams? (hint, you can count them on one hand).

We beat bad teams, so what? We're a bad team, and you've got to start somewhere. Letting Mangini go would be a travesty after what he's built from nothing.

I understand what it means to be a rebuilding team; nobody but the most delusional people would have thought this was a playoff team this year. However, even rebuilding teams can be competitive. How many times were the Browns embarassed duing Belichick's first year? Once, against the Redskins. Even though they lost ten games, they only lost three by more than one score. In short, they were in every game except one. He had more talent than Mangini (although he clearly didn't think so), but he also coached the team to keep games close and give the team a shot at the end.

Can we say that about Mangini? The numbers: in 11 losses, the Browns have been outscored 306-139 (a 167 point spread, or a little over 15 points a game). Bear in mind that Mangini's specialty is defense, as is Rob "Clearly the Next Great Coach in Waiting" Ryan's. They have been within one score in three of eleven losses. By contrast, in their four wins, the score has been 83-52 (a 31 point spread, or 7.75 points a game). All but one have been by one score or less. Surprisingly, three of the team's four wins come against three of the four worst opponents they've faced.

The Browns have played better of late, but it doesn't make sense to ignore blowout losses to good teams as the normal growing pains of a rebuilding franchise while pointing to squeakers against subpar opponents as proof that the team is on the right track.

As for Harrison, I'm still not giving Mangini as pass on this one. He's in his 4th season...don't you think it's a possibility (however slight) that he got more playing time because Jamal Lewis was put on IR, rather than his miraculously finding Jesus in the last three weeks and deserving to get on the field?

Dennis

I answered this dismissive line of logic in another thread. It hasn't been all Harrison. The offensive line has been amazing in this run . . . and most will tell you that an offensive line needs to play together for a while to jell as a unit. We had 170 yards plus against the #1 rush defense in the NFL (Pittsburgh) and Harrison hardly even contributed to that. In the historic game against the Chiefs, our offensive line had one of the most dominating performances I've ever seen. There were the proverbial holes that you could have driven a truck through. On one play I saw Mack knock down the first guy in his path and then drive a LBer 15 yards off the ball and into the end zone.

Just for the sake of the "it's all Harrison" argument, lets compare the Pitt and Oakland game, remembering that Pitt is the #1 rushing defense in the NFL and Oakland like 30th. Harrison had a 3.8 ypc average on 39 carries against Oakland, while Jennings -- a guy that a CFL team cut -- had 3.7 yards a carry on 20 carries against Pitt. Harrison had 7 carries and averaged well under 2 yards a carry in that game. The week before Harrison had 10 carries against SD and averaged 3.5 yards. Jennings averaged 5.8 yards a carry in that game. Cribbs has averaged about 8 yards a carry in this same span. Yet, Mangini rewarded Harrison by giving him feature back carries against KC for demonstrating he could pick up a blitz.

Also don't forget that starting week 3 of the season, Mangini tried to give Harrison more work. He gave him 17 carries against Baltimore where Harrison averaged 3.3 yards per carry. The next week he gave Harrison 29 carries against Cincy where Harrison rushed for 4.2 yards a rush, but got stripped for a 75 yard Cincy' TD. He then was unable to practice most of the next week and averaged only 2.6 yards on his 8 carries against Buffalo while Lewis gained over 100 yards. Harrison then got some work as a third down back and one one memorable play made no attempt to pick up a blitz and nearly got Quinn killed.

The line play has gotten better. Mack gets better each game. It's not just Harrison.

And talk to me when Harrison has kept this up from the start of the season through its mid point. He's been terrific, but you have a guy who's got fresh legs going up against defenses in week 15 and 16 of an NFL season. A feature back has to be able to play nicked up and be a guy you can count on to carry a load through a 16 game schedule and hopefully into the playoffs. I think it was 2004 when Lee Suggs had a similar finish to a season.

Okay, but the main point of your post was that they are worse than their 4-11 record. Talent-wise, you may be right. But that's largely a vestige of the previous regime's failure. What I contest in your statement is that they are actually playing better than any other 4-11 or 5-10 team. Probably better than a couple who are 7-8.

So you're saying that last year with a supposedly much better roster we almost won 5 games?

Mangini cut 26 guys from that roster and traded a handful of others. How many of those cut have caught on with other teams? (hint, you can count them on one hand).

We beat bad teams, so what? We're a bad team, and you've got to start somewhere. Letting Mangini go would be a travesty after what he's built from nothing.

Your citing of the 24/26 stats only serves to indicate that we were in fact a terribly untalented team last year. Yet even with that terrible roster had DA or BQ still been at QB for the last 4 games we would have ended up with 5 wins. This year other than Pittsburgh the Browns have been beating on bottom-feeders. We are a 4-11 team, a record that demonstrates we still suck. Sure we`re not the worst team in the NFL, but we`re no better than we were last year. Without Harrison and Cribbs, we really would be at the bottom of the barrel. We`ve already reached our ceiling under Mangini. Just like when he was with the NYJ, the best we`ll become under him is a mediocre, 8-8 team that only makes the playoffs if it gets lucky.

Other negative points of Mangini is that he is a terribe play-caller and game-manager, utterly fails at making in-game adjustments, and is completely unable to work with other people. Holmgren`s vision of a consensus-based team essentially precludes Mangini from being in the picture.

Archived