THE BROWNS BOARD

Titans fire RB Coach Earnest Byner

TheClevelandSound

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...-earnest-byner/

A day after his 22-year-old conference title-game blunder was knocked down a peg in the pantheon of pro football pants-pooping, former Browns running back Earnest Byner has lost his job.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean reports that the Titans have fired Byner, who joined the team in 2008 as its running backs coach.

In 2009, one of Byner's charges, Chris Johnson, rushed for 2,006 yards.

Per the report, Kennedy Pola will replace Byner.

If the Titans had moved more quickly, they could have brought back Sherman Smith, who worked for the team from 1995 through 2007 before taking a job with the Redskins. Smith recently joined Pete Carroll's staff in Seattle.

Then again, maybe Titans coach Jeff Fisher waited to dump Byner so that Fisher wouldn't have to tell Smith to get lost.

WHAT THE F*CK

yeah i saw this a couple days ago. this seems weird considering that johnson had one of the best years ever for a rb. maybe it's because he hasn't developed lendale white.

I don't care if he didn't develop Emmit Smith. There is no reason to fire a RB Coach after he produces a 2,000+ yard rusher. I'm not giving all the credit to Byner, but thats who Chris Johnson has been coached from throughout his whole NFL career. Somethings fishy.

Must be a personal issue of some sort, though it could be work related.

Just because a player like Johnson runs wild doesn't mean the coach is fulfilling all of the duties required.

maybe earnest didn't want to hang around for coaches meetings or something along those lines.

yeah i saw this a couple days ago. this seems weird considering that johnson had one of the best years ever for a rb. maybe it's because he hasn't developed lendale white.

NO WAY! The only thing that could develop White is a Ho-Ho. He's soft. I smell something Fishy (pun intended)

Must be a personal issue of some sort, though it could be work related.

Just because a player like Johnson runs wild doesn't mean the coach is fulfilling all of the duties required.

maybe earnest didn't want to hang around for coaches meetings or something along those lines.

I'm a BIG Byner fan but the 2 things I heard locally in Nashville are:

1) The replacement for him coached at USC before he coached for former Trojan Jack Del Rio. Fisher's homebase is USC so I think we kind of get the picture that the common variable in this is USC guy.

2) Byner had some disagreements with key offensive coaches in spite of how well he coached up the RBs.

- Tom F.

I don't know, maybe Byner was screwing the bosses daughter. Nevertheless, based on his track record, he shouldn't be out of work long.

Who is the Browns RB coach? Maybe we could use Byner?

Gary Brown is the Browns RB coach, and considering the the production out of Harrison and the emergence of Jennings, I assume Mangini things it was a job well done. Our running game improved after the starter went down, which is a big thumbs up for th ecoaching staff, imo.

Zombo

Per kffl.com: http://www.kffl.com/player/13669/nfl

Jaguars | Byner hired

Comment (0) Fri, 29 Jan 2010 15:09:48 -0800

Updating a previous report, Gary Estwick, of The Tennessean, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars have hired former Tennessee Titans assistant coach Earnest Byner as their new running backs coach, according to his agent.

Archived