THE BROWNS BOARD

Born to be a Bengal

Dawgstucknpa

Maualuga arrested for DUI

Posted by Mike Florio on January 29, 2010 8:01 AM ET

Just as the "day without an arrest" meter crept back into double digits, there's been another incident.

Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga was arrested Friday morning for DUI and careless in Kentucky. (Thanks to Mo Egger of 1530 Homer for the head's up.)

It's unknown whether the field sobriety test included asking Maualuga to correctly spell his own name.

I'd still take his skill set though......

Maualuga arrested for DUI

Posted by Mike Florio on January 29, 2010 8:01 AM ET

Just as the "day without an arrest" meter crept back into double digits, there's been another incident.

Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga was arrested Friday morning for DUI and careless in Kentucky. (Thanks to Mo Egger of 1530 Homer for the head's up.)

It's unknown whether the field sobriety test included asking Maualuga to correctly spell his own name.

I'd still take his skill set though......

That prolly went over like a fart in church when he tried to pronounce his last name to the cop shortly before "okay, get out of the car."

I remembered my tunnelvision for Rey if we drafted Defense first and Harvin if we drafted Offense first. While BOTH kids had GREAT rookie seasons for their teams - Alo cautioned me "don't forget character." Even though he's one of my favorite draft gurus, I thought he was just being a little too tough on both kids.

As this would play out - last year Harvin failed a drug test with THC in the blood right after I bragged up his weight room dedication and big game heroics. My Nikes tasted like Linberger Cheese. And now Rey, for some inexplicable reason, would rather DRINK and party during the weeks of football All Star games. Not only that but after he finally silenced some of his critics with a solid rookie season (even Cris Collinsowrth complimented) - he goes and does something this stupid. You're making NFL cake kid - PAY a taxi driver for God sakes.

As Stalllworth proved to us - there's so much more to becoming a successful player than just possessing talent. You HAVE to be just as accountable in the offseason as you are during the season. If you aren't, you become more known for buyer's remorse than you are for your football talent. And that ain't good.

- Tom F.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4868922

CINCINNATI -- Police in northern Kentucky have arrested Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Rey Maualuga on charges of drunken and careless driving.

Covington police spokesman Spike Jones says Maualuga hit a parking meter and two parked cars early Friday with his 2003 Pontiac. There was minor damage.

The 23-year-old is being held without bond at Kenton County jail, and no attorney is listed for him.

The Bengals' 2009 second-round draft choice from Southern Cal started the first 15 games of his rookie season before breaking his left ankle.

Team spokesman Jack Brennan says he won't comment until the case is resolved.

Why was he driving a 2003 Pontiac???

I still am not sure why everyone that he had a good season in cincy...he looked solid at times..but very lost others and i was never impressed..

rookie stat line

Year Team Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD Int Yds TD

2009 Cincinnati Bengals 35 24 1 4.5 2 0 2 0 0 0

We had better production out of Trusnick...just sayin'

I still am not sure why everyone that he had a good season in cincy...he looked solid at times..but very lost others and i was never impressed..

rookie stat line

Year Team Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD Int Yds TD

2009 Cincinnati Bengals 35 24 1 4.5 2 0 2 0 0 0

We had better production out of Trusnick...just sayin'

you are spot on destinfunk. thats what i have thought all along. his numbers were very average even by rookie standards. I mean you look at the seasons cushing and matthews had and they blow him out of the water. His stats are more comparable to maiavas out of all of the usc linebackers. he got burnt and had trouble covering in the passing game. he had trouble staying on the field on obvious passing situations, more of a rotational linebacker. even against the run he was stout up the middle but had trouble sideline to sideline and in watching many of the bengals games this year being stuck in the dayton market i noticed that he at times had trouble and missed tackles from time to time. After watching him over the course of the year i can see why many teams passed on him due to some charactar questions and the question of just how good of a linebacker he really was as far as risk and reward as many scouts said he would have trouble staying on the field at times and would be a rotational linebacker. So far after the first season the people who passed on him seem to be right ecspecially after this latest event. I think he will be an ok linebacker in the nfl but not the imapact linebacker some think he is or will be!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4868922

Why was he driving a 2003 Pontiac???

Well, if you're gonna get wasted and drive into parked cars, best to take the beater out, instead of the Mercedes. :)

Still no comprendo how guys that got million buck signing bonuses would rather drive than hire a limo for a night of fun.

Cincinnati Bengals LB Rey Maualuga Popped for DUI

Submitted by Eugmc on January 29, 2010 - 10:56am. CrimeMore SportsNFLNewsOhioSports

Uh, oh... The Cincinnati Bengals have legal issues again. After a jail free 2009 season, Rey Maualuga broke the streak when he was busted for drunken driving after playing dodge-ems (actually probably should be called hit 'ems) after a night of wild partying in Covington, Kentucky last night. The 23-year-old totaled his vehicle and smashed into parked cars and a parking meter in the crash.

In Maualuga's 2009 Pontiac were two young females, one 18 and the other a juvenile. Many pundits questioned why the Cleveland Browns didn't draft the standout linebacker from USC, but the organization said they stayed away because of off the field issues. It looks like Eric Mangini got one right for a change.

peterbell say:

Gee.Ya think Eric got it right..Can you be any more of a moron then this guy..Drunk, reckless driving, 2 teenage girls in the car..one underage..Character counts..always has,,always will. This guy is looking at possible jail time and at least 4 game suspension..people have chided Eric for always picking "choir boys" so to speak, but he had character issues going into the draft..You are what you are..people rarely change. you want your kid walking around with rey reys jersey on?

Here's the old thread where we discussed Rey's character issues:

Rey Maualuga

As you can see, a lot of Rey's issues were well-documented before the draft. And according to Brent "SOBO" Sobleski, Rey reeked of booze on the flight down to the 2009 Senior Bowl.

I'm glad we passed on him.

Well, if you're gonna get wasted and drive into parked cars, best to take the beater out, instead of the Mercedes. :)

Still no comprendo how guys that got million buck signing bonuses would rather drive than hire a limo for a night of fun.

It sounds like he was driving one of them Cini-tucky girl's cars. I'm with you though, why not call a cab or a limo if you wanna profile? In my youth, I would spend the night in the backseat parked in the lot rather than drive drunk. These guys kids are just stupid. And its not just "easy for me to say" because I'm not in that world, the only thing I have at stake if caught drunk driving is some embarresment. If you have millions at stake, WTF?!

PS. HOW IN THE HELL DOES MARVIN LEWIS HAVE A JOB?!?!?!?

alg_rex_gestures.jpg

LMAO! Great comment. We need more humor and less name calling on this board. :lol:

I am shocked to hear that another bungle has run into trouble with the law. This almost leaves me speechless what with a resurrgent season a renewed focus, the coach of the year and on and on. Almost as good as chad 85 showing up for the one and done post season in his new truck with his nfl shop name on the side panel in case he forgets where he parked it, that took him 6 months to build. Where is Pete Carroll when you need him? The best part of this whole story is the fact that with his 2nd round salary and bonus money from the typically penny pinching Mike Brown, this clown could ony afford a 2003 pontiac.i first started my bag collection with a coach purses

Archived