THE BROWNS BOARD

Why we should not trade a draft pick for a QB.

WebsterSlaughter

The Browns should not trade a draft pick for a QB. Here are my reasons.

1. The Browns need all 11 picks this year. There are many holes to fill on this team. Making good use of these picks can allow the Browns to make great advancement in the rebuilding process.

2. If you trade a draft pick for an aging veteran, you will need to draft a new QB anyways by the time the team becomes seriously competitive. Let's say you trade for injury-prone McNabb. By the time the Browns are ready to make a serious run, he will be at least 35 and over the hill. Then we would be forced to turn things over to a rookie.

3. Quinn is unproven. Quinn has less career starts than Mark Sanchez. Obviously Quinn has not had enough starts to be rationally evaluated. Also he has played in two different systems in 3 years. He has also never enjoyed the full backing of the coaching staff. Mismanagement at its best. Oh, and Quinn also produced comparable if not better numbers than the Jets savior Mark Sanchez.

Mark Sanchez

Brady Quinn

The best course of action would be to draft you franchise QB in this upcoming draft, and play him immediately. The next best option is to give Quinn a full year complete with all the reps in mini-camp and training camp to see what you have. If he doesn't show improvement, draft a franchise QB next year. And of course get rid of DA.

I do not want to trade a good draft pick for an old vet QB, Kolb might be a different story.

Brady has had three years to improve and so has anderson. After three years in the system you should show some improvement. Look at the guy who backed up Vick, he never played but looked pretty good when he got his chance. Palmer looked pretty good in his first few starts after sitting out his first season. I'm sure there are guys playing in the arena league with more accurate arms than our two QBs.

My only question is: whoever suggested that we should trade a draft pick for a QB?

How else are we going to get a different QB that is not a rookie? Unless we trade a player, but to pry away a McNabb, we may have to get rid of more players than we like.

I do not want to trade a good draft pick for an old vet QB, Kolb might be a different story.

Brady has had three years to improve and so has anderson. After three years in the system you should show some improvement. Look at the guy who backed up Vick, he never played but looked pretty good when he got his chance. Palmer looked pretty good in his first few starts after sitting out his first season. I'm sure there are guys playing in the arena league with more accurate arms than our two QBs.

Again, and nobody seems to be responding to me when I say this...

We won't get Kolb if he's any good. If the Eagles like him, and think he's the future, their asking price will be more than we are willing to pay. If we can get him for even just a single 1st rounder, then he is likely not worth what we spend.

Quinn hasn't had three years in one system. First of all he only played one series his rookie year. He has never even had a full training camp as the starter. The Browns have been the ones who have hindered his development.

Well, I don't remember Bernie Kosar ever looking lost as a rookie, like Quinn has often looked.

That's my standard, Bernie Koar.

We need a qb who has the instincts and the keen ability to see the field and react accordingly, a natural qb.

Quinn hasn't had three years in one system. First of all he only played one series his rookie year. He has never even had a full training camp as the starter. The Browns have been the ones who have hindered his development.

You know, the same thing can basically be said about Derek Anderson. Didn't play his rookie year, a couple games his second year, new O coordinator his third year, never had a full training camp as a starter... and he's produced on occasion, something you can't say about Quinn.

Back to your original post...

Giving up a third rounder and maybe even a player they don't intend to use for a veteran QB that offers some stability at the position could be a very smart idea. 11 picks, it's all a crap shoot anyway, in the overall picture giving up one crap shot for a semi-proven commodity seems like a smart idea. Brady Quinn has had three years of coaching staffs watching what he can and can not do in practice, preseason and games. Mangini and Co. have a pretty good idea of what he's capable of.

Giving up a third rounder and maybe even a player they don't intend to use for a veteran QB that offers some stability at the position could be a very smart idea. 11 picks, it's all a crap shoot anyway, in the overall picture giving up one crap shot for a semi-proven commodity seems like a smart idea. Brady Quinn has had three years of coaching staffs watching what he can and can not do in practice, preseason and games. Mangini and Co. have a pretty good idea of what he's capable of.

And what veteran QB out there that's worth a crap (satisfies what we want him for) will we be able to get for only a 3rd rounder and Corey Williams? I guarantee you that McNabb, Favre and Warner will not go that cheaply (Kolb will only go that cheaply if he isn't the answer anyways--not to mention he's not really a proven veteran) and Kerry Collins is way past his prime.

Guest Metcalf_FTW

QUINN IS JUST AS UNPROVEN AS DEREK ANDERSON. Actually, Anderson as proved that he can make it to the Pro Bowl when he actually has help. Quinn has no arm strength and is not accurate. Anderson is not always accurate, either, but he is far better than Quinn in that field. I guess this is an ongoing argument that will never die until one of these QBS are traded.

QUINN IS JUST AS UNPROVEN AS DEREK ANDERSON. Actually, Anderson as proved that he can make it to the Pro Bowl when he actually has help. Quinn has no arm strength and is not accurate. Anderson is not always accurate, either, but he is far better than Quinn in that field. I guess this is an ongoing argument that will never die until one of these QBS are traded.

The argument will go on even after Anderson is traded. You folks will continue to follow him and praise him, all the while trashing the quarterback that is actually on our team. I'm starting to wonder if some of these folks are even Browns fans, or are they just Anderson fans?

I don't know what he's done that makes him the jewel of everyone's eye. He won 10 games against a cupcake schedule with a receiver who found his thumbs and a tight end that actually saw the field more than he was injured. He was the third string QB of the Pro Bowl. He still didn't lead us to the postseason (don't make Indy the scapegoat). By all means, let's continue to praise him, he's obviously the second coming of Jesus.

The most accuracy DA shows is when he is throwing the ball to someone NOT wearing an orange helmet. The only thing you can say positive and with a straight face about DA's quarterbacking skills is that he has a cannon for an arm. Other than that, he has nothing. He got into the Pro Bowl by default. He was not supposed to be there. He also has gone backward since then. He could not produce in the Pro Bowl with the league's most talented players around him. If it weren't for Braylon and K2 hauling in a ton of balls that should have been uncatchable, then DA would not have had any success that season either. Those two decided around the halfway point of the season not to sell themselves out anymore for poorly thrown passes. Then what happened? DA came back to earth. That season was a product of everyone around him having incredible seasons rather than a product of DA actually being good.

Anyway, the only way I trade a pick is for Kolb. I think he is going to be good and he is more than ready to take the reigns as a starter in the NFL. Why not with Cleveland? If there is a GM in the league that can pry him from Philly, it's Heckert.

The most accuracy DA shows is when he is throwing the ball to someone NOT wearing an orange helmet. The only thing you can say positive and with a straight face about DA's quarterbacking skills is that he has a cannon for an arm. Other than that, he has nothing. He got into the Pro Bowl by default. He was not supposed to be there. He also has gone backward since then. He could not produce in the Pro Bowl with the league's most talented players around him. If it weren't for Braylon and K2 hauling in a ton of balls that should have been uncatchable, then DA would not have had any success that season either. Those two decided around the halfway point of the season not to sell themselves out anymore for poorly thrown passes. Then what happened? DA came back to earth. That season was a product of everyone around him having incredible seasons rather than a product of DA actually being good.

Anyway, the only way I trade a pick is for Kolb. I think he is going to be good and he is more than ready to take the reigns as a starter in the NFL. Why not with Cleveland? If there is a GM in the league that can pry him from Philly, it's Heckert.

And again, the price it will take to get Kolb if he's worth trying to get, will be too high for us to want him.

He won 10 games against a cupcake schedule with a receiver who found his thumbs and a tight end that actually saw the field more than he was injured. He was the third string QB of the Pro Bowl. He still didn't lead us to the postseason (don't make Indy the scapegoat).

Teams are supposed to have receivers that can catch and tight ends that play. In that surrounding, the kid did pretty well. Boo hoo... he was third string Pro Bowl in his first season of starts... that obviously means he's worth less than a pretty boy who can dump the ball for a two yard gain with consistency. And yes... he helped the team win 10, TEN, 10 games. That's gonna put a team in the playoffs in most cases. Can't blame him for another team laying down and letting another team in.

The last two seasons the Browns have not had good QB play from anyone... concussions, line injuries, receiver injuries, new system, new (rookie) starting receivers, you name it. The closest to "normal" this team has played was the last 5 games of the season.

You know, the same thing can basically be said about Derek Anderson. Didn't play his rookie year, a couple games his second year, new O coordinator his third year, never had a full training camp as a starter... and he's produced on occasion, something you can't say about Quinn.

He also got cut by the Ravens. Because most NFL scouts that don't work for the Browns know he stinks.

Stop drinking during the day. Anderson couldn't even complete 50% of his passes this year. Unacceptable for an NFL QB. So please tell me how he is more accurate. I'm tired of people being blinded by his rocket arm.

Teams are supposed to have receivers that can catch and tight ends that play. In that surrounding, the kid did pretty well. Boo hoo... he was third string Pro Bowl in his first season of starts... that obviously means he's worth less than a pretty boy who can dump the ball for a two yard gain with consistency. And yes... he helped the team win 10, TEN, 10 games. That's gonna put a team in the playoffs in most cases. Can't blame him for another team laying down and letting another team in.

The last two seasons the Browns have not had good QB play from anyone... concussions, line injuries, receiver injuries, new system, new (rookie) starting receivers, you name it. The closest to "normal" this team has played was the last 5 games of the season.

You can blame him for throwing 4 picks against the terrible Bengals. The guy stinks. He better not be on our team next year. Seriously I'd rather have Tim Couch. At least he wasn't an idiot.

Stop drinking during the day. Anderson couldn't even complete 50% of his passes this year. Unacceptable for an NFL QB. So please tell me how he is more accurate. I'm tired of people being blinded by his rocket arm.

Neither one of them are worth talking about! Its more of an argument of which qb smells worse than the other. If i had no option and had to choose between the two i guess i woud give quinn another shot. but man he has shown absolutely nothing to be optimistic about either. I mean his 53% completion percentage is unnacceptable as well!

Neither one of them are worth talking about! Its more of an argument of which qb smells worse than the other. If i had no option and had to choose between the two i guess i woud give quinn another shot. but man he has shown absolutely nothing to be optimistic about either. I mean his 53% completion percentage is unnacceptable as well!

That's the same completion percentage as Mark Sanchez. And everyone seems to love him. Quinn may not be the answer, but giving him a full season is better than trading precious pick for McNabb or an equally unproven Kolb.

If we trade a draft pick and a player for McNabb or whoever, we wont have Either of the qb's stick around, we wouldn't get crap for DA and BQ is more tradeable, if that's a word. Don't forget who the chiefs just hired as their new OC, I bet they try to snag BQ from us for lets say a 3rd or 4th, so in the end we just lose a player and the BQ debacle will be over , and we gain a McNabb. Things wont shake out this way, but it sounded ok.

That's the same completion percentage as Mark Sanchez. And everyone seems to love him. Quinn may not be the answer, but giving him a full season is better than trading precious pick for McNabb or an equally unproven Kolb.

Im not a big sanchez fan either. i know a lot of people like him and lot of people dont like him. I will say this though sanchez and quinn have started close to the same amount of games i think sanchez has started 5 more to be exact including playoffs and in this time sanchez has at least shown some sinds of life and promise and moments in just one year in the nfl where quinn has not and having said this im not a big sanchez fan. I know quinn hasnt had a ton of starts 12 to be exact but he also has been in the nfl and training camps for three seasons and im sorry but he should have been more developed and not do a lot of the things that he still does by now. Im on the same page as you Slaughter when it comes to trading for a qb. i would by no means give up our 1st round pick or multiple picks to get a qb. It just stinks that there really isnt anyone worth getting excited about in this draft class of free agency. giving quinn yet another chance may be our best hope. Our best bet may be to just keep our fingers crossed give quinn one more shot and hope that he shows drastic improvment!

Did Sanchez pad his completion percentage with 3 yard dumps? I'm not so sure about that. His YPA was nearly a yard and a half longer than Quinn's. He had 10 games with passing plays of over 40 yards, Quinn had 2. There's a lot more that goes into quarterbacking than passing percentage.

Now let's be realistic- the only vet qb going after is McNabb agreed? With Warner retiring in Arizona, that changes everything. They just put the Eagles on speed dial. Should Farve decide to hang 'em up in Minnesota, you have the makings of an all out bidding war, that the Browns would be well advised to stay out of.

I'll let QB guru Holmgren make the call- if he thinks Quinn isn't the answer, no harm in qb shopping with one of our extra 3rd round or even 2nd round pick. Way more value down the road than bringing in a two year stopgap to win a few extra games when you're not ready to head to the SB.

I still thing we have to go D with our first pick.

I think we should draft the left handed Tebow to go along with Anderson and Quinn, both being left handed as well, even if they haven't figured that out yet. :P

(it's a joke folks)

A healthy Couch was ten times better than Derek Bear.

I would have loved to see Couch in the cockpit of the 2007 team.

If EVER a QB had grounds to sue a football team for ruining his career, it may be Tim Couch. I will go to my grave wondering what a healthy Couch might have accomplished with a line in front of hom.

Mike

Blinded by his rocket arm or the 6-10 record over Bradys 3-11 record over the last two years including 3 of the last 4 wins and 4 of all 5 all years. now go and tell everyone that brady completes 73% of his passes. wonder what his completion pct. is over a 10 yrd pss. i would give either if not both a fair shot at the position this year. lets be real we should be building around a running back instead. the real qb is emerge this year. transitional guy to get to next years draft or not.

Archived