THE BROWNS BOARD

Drafting A Certain Safety

secondwave

ok, let's say Eric Berry (most likely) doesn't fall to us, who are other safeties you'd like to go after?

a person I would love for us to snag in the second round, Myron Rolle. He was on PTI yesterday, and i'll be honest, i've only watched 2 games of him, but he's really athletic, and most of all intelligent. In my opinion, he'll be a future ambassador of not just football but the concept of what a student-athlete should be.

He was a rhodes scholar and was trying to become a neurosurgeon so the kid obviously has a good head on his shoulders, he's really bright, articulate, polite and so hed be a great locker room presence. From a football standpoint, having him and missing out on Eric Berry means we'll have a bigger, stronger safety who's almost as athletic, but not quite the ballhawk the way Berry is.

What do you guys think?

That Rolle kid would be a great pick. BUT, if we get to have Haden, cb, first round... we need a RT in the second round, imho.

So, I would still look for this kid in the third round, if he is even there: (we'll know more after the combine)

Kam Chancellor Scouting Report

Projected Draft Position

by FFToolbox Writers

3% used Kam Chancellor in their first round mock.

The teams most often chosen were:

DAL (13%), SD (13%), NO (13%), IND (13%) Position: FS

School & Year/Status: Virginia Tech - Senior

Jersey Number: #17

Height & Weight: 6'4 - 230 lbs.

Ranked #40 on our Top 100 Prospects Board

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:

person

Kam Chancellor, FS, Virginia Tech

There is not much Kam Chancellor has not done. Arriving at Virginia Tech in 2006, he worked at quarterback. Then he was moved to corner, where he spent his freshman season playing spot duty. In 2007 he earned the starting job at the Hokies rover position. Even with a ton of talent around him on the defensive side of the ball that season, Chancellor ended the year with 79 total tackles. However, Chancellor's final destination was not at the rover position. Prior to the 2008 season, he moved to free safety.

At 6-4 and 230 pounds, Chancellor is big and strong and rarely fails to deliver the big hit. He has a decent amount of speed and has all the measurables that NFL teams will be looking for.

Chancellor could have gone pro after his junior season, but he made the right decision returning to the Hokies. While Chancellor did a fine job in 2008 at the free safety position, he is getting noticeably more comfortable there during the 2009 campaign. Chancellor has found his home at free safety and now the NFL knows where he fits. Chancellor should be considered one of the top two or three free safeties in this class and if he keeps putting up big numbers in 2009, he has a slight chance of being a first-round selection.

Last Updated Oct-12-2009 by Joel Welser

This kid is REALLY gifted. I saw him make 2 plays in a goal line stand during the year that preserved a W over someone. Just an unbelieveable nose for the football where he bought the playaction fake and comitted toward the runner and had instinct to jump and block the pass heading toward an uncovered TE in the end zone. He was freakin everywhere the opponent hoped he wouldn't be. Pretty much every time I saw LSU he did something average players couldn't do. STUD.

Alo, thanks for those highlights. As you see in the footage - he's easily one of the best Safeties in the draft. One thing that JUMPS out at me is this guy causes just as many turnovers against the running game as he does vrs the passign game, which is a pretty unique art/skill we would welcome. They say Eric Berry is only 195 pounds while Chad weighs about 230. IMO, he's leapfrogged Taylor Mays and even though Mays might do better vrs a stopwatch - this kid has that ideal first step instinct that shows up as FAST on the field and first to the football.

The ONLY drawback with him is he is also one of their best pitchers on their National Champion level baseball team. More specifically, I don't know if he is going to be another Jeff Smardizja that chooses baseball over football or not. I'd love to see him in our division because he causes just as many turnovers against a running game as he does vrs passign games and that's UNIQUEHe also took a ribbing from coaches and teammates for showing up a little chubby the first day of football practice. Understanding the kid played 2 sports - I don't interpret this as bad character or being lazy. Your body requires some degree of rest and recuperation so I'm sure it didn't take long for him to burn off the stored calories.

- Tom F.

Rolle would be a great pick but I am afraid he wouldn't drop to us in the 2nd unless he clocks slow at the combine. Now if we dropped down a little in the 1st then took him that would be great. We need a great cornerback and a great safety but great cornerbacks are a little harder to find. We could use a little great at all positions though :rolleyes:

Rolle is probably a later round pick since he's been out of football for a year, but he's most definitly a Mangini guy.

I'd also pick up Kurt Coleman late. He'd be a good special teamer, spot starter.

This kid is REALLY gifted. I saw him make 2 plays in a goal line stand during the year that preserved a W over someone. Just an unbelieveable nose for the football where he bought the playaction fake and comitted toward the runner and had instinct to jump and block the pass heading toward an uncovered TE in the end zone. He was freakin everywhere the opponent hoped he wouldn't be. Pretty much every time I saw LSU he did something average players couldn't do. STUD.

2009-Chad-Jones-vs-MSt.jpg

He also returned a punt for a TD in that game.

Jones has incredible upside; for that reason, he'll probably go in the 1st round. If he's available in the 2nd round, he'd be very hard to pass on.

(By the way, my understanding is that he's chosen football over baseball)

MR. Alo -

If we did go defense the first two picks, what RT's would you be interested in,

in the later rounds?

If we don't sign or draft a RT, I'll be shocked. And dismayed.

2009-Chad-Jones-vs-MSt.jpg

He also returned a punt for a TD in that game.

Jones has incredible upside; for that reason, he'll probably go in the 1st round. If he's available in the 2nd round, he'd be very hard to pass on.

(By the way, my understanding is that he's chosen football over baseball)

Alo,

Thank you for finding that picture the goal line stand play I was referencing. I forgot about his punt return for a TD in the same game. When I envision an X-factor on either side of the ball - I need to see his talent showing up on film as the winning difference. This play and the tackle he made in the goal line stand and well as videos you shared epitomizes a talented athlete that competes to win.

I hope people notice how often this kid jars football loose when he's not intercepting passers. My worry about us thinking he can be had in round 2 is that he never gets past any of these teams: Pittsburgh, Baltimore or New England. It seems like Ed Reed and Polly have missed alot of games to wear and tear as of late while NE's pass defense needs playmakers.

- Tom F.

Alo,

Thank you for finding that picture the goal line stand play I was referencing. I forgot about his punt return for a TD in the same game. When I envision an X-factor on either side of the ball - I need to see his talent showing up on film as the winning difference. This play and the tackle he made in the goal line stand and well as videos you shared epitomizes a talented athlete that competes to win.

I hope people notice how often this kid jars football loose when he's not intercepting passers. My worry about us thinking he can be had in round 2 is that he never gets past any of these teams: Pittsburgh, Baltimore or New England. It seems like Ed Reed and Polly have missed alot of games to wear and tear as of late while NE's pass defense needs playmakers.

- Tom F.

NE just recently took mayweather and Chung....but he may very well end up a raven...The OZ doesn't pass on guys like this!

Taylor Mays is awful. He only goes for the big hit, never for the ball or for the tackle. He wants to be a highlight reel guy on every play but it makes him whiff all too often. Highly overrated. This is all as a safety. However, if we got him in the 3rd or 4th round where I doubt he'll be, he could be a monster as a converted OLB.

MR. Alo -

If we did go defense the first two picks, what RT's would you be interested in,

in the later rounds?

Jared Veldheer's getting a lot of pub. I haven't gotten a chance to watch him play, but it'll be interesting to read the reports coming from this week's Texas vs. the Nation game; he's one of the more noteworthy prospects participating.

- Division II standout Jared Veldheer, one of the few small school lineman to receive a combine invitation has been training in Tennessee under the tutelage of thirteen year veteran and former All Pro Brad Hopkins. According to Hopkins the small school tackle is one of the best athletes he’s ever seen. We reported on November 12th that some around the league were calling Veldheer “this year’s Sebastian Vollmer.” We hear Veldheer is making huge strides in the weight room as Hillsdale never had a strength and conditioning coach or S&C program for the football team.

via here.

Jared Veldheer's getting a lot of pub. I haven't gotten a chance to watch him play, but it'll be interesting to read the reports coming from this week's Texas vs. the Nation game; he's one of the more noteworthy prospects participating. ALO

Wow. I never heard of him, which is no surprise. Awesome find !

He will probably climb the draft... what a third round pick he would be for the Browns. I don't see him

going any later than that.

While i agree they need to look at RT they need impact playmakers in round 1 and 2..the earliest i hope they look at RT is 3rd round...grab another solid FA for RT if need be...they can block all day for whatever QB may be back there but noone can make plays on offense...

fongers crossed for a playmaker :)

A report from Texas vs. the Nation:

Veldheer is this year's version of Sebastian Vollmer, the Houston offensive tackle who wowed scouts enough at the 2009 East-West practices to earn a late second-round pick by the Patriots (and a starting spot on the right side). His athleticism -- at 6-8, 315 pounds -- is astounding and he plays with real toughness and consistent arm extension in pass protection. After he runs a sub-5.0 40-yard dash at the Combine, Veldheer's almost assured of being a top-75 selection.

Veldheer's play hasn't been perfect. Impressive Rutgers defensive end George Johnson displayed great power and speed to beat him with an outside-in move in one-on-one drills. Johnson let Veldheer know about it afterward, but failed to beat him the second time around. Veldheer took him around the pocket and continued to pound Johnson well after the end had given up trying to win the battle.

Archived