THE BROWNS BOARD

PA-DSS, and you thought PCI was a mess!

Sev, I think this will effect you, I am not sure exactly what you do.

What is your take on this? I plan on using an online solution (instead of developing one on my own). But it seems there are only 2 companies that are PA-DSS compliant (online storefront). How do you see Visa and Mastercard coming down on the companies who didn't plan for this 4 years ago?

LINK

The company I just got off the phone with said they were PCI compliant, but has heard nothing from legal about PA-DSS. I think many companies are taking their chances because what is Visa and Mastercard going to do, shut down hundreds of thousands of online stores? In this climate I don't think they can afford to?

I dont even know where to start....

First PCI compliance like Hippa/Coppa has a lot of "grey areas". PCI compliance is a perpetual legal/procedural/programming/auditing process when properly followed.

Second Visa/Mastercard has NO arm that actually enforces anything let along do they even want to..... Basically fraud is left to the creditors and issueing agencies to handle as long as processing is fast people will continue to do it and Visa/Mastercard/Discover/Amex want to keep getting the trillions of micro transactions that happen every day they get a piece of...

Its like W3c compliance..... in theory its important BUT who enforces a strict set of rules on a international network that has no boundries or even if legal work and structure is agreed upon by some body of governance innovation tomorrow will make it dated........

How many high/low/machine level languages exist? TONS and everyone uses their own flavors and combinations along with how many OS systems exist in how many different setups? infinite..... This literally is an unrealistic expectation and one I think is grounded in a money grab proposed by those who are PA-DSS compliant along with the "third party" auditing agencies.........

One thing that is constant on the internet is that open source is a massive influence that literally affects hundreds of millions of people every day whether they know it or not. How many flavors of Linux OS exist? TONS......

I suppose its possible sometime in the future but right now its like the wild west......... CRAZY and constantly shifiting with literally NO police to do anything about anything... even if there were police um what "laws" are they going to enforce and how dated are those laws say in the next 2 seconds when something changes somewhere in the world?

the card swipe encryption/data transfer method is not made to be secure at a pos... its made to be kind of secure and mainly FAST...... that should show you Visa/Mastercard intent.

I would not quite worry about this yet Kosar (imho for what that is worth)

Now if ICANN somehow gets involved.... this will hold some weight...... they could throttle and be some sort of enforcement.....but why would they hurt their income for something that is not important to them?

Excellent. That is what I was hoping. I am starting an online business and hear some rumblings that they are not compliant. I'm going to go ahead as planned. Thanks for the info Sev.

good luck Kosar.

just take that this is my opinion not necessarily reality. I dont claim to understand Visa/mastercards intent or how far they are going this time around.

It totally possible this is much more serious than what I think, the benchmark references in the industry however shows that my opinion seems to be consistent. I know that the POS systems tech on how they transmit and recieve is somewhat secure but it has not really changed that much in the last few years......

Its like SSL encryption levels......WHY are there so many levels? dont you think there should be ONE standard? I mean seriously if they want to start somewhere that is more realistic they should start there.

compliance..... its a pay to play scam with good intentions of securing consumer information.

good luck Kosar.

just take that this is my opinion not necessarily reality. I dont claim to understand Visa/mastercards intent or how far they are going this time around.

It totally possible this is much more serious than what I think, the benchmark references in the industry however shows that my opinion seems to be consistent. I know that the POS systems tech on how they transmit and recieve is somewhat secure but it has not really changed that much in the last few years......

Its like SSL encryption levels......WHY are there so many levels? dont you think there should be ONE standard? I mean seriously if they want to start somewhere that is more realistic they should start there.

compliance..... its a pay to play scam with good intentions of securing consumer information.

Thanks Sev. I have been investigating for quote some time. It's an online printing company. My prices are going to kick ass.

But yes in terms of the PS-DSS, that is what I have read, most peoples opinion is in line with yours. It's their software. Some reviews have given the "don't go with this company" because I can be fined if I sell products with them. But you know how that works, someone from the competition. Anyways, f*ck it, I'm going for it.

Archived