THE BROWNS BOARD

Long-time Mike Holmgren aide Gil Haskell may soon join Browns front office

eggo31

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ren_aide_g.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Gil Haskell, one of Mike Holmgren's closest friends and advisers in the NFL, is expected to join the Browns soon.

Haskell was on Holmgren's coaching staffs in Green Bay and Seattle. In fact, Haskell was with Holmgren for 15 of Holmgren's 17 seasons as an NFL head coach.

NFL photo

Longtime Holmgren assistant Gil Haskell could rejoin his old boss in Cleveland.

Haskell, 66, is expected to be appointed as an adviser to the Browns president. In that capacity, he may be called on to conduct a thorough evaluation of the Browns' offense and have major input in the direction it takes in the second season of coach Eric Mangini.

Haskell's roots go back to pre-Bill Walsh years with the San Francisco 49ers when his uncle was part owner of the team. His coaching career began with John Robinson at USC and then with the Los Angeles Rams.

He joined Holmgren's Packers team as running backs coach in 1992 and was made receivers coach in 1995. After a two-year stint as offensive coordinator with the Carolina Panthers, Haskell rejoined Holmgren in Seattle and was coordinator -- and later assistant head coach -- through 2008.

Haskell was the coordinator in 2005 when the Seahawks boasted the No. 2 overall offense, the NFL's leading rusher in Shaun Alexander and No. 4 passer in Matt Hasselbeck.

At that season's Super Bowl, Holmgren campaigned for Haskell to receive consideration as a head coach candidate.

"He's a very meticulous, high work-ethic guy and I just don't understand [why he hasn't gotten consideration]," Holmgren said then. "If a team wanted to hire somebody to build something and get them where they need to get to, he would be the one I would recommend to anyone who would ask me."

Haskell would be the second former assistant coach from Seattle to join Holmgren. Holmgren previously named Keith Gilbertson, 61, as Browns director of pro personnel. Gilbertson coached receivers and offensive line with the Seahawks under Holmgren.

For some reason I just love everything Holmgren is doing here....it actually seems like we might have the makings of a good organization!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...ren_aide_g.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Gil Haskell, one of Mike Holmgren's closest friends and advisers in the NFL, is expected to join the Browns soon.

Haskell was on Holmgren's coaching staffs in Green Bay and Seattle. In fact, Haskell was with Holmgren for 15 of Holmgren's 17 seasons as an NFL head coach.

NFL photo

Longtime Holmgren assistant Gil Haskell could rejoin his old boss in Cleveland.

Haskell, 66, is expected to be appointed as an adviser to the Browns president. In that capacity, he may be called on to conduct a thorough evaluation of the Browns' offense and have major input in the direction it takes in the second season of coach Eric Mangini.

Haskell's roots go back to pre-Bill Walsh years with the San Francisco 49ers when his uncle was part owner of the team. His coaching career began with John Robinson at USC and then with the Los Angeles Rams.

He joined Holmgren's Packers team as running backs coach in 1992 and was made receivers coach in 1995. After a two-year stint as offensive coordinator with the Carolina Panthers, Haskell rejoined Holmgren in Seattle and was coordinator -- and later assistant head coach -- through 2008.

Haskell was the coordinator in 2005 when the Seahawks boasted the No. 2 overall offense, the NFL's leading rusher in Shaun Alexander and No. 4 passer in Matt Hasselbeck.

At that season's Super Bowl, Holmgren campaigned for Haskell to receive consideration as a head coach candidate.

"He's a very meticulous, high work-ethic guy and I just don't understand [why he hasn't gotten consideration]," Holmgren said then. "If a team wanted to hire somebody to build something and get them where they need to get to, he would be the one I would recommend to anyone who would ask me."

Haskell would be the second former assistant coach from Seattle to join Holmgren. Holmgren previously named Keith Gilbertson, 61, as Browns director of pro personnel. Gilbertson coached receivers and offensive line with the Seahawks under Holmgren.

For some reason I just love everything Holmgren is doing here....it actually seems like we might have the makings of a good organization!!!!!!!!!

mh is definitely handling his business. this is the first time since the browns have been back in the nfl that i have a reason to feel confident in the browns fo.

• 2 weeks later...

Browns name Haskell Senior Advisor to President

The Cleveland Browns today announced the hiring of Gil Haskell as Senior Advisor to the President.

Haskell brings a wealth of experience to the Browns, having coached on both the collegiate and professional levels for more than 30 years. Most recently, he spent nine seasons with the Seattle Seahawks (2000-08), with his first seven campaigns as offensive coordinator (2000-06) and final two as assistant head coach/offensive coordinator (2007-08). In 2005, the Seahawks finished the season ranked second in total offense as they advanced to Super Bowl XL. During Haskell's tenure in Seattle, the Seahawks captured four NFC West titles (2004-07) and advanced to the postseason five consecutive times (2003-07).

Prior to joining the Seahawks, Haskell was the offensive coordinator of the Carolina Panthers for two seasons (1998-99), where his offense finished the 1999 season sixth overall. He also spent six years with the Green Bay Packers, coaching both running backs (1992-94) and wide receivers (1995-97). During Haskell's time in Green Bay, the Packers won three NFC Central titles (1995-97), made five postseason trips (1993-97), and two Super Bowl appearances (1996-97) with one Super Bowl title in 1996.

Haskell entered the NFL coaching ranks in 1983, spending nine seasons with the Los Angeles Rams (1983-91), leading the special teams (1983-86), running backs (1987-90) and tight ends/special teams units (1991). As a member of the Rams' coaching staff, the team won the NFC West title in 1985 and made two NFC Championship game appearances, in 1985 and 1989.

Before joining the Rams, Haskell spent five seasons at the University of Southern California (1978-82) coaching wide receivers and special teams. In his first season at USC, the Trojans posted a 12-1 record and captured the 1978 NCAA National Championship, based on the UPI Coaches Poll. He joined the Trojans' staff following a nine-year stint at St. Ignatius High School (1969-77) in San Francisco, Calif., where he spent his final five seasons as the team's head coach. As a youth, Haskell spent 22 years working in a variety of roles within the San Francisco 49ers organization, as his late uncle, Dr. William O'Grady, was part owner of the team. A native of San Francisco, Haskell and his wife, Nancy, have four grown daughters, Paula, Patty, Jenny and Julie.

wow, look @ all the interest MH brings. i never thought i'd see a day when the Browns could rival a Rooney F.O. but i'm really starting to believe.

**edit**

results are everything though. only time will tell if all these former coaches and colleagues can be successful together in CLE, with many of them in completely new roles.

the conspiracy theorist in me thinks if Mangini and MH ever collide, with this Haskell hire he also grooms a head coach candidate--who gets to familiarize himself w/ the team from the inside (and the team with him).

this must also make those skeptical of Daboll feel a lot better. this reads "i said I wouldn't coach...but i never said anything about my right-hand-man injecting himself there."

it looks real good on paper and if all this actually comes together and works we will at least be cohesive, consistent, and productive for many years.

Archived