THE BROWNS BOARD

QBs with Senior Bowl Moments

Flugel

Folks,

It's tough for QBs to be sharp at the Senior Bowl with all the change, limited reps and new skilled positions to work with. That said, I tried to look at which kids looked good under pressure. What I mean by that, is who KEPT their eyes on receivers down field and who eluded pressure pressure doing that with a pass his receiver could catch.

I thought Zac Robinson looked best at that even though he had a fumble when Brandon Graham hit him from behind on 1 of the plays. I just liked the zip on his passes and the location where defenders had less of a chance than the receiver (ie; the throw to the Citadel receiver caused the receiver to turn around for the catch but iof the pass was on the other side of the receiver - it's an INT)

Lefevour had a nice TD pass in the back of the end zone when he wasn't asked to read a progression. It was just a 5 step drop, plant and throw to the flag/back pylon. Good accuracy when he wasn't deep in thought. LeFevour is fleet of foot as they said; but when he's coming out of the pocket - he seems to stop looking at receivers downfield from the very limited observation of the Senior Bowl.

Tony Pike had ups and downs. He threw a nice TD pass that got called back for holding but he also had moments that make him look like he'll take a little time to adpat to the next level.

Canfield was alot like Pike. Had some good moments but also looks like he needs work. Might be a good late pick for someone.

I felt kind of bad for Tim Tebow because he didn't really change anyone's mind about the week he had. I LIKE the example this kid sets so I hope he proves all his critics wrong.

I wasn't crazy enough about the kid from West Virginia to even remember his name. That might not be such a bad thing though.

Before we put too much stock in QBs at All Star games - Charlie Frye was an MVP at one of these college All Star games and we ended up chasing him out of Cleveland for DA.

- Tom F.

The kid out of WV was Brown. Jd/Jl Brown? He looked like he was overwhelmed. Zac helped himself a bit, Lefevour seems

to just make things happen. He's amazing. Should be interesting to see how scouts deem their ability to step into the NFL after the combine.

I liked Pike, had more arm than it's said he has, it seems to me, he had some rough showing in the bowl.

I think Tim Tebow is Charlie Frye at a major bigtime university.

Should be interesting. Zac seems to see the field, based on his passes completed. It has to be tough biz with pretty much a complete

new set of players around him, different offense. The N just was kicking butt on defense.

We found out this week that Zac Robinson was playing hurt for most of the 2nd half of this season, which helps explain some of his awful play. According to most reports, he didn't look all that great during the week, but his play in the actual game was encouraging.

He reminds me a lot of Charlie Frye: he's mobile & can create when the play breaks down, but his arm strength and accuracy aren't much better than average. In the right system & with a lot of patience, he could turn into something, but I don't think he'll get drafted high. nfldraftscout has him projected as a 6th/7th round pick; Scott Wright at DraftCountdown has him as the #16 QB on his board.

The kid out of WV was Brown. Jd/Jl Brown? He looked like he was overwhelmed. Zac helped himself a bit, Lefevour seems

to just make things happen. He's amazing. Should be interesting to see how scouts deem their ability to step into the NFL after the combine.

I liked Pike, had more arm than it's said he has, it seems to me, he had some rough showing in the bowl.

I think Tim Tebow is Charlie Frye at a major bigtime university.

Should be interesting. Zac seems to see the field, based on his passes completed. It has to be tough biz with pretty much a complete

new set of players around him, different offense. The N just was kicking butt on defense.

I am with you on LeFevour he has won and played well for a number of years and makes things happen. I would consider using a second or third rounder on him. I would also consider Pike. Albeit I have seen limited film of both. If Bradford is around I would take him with the one pick. Time to try to move both Anderson and Quinn and find replacements

I am with you on LeFevour he has won and played well for a number of years and makes things happen. I would consider using a second or third rounder on him. I would also consider Pike. Albeit I have seen limited film of both. If Bradford is around I would take him with the one pick. Time to try to move both Anderson and Quinn and find replacements

No doubt we need a qb.

And am with you on Bradford....IF...his arm is sound. That has me worried a bit. If he checks out, do it. If there is any question, pass.

That is the only thing that keeps me down on Bradford.

I really liked what I saw of LeFevour, I'd go as high as second round on him. Pike just didn't show me the "zip" I'd like to see on his passes.

Tebow? Disaster. Hurt his draft stock badly. IMHO if anyone takes him higher than 4th round, they're out of their minds.

PS Graham impressed the hell out of me (even if he went to Michigan), non-stop motor, unblockable.

Now you are getting me ticked off.

You would really take a Lafever over Tebow???

Geez dude....4 days ago you never heard of Lafever, and now you want to spend a 2nd rounder on a Central Michigan player?

That's cool....I stand my ground with my position. I'll allow you to flit around.

I'll get hammered for this, but if Tebow drops, I would be all over him. Mechanics can be worked on & this kid seems to have all the intangibles. Tebow is a winner.

My bet is that he proves a lot of people wrong. As I often say, "We'll see".

Mike

Geez dude....4 days ago you never heard of Lafever, and now you want to spend a 2nd rounder on a Central Michigan player?

That's cool....I stand my ground with my position. I'll allow you to flit around.

First, heard of DF? Sure, just hadn't seen him play yet. Um, his career stats match up pretty well with Ben Roethlisberger's. OTOH. I've seen TT play on numerous occasions, and IMHO, he's a LB or TE that happened to play qb in college. He couldn't outrun Graham @ at Senior Bowl, and there's about 40 LBs in the NFL that are just as big, and just as fast- so draw your own conclusions how long Tim's going to last as a running qb. BTW, in case you're thinking I'm strictly on a bash Timmy rag, I think LeFevour outplayed Pike too (who I was pretty high on) - and I've seen about as much of Pike as Tebow.

Just being objective 'Peen. LeVevour blew TT out of the water at the Senior Bowl. Take him over TT? Yeah, every day and twice on Sunday. More mobile, better arm, more accurate. Sure, it was just one game and dangerous to base an assumption on thereof , but the MAC has had a track record of producing decent NFL qbs of late. Tebow possibly may get drafted high, but it won't be by the Browns- Joe Thomas isn't getting switched to right tackle for the Browns to work on a project.

Tebow stinks it up

Tim was probably the worst of the crop of QBs on display @ the Senior Bowl, and Bradford and McCoy weren't even there.

Scouts Inc. gave Tebow a grade of a D+ and wrote an extensive review on him saying:

"Tebow came to Mobile with a chance to prove he can be an effective NFL quarterback, but if he could go back in time he would likely choose not to come to the Senior Bowl."

"Tebow did show good arm strength, handled the media frenzy well and even played through a case of strep throat, but he also put all of his weaknesses on display in a setting that did nothing but magnify them."

"In a group of merely adequate quarterback prospects Tebow ranked near the bottom and we walk away from Mobile believing he might never be an NFL quarterback. He will have to be torn down and rebuilt from the ground up to have a chance , and we cannot remember one NFL quarterback who ever had to retool his entire game before finding success in the NFL. Teams that might have been considering Tebow in the late first or somewhere in the second round now have to re-evaluate."

"We have not spoken to a single talent evaluator who believes Tebow can develop into the kind of quarterback Mark Sanchez, Matthew Stafford or Joe Flacco is right now. The learning curve is just too steep in almost every area. We cannot find a way to give him any higher than a third-round grade, and even then we envision him as nothing more than a WildDawg or short-yardage quarterback who will maybe move to H-back. Overall, Senior Bowl week could not have gone worse from an on-the-field standpoint."

Tebow does have tremendous athletic ability and is not only a student of the game, but a weight room junkie too, and he will still find a home in the NFL, but the question is where and at what position."

I understand all of that, and really didn't expect things to be different.

It is all under the assumption he will be a qb playing like a Manning.

My assumption is there is going to be a team who decides they aren't going to do that anymore and over the course of the next year or two decide to do something different. Then all of a sudden Tebow goes from a D+ Qb to something better than that.

I hold no hope we draft Tebow....I agree, it doesn't make any sense unless he is there in the 3rd or 4th round. My sticking up for him isn't me pimping him as our choice.

Gailey just got hired in Buffalo. He is a old spread guy from Ga Tech.....Tebow might be a good fit there.

I agree. If Tebow is called upon to run last centuries offense, yep, he isn't going to be very good....at least no time soon, and with the curve mentioned, probably not. I see it much the same as Jim Stillwagon getting snubbed in pro ball because nobody ran a 3-4 D when he came out. I imagine things would have been different for him had someone said "I can play a D with 3 on the line if this is the guy I have on the nose".

Funny how the 3-4 sort of took over a few years later. It's going to be equally ironic when O's run by players like Tebow take over the NFL.

Now we will find out if he is here on the cusp of the change or if he faces the same dilemma Stillwagon did.

No doubt we need a qb.

And am with you on Bradford....IF...his arm is sound. That has me worried a bit. If he checks out, do it. If there is any question, pass.

That is the only thing that keeps me down on Bradford.

Nothing in life is certain and we are not going anywhere with the QB's we have that is certain........so rolling the dice on QB is mandatory.........unless we want to be certain to be mediocre.........get Bradford take that chance and if he is gone for the best QB in round two

and I do like our members thinling LeFevour........................

QB's win games OL guys occupy space............and offense wins championships as simple as those two ruiles get forgotten always

Nothing in life is certain and we are not going anywhere with the QB's we have that is certain........so rolling the dice on QB is mandatory.........unless we want to be certain to be mediocre.........get Bradford take that chance and if he is gone for the best QB in round two

and I do like our members thinling LeFevour........................

QB's win games OL guys occupy space............and offense wins championships as simple as those two ruiles get forgotten always

I agree QB is our biggest long term need.

I am just not willing to do it on a QB who's arm might be 50-50.

If he has a rag arm, forget him.

I'll get hammered for this, but if Tebow drops, I would be all over him. Mechanics can be worked on & this kid seems to have all the intangibles. Tebow is a winner.

My bet is that he proves a lot of people wrong. As I often say, "We'll see".

Mike

I agree with you, the right person could make him the next Farve. He def. has the right attitude.

I couldn't agree more. I have watched Dan his whole career and I believe that he will be a succesful pro QB. But there is NO WAY that he should EVER be drafted in front of Tebow. Playing for Florida and putting up the numbers is tougher then putting up numbers against MAC schools. I would take either one in Cleveland but if they are both on the board in round three I select Tebow.

Archived