RG FA

RT 4th rounder

NO

LT 4th rounder

LG 5th rounder

C FA

RG 4th rounder

RT 2nd rounder

they should all have not taken those skill and used em on OL with first picks like we have

Boom Dime a Dozen Rules

Indy...........

LT 6th rounder

LG FA

C FA

RG FA

RT 4th rounder

NO

LT 4th rounder

LG 5th rounder

C FA

RG 4th rounder

RT 2nd rounder

they should all have not taken those skill and used em on OL with first picks like we have

Boom Dime a Dozen Rules

Oh. That's all well and good. What you're forgetting is that both New Orleans and Indianapolis are primarily passing offenses that both play in a dome. During the winter months, they still have the ability to air the ball out without caution. Their linemen only have to get in the way of defenders for a couple seconds maximum. Outside of the LT and the C, Indy can afford to have cupcake linemen.

We don't have that luxury. Neither do the teams in our division. So, unlike Indy and New Orleans, we have to invest in good, solid, run blocking linemen. Unfortunately, they're a little harder to come by.

Furthermore, neither team plays in the AFC North. Our division has, by and large, the best defenses in the league. It's a little more important to have quality linemen, if only to keep the quarterback from getting killed.

By the way, combine Indy and New Orleans lines, and you only get 6 Pro Bowl nominations, 4 of which come from Jeff Saturday, who's in his 11th year of playing. Joe Thomas already has 3 nominations, and he just finished his third year.

Oh. That's all well and good. What you're forgetting is that both New Orleans and Indianapolis are primarily passing offenses that both play in a dome. During the winter months, they still have the ability to air the ball out without caution. Their linemen only have to get in the way of defenders for a couple seconds maximum. Outside of the LT and the C, Indy can afford to have cupcake linemen.

We don't have that luxury. Neither do the teams in our division. So, unlike Indy and New Orleans, we have to invest in good, solid, run blocking linemen. Unfortunately, they're a little harder to come by.

Furthermore, neither team plays in the AFC North. Our division has, by and large, the best defenses in the league. It's a little more important to have quality linemen, if only to keep the quarterback from getting killed.

By the way, combine Indy and New Orleans lines, and you only get 6 Pro Bowl nominations, 4 of which come from Jeff Saturday, who's in his 11th year of playing. Joe Thomas already has 3 nominations, and he just finished his third year.

Very nicely put.

Just out of curiosity I decided to look up the other 10 playoff teams. The Jets and Eagles are highlighted because of Mangini and Heckert's ties.

Eagles

FA,4,FA,4,2

Jets

1,1,1,FA,1

Vikes

1,1,6,FA,2

Pats

2,1,5,FA,3

Chargers

2,FA,3,7,6

Ravens

Cardinals

6, 6, FA,2,1

Packers

Cowboys

Bungles

2,FA,FA,2,FA

Totals for all 12 playoff teams

1st round – 12

2nd round – 14

3rd round – 2

4th round – 6

5th round – 3

6th round – 6

7th round – 3

UFA – 14

No suprise the Jets led the league in rushing this year.

When Bill Polian was in Buffalo he drafted Will Wohlford in round 1 to start at Left Tackle and protect his Qb pretty much the same way he later drafted Tarik Glenn in round 1 (19th overall) in 1997 to protect Peyton Manning for 11 consecutive years. They've been drafting at the bottom of the rounds ever since. Good plan? You bet! If you've BECOME elite and your situation changes so that you no longer need to go round 1 on the oline - then wonderful. If you have the right talent evaluators, then you don't need to draft all 5 starters in round 1 obviosuly.

SMART teams draft an Orlando Pace and an Anthony Munoz when they're on their door step instead of pretending the same value awaits them in round 7. That's why New Orleans drafted Jammal Brown at the 13th pick overall in 2005 where he has made the Pro Bowl twice (06 & 08) at Left Tackle since being drafted. It doesn't look like you wanted anyone to remember they drafted Jammal or that he's the STARTER when healthy. I will say they lost 3 games in a row after Jammal got hurt and counted on 5 turnovers from Minnesota's offense on a day they were outgained 4 to 1.

When Qbs are getting concussions right and left these days, there's ONE thing I can compliment Savage about and that's drafting Joe Thomas at #3 overall. Understanding this, Left tackle is one of the most important positions in the league these days and we've got a guy the league just labelled "All Pro."

Watching the Jets, it looked like Mangini really knew what he was doing when he drafted Mangold and Ferguson in round 1. We did the same thing with Thomas and Mack. Even Bill Belichick drafted Steve Everitt in round 1 for us just like he drafted Mankins in round 1 over in NE. Anyway, how many teams closed out December running the ball better than the Jets and the Browns?

Keep in mind, Mike Holmgren drafted LT Walter Jones in round 1 and then he added LG Steve Hutchinson in round 1 and all of a sudden Shaun Alexander is rushing leader while Matt Hasselbeck has the best season of his life. If all they needed to do was stay away from round 1 on the oline - do we have an explanation for what happened to the winning when Hutchinson left and Jones retired? Do we have an explanation for why Hasselbeck always seems injured since?

Does anyone think Tony Romo noticed the difference between Flozell Adams protecting his blind side and the replacement that couldn't in their post season game?

- Tom F.

Also not mentioned is teams like the browns who haven't gotten lucky and picked a few FA gems.

If you want to count on getting lucky, keep drafting Olinemen in the 6th round and sign a bunch of free agents.

If you want to stack the odds and actually be able to rely on sound O-line play, draft them early.

It's kind of like living a comfortable retirement. You can keep buying lotto tickets or you can start contributing to your 401 K early and often.

And Peyton was seriously under pressure by the Jets... point is, Rich, look and see how many OT's go in the first round of this year's draft.

And then note that it is for good reason.

And Peyton was seriously under pressure by the Jets... point is, Rich, look and see how many OT's go in the first round of this year's draft.

And then note that it is for good reason.

I am glad you guys all agree with a the losing prop we have...........since we got three first rounders on our oline and two of em top ten picks and our offense sucks.

When we get some skill players all of sudden these guys will really be good as good as FA's on Indy.

I sure hope Holmgren get out the brain dead strategy of building a winner and figures how to get a franchise QB some solid Wr's and two really RB's and some disruptive Defensive players.

I would really go for Bradford if he is available and prolly the WR kid from Cincy if he is not. I would be OK with drafing the CB from Florida. Second round I certainly would take a QB lefevour is interesting

Indy...........

LT 6th rounder

LG FA

C FA

RG FA

RT 4th rounder

NO

LT 4th rounder

LG 5th rounder

C FA

RG 4th rounder

RT 2nd rounder

Boom Dime a Dozen Rules

Really dude.... lets just let the big boys handle this one

I think it depends on the scouts talent and the coaches needs, some potentially great OL guys are almost always available in the 4th to 7th round..but the more sure shot afcn style run/pass blocking OLs are found in rd 1 through 3 with the second round being premium...it would be hard to flesh out a total 6th round line that could get er done unless your scouts were real value vs talent scavengers and far better than ours have been and your coach has a couple of years to develop these project grade guys...

Anyone who discounts the importance of top pick linemen only need to look as far as Seattle. When Hutchinson was on the line Shaun Alexander put up all pro numbers. As soon as he went to minnesota, Alexander started tiptoeing through the tulips.

A dominant line allows Priest Holmes to run for 5000 yards and 60 TDs in 3 years. A line full of 7th rounders gives Joseph Addai 800 yards per year.

I am glad you guys all agree with a the losing prop we have...........since we got three first rounders on our oline and two of em top ten picks and our offense sucks.

When we get some skill players all of sudden these guys will really be good as good as FA's on Indy.

I sure hope Holmgren get out the brain dead strategy of building a winner and figures how to get a franchise QB some solid Wr's and two really RB's and some disruptive Defensive players.

I would really go for Bradford if he is available and prolly the WR kid from Cincy if he is not. I would be OK with drafing the CB from Florida. Second round I certainly would take a QB lefevour is interesting

I have a WHat? MOMENT...."since we got three first rounders on our oline and two of em top ten picks " huh? ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THE bROWNS RICH? AND IF YOU THINK gILYARD IS A FIRST ROUND PICK YOU ARE DELUSIONAL!

in my book, any position that makes the pro bowl all 3 of his first 3 years is worth a first round pick. kickers aside of course.

JT was a good pick to me. and alex mack seemed to really be getting good as it got late into the season. i'd rather we get guys like joe T and alex mack with our first pick than getting WRs, QBs, or RBs that are complete busts.

in my book, any position that makes the pro bowl all 3 of his first 3 years is worth a first round pick. kickers aside of course.

JT was a good pick to me. and alex mack seemed to really be getting good as it got late into the season. i'd rather we get guys like joe T and alex mack with our first pick than getting WRs, QBs, or RBs that are complete busts.

and OH yeah NO OLINE guy never scored a TD or threw a

TD pass and here we are/....................dumbest of the dumb for ten years and draftinjg OL guys repeatedly with top picks

and the Worst JUSTIFYING DUMB AT IT"S FINEST

Of course that is the formula for losing forever..........but that is cool if losing floats your boat

TD pass and here we are/....................dumbest of the dumb for ten years and draftinjg OL guys repeatedly with top picks

Steve Everett in '93... Jeff Faine in '03... then Jt and AM... Doesn't sound like a decade of drafting OL guys repeatedly with top picks to me.

Sorry Rich, I think you are wrong.

At least you aren't talking "sexy picks" like Shep did.

I'm an offensive lineman, and I've scored two touchdowns in my career.

I also had 3 completions in a middle school game as our "emergency QB".

Count it.

Our offense sucks? You want to expound on how Jerome Harrison rushed for 286 yards against the Chiefs? Seems like all that high priced o-line talent was opening a few holes to run through. No?

Your Shittsburgh fave Bennie Boy is one or two shots away from early retirement because his sieve o-line can't pass block (or run block for that matter) anymore.

Gillyard may well be there in the second round or even the third. Glad to see you've 1\2 come to your senses that Hayden is a wise pick @ #7- high CB picks rarely bust.

is dat da ich on fire??

My God, he has been trumping this and a few other points going back freaking years. da ich, honestly man, you got to dig up something else to be right about all the time. Next on the agenda will be Offense wins Championships and Teddy Fatgame was a bad pickup.

Someone, somehow, somewhere get this guy some fresh material. da ich, maybe your wife can help you out.

Archived