THE BROWNS BOARD

Will you take the census exam?

Mr. T

Barack Obama opponents urge census boycott

source

Conservative opponents of the Obama administration are urging supporters to resist the upcoming US census, saying it asks too many questions and reflects increasing government intrusion into private matters.

The census, held every 10 years since 1790, is becoming a focal point for the growing anti-government movement in the US.

The government will endeavour to count every person living in the US, regardless of legal, immigration or citizenship status. The count, which helps determine political representation and the distribution of hundreds of billions of dollars in government funds, is mandated by the constitution.

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, a virulently conservative, anti-Obama Republican from Minnesota, has urged supporters to give only the number of people living in their household, saying nothing more is required by the constitution.

"And I know for my family the only question that we will be answering is how many people are in our home," she told a newspaper. "We won't be answering any information beyond that, because the constitution doesn't require any information beyond that."

Glenn Beck, a Fox News presenter and one of the loudest voices on the American right, attacked the plan to include undocumented immigrants in the count, and said he too would only answer the question on how many people lived in his household.

"Government in the last couple years has not proven itself to accomplish anything, maintain data properly, get money to districts properly," Eric Odom, a prominent organiser in the anti-government "tea party" movement, told the Guardian. "I don't want them to have my private information and I don't trust them to get anything right. If you want to know my name, my age, where I live, you can find that on my website, but to go any further is out of the realm of acceptability."

Michael Johns, a former speechwriter for George Bush Sr, put conservative mistrust of the census down to fears the Obama administration would inappropriately politicise the operation.

"The tea party movement has legitimate concerns about the integrity of the process," Johns said in an interview.

This year's census will ask 10 questions, including name, age, sex, whether the respondent owns or rents a home, and questions about race and ethnicity. The census form does not ask about immigration status, and the information is confidential.

"This is a census that is being conducted in a period of unusual animosity and hostility toward the government," said Kenneth Prewitt, professor of public affairs at Columbia University. "It's not that people are mad at that census, but when you're mad at the government you take it out on whatever is handy."

The census bureau has raised eyebrows by again including "negro" as a racial category (it lists African-American and black as synonyms). Most black Americans deem the term "negro" to be more archaic than offensive. The bureau has used the term for decades and opted to include it again after more than 50,000 wrote it in longhand on the 2000 form though it was an official selection.

"Does it have a negative connotation? Is it offensive? No," said Darrell Gaskins, associate professor of African-American studies at the University of Maryland. "But it brings up that feeling of the Jim Crow era," he said, referring to the long period of official racial segregation in the southern states.

Participation in the census is required by law and is punishable by a fine of $100 to $5,000 (£60 to £3,000), although the law is rarely enforced.

By law you only have to answer one question, that is how many people live here.

"How many people live here?

Me: "Four"

"And how.."

Me: "You mean including animals?"

"What do you mean?"

Me: "Well, the number of people living here. Does that include animals?"

"No, sir."

Me:. "Oh, well then it's only two."

"Not four?"

Me: "Well, only if you include our critters. They think they are people."

"Oookay. So, how many bathrooms do you have?"

Me: "Well, it's kinda hard to say. Somewhere around, oh, 7,000 possible, two definate."

"I don't understand. How many bathrooms do you have in your house?"

Me. "Oh. then it's only two, if you don't include all the trees in our woods..."

"How many rooms are in your house?"

Me: "I don't know. Never counted em."

"And what size is your yard?"

Me: "Well, it goes from over there, to over there, to way back there, then over again.. and out past the"

"Sir, I just mean the dimensions of your property, your yard. Length x Width"

Me: "Oh. I reckon somewhere around 1/6 of a mile long in yards, and one 1/8 of a mile wide in yards. I think

it goes pretty far down in the dirt, maybe almost to China, but I'm not sure."

"And, one more question. How many..."

Me: "Oh, I have a phone call, please hold"

"But I only hav"

Me: Shut the door, and go make myself some lunch. @@

Not really steve, who the hell has time to sit down and answer all those questions. Maybe you can have some snot nosed college kid in for tea while filling out all that paper work. All they need to know is how many people live in youe home.

Not really steve, who the hell has time to sit down and answer all those questions. Maybe you can have some snot nosed college kid in for tea while filling out all that paper work.

Heh.

I have time.

If the rest of you guys can't spare five minutes out of your busy day I guess Obammy's economy ain't that bad.

:lol:

WSS

Heh.

I have time.

If the rest of you guys can't spare five minutes out of your busy day I guess Obammy's economy ain't that bad.

:lol:

WSS

Are you talking about having to work extra just to make ends meet since about half of the work force is under employed?

The dumb census is more annoying to me, than the Patriot Act.

Nobody from the Patriot Act comes to my door, and asks me stupid questions.

But don't discount the possibility of asking about guns added to the list.

That's an easy answer:

"NO"

Archived