THE BROWNS BOARD

Trade Proposal

mopaji

There are some rumors that Joey Porter wants out of Miami because he's losing playing time. Now, consider Ronnie Brown gets hurt a lot, and Ricky Williams is getting old. What do you guys think about bringing in Joey Porter and a 2nd round pick for Harrison? I'm sure he would like to play back in the AFC North against some old rivals and his former team. That should help him "get up" for a lot of games. Assuming we keep D. Jackson, in the middle we would have a tackler and an 8 sack ILB for a year or two. This would allow the young guys in Maiva and Veikune to grow into their positions without feeling the pressure to get them in there.

This is just an introductory offer and an idea off the top of my head. I haven't looked at the specifics of either's contract so, talk amongst yourselves.

I really don't see the incentive for Miami to do that.

Forget Porter in the trade for a moment.

As it stands, you are talking Harrison for a 2nd rounder.

Well, Porter has some value, so are you suggesting we could trade harrison straight up for a 1st rounder??

I don't think so....I think it would be more like Porter and a 4th rounder....tops...and really, I don't see that happening either.

If we want Porter, maybe we could just offer a 5th rounder.

Miami just isn't going to offer a pick for Harrison unless it's so low we just wouldn't want it.

You have to understand, sometimes a player is worth more to one team then the other, and I think that's pretty much where Harrison falls at the moment.

There are some rumors that Joey Porter wants out of Miami because he's losing playing time. Now, consider Ronnie Brown gets hurt a lot, and Ricky Williams is getting old. What do you guys think about bringing in Joey Porter and a 2nd round pick for Harrison? I'm sure he would like to play back in the AFC North against some old rivals and his former team. That should help him "get up" for a lot of games. Assuming we keep D. Jackson, in the middle we would have a tackler and an 8 sack ILB for a year or two. This would allow the young guys in Maiva and Veikune to grow into their positions without feeling the pressure to get them in there.

This is just an introductory offer and an idea off the top of my head. I haven't looked at the specifics of either's contract so, talk amongst yourselves.

I think that Joey Porter is probably long in the tooth and really, truthfully has only 1 or 2 at most productive years in him. He will be entering his 12th season in the NFL. He is at a grandfatherly age for an outside LB in this league I surmise. Though for one year or two it might be worth getting him if we pretty much give absolutely nothing to get him. A 7th rounder..

I think there is a reason why 33 year old linebackers lose playing time. Also, he got benched for a game for character issues. The character issues were one thing when he was 25, but who wants to deal with his shit now?

And if we trade Harrison, then who do we have at runningback? No one. Unless you want to use that 2nd rounder on a rookie RB and turn things over to him ...

Doesn't make much sense to me ...and I'd really rather not see Porter ever be a Brown.

Zombo

That just doesn't seem like a good trade to me. You want to trade a young up and coming running back that we really don't know enough about for a player that is in his last years and slowing down. Where is the value in this trade? We would watch Harrison playing for another team and be wondering WTF did we do.

I think there is a reason why 33 year old linebackers lose playing time. Also, he got benched for a game for character issues. The character issues were one thing when he was 25, but who wants to deal with his shit now?

And if we trade Harrison, then who do we have at runningback? No one. Unless you want to use that 2nd rounder on a rookie RB and turn things over to him ...

Doesn't make much sense to me ...and I'd really rather not see Porter ever be a Brown.

Zombo

We have James Davis. Don't count him out.

We have James Davis. Don't count him out.

Well, yeah, we have James Davis, but that would be quite a leap of faith to trade a guy who rushed for 561 yards in his last three starts so that we can go with a unproven 6th round pick in his place.

Saying James Davis can be an everydown back is like saying Troy Smith can be our starting QB ... it's wishful thinking based on how a guy played at another level, they haven't done anything in the NFL.

I'm not saying Davis won't be good ... but Harrison is good. Damn good.

Zombo

--Could be a good trivia question for the Gipper ... has any Browns ever rushed for more yards in three consecutive games than Jerome Harrison has in his last three?

Well, yeah, we have James Davis, but that would be quite a leap of faith to trade a guy who rushed for 561 yards in his last three starts so that we can go with a unproven 6th round pick in his place.

Saying James Davis can be an everydown back is like saying Troy Smith can be our starting QB ... it's wishful thinking based on how a guy played at another level, they haven't done anything in the NFL.

I'm not saying Davis won't be good ... but Harrison is good. Damn good.

Zombo

--Could be a good trivia question for the Gipper ... has any Browns ever rushed for more yards in three consecutive games than Jerome Harrison has in his last three?

He was drawing massive amounts of praise for his preseason play. Although it's preseason, it's still NFL play, technically. I know what you mean, though. He is still unproven, but damn I'm excited to find out what he's capable of.

And, not to knock on Jerome Harrison or anything, because I do love the guy, but how much emphasis can we put on his last three games? They weren't exactly against stellar defensive groups. He still rushed for an inordinate amount of yards, which has to be taken into account, but I'd be much more excited if he had a great performance against Pittsburgh, Denver, Green Bay, Minnesota, or Chicago. He had a solid outing against Cincinatti in week 4, then his performance tapered out, then he got benched, then came back and was a complete non-factor yet again, then finished the season with a huge bang. So, not only does it seem like he's "off and on", but it seems like he's only "on" against weak teams.

Maybe that's the pessimistic side of me but just looking back over the stats, I find it kind of hard to sing his praises like everyone else is so ready to do. I like the guy and I think he's definitely serviceable, but I need a little more evidence until I'm on the "JH is our savior" train. It's still offputting that Chris Jennings nearly 8 times as many yards than Harrison did in the week 14 win over Pittsburgh.

That's what next season is for, though.

This is the ONLY idea I've seen from you that I didn't like. First, I HATE Joey Pottymouth because well, he's a scum bag. Second, why trade a RB that's capable of rushing for 286 yards on a team with all 11 defenders playign run only? Aside from that, we have a highly motivated Roth here that looked pretty good down the stretch.

- Tom F.

Don't trade Harrison unless you KNOW the guys left can carry the load. Secondly, let's not fall in love with the "idea" of Joey Porter because he clearly isn't the player that he once was. I suppose that you could make a case that Matt Roth excelled last year once he was out of Miami but we can't expect that Joey would do the same. Porter was not benched because he's 33. Porter was benched because he would disappear for games at a time and that's not what they pay him (and put up with his big yap) for.

No thanks. Next.

Ok, I know he showed a ton in the last 4 or 5 games of the season... But...

And we trash fans of other teams who come on here and overvalue their own players and/or undervalue ours...

Do you really think anyone will give us Harrison for a 2nd rounder, let alone with Joey Porter?

I don't.

He was a 5th round draft pick, who for some reason hasn't hardly played in 3 years, and has had just a couple good games. The best I see us getting is a 3rd round draft pick by itself. With Joey Porter, maybe we get the 5th back.

Not worth it in my mind.

Its the same argument about Kolb. At best, we give up two (2) first round draft picks and Shaun Rogers. But you guys keep throwing out ideas that if the Eagles would give him up for, he wouldn't be worth the time and effort.

Don't trade Harrison unless you KNOW the guys left can carry the load. Secondly, let's not fall in love with the "idea" of Joey Porter because he clearly isn't the player that he once was. I suppose that you could make a case that Matt Roth excelled last year once he was out of Miami but we can't expect that Joey would do the same. Porter was not benched because he's 33. Porter was benched because he would disappear for games at a time and that's not what they pay him (and put up with his big yap) for.

No thanks. Next.

Ditto. The Browns won't be building for 2010. So let's trade young talent for another soon to be over the hill LBer, and one with character issues to boot. PASS.

See, this is why I post here, you guys make some really good points. Most of which seem to believe Porter isn't worth it at his age and I'm starting to agree. I just drooled a little bit at the prospect of getting 8 sacks out of the LB position so I thought I would throw it out there. And Jerome does have real value. Either by keeping him here, or can get more for him. I feel like Davis and Jennings will do very well here as this O-Line has been designed to push defenses over and Jim Brown, today, could get 1,000 yards on this team.

Does anybody know what the tender is on Harrison? Would we be helping ourselves by shopping him?

He was drawing massive amounts of praise for his preseason play. Although it's preseason, it's still NFL play, technically. I know what you mean, though. He is still unproven, but damn I'm excited to find out what he's capable of.

And, not to knock on Jerome Harrison or anything, because I do love the guy, but how much emphasis can we put on his last three games? They weren't exactly against stellar defensive groups. He still rushed for an inordinate amount of yards, which has to be taken into account, but I'd be much more excited if he had a great performance against Pittsburgh, Denver, Green Bay, Minnesota, or Chicago. He had a solid outing against Cincinatti in week 4, then his performance tapered out, then he got benched, then came back and was a complete non-factor yet again, then finished the season with a huge bang. So, not only does it seem like he's "off and on", but it seems like he's only "on" against weak teams.

Maybe that's the pessimistic side of me but just looking back over the stats, I find it kind of hard to sing his praises like everyone else is so ready to do. I like the guy and I think he's definitely serviceable, but I need a little more evidence until I'm on the "JH is our savior" train. It's still offputting that Chris Jennings nearly 8 times as many yards than Harrison did in the week 14 win over Pittsburgh.

That's what next season is for, though.

His lack of production was due to lack of touches. Not because he ran 20 times for a 2 yard average. When he got the touches, he performed.

Secondly, I know KC has a weak D, but when they were stacking the box with 9, 10, and even 11 guys because they knew we were going to run, Harrison STILL got 286 yards. That has to say something.

Archived