THE BROWNS BOARD

What are the chances we draft a kicker?

NW Ohio Brownie

With rumors starting to emerge about Dawson's continued unhappiness with his current contract and speculation about his possible retirement, I'm wondering if we'll take a kicker with one of our 11 picks.

Outside of Leigh Tiffin from 'Bama, I'm not real familiar with the kickers available in the draft this year.

Still, it's important to have a good kicker in the fold, especially in Cleveland in late autumn.

With rumors starting to emerge about Dawson's continued unhappiness with his current contract and speculation about his possible retirement, I'm wondering if we'll take a kicker with one of our 11 picks.

Outside of Leigh Tiffin from 'Bama, I'm not real familiar with the kickers available in the draft this year.

Still, it's important to have a good kicker in the fold, especially in Cleveland in late autumn.

If they really needed a kicker they would probably pick one up off the heap. That is where many if not most kickers came from. Other than Janikowski or Nugent, what kickers were ever drafted in recent years?

With rumors starting to emerge about Dawson's continued unhappiness with his current contract and speculation about his possible retirement,

Retire? That has to be the worst bluff ever. I can see positions players in the twilight of their careers where they are unhappy with a contract so they figure it's not worth risking further injury and abuse to their bodies ... they have to prepare so hard each off-season to get their bodies to handle the punishment of another season....

But a KICKER? As long as someone is still willing to pay you NFL money to kick field goals on Sundays four months out of the year ... you are not walking away.

What in the wrold is Phil Dawson going to do in back in Bumphuck Texas that pays him $1 Million dollars per year or more?

Kickers don't retire, they kick until no one will pay them to kick anymore.

Zombo

Retire? That has to be the worst bluff ever. I can see positions players in the twilight of their careers where they are unhappy with a contract so they figure it's not worth risking further injury and abuse to their bodies ... they have to prepare so hard each off-season to get their bodies to handle the punishment of another season....

But a KICKER? As long as someone is still willing to pay you NFL money to kick field goals on Sundays four months out of the year ... you are not walking away.

What in the wrold is Phil Dawson going to do in back in Bumphuck Texas that pays him $1 Million dollars per year or more?

Kickers don't retire, they kick until no one will pay them to kick anymore.

Zombo

Good point, Zombo. I don't buy the retirement angle either, but it was mentioned on OBR. Still, Dawson could hold out.

If I was running the Browns, it would be a free-agent pickup, rather than a draft choice. I thought Cundiff did pretty well while we had him in fact. Although, Dawson came back before the weather got really nasty.

So, yes, you can find a serviceable leg somewhere I would think without having to burn a pick.

Matt Stover is 42 freaking years old and still kicking well. Dawson isn't retiring...

As we showed this year picking Cundiff off the scrap heap (who then went on to kick well for the Rats), kickers are everywhere. We've been fortunate to have a very consistent one for the last 10 years but if he chooses to hold out or retire then screw him.

Nobody drafts kickers except Al Davis. Well, we do have two 6th round picks- if Holmgren is really worried about Dawson holding out, that's a good place to take Tiffin.

it's important to have a good kicker in the fold, especially in Cleveland in late autumn.

it's important to have a lot of things, especially a good barometer. you can't catch your sea legs without a good barometer. a good moral compass north AND south to guide you through those murky waters. and, nwob, murky waters are the business, here in cleveland. it is for those reasons i agree that we need a good kicker. one that can TACKLE.

Nobody drafts kickers except Al Davis. Well, we do have two 6th round picks- if Holmgren is really worried about Dawson holding out, that's a good place to take Tiffin.

Al Davis drafted Janikowski in the 1st and P Ray Guy in the 1st.

Al Davis is freaking stupid (though he did take Bo Jackson in the 7th as a flier).

If they really needed a kicker they would probably pick one up off the heap. That is where many if not most kickers came from. Other than Janikowski or Nugent, what kickers were ever drafted in recent years?

You can't look at it that way. NFL kicker is a pretty rare job.

There are only 32 positions to be had, and since kickers can kick for a couple of decades, you probably only have 10 real jobs a decade open up, so no, they aren't drafted often.

That said, and I am not proposing we do, but seeing the importance of the position, and the fact if you get the right guy, you are set for 20 years, it only makes sense to me to draft one, and draft him fairly early. Why root around the scrap heap or heap of players who maybe just came out in a bad year for teams needing or looking for a kicker??

I myself would have no problem selecting a kicker in round 2 or 3 if I felt he was my guy and a guy who could do if for a long time. It's not like you are going to have to do it again anytime soon.

Same can be said for a punter, though to a somewhat lesser degree.

People made fun of Davis when he selected Ray Guy in the first round....I agree, that may have been a bit extreme, but he had to have a feeling someone was going to do it in the 2nd.

40 years later not many can say it was a bad or wasted pick.

I understand that Mike Nugent is a free agent. If Dawson were to leave, that could be a route to go. But I don't see using any draft picks on a K.

Mike Nugent is not good anymore. There is a reason we brought in Cundiff last year, instead of Nugent who played for mangini on the jets.

You can't look at it that way. NFL kicker is a pretty rare job.

There are only 32 positions to be had, and since kickers can kick for a couple of decades, you probably only have 10 real jobs a decade open up, so no, they aren't drafted often.

That said, and I am not proposing we do, but seeing the importance of the position, and the fact if you get the right guy, you are set for 20 years, it only makes sense to me to draft one, and draft him fairly early. Why root around the scrap heap or heap of players who maybe just came out in a bad year for teams needing or looking for a kicker??

I myself would have no problem selecting a kicker in round 2 or 3 if I felt he was my guy and a guy who could do if for a long time. It's not like you are going to have to do it again anytime soon.

Same can be said for a punter, though to a somewhat lesser degree.

People made fun of Davis when he selected Ray Guy in the first round....I agree, that may have been a bit extreme, but he had to have a feeling someone was going to do it in the 2nd.

40 years later not many can say it was a bad or wasted pick.

Well sometimes drafting a kicker is a sane pick, sometimes not. Al Davis certainly could have gotten Janikowski & Guy (who should be in the HOF) a lot lower than first round. OTOH, the only other kickers taken on day 1 that I can remember is TB taking Martin Gramattica- who was all-everything @ Kansas State & Nugent Ohio State (ditto) by the Jets. That didn't work out so well. Like I said, if they're worried about Dawson (FWIW, his increasingly weak leg IS a legit concern) we have 2 sixth round picks- no harm drafting a kicker there.

To my knowledge, Nugent was the Jets kicker this whole year, wasn't he? Are you saying he was let go by them?

OK, I see in checking Nugent was with 2 teams, none being the Jets.

So, what happened to him, Did he have an injury?

He isn't that old. Kickers are kind of like that. They are great guns for awhile, then have a career slump, then come around and are excellent for 10 more years.

It has happened to some of the best of them.

There was a show which aired recently on the best 10 and worst 10 (busts)picks. Ray Guy was considered one of the top 10 draft picks of all time because he controlled field position his entire career. I wouldn't have considered him top 10 but the Raiders didn't regret taking him and other groups thought it was a great choice.

OK, I see in checking Nugent was with 2 teams, none being the Jets.

So, what happened to him, Did he have an injury?

He isn't that old. Kickers are kind of like that. They are great guns for awhile, then have a career slump, then come around and are excellent for 10 more years.

It has happened to some of the best of them.

I keep pretty close tabs on Nugent, since he's from Dayton (Centerville, actually) That's exactly what happened to Nugent- went into a big time slump where he missed about 1\2 his fgs, and got cut. IIRC, he's still out there, trying to catch on with yet another team.

Archived