THE BROWNS BOARD

Love Joe Haden but...

cdl15

Myself you could prob find a couple of seasoned vets to spruce up a desent secondary. We've drafted a few CB's in the last few years and the book is still out on them. Coy Francies, Wright, McDonald I don't think adding another rookie will help that much. WR too we really need to investigate free agency and trade in order to find help there. we already have pups there throw in a full grown dog into these positions and they will be solid.

And not an Abram Elam or Hank Poteat Or a Joey Galloway or ect.

but more like a Brandon Marshall Bolden evan a steve Breston would help reciever core.

For CBs and Safteys im looking towards Dunta Robinson, Houston Texans (28) Leigh Bodden, New England Patriots (28) Antoine Bethea, Indianapolis Colts (26) – Roy Williams, Cincinnati Bengals (30

I just don't see Houston or Ind letting Robinson or Bethea walk. Williams is overrated and isn't getting any younger. I do think that Bodden could be worth a shot to mentor our younger CBs a bit. But you have to remember that our team isn't one or two pieces from a championship. Were still a couple years out from being superbowl worthy and its gonna be hard and most likely pointless to attract any older free agents. I just don't see how any of the 3 of them could have more of an impact than Haden could have. I mean look at what a Darelle Revis/ Nmandi Asomugha can do for your defense. Obviously we don't know if Haden would or could pan out to that, but with our position in the draft and what might be available to us, I don't see any reason not to take him.

If you look at our team, the major holes are QB, WR, RT, LBs and DBs. With a 7th overall selection, I only feel that a QB, LB, or DB would fit our value at that position. But no QBs look to fit that value this year. So that narrows it down to LBs and DBs, which more closely narrows it to Berry, Haden, McClain, or Morgan. And that's the order in which I would rank these players come draft time

i agree with you somewhat, but the post above pretty much sums it up. Almost every report about Haden is that he will be a shut down corner in this league. I feel strongly that our two strongest needs are DB and QB. Since no QB is good enough for that pick and Berry will be gone, Haden makes the most sense for what the browns are trying to do. Any of those guys would be a nice shot in the arm (other than Williams) for us though.

When a team has a good CB they never let them leave. When was the last good free agent cornerback, Nate Clements? He got 80 million from SF and has underperfomed since. You have to build this position through the draft.

Drafting McDonald and Francies in no way compares to drafting Joe Haden. He is regarded by everyone as the best corner in the draft and by most to be the best corner prospect since Revis.

Putting him opposite wright would give the defense a lot of man-to-man flexibility and open up the safeties to play more aggressively. We really only have one effective player on the secondary right now because we have no idea how Pool is going to end up.

My draft board.

Berry

Suh

McCoy

Haden

Okung

Drafting McDonald and Francies in no way compares to drafting Joe Haden. He is regarded by everyone as the best corner in the draft and by most to be the best corner prospect since Revis.

Putting him opposite wright would give the defense a lot of man-to-man flexibility and open up the safeties to play more aggressively. We really only have one effective player on the secondary right now because we have no idea how Pool is going to end up.

My draft board.

Berry

Suh

McCoy

Haden

Okung

So, on your draft board, are you saying you want us to get all of those players? Or is that the order you have them ranked. Because I would put Okung over McCoy and Haden above Berry, based solely on our needs, not necessarily the greatest player. Also, I think McClain should be in there somewhere.

The wisest way to draft is a balance between best available player and greatest need. If the best corner in the draft is there, dont pass because you need a safety more (example). We need an upgrade everywhere but LT, C and PR/KR.

I agree. You can never go wrong taking a future all pro unless you already have one at that position.

My draft board.

Berry

Suh

McCoy

Haden

Okung

Yea just was looking at the espn signing day history picks and joe haden was in the top ten recruits four years ago. He was one of the "can't miss guys" then and he is the "can't miss guys" now. My therory is to make the strongest point of the whole team even better. And the o'line has always been our achellies heal. the only year our line wasn't a joke was 07 and thomas was a rookie and that line wasn't even that good. the line has always been put together half ass espesally last year with st clair and porkchop womack these two guys are the absolute weak links in our offense

Look at the wr's in our division already. And they could be more dangerous this coming season.

A shutdown cb, future all pro cb for the Browns? Priceless.

I'm SO freakin tired of all the pitch-and-catch the Steelers, for example, can pull off so easily for a first down, with Hines Ward or the other

guy whose name I forget for some reason.

But man, having this front office staff w Mangini and co. on board - you KNOW they are going to know the stuff to make the right decision.

Can't WAIT for the draft.

So, on your draft board, are you saying you want us to get all of those players? Or is that the order you have them ranked. Because I would put Okung over McCoy and Haden above Berry, based solely on our needs, not necessarily the greatest player. Also, I think McClain should be in there somewhere.

That is my order based on talent and need. I think Berry and Suh are the best players, followed by McCoy, followed by a few, the biggest needs of the rest being at corner and RT. I would be happy with any of the five with Suh, Berry, and McCoy very unlikely.

I would love Haden or Okung, especially Haden. I know we seem to overate our linebackers every year but I kind of want to see what our LB core can do with a year in the system and a healthy DQ.

We are a long ways away, but right now I think those are my top 5 and yah you're right McClain is probably right up there at 6.

I'd love to see us go Haden, RT in round 2, and Rolle in round 3....IF this guy lasts to round 3, he's gonna be a steal. He would've prolly went round 1 two years ago, and is reportedly in stellar shape at the all star game. NOT gonna find a smarter guy in the draft(Rhodes Schollar) and I think if we can address those things and land those players in the first few picks, I'd certainly be happy with it. Haden by all accounts will be Mangini's Revis...he already got his Mangold last year, now he's going for his shutdown corner. When I look at the way they built the Jets while he was there with a kick ass line and defense, I'm jealous...I can see us in the same mold and would love it. McDonald and Wright are not the future 1 and 2 we need....one of them would be a great nickel back though backing up these two!

Haden would be a solid pick,but the offense doesn't strike fear in anyone.CJ Spiller would open things up giving other guys chances to make plays.I just think a quality CB could be found in top 10 in round 2.

If we traded down 15-20 slots I wouldn't mind Spiller, but not at 7. Passing up too many players way better than him.

Archived