THE BROWNS BOARD

Donte Stallworth Reinstated Sunday

Tim Couch Pulls Out

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4889938

To me, it seems like he is showing genuine remorse. I know most people do not agree in giving him a second chance, but I am actually for it. I know Mangini and Co. will disagree, though. To me, I don't necessarily believe this shows a character deficiency in Stallworth. I believe it was just an accident. Stallworth seems like an educated guy and he comes across as very respectful in most interviews I've seen. I think this tragedy just shows how fast someone's life can change. What Stallworth did was stupid, immature, and cost a man his life. Luckily for him, he was given a second chance. I'm genuinely intrigued to see what he does with this second chance. I'll be following his season, wherever he plays.

The interview also sheds some light as to why he was given a reduced sentence as well as plays the Stallworth's 911 call and shows some video taken at the scene.

He may be reinstated by the NFL....But, as he received any offers to play?? I didnt listen to the interview

Well he's still technically under contract with us, so I don't believe anybody can really offer him anything at the moment. They didn't mention that in the interview, though. It was more just a one-on-one about the accident and how he feels about what happened.

you and I had a good debate on this and I respect your opinion on the second chance. However, take all the legal stuff aside, he was on the way to being yet another bust for us. The numbers pretty much speak for themselves. I can hear the argument that he didn't have much help and a bad QB, but still. As I've seen people say here, there's a reason this guy was dumped from the pats and eagles after a season. He got injury prone late as well.

I'll be interested to see if he gets back and where he goes.

you and I had a good debate on this and I respect your opinion on the second chance. However, take all the legal stuff aside, he was on the way to being yet another bust for us. The numbers pretty much speak for themselves. I can hear the argument that he didn't have much help and a bad QB, but still. As I've seen people say here, there's a reason this guy was dumped from the pats and eagles after a season. He got injury prone late as well.

I'll be interested to see if he gets back and where he goes.

I agree with that fully. He wasn't very productive for us in the least. Was he in the best of situations? No, but a good receiver should make the best of his surroundings. I don't expect him to be a star wherever he goes. The only reason I even want him back is because we spent a good deal to land him, and he only had one season to prove himself. I don't think he'll be posting up 1500 yard seasons by any stretch of the imagination. But I would like to give him one more season to try and at least make an impact. I still don't think he'll be a Brown, but I do want to see what he does wherever he lands.

I'd say keep him, and see what he has. Remember he has been out for a year though. He will be a tad rusty, so injuries will probably play a part. I think he will play better and try harder than before, just because he knows he has gotten a second chance. If we don't keep him, then we don't we will just have to pay for another.

I'd say keep him, and see what he has. Remember he has been out for a year though. He will be a tad rusty, so injuries will probably play a part. I think he will play better and try harder than before, just because he knows he has gotten a second chance. If we don't keep him, then we don't we will just have to pay for another.

A second chance? He just received his bonus gets drunk hits a man,so now he's gonna try harder? He should've been gratefull for getting the bonus in the first place!

Both are wrong. Arrange a trade for him to go to the Raiders, they'll be glad to give him a chance.

What? A habitual water bottle stealer gets over a thousand bucks fine and gets traded? (goodriddance to Braying Edwards).

But this guy gets his bonus, screws up like he did, and gets a "second chance" at staying with the team?

Nope. I say, he's gone, but good luck to him starting over somewhere else.

The Browns have paid this guy alot of money. Why not at least give him a try out? I'm sure he will come cheap. Why not a one year cheap contract if they like what they see? Maybe they can get some return on their investment. God knows we could use someone with hands.

This guy could get hurt picking up a football......NO THANKS.

As an old tennis pro used to say; "You cannot be serious" :huh:

As an old tennis pro used to say; "You cannot be serious" :huh:

Why cant I be serious. People make mistakes everyday, I do not like that he killed somebody while being under the influence. How many of us have went to get a bite to eat after a night of partying? My guess a lot of us, just like the ones who drink at games then drive home. Everything is made a lot bigger when a celeb does something wrong. He had a great lawyer he had video evidence with the guy not walking in the crosswalk, and he didn't flee the scene. He did everything that you could have done after the accident. 30 days was minor and he is lucky to be reinstated. My point being that after such a tragedy in life there are endings that can work out for the better. It don't matter what i say, they are going to release him.

I have to believe Mangini and co. will continue to clean out bad seeds bad attitudes and cancers and move forward with his players,so there is no room for Stallworth.

I think Mangini, Holmgren and company will meet with Stallworth and make the decision based on both his attitude and the likelihood that he'll contribute positively to the Browns' progress forward.

If he is truly contrite and would be a positive influence for incoming players AND he will be a productive receiver, then I think he'll stay. He's learned a hard lesson and could be a voice for good with rookies and other young players if he truly has learned the lesson.

Report: Browns will release Stallworth upon return

Posted: February 6th, 2010 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Cleveland Browns, Donte' Stallworth, Roger Goodell

Wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth received good news on Friday when NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced during his annual Super Bowl news conference that Stallworth would be reinstated into the league at some point after Super Bowl XLIV. Where Stallworth plays next season, though, appears to be another issue.

Citing an unnamed source, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns will release Stallworth upon reinstatement, although a formal announcement may not come immediately.

Stallworth, who was under the influence, struck and killed a pedestrian while driving on a causeway connecting Miami and Miami Beach on March 14, 2009, resulting in his suspension from football. He served 24 days in jail and was placed on house arrest.

The Plain Dealer’s report says the Browns’ decision would be made by March 20, because if Stallworth is on the 80-man roster on that date — which is the 15th day of the 2010 league year — he would earn a $1 million roster bonus that Cleveland has no intention of paying him.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/06/report-bro...ase-stallworth/

The Plain Dealer’s report says the Browns’ decision would be made by March 20, because if Stallworth is on the 80-man roster on that date — which is the 15th day of the 2010 league year — he would earn a $1 million roster bonus that Cleveland has no intention of paying him.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/06/report-bro...ase-stallworth/

Makes complete sense that the Browns would not want to pay him any kind of a bonus.

I vote that we cut him - to save us from paying the $1 million dollar roster bonus, but try to bring him back at or near the veteran's minimum. Let's face it, we are very weak at WR and if he can give us anything it will be worth it. Yes, his one year was a bust, but sign him to a small one year deal and see where it goes. Its worth a shot.

I vote that we cut him - to save us from paying the $1 million dollar roster bonus, but try to bring him back at or near the veteran's minimum. Let's face it, we are very weak at WR and if he can give us anything it will be worth it. Yes, his one year was a bust, but sign him to a small one year deal and see where it goes. Its worth a shot.

I agree cut him! don't want him back.Look were the Colts and Saints WR were drafted.I would rather go that route.

Archived