THE BROWNS BOARD

Put yourself in his shoes...

BrownsBacker85

Alright, I'm sick of reading posts all over the web from NFL fans slamming Stallworth for this incident. Speaking from expirence I can say that remorse can be a powerful thing. Granted I didnt kill anyone but I did hurt them while I was driving drunk(they were a passenger in my vehicle) This is the ONLY trouble I have ever been in, EVER. I recieved 2 years in prison. Now, yes Stallworth got of VERY light but this was brought on by the victims family. You cant blam him for this sentence. I would take it also...and so would every single one of you. I have to live with the weight of hurting someone out of stupidity every day. I cant imagine the weight of taking another persons life unintintionally. What would you do if you were in his position? Tell them you want more prison time? I seriously doubt it. You would be gratefull you recieved this wonderful second chance and move foward a better man, or woman, for it.

Hell, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I'm speeking with emotion. All I know is I would have been dead in the water without the support I recieved after my incident. So, I cant hate on him. I personally wish him the best of luck with or (hopefully)without the Browns.

(note: I DO NOT endorse the browns retaining the services of Stallworth.)

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't believe nor ever have that Stallworth is a bad guy.

We need more forgiveness and caring in this world rather than vilifying everybody for their mistakes. What he did he has to live with. BTW, this incident wasn't even his fault with the exception he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with alcohol still in his system.

Our society wants to make villains out of individuals to prop ourselves up as people. Some of the biggest drinkers I know have been all over this guy and it just boggles my mind. Best of luck to you getting your life back on track and for being honest about what happened with you. Seriously, good luck to you.

I agree wholeheartedly. I don't believe nor ever have that Stallworth is a bad guy.

We need more forgiveness and caring in this world rather than vilifying everybody for their mistakes. What he did he has to live with. BTW, this incident wasn't even his fault with the exception he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with alcohol still in his system.

Our society wants to make villains out of individuals to prop ourselves up as people. Some of the biggest drinkers I know have been all over this guy and it just boggles my mind. Best of luck to you getting your life back on track and for being honest about what happened with you. Seriously, good luck to you.

Precisely. Self-righteousness is annoying. Pride goes before the fall....and by the way.....Go Colts

i think most people agree with you on this. I don't believe for one second he deserves to have to live under a bridge the rest of his life. Hell yes I would of taken that sentence, anyone would of as you said. What I and others feel is just that he squandered a precious precious gift in getting to play in the NFL by making that decision. I truly wish him the best of luck and know in his heart that he regrets his decision. He's a good guy who made a terrible decision. I just don't know he fits into the browns organization from a football standpoint.

what i can objectively and will keep saying is that in terms of pure football skill he isn't worth bringing back in. He had not preformed in the NFL for a few years, and got the boot from the Eagles and Pats after a season for a reason.

How hard do you think Plaxico is sitting in his cell kicking himself for not getting this guys attorney?! If Donte is re-instated, someone will bite, hopefully the Browns waste no time in releasing ...hell, better yet, see if we can swing a 6th or 7th rounder for him? Can't hurt right?

If Donte is re-instated, someone will bite, hopefully the Browns waste no time in releasing ...hell, better yet, see if we can swing a 6th or 7th rounder for him? Can't hurt right?

I was just thinking that. What if the Browns try to get some trade value out of him?

I have taken that position from the beginning, and I agree. Everyone deserves a shot at redemption and nobody feels worse about this than does Dante.

People need to get over this Draconian, cookie cutter mentality when it comes to such matters.

By the way, very brave and touching sharing of a difficult life experience. It takes a strong person to stand up and announce such. I tip my hat to you and hope you find a degree of peace as I am sure that is a moment in your life you play over and over.

Everybody who runs in to legal trouble aren't bad people. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

How hard do you think Plaxico is sitting in his cell kicking himself for not getting this guys attorney?!

Dude, in many cases the attorney doesn't matter. They can't walk on water or leap tall buildings.

In Stallworths case there was a DUI, and a unavoidable accident that was determined to be no fault of his. The DUI complicated things no doubt, but had he been sober, he wouldn't have been cited for anything.

Stallworths attorney didn't pull a rabbit out of his hat here....he made his plea to the jury based on the actual circumstances surround the incident.

It was good advocating no doubt, but it wasn't something for the ages.

In the end, fair is fair. You can't just pile on bogus charges because the guy blew over the limit.

You have to consider the facts in their entirety.

Dude, in many cases the attorney doesn't matter. They can't walk on water or leap tall buildings.

In Stallworths case there was a DUI, and a unavoidable accident that was determined to be no fault of his. The DUI complicated things no doubt, but had he been sober, he wouldn't have been cited for anything.

Stallworths attorney didn't pull a rabbit out of his hat here....he made his plea to the jury based on the actual circumstances surround the incident.

It was good advocating no doubt, but it wasn't something for the ages.

In the end, fair is fair. You can't just pile on bogus charges because the guy blew over the limit.

You have to consider the facts in their entirety.

Let's look at the cases...one guy accidentally killed another human while intoxicated...something that if he hadn't been impaired could'be possibly been avoided by a man whose lifestyle is made by incredibly quick decisions made in a heartbeat. Perhaps if he was sober, he would've been able to react quicker and avoid the man. On the other hand we have a dumb ass that was carrying a gun(illegally, but something that could've been legal had he had it registered) and accidentally shot himself like a dumb ass. One man is out and about and roaming the streets, one is serving HARD time for 2 years...do the crimes both fit the punishments, I think not, but that just my opinion. All I was stating is that one OBVIOUSLY had a team behind him that was able to litigate and deter the situation for a much more favorable outcome than the other.

Actually, I do think the punishments fit the crimes.

You can't get around the fact the outcome of Stallworth's situation had nothing to do with him having had a few drinks.

Stallworth paid the price of a normal DUI and more.

Burris is paying the minimum price for his.....do I agree with that price??? No, but it is what it is. Until the law in NY or wherever it was is changed, no amount of litigating is going to get around the mandatory minimums. The judge has no sentencing grid where he or she can reduce the time based on mitigating factors in cases like his. You get X time at minimum, and that's that if found guilty.

i think most people agree with you on this. I don't believe for one second he deserves to have to live under a bridge the rest of his life. Hell yes I would of taken that sentence, anyone would of as you said. What I and others feel is just that he squandered a precious precious gift in getting to play in the NFL by making that decision. I truly wish him the best of luck and know in his heart that he regrets his decision. He's a good guy who made a terrible decision. I just don't know he fits into the browns organization from a football standpoint.

what i can objectively and will keep saying is that in terms of pure football skill he isn't worth bringing back in. He had not preformed in the NFL for a few years, and got the boot from the Eagles and Pats after a season for a reason.

agreed. as a human being, i want donte to redeem himself and turn his life around. but as a cleveland browns fan, i don't see the value in paying this guy his roster bonus and letting him take up a roster spot that can be held by someone who doesn't have injury issues.

the guy can't stay healthy, he hurt himself in freaking warm-ups for crying out loud and missed a good amount of games. why would anyone want to give a player like that more money when you can address this need in another fa who's more sturdy? i just don't get the fascination that some people have with donte staying with the browns. he was a waste of a fa and a big time savage bust.

Actually, I do think the punishments fit the crimes.

You can't get around the fact the outcome of Stallworth's situation had nothing to do with him having had a few drinks.

Stallworth paid the price of a normal DUI and more.

Burris is paying the minimum price for his.....do I agree with that price??? No, but it is what it is. Until the law in NY or wherever it was is changed, no amount of litigating is going to get around the mandatory minimums. The judge has no sentencing grid where he or she can reduce the time based on mitigating factors in cases like his. You get X time at minimum, and that's that if found guilty.

We live in a world where there are alot of plea agreements reached and this is an instance where if the situation had been handled properly from the get go instead of his attorney's "fumbling" from the start...he may have received a lesser sentence and possibly saved himself alot of heartache. Plax initially denied things like a ruh-tard and it ended up costing him. Had he had the right people representing him early in the precedings and he just admitted to his wrong-doings maybe the prosicuting attorney doesn't try to make an example of him as an athelete/celebrity in this situation. Perhaps he gets what an "average joe" would've gotten, which is probably just a slap on the wrist...don't get me wrong, I think he needed to be punished and that pro athletes carrying guns in our day and age is a horrible thing that needs to stop...Gilbert is being made an example of as well, and quite honestly I love it. I have had good friends taken away b/c of guns and I hate guns.

Let me repeat....my whole argument in this whole thing is that Plax received worse advice and had a far inferior legal staff handling his case....that's it, not endorsing either side or the punishments that they received, merely stating the facts, which is Donte got off on far less than Buress for "kinda" similar indescrepencies.

I'm not saying we should get rid of him because of what he did. I want him gone because he gets hurt a lot and isn't worth the money we are paying him. Everyone deserves a second chance for their mistake, but this has nothigto do with that. He's not a number one receiver and there is no reason to pay him like one.

As the victim of a drunk driver I just can't forgive someone who pulls this, I understand that for you older guys it was a different time when you could drink and the cops would tell you to just take the back roads home. I don't think the majority of you know the effect being the victim has on somebody. I got off rediculously lucky in the fact that I wasn't killed.

As the victim of a drunk driver I just can't forgive someone who pulls this, I understand that for you older guys it was a different time when you could drink and the cops would tell you to just take the back roads home. I don't think the majority of you know the effect being the victim has on somebody. I got off rediculously lucky in the fact that I wasn't killed.

A drunk driver hit my mother and me 10 years ago, and my mother broke her neck. The next 4 years were a whirlwind of legal matters as well as hospital visits, as my mom had to have a multitude of a surgeries to fix her neck. Her upper spine is now composed primarily of steel and other peoples' bone. Needless to say, she still has terrible problems with neck pain and discomfort. As for me, I was less than 2 inches away from being decapitated by a metal street sign post. For a 10 year old, that's pretty traumatic. I had no lasting injuries, thank God, but I do still recall the terror I felt from time to time. I bring this up not to downplay your experience, but to simply let you know that I, too, am a victim of a drunk driver.

Although I do not condone drunk driving in the least, I do believe mightily in forgiveness as well as in second chances. I believe everybody makes mistakes, and Stallworth is human just like everyone else. I believe that, ultimately, people are not judged by their moral and/or societal indiscretions but by what they choose to do with the second chances they are given. Stallworth has earned a shot at redemption not because he's a football star, or a multi-millionaire but simply because he's a human being.

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, and I respect whatever opinion you may have. But, as the thread title states, try to put yourself in his shoes. That's all anyone asks.

A drunk driver hit my mother and me 10 years ago, and my mother broke her neck. The next 4 years were a whirlwind of legal matters as well as hospital visits, as my mom had to have a multitude of a surgeries to fix her neck. Her upper spine is now composed primarily of steel and other peoples' bone. Needless to say, she still has terrible problems with neck pain and discomfort. As for me, I was less than 2 inches away from being decapitated by a metal street sign post. For a 10 year old, that's pretty traumatic. I had no lasting injuries, thank God, but I do still recall the terror I felt from time to time. I bring this up not to downplay your experience, but to simply let you know that I, too, am a victim of a drunk driver.

Although I do not condone drunk driving in the least, I do believe mightily in forgiveness as well as in second chances. I believe everybody makes mistakes, and Stallworth is human just like everyone else. I believe that, ultimately, people are not judged by their moral and/or societal indiscretions but by what they choose to do with the second chances they are given. Stallworth has earned a shot at redemption not because he's a football star, or a multi-millionaire but simply because he's a human being.

You are entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, and I respect whatever opinion you may have. But, as the thread title states, try to put yourself in his shoes. That's all anyone asks.

Well, see mine just happened recently so you can understand my anger. My question to you is what if the case is that its the guys eighth DUI. I just really feel like the guy is a waste for one and the system is crap.

I am not big for mandates thrust upon us, but I myself would be in favor of requiring breath interlock devices.

Those deals where the car won't start if you blow too high and then have to blow maybe every 30 minutes to keep the car running.

I really wouldn't see this as any more infringement than the mandated use of seat belts.

Currently the cost for the devices is fairly high....maybe around $3000, but it could get much lower than that. The hand held units might run a few hundred bucks...stick a chip in the things and get a plug-in on the dash...I bet with volume the cost could get down in the the $500 range.

You really wouldn't even need to have a check once the car starts. Most drunks get in to the car that way. It isn't very often someone gets in to the car legal then consumes enough booze while driving to become drunk.

Then set really stiff penalties for those who circumvent the system and are in fact driving drunk.

Maybe set the interlock for .50 so a person who has consumed some liquor doesn't get in while legal who's BAC continues to rise....

I think I am going to buy one of those hand held devices...to be honest I have no clue what it feels like at .08. Oh...I have been there and higher, probably nightly.....then maybe not...I just wonder how drunk .08 really is...is it at a point I know I am drunk and know I wouldn't drive and opt for a cab.....which I have done before.. or is it so low I really wouldn't consider myself drunk? It isn't much for me to have 2-3 beers with lunch or dinner...or a couple of glasses of wine. If that is legally impaired...well...Houston, we have a problem, because if it is, I need to reassess my driving or drinking habits.

Yep...have been meaning to check this out....I may start looking around and conduct a test....maybe even do it one night on the board....is .08 impaired or is it something way less?

I am not big for mandates thrust upon us, but I myself would be in favor of requiring breath interlock devices.

Those deals where the car won't start if you blow too high and then have to blow maybe every 30 minutes to keep the car running.

I really wouldn't see this as any more infringement than the mandated use of seat belts.

Currently the cost for the devices is fairly high....maybe around $3000, but it could get much lower than that. The hand held units might run a few hundred bucks...stick a chip in the things and get a plug-in on the dash...I bet with volume the cost could get down in the the $500 range.

You really wouldn't even need to have a check once the car starts. Most drunks get in to the car that way. It isn't very often someone gets in to the car legal then consumes enough booze while driving to become drunk.

Then set really stiff penalties for those who circumvent the system and are in fact driving drunk.

Maybe set the interlock for .50 so a person who has consumed some liquor doesn't get in while legal who's BAC continues to rise....

I think I am going to buy one of those hand held devices...to be honest I have no clue what it feels like at .08. Oh...I have been there and higher, probably nightly.....then maybe not...I just wonder how drunk .08 really is...is it at a point I know I am drunk and know I wouldn't drive and opt for a cab.....which I have done before.. or is it so low I really wouldn't consider myself drunk? It isn't much for me to have 2-3 beers with lunch or dinner...or a couple of glasses of wine. If that is legally impaired...well...Houston, we have a problem, because if it is, I need to reassess my driving or drinking habits.

Yep...have been meaning to check this out....I may start looking around and conduct a test....maybe even do it one night on the board....is .08 impaired or is it something way less?

I'll bet it dosen't take much of the moonshine to get over .08. ;)

I'll bet it dosen't take much of the moonshine to get over .08. ;)

No, I'll bet not. ;) Most definitely a beverage to be consumed in moderation at least 3-4 hours before you think of operating a vehicle.

Well, see mine just happened recently so you can understand my anger. My question to you is what if the case is that its the guys eighth DUI. I just really feel like the guy is a waste for one and the system is crap.

Well, if that's the case, then he obviously hasn't learned his lesson.

Archived