THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Like Joe Haden

ClevelandFanForLife

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...h-on-joe-haden/

Report: Browns high on Joe Haden

Posted by Evan Silva on February 8, 2010 12:19 PM ET

According to Terry Pluto of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns find Florida cornerback Joe Haden to be a "very attractive" draft prospect and are expected to make upgrading their secondary a priority this offseason.

The Browns reportedly believe they have just two starting-caliber defensive backs on the roster: left corner Eric Wright and strong safety Abram Elam.

Brandon McDonald and Mike Adams, who both saw starts at right cornerback last year, are considered replaceable. McDonald is a poor tackler, while Adams lacks elite physical attributes.

Incumbent free safety Brodney Pool's NFL future is up in the air due to concussions.

Haden was the best cover corner in all of college football last year and has drawn comparisons to Darrelle Revis because he can tackle and make plays on the ball as well as shut down No. 1 receivers.

The Browns choose No. 7 overall this April.

Looks like the Brown's brass can see that he will be the best player available at number 7. It would be great to see him in orange and brown if Berry is gone.

Looks like the Brown's brass can see that he will be the best player available at number 7. It would be great to see him in orange and brown if Berry is gone.

It would be great to see him in Orange and Brown even if Berry is still on the Board.

I repeat. I do not want Berry.

Lets take a look at the great secondaries across the history of the NFL.

How many great secondaries needed an impact safety (I'm talking Lott, Turner, Reed, Polamalu, et. al.) when they had two great CB's? Even the Browns, when Dixon and Minnefield were in their prime, had good, but not game changing safeties. Toward the end of their career, Turner got added.

How many great secondaries that had impact safeties had two great CB's? I can't think of any. Reed and Polomalu (the two current great safeties) both have maybe one really good CB, but the CB's are largely unknown next to the safety.

The great secondaries of the Raiders, Chiefs and Browns of the 80's didn't have a great Safety, but two great CB's.

We already have Wright, who can be a good shut-down Corner, especially if its against the #2 receiver. He is only really outmatched against the really big and strong receivers.

If Haden is like Revis, then those two will negate the need for a Safety.

But a great safety will still leave a wide open hole at the other CB area.

It would be great to see him in Orange and Brown even if Berry is still on the Board.

I repeat. I do not want Berry.

Lets take a look at the great secondaries across the history of the NFL.

How many great secondaries needed an impact safety (I'm talking Lott, Turner, Reed, Polamalu, et. al.) when they had two great CB's? Even the Browns, when Dixon and Minnefield were in their prime, had good, but not game changing safeties. Toward the end of their career, Turner got added.

How many great secondaries that had impact safeties had two great CB's? I can't think of any. Reed and Polomalu (the two current great safeties) both have maybe one really good CB, but the CB's are largely unknown next to the safety.

The great secondaries of the Raiders, Chiefs and Browns of the 80's didn't have a great Safety, but two great CB's.

We already have Wright, who can be a good shut-down Corner, especially if its against the #2 receiver. He is only really outmatched against the really big and strong receivers.

If Haden is like Revis, then those two will negate the need for a Safety.

But a great safety will still leave a wide open hole at the other CB area.

at the same time though, how many defenses with a great safety had great cbs? none. the steelers cbs are solid but not even close to being great. with polomalu in there ike taylor looks really good. when he's not in, taylor gets burned. a great safety can make good sbs look great. if we somehow got berry, then we may be able to get rolle in the second or third round and he and wright would be solid cbs with a monster like berry helping out behind them.

at the same time though, how many defenses with a great safety had great cbs? none. the steelers cbs are solid but not even close to being great. with polomalu in there ike taylor looks really good. when he's not in, taylor gets burned. a great safety can make good sbs look great. if we somehow got berry, then we may be able to get rolle in the second or third round and he and wright would be solid cbs with a monster like berry helping out behind them.

I'm not sold that Berry is that good.

The Browns are gonna be high on a lot of prospects,they have a lot of holes to fill,they're not going to let the names be known.

If we are looking at a cover corner for our first overall pick we might as well trade down. these guys can be found for less money than spending 7th overall loot on.

Why trade down for 2nd best when you can get the best?? To save money?? I think not.

Why trade down for 2nd best when you can get the best?? To save money?? I think not.

If you can get either a Taylor or a Berry by trading down, it makes since. We need to see what comes out of the combine first.

One thing I dont want to see is another project safety like we had in Poole.

I'm not sold that Berry is that good.

I'm not either. I want a safety to intimidate, & I honestly do not believe that's Berry. I want the shut down corner.

Mike

Just saw this over on ESPN from Mel Kiper

: Do you think it would be better for the Browns to draft Anthony Davis to play RT or Joe Haden to play CB?

-- Justin Sheely (Warren, Ohio)

A: I think the Browns have to take Haden there if he is available, but that's also because of Joe Thomas. It's a value consideration because Anthony Davis we have to project as a LT at the NFL level. In fact, Davis has a chance to be a Pro Bowler at that position, but he's not a finished product. In Haden, I think you have a chance to draft a guy that can be among the top five at his position in the NFL early in his career. All he didn't do at Florida as blitz, but he can cover, he can tackle, and while comparing him to a guy like Darrelle Revis is premature, he has the chance to get there. Games aside, he went up against guys like Percy Harvin, Riley Cooper and Louis Murphy in practice everyday. Draft him and you have a player from day one.

With an endorsement like that, I think Haden has to be one of our top guys on our board.

Just saw this over on ESPN from Mel Kiper

: Do you think it would be better for the Browns to draft Anthony Davis to play RT or Joe Haden to play CB?

-- Justin Sheely (Warren, Ohio)

A: I think the Browns have to take Haden there if he is available, but that's also because of Joe Thomas. It's a value consideration because Anthony Davis we have to project as a LT at the NFL level. In fact, Davis has a chance to be a Pro Bowler at that position, but he's not a finished product. In Haden, I think you have a chance to draft a guy that can be among the top five at his position in the NFL early in his career. All he didn't do at Florida as blitz, but he can cover, he can tackle, and while comparing him to a guy like Darrelle Revis is premature, he has the chance to get there. Games aside, he went up against guys like Percy Harvin, Riley Cooper and Louis Murphy in practice everyday. Draft him and you have a player from day one.

With an endorsement like that, I think Haden has to be one of our top guys on our board.

Agreed, We are in a great spot at #7, Its win win for us, we will have some great choices there and save some money.

Archived