THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Looking at McNabb, Kolb

daydawg19

February 9 th NFL Trade Rumors: Browns Looking at McNabb, Kolb

Written By: Scott | Category: Cleveland Browns | Comments: 29

As the Browns quarterback situation remains in peril, one team that Cleveland will be tied to until the start of this season (and perhaps beyond) is the Philadelphia Eagles. Not only do they have three quarterbacks that could very well be starting in the NFL, but their former general manager Tom Heckert now presides over the same position in Berea while Mike Holmgren’s relationship with Philadelphia head coach Andy Reid is very close. Alas, it comes as little surprise that the latest news out of ESPN lists the Browns as one of three teams that have contacted the Eagles in regard to quarterback availability.

Analysts Adam Schefter and Sal Paolantonio listed Cleveland along with the Buffalo Bills and Denver Broncos. Given the rumors regarding Brady Quinn to the Broncos, it is no surprise that they are involved with those looking to upgrade under center. The biggest question mark remains on the side of the Philadelphia Eagles who have claimed that all three quarterbacks will be a part of their future. Of course, teams do not want to tip their hand as to what they have in store so the Eagles’ public words are expected.

Both Donovan McNabb and Kevin Kolb would be an upgrade over the current state of limbo in which the Browns preside. Holmgren’s uncertainty about Brady Quinn’s future is well-documented and McNabb’s experience within a pass-friendly offense is undoubtedly something that the team’s President would like to have in Cleveland. However, he will be entering his 12th season within the league – remember, he was drafted shortly after Tim Couch – and will not provide much in terms of the future.

Considerably younger, and just as in tune with the passing nature of the Eagles’ offense, is former second-rounder Kevin Kolb. Our friends at No Logo Needed cite a recent piece that claims Kolb would be a first-round draft selection if he were coming out this year due to the weakness in the current draft class. What the Browns have over the other two teams listed above is a higher draft selection. Whether the Eagles would demand a first-round selection for Kolb is unknown, but what Kolb can consistently bring to the field as a starter may be of equal or greater uncertainty.

We continue to assume that Mike Vick will not be in Philadelphia come the 2010 season due to the back-loaded contract that he was signed to roughly one season ago. While some have hinted towards bringing him to Cleveland, his style of play does not exactly match up with the pocket presence types that have been under Holmgren’s tutelage in the past. If Vick were to be moved or released prior to the start of the season, Philadelphia would be less likely to move one of their two more prized possessions without receiving ample reserves in return.

As laid out yesterday, the New Orleans Saints were able to turn around their franchise by adding instant impact players to their roster in areas of dire need. It is widely thought that both McNabb and Kolb would be able to step in on any team and add instant value to the quarterback position. We have touched on the front office opinions of both Sam Bradford and Tim Tebow as they head into the NFL Draft, but neither could be expected to ramp up to the NFL level of play right out of the gate. Fans should expect plenty more rumors regarding the Eagles duo and Cleveland as we head into the mid-April draft.

(image via Associated Press)

You might also like:

NFL Rumor: Tom Heckert in Cleveland for GM Interview

NFL Rumors: Tom Heckert as Browns

Give me one valid reason the Browns as a rebuilding team would bring in an injury prone vet (McNabb) as a two year stopgap. SEE: Vikings, Farve, SB contender. The Cardinals may give up their low first rounder for McNabb, we sure won't give up anything close to that.

Unless Heckert is convinced Kolb is the real deal, that ain't happening either. Rodgers and our second rounder is as high as I'd go.

Give me one valid reason the Browns as a rebuilding team would bring in an injury prone vet (McNabb) as a two year stopgap. SEE: Vikings, Farve, SB contender. The Cardinals may give up their low first rounder for McNabb, we sure won't give up anything close to that.

Unless Heckert is convinced Kolb is the real deal, that ain't happening either. Rodgers and our second rounder is as high as I'd go.

I agree totally about the Rogers and our 2nd rounder but I'm in favor of bringing in McNabb. Even if he just gives us 3 years of quality QB play. Three good years in the least we would get out of him and its likely three more than we would get from either of our current guys or a drafted QB. Although, I would rather see Kolb here as he is younger and looks like he's ready to start in this league; I would be fine with the McNabb "stop-gap" if it means we can take our time with either Quinn, DA, or a draft pick. Hopefully the latter.

Where the hell did us trading Shaun Rogers come into this? Do you not remember he was the only thing we had on defense two years ago and is a force when healthy, something he wasn't this year! If Mangini is that high on Rubin which I dont think he is ala trading for Jenkins in NY then I'd keep Rogers and put him at DE and trade Williams for a bag of footballs!

On Qb's I think both Pike and Lefevour can be had in late rounds(3 through 7)why not draft both? Then instead of giving up the house for Mcnabb or an unproven like Kolb we pick up Jason Campbell or Matt Haselbeck at a much lower price as stop gaps while the young guys learn. I'd bet the farm we'll be seeing one of those two guys in brown and orange before the seasons starts. Also, don't count out Quinn he's young and cheap right now, unless they get an offer they cant refuse he's gonna stay and compete for the starting job!

Anderson and Ratliff however are goners, which is just fine by me..

As I see it the team is on the upswing. It happened late in the season but it happened.

So

Whoever is QB will get the benefit.

I have no idea why the bottom fell out on DA.

But it did.

The simple fact that he had a good season tells me he can play in the right situation.

That said, I have no emotional attachment to the guy and don't care if he goes or stays.

I think BQ probably has the raw materials that need to get polished like just about any QB in the league.

And I'd like to see him work out.

Then again there must be something wrong if neither the Savage Crennel or Mangini administration weren't willing to give him the job outright.

I don't give a flying f*ck about McNabb or Hassleback or any other washed up guy collecting a retirement check.

Nor do I jerk off to Kolb, the saviour of the week.

If he's the hot gun that can take Philly to the show why the hell do they dump him?

WSS

Just remember how good of a QB developer and evaluator Holmgren is. If Quinn can be developed, the Walrus will see to it that it happens. If he cannot, the Holmgren will see this and move on. It's what's called having experience and skill in the front office....let's start enjoying it.

Where the hell did us trading Shaun Rogers come into this?

Well, you are going to have to trade something of value unless we are talking our 1st rounder, and I doubt we do that.

Rogers has value and at least in the past has expressed some dissatisfaction.

Add in Rubyn who has played well on the nose and it becomes a possible scenario.

I don't think anybody has forgotten what Rogers brings, but long term Rogers isn't going to win us a championship, so maybe we need to make some moves to head in that direction.

Ballpeen. I don't get it. If Rub gets hurt or gets malaria, THEN who can slide over and play NT?

You need two guys who can play that position, and Rogers is a mean, butt-kickin machine.

That's hardly addition by subtraction.

The Browns aren't going to be like the Indians, everytime you have a great player, ie, pitchers,

you trade him for projects.

Rogers at DE in the 3-4 sounds great to me. I'll bet there's guys you can nab from a small school,

in the fifth round, who could come in and be an improvement over Williams.

As I see it the team is on the upswing. It happened late in the season but it happened.

So

Whoever is QB will get the benefit.

I have no idea why the bottom fell out on DA.

But it did.

The simple fact that he had a good season tells me he can play in the right situation.

That said, I have no emotional attachment to the guy and don't care if he goes or stays.

I think BQ probably has the raw materials that need to get polished like just about any QB in the league.

And I'd like to see him work out.

Then again there must be something wrong if neither the Savage Crennel or Mangini administration weren't willing to give him the job outright.

I don't give a flying f*ck about McNabb or Hassleback or any other washed up guy collecting a retirement check.

Nor do I jerk off to Kolb, the saviour of the week.

If he's the hot gun that can take Philly to the show why the hell do they dump him?

WSS

I agree about not bringing in some washed up QB just hanging on untill he has no value. But, as far as Kolb is concerned...The Eagles either have to start him this season or trade him now. He is not going to re-sign after this season if he is forced to back-up Mcnabb again. Now may be the only time they can get anything for him, because he will walk next year. If they trade McNabb, Kolb is their guy. But, if they decide to keep McNabb, Kolb very well could be wearing orange and brown next season. Heckert knows it...He helped cause the scenario.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying i want to trade him, but i do know you need 1 QB over 2 nose tackles.

If DA and Quinn aren't seen as a answer by the braintrust, they have to find a qb.

So, that leaves what I posted as a possible way to do so.

Ok, again I repeat. If Kolb is available this cheaply, then he isn't good enough for us to want him.

If he's the answer for us, then he should be at least 2 - 1st round draft picks. And we won't spend that on him.

Ex-Thaak-Ly.

Eagles decide to go with old hurt McNabb and let Kolb walk means they think he sucks.

WSS

ESPN suggests that we do a straight up trade: Rogers for Kolb. I dunno about you, but I would gladly trade away the injury prone and aging Rogers for a possible franchise QB. I mean ya Rogers is a hell of a player, but the end of this season proved that he is not vital to our team's success. If its available, You take it

Ex-Thaak-Ly.

Eagles decide to go with old hurt McNabb and let Kolb walk means they think he sucks.

WSS

Kolb has a career 68.9 QB rating and it has been reported that he hunts wild hogs with a couple of dogs and a 12-inch bowie knife. I'm a little torn here.

I have been on the Kolb bandwagon since last year here's why. Sure he hasn't done much in his career but what he has done which is key, is that he has progressed at a steady pace like a young QB is supposed to. He's smart and accurate. And last year, waaay before Heckert came here, reports out of Philly were saying that he is ready to start. Vick was getting 2nd team reps reportedly because Kolb "was ready". Heckert has a better idea of what Kolb is than almost anybody does so I trust that if he wants to trade for him, then its a good idea. And the concern that if we got him for very little that means he is no good may not be too accurate. Lets not forget how NFL circles work, friends are friends and will do eachother favors. If Philly has McNabb for a few more years and Vick as a backup, they can afford to deal Kolb. They would have another 3-4 years to groom a young QB.

I'm all for getting Kolb. And if it means we have to give up an aging 4-3 type DT and replace him with a cheaper, just as effective younger DT who was coached into a 3-4, then I say pull the trigger. Even if you have to throw in the Jets 3rd round pick, do it.

I agree totally about the Rogers and our 2nd rounder but I'm in favor of bringing in McNabb. Even if he just gives us 3 years of quality QB play. Three good years in the least we would get out of him and its likely three more than we would get from either of our current guys or a drafted QB. Although, I would rather see Kolb here as he is younger and looks like he's ready to start in this league; I would be fine with the McNabb "stop-gap" if it means we can take our time with either Quinn, DA, or a draft pick. Hopefully the latter.

Couple of problems- this team is going to be built for the long haul. Getting 2-3 more years out of McNabb isn't the answer. Is he better than DA, or Quinn? Sure. He's also turns 34 this year, and has a history of injuries. You only bring in a guy like McNabb if you think you're SB bound with him at the controls- ala the Vikings with Farve. And I hate to say if you take off the rose colored glasses, I don't see that happening for the Browns. Add in the Vikes gave up nothing to get Farve. Secondly with Warner retiring, Arizona is a playoff team without a qb- unless you think Leinart will seriously step it up this year. McNabb lives in Arizona. Put two and two together. We'd have to outbid several teams, and I'm not really in the mood to give up picks for a short term solution- that puts us squarely back with a depleted draft just like Savage left us with, and we all know how that turned out.

Finally I only make that trade for Kolb if both Heckert and Holmgren are totally convinced he's THE guy. If not, we may as well roll the dice on a guy like Pike or LeFevour. (BTW, according to a guy I hate to quote- but in this case I think he's right- Mel Kiper has LeFevour rocketing up the draft board- to possibly as high as Buffalo in the second round.)

Couple of problems- this team is going to be built for the long haul. Getting 2-3 more years out of McNabb isn't the answer. Is he better than DA, or Quinn? Sure. He's also turns 34 this year, and has a history of injuries. You only bring in a guy like McNabb if you think you're SB bound with him at the controls- ala the Vikings with Farve. And I hate to say if you take off the rose colored glasses, I don't see that happening for the Browns. Add in the Vikes gave up nothing to get Farve. Secondly with Warner retiring, Arizona is a playoff team without a qb- unless you think Leinart will seriously step it up this year. McNabb lives in Arizona. Put two and two together. We'd have to outbid several teams, and I'm not really in the mood to give up picks for a short term solution- that puts us squarely back with a depleted draft just like Savage left us with, and we all know how that turned out.

Finally I only make that trade for Kolb if both Heckert and Holmgren are totally convinced he's THE guy. If not, we may as well roll the dice on a guy like Pike or LeFevour. (BTW, according to a guy I hate to quote- but in this case I think he's right- Mel Kiper has LeFevour rocketing up the draft board- to possibly as high as Buffalo in the second round.)

The reason McNabb is a great idea is because of how he will help the young QB, perhaps Lefevour or Pike. He would allow the young guy to develope without hurting the team. The Favre and McNabb scenerios are completely different. Favre was brought in with the team knowing full well it was a one year plan, boom or bust. McNabb gives your team at least 3.

Like you said, I'm not even sure we're getting McNabb, this is a hypothetical thread. So I'm not wearing any rose-colored glasses, I'm only going along with the topic. I also said I would rather have Kolb for some of the same reasons you argued against McNabb. If you re-read my post, you'll see that we have actually agreed on this topic from the start. The only difference is that you would rather start a rookie right away instead of having a Pro Bowler handle the offense while the rookie developes.

I don't know if people are even talking about Kolb as a "Frachise" QB.

I think they are talking about him being good QB.

Maybe it is all in definition, but to me at least, there are probably only 6-7 "franchise" qb's in the league.

Peyton would be one, his brother might not.

I don't understand where all this talk of Kolb came from.

He is just as unknown as our current guys and any guy we take in the draft yet we want to trade one of our better D guys or a high pick(s) for him?

It's basically the same story Matt Schaub had. Guy shows promise as a backup, but will never see real playing time.

With Heckert on board, I'd expect us to try to get one of thsoe guys since he knows their capabilite.

Archived