THE BROWNS BOARD

How bout everyone get off Mangini's member...

cdl15

Team News more

Browns bring in Haskell as senior adviser to Holmgren

02/10/2010

Former assistant coach Gil Haskell has been hired to be Browns president Mike Holmgren's senior adviser.

Agent: Stallworth will work out for NFL team Wednesday

02/09/2010

Agent Drew Rosenhaus told the Boston Globe that just-released WR Donte' Stallworth will work out for an NFL team Wednesday and expects to sign somewhere soon.

Stallworth cut by Browns after being reinstated by NFL

02/09/2010

Donte' Stallworth will have the chance to resurrect his NFL career, but it won't happen with the Cleveland Browns.

Commissioner Goodell addresses CBA, other issues facing NFL

02/05/2010

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell spoke Friday at his annual Super Bowl press conference at the media center in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Goodell addressed the league's position in the collective bargaining agreement and fielded questions about head injuries, overtime, extending the regular season and the NFL's possible return to Mexico, among other things.

Commissioner: Stallworth to be reinstated following XLIV

02/05/2010

Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte' Stallworth will be re-instated to play at some point after Sunday's Super Bowl, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said at a news conference Friday. Stallworth was suspended without pay for the 2009 season last August after reaching a plea agreement on a DUI manslaughter charge in Miami.

Browns, Dolphins swap executives Thomas, Aponte

02/01/2010

On Monday, the Cleveland Browns hired Matt Thomas as their vice president of football administration. He replaces Dawn Aponte, who accepted the position of senior vice president of football operations with the Miami Dolphins.

Cribbs feeling hopeful about contract talks with Browns

01/28/2010

Cleveland's Josh Cribbs is feeling more confident that he'll be playing for the Browns next season.

Holmgren wants to avoid QB battle in camp

01/27/2010

New Browns president Mike Holmgren appears to be leaning toward choosing between Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson before the start of training camp.

Hires two

01/27/2010

Browns president Mike Holmgren hired Mark Schiefelbein away from Green Bay as Cleveland's new vice president of football operations. The Browns also hired Kent Johnston as their head strength and conditioning coach.

Browns hire Sandusky as director of player personnel

01/20/2010

New Browns general manager Tom Heckert has hired Jon Sandusky, formerly with him in Philadelphia, as Cleveland's director of player personnel.

With Holmgren on board, Browns fire top exec Keenan

01/16/2010

The Cleveland Browns have fired Mike Keenan, the team's president before Mike Holmgren was hired earlier this month.

This is a list of news from the cleveland browns news events since Mike Holmgen has taken over earlier in the year.

This is a complete restructoring of everything above and beyond the head coachs position. Trust me Mangini is gone after this year barring some kind of miracle reaching the playoffs, ect.

This is something the the Browns have needed to do from day one. Rebuilt from the top down. If anything Eric Mangini has the absolute best chance to be successful in Cleveland. Better than Romeo, Butch, and Chris. But I believe we all know how this is going down. Holmgren cant change everything in one year. So he is using Mangini as a transitional coach this year, warm body as you will. And this one maybe two year free pass that he is getting is a great one too, Holmgren and the newly appointed office guys will be stocking the cupboards for John Gruden or best available in due time. Mangini is the coach and only the coach not the gm not the president simply the coach nothing else. Any player that gets picked up from here on out is not manginis doing, the big boys are pulling the strings now. hey I hope eric can do it but i doubt it.

Look at the facts Holmgren is a straight shooter in football and manginis little smoke and mirrors, shadowgame bullshit isn't going to cut it. Why would MH go with EM when about every position above him has been upgraded. Lerner is paying MH alot of money and why stick with a guy that isn't your guy. If EM doesn't get along with even one of MH office guys you know it can't work.

Ya know I really wouldn't be surprised to see Mangini step down before getting fired from the brown.

I can respect your opinion but what has Mangini done to get fired? And how does Holmgren filling positions that are not currently staffed translate into a good Head Coach getting fired in the near future? Either you work for WKNR or you're Mike Florio's understudy. Look, I can get on board with the idea that if Mangini wets the bed next year, and the front office is all in tact, Holmgren may want to fire Mangini and take over. But to assume that just because he is filling positions that are not currently staffed means he is setting it up to fire Mangini is really reaching. Alot of us on here supported Mangini all the way through. Myself, we could have finished 1-15 and I would have said he's doing the right things with this team. Does it surprise you that some fans, and experts (Holmgren) may be happy about having a good HC in place? Or that it may make Holmgren's job a lot easier to build a Franchise around the HC rather than find one to "fit in" with The Walrus' and his buddies?

I know its a slow time of year for Browns news but this perspective on Mangini should have died the moment he was retained by someone who has been described as a "qualified, intelligent, experienced, credible, football mind". Not to mention, if Holmgren wanted a coaching change, he would have done it in his first year when he is most likely to get a free pass from the fans. Why would he risk having to put together a coaching staff in his 2nd year when he can do it now and take his lumps in year one? Why wouldn't he fire Mangini when every media outlet and half the fans in the city were calling for his head? Why wouldn't he take the easy way out and let him go when his stock was high and Mangini's was low? Because he agrees with every other non-bias fan and media member, Mangini is a really good coach.

Mangini haters and media scum, when we start winning, you are not allowed to enjoy it.

F**K YOU! GO ROOT FOR BUFFALO! - Savage Phil

if the Brown's stumble out the gate this year..... You will see MH replacing EM in a New York minute...MH feels most comfortable on the field with the players and i feel this will be his ultimate role with the retooling Brown's.........Sorry Eric,,,you gave it your best but you must defer to the proven ball coach

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

meh.......i think there was only one sole brave enough to write that MH would keep mangini.....

how'd that work out again?

now were back to talking absolutes.....like anyone has any firm idea about it. i guess many people really are sheep, just consuming the drivel that any columnist with a mouth to feed puts out there.

cdl15

Look at the facts Holmgren is a straight shooter in football and manginis little smoke and mirrors, shadowgame bullshit isn't going to cut it. Why would MH go with EM when about every position above him has been upgraded. Lerner is paying MH alot of money and why stick with a guy that isn't your guy. If EM doesn't get along with even one of MH office guys you know it can't work.

While i agree mangini acted like a douchebag toward fans and the media last season its all water under the bridge now...like you said MH is a straight shooter and he deemed EM worthy of another year furthermore i believe mangini came into his own and started betraying the cloak and dagger image and while he has never been man enuff to publicly proclaim it ,he simply had to much on his plate for a 3 year coach who had always had a GM directing things..i think mangini will prosper under holmgren ,but make no mistake i like you think if mangini has a problem with one of MHs staff or tries to run the big show while not heeding advise and fails he will be a goner by the bye week..i really think mangini is now a sincere team player and welcomes the extra help we should see good things developing next year...;)

My biggest question would be, how long does daboll have to 'get it"?

I consider daboll the staffs weak link and the first in MHs line of fire should our offense implode again...lets hope he is as bright as mangini says because all i seen is a dunce acting as mangini's puppet last year ,not a real OC..

mh has shown that he won't tolerate counter productive actions or behavior from anyone when he shipped dawn aponte out of browns town. her "take it or leave it cribbs" attitude didn't go over well with mh.

if mangini can be a team guy and lead the browns to success on the field, he will be the browns coach for years to come.

I think it is kind of ironic MH brought in his long time Offensive Coordinator to be a "Special Advisor"...If (when) Daboll fails miserably again our OC in waiting is already on the staff with a first hand knowledge of the players and their abilities.

I think this is one more excellent move by MH and goes to show he isn't messing around when he says he won't tolerate mediocrity and wants to bring a championship to Cleveland. I'm becoming more of a fan of MH by the day with all the moves he has made so far, good things are finally coming for Cleveland.

Firstly both Haskell and Holmgren are in there 60's. what makes you think either want to go back to the grind of being an NFL coach, because it is beyond a grind..There making big bucks without the 16 hour work days.Holmgren obviously liked what he heard and saw from Mangini and his staff or it would have been the door for all.Didn't happen haters did it. There are a lot of intelligent people on this board who believe the right head coach works in Berea and his name is ERIC MANGINI..be a fan instead of a bunch of whiney asses who can't admit there wrong when clearly you all are..Come..Come over to the good side and out of the dark side..lol

Mangini is the best coach we've had since Smarty and could turn out better. Belichick wasn't ready and Mangie already has his Belichick learning curve out of the way in NY.

Deal with it haters, he is here to stay.

why is it that any one who dares criticize mangini (and i'm not talking about the media witch hunt crap) or says he has to prove himself is automatically a mangini hater? no disrespect intended, but some fans have let that 4 game winning streak at the end of the season turn you into blind mangini homers.

some of the posts since the end of the season have been absolutely mind blowing. i've seen every homerish post imaginable, from mangini hand picked all of the good players in ny (as if the jets didn't have a gm or scouts) to justifications of why mangini flip flopped qbs (mh doesn't agree with flip flopping qbs).

it's like mangini is perfect now, he's the coach of the future and it's already written in stone. i don't hate him either, i want him to succeed and i'm sick of starting over to, but don't tell me he's automatically here and his job is secure for years to come. he has to show he can be a team player and consistently lead this team to success as a head coach. there are no givens or guarantees here, life doesn't work like that.

Mangie deserves the backing of the organization and fans. He won two out of the three years he was with the Jets and was a huge reason they are where they are now. He has gotten his on the job training out of the way much like Belichick did here but with a winning record. He inherited an absolute mess of a situation here, gutted it and has formed a foundation to build on the right way.

He spent most of last season (preseason on) trying to figure out who could play and would buy into the system. The success at the end of the year was due to the team playing hard and coming together---the core is being built. He is a system guy that believes in his system and apparently so do the non prima donna players. He has given every indication that this thing can be built the right way. Our offensive line was mauling people last year when they came together, so completing it with a good RT makes it possibly the league's best unit. They should be able to run the ball on anybody and did without a QB being effective the last 5 games. A few more pieces and there is no reason to believe they can't continue this trend and success. Team's were loading up the box with 9 and 10 guys and couldn't stop the run.

The defense came alive and schemed their way to being a pretty solid unit at the end of the year. The fact they finished in the top ten in sacks blows my mind. Adding a guy like Haden will instantly upgrade this unit and that won't be the only changes. The special teams are the best in the league because of a lot of the no names he brought in here like Costanzo. Their penalties and discipline were drastically better and we have a much better character base in our locker room. The writing is on the wall that this guy knows how to build a team and get them to play for him. He is no nonsense but more emotional than people give him credit for, and I like how he gets pissed from time to time at bullshit calls or bad decisions by his coordinators.

This is what is called "doing things the right way". He spent the majority of last season just trying to see who could cut it, so there was no semblance of continuity until later in the year and that was done with some major injuries. He knows who and what will work in his system and a lot of the time it is their work ethic that is the key. Mangie is everything you want in a football coach and the guy actually is a funny sumbitch at times if you listen to him. I highly doubt his ego is going to butt heads with Heckert or Holmgren, he said it himself he would prefer to coach rather than worry about murals and uniforms. There is no doubt in my mind he will have a major say so in philosophy, scheme and player personnel. They have all collectively said this.

I think we need to lean toward appreciating what could be the next great head coach in the league. Call it homerish, but this is way different than praying RAC 'n ROLLS would be the answer, we've already seen many "real" coaching things this guy has done. He is an attention to detail guy who makes his players work, but as has been proven many do trust the guy and buy into his approach. The media doesn't know shit about this guy. WKNR are an embarrassment with their across the board hatred of him and the national pundits just spew horsecrap cuz that's what they do, they are sheep.

I could not be happier with the situation we are in right now and the coach we have. I expect to win this year, too. Even if we don't, the foundation will still be built on more which is what we need. I do think we can win if they go for it, but we have to be careful to do this the right way. An aging FA here and there is okay but we don't want to try to buy a championship or even contender. I would like to see McNabb brought in here though, but without breaking the bank.

Mangie deserves the backing of the organization and fans. He won two out of the three years he was with the Jets and was a huge reason they are where they are now. He has gotten his on the job training out of the way much like Belichick did here but with a winning record. He inherited an absolute mess of a situation here, gutted it and has formed a foundation to build on the right way.

He spent most of last season (preseason on) trying to figure out who could play and would buy into the system. The success at the end of the year was due to the team playing hard and coming together---the core is being built. He is a system guy that believes in his system and apparently so do the non prima donna players. He has given every indication that this thing can be built the right way. Our offensive line was mauling people last year when they came together, so completing it with a good RT makes it possibly the league's best unit. They should be able to run the ball on anybody and did without a QB being effective the last 5 games. A few more pieces and there is no reason to believe they can't continue this trend and success. Team's were loading up the box with 9 and 10 guys and couldn't stop the run.

The defense came alive and schemed their way to being a pretty solid unit at the end of the year. The fact they finished in the top ten in sacks blows my mind. Adding a guy like Haden will instantly upgrade this unit and that won't be the only changes. The special teams are the best in the league because of a lot of the no names he brought in here like Costanzo. Their penalties and discipline were drastically better and we have a much better character base in our locker room. The writing is on the wall that this guy knows how to build a team and get them to play for him. He is no nonsense but more emotional than people give him credit for, and I like how he gets pissed from time to time at bullshit calls or bad decisions by his coordinators.

This is what is called "doing things the right way". He spent the majority of last season just trying to see who could cut it, so there was no semblance of continuity until later in the year and that was done with some major injuries. He knows who and what will work in his system and a lot of the time it is their work ethic that is the key. Mangie is everything you want in a football coach and the guy actually is a funny sumbitch at times if you listen to him. I highly doubt his ego is going to butt heads with Heckert or Holmgren, he said it himself he would prefer to coach rather than worry about murals and uniforms. There is no doubt in my mind he will have a major say so in philosophy, scheme and player personnel. They have all collectively said this.

I think we need to lean toward appreciating what could be the next great head coach in the league. Call it homerish, but this is way different than praying RAC 'n ROLLS would be the answer, we've already seen many "real" coaching things this guy has done. He is an attention to detail guy who makes his players work, but as has been proven many do trust the guy and buy into his approach. The media doesn't know shit about this guy. WKNR are an embarrassment with their across the board hatred of him and the national pundits just spew horsecrap cuz that's what they do, they are sheep.

I could not be happier with the situation we are in right now and the coach we have. I expect to win this year, too. Even if we don't, the foundation will still be built on more which is what we need. I do think we can win if they go for it, but we have to be careful to do this the right way. An aging FA here and there is okay but we don't want to try to buy a championship or even contender. I would like to see McNabb brought in here though, but without breaking the bank.

Post of the year. :)

I disagree. If Holmgren wanted Mangini gone, he would already be gone. He doesn't appear to be the kind of guy to let bullshit happen. Mangini is safe unless the team does really bad this year. Long post for nothing.

Very good point Diehard and 2 thumbs up for another classic icon under the screen name! If you're a brand new CEO coming in anywhere in Corporate America, the frst thing you want to know is what the hell went on the last quarter under the previous Middle Management (Eric Mangini). Let's analyze: 4 wins 0 losses. Okay.

Let's get bi-lingual and insert the word HOW? With just 5 draft picks from 2008 and only 4 draft picks heading into 2009 - where are we expecting an undefeated season? And better yet HOW? Let's add some reality now - the PREVIOUS regime left us crapy QBs, a Kellen Winslow wanting anywhere but Cleveland, Braylon Edwards wanting out, Donte Stallworth spending his signing bonus on Tequilla and driving afterward. These aren't exactly team FIRST guys we were left with. And did I mention how wonderfully Shaun Smith was to work with around the younger guys? All additions by subtraction. If I'm Holmgren representing the Upper-management - I gotta be pretty happy about the head start Mangini provided on turning over the roster for COACHABLE players and high character guys.

What Mangini DID do was get a bunch of young players coached up into believing in themselves as opposed to what the media wanted fans thinking of Mangini and what personnel he was looking to. That was made possible by HIRING coaches like Rob Ryan (DC), Bryan Cox (Dline), Gary Brown (RBs), Brad Seely (STs), George Warhop (Oline) and others. These are the guys that got the younger players believing in themselves as well as their system - especially after Jamal Lewis, Shaun Rogers and D'Qwell Jackson got injured. I've always said there's an intriguing quality about a player with something to prove. I've got some examples: Athyba Rubin, Evan Moore, Marcus Benard, Juson Trusnick and Kuluka Maiava. If those examples sucked - what about (DB) Mike Adams or (NT) Brian Schaeferling?

In addition, when we had to move David Bowens from outside to ILBer he became EVERYTHING I wanted D'Qwell Jackson to be which was instinctive and making most of his plays at the line of scrimmage or behind it. I thought he was quietly our best player that got a fraction of the love D'Qwell Jackson gets for his Wali Rainer imitation. I'll take getting off the field in 4-6 plays over counting a bunch of ankle lassos downfield. I HOPE they don't just hand Jackson the inside back without considering how much more effective he could be at handling duties on the outside (involving one-third of the field). Another strong veteran that Mangini found looking for work WITH something to prove is Matt Roth. That dude was sacking everything in sight.

Aside from the already mentioned variables, what about a guy like Wimbley returning to the form that impressed us when he was a rookie? How about Corey Williams looking like somebody explained the 3-4 in English to him in 09? What about STs getting better in the absence of the starting place kicker and punter for considerable portions of 09? Have you ever seen our punt coverage units pinning more opponents inside their 15 yard line? And just when you thought Cribbs couldn't get any better - did he get better in 2009? I KNOW alot of people didn't like Daboll, especially those refusing to believe Quinn had anythign do do with being off target. That said, in the 2nd half of the season (and in spite of 8-9 new starters) how often did our offense start off with 1st and 15 or 1st and 20? That's called PROGRESS, while the Brady Quinn fans refer to it as CONGRESS. Anyone that can win in SPITE of Quinn (and DA for that matter) might be worth leapfrogging a premature conclusion for a 2nd chance. Let's get real - Daboll wasn't exactly handed a wonderful deck of cards when the only remaining starters from 2008 are Vickers, Steinbach and Joe Thomas. I think chemistry and continuity is a little more important to success than some may believe. Keep in mind, a player like Alex Mack improved considerably as the season went on as the need to explore mixing and matching to his right continued. We pretty much ran the ball at will on our last 4 opponents that clearly understood the only way we could move the ball was to run it at all 11 guys expecting run. Pretty tough to sum that up as incompetant OC holding back the perfect QB. There's alot of QBs in this league that can complete more than 30% of their passes when their oline is busting tail like that. They just aren't employed by the Browns yet.

As 2008 closed with Opie and RAC walking the plank - I was very worried about our LBer situation. TODAY, I couldn't be happier to see a REAL ILBer like Bowens giving our corps the backbone it needs. Roth on the outside gave us some fond memories down the strecth folks. Wimbley has his best season since being a wide eyed rookie. Trusnik and the undrafted Marcus Benard were pleasant surprises and Maiava impressed me at times for being a rookie. When Jackson returns to the mix - you almost have to wonder what's in store for David Veikune because Blake Costanzo was rock solid on STs and could provide dual purpose if emergency warranted it. I'm very relieved we don't need to make LBer priority #1 after the ignorance and neglect Opie left it with. This 1 position might have been Mangini's best Hocus Pocus act of all with slight of hand considering how many of those names I mentioned were brand spanking new to Cleveland.

I sincerely hope we find playmakers on both sides of the ball this offseason - that includes a REAL QB. It would be nice to get a guy in the secondary that has the closing speed to create scoreboard seperation like you saw on Superbowl Sunday. As we overanalyze the arm strength of top QB prospects, Peyton Manning AND Brett Favre don't have WEAK arms folks - they just ran into the RIGHT opponent that could change the comfort of stepping up in the pocket and altering the mechanics of the throw. When you do such a thing - it's nice to have that DB with great closing speed to seal the deal. I'd be okay with Haden or Spiller in round 1; but I'd also understand the QB our braintrust would feel best about (considering our altertnatives at the moment).

- Tom F.

Archived