THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs contract update

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...owns_jos_1.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio --The agent for Josh Cribbs said today that he's having "very positive exchanges'' with the Browns regarding Cribbs' contract extension, but that he had no timetable for when a deal might be done.

"This is the most positive dialogue we've had since we've been doing this over the past three years with the Browns,'' said agent J.R. Rickert. "We're exchanging numbers and there's no telling what the timetable will be, but when we can bridge all of the existing gaps, we'll have this done.''

Rickert said he didn't think any of "the gaps are insurmountable'' and that he and Cribbs are very optimistic that a deal will get done. Cribbs, who's under contract through 2012, has said he thought a deal could be in place by the NFL Combine on Feb. 24, but Rickert declined to put a date on it.

Rickert said he's working closely with Browns general manager Tom Heckert and new vice president of football operations Matt Thomas on the deal and "it's the most professional dialogue'' he's had with the Browns.

CLEVELAND, Ohio --The agent for Josh Cribbs said today that he's having "very positive exchanges'' with the Browns regarding Cribbs' contract extension, but that he had no timetable for when a deal might be done.

"This is the most positive dialogue we've had since we've been doing this over the past three years with the Browns,'' said agent J.R. Rickert. "We're exchanging numbers and there's no telling what the timetable will be, but when we can bridge all of the existing gaps, we'll have this done.''

Rickert said he didn't think any of "the gaps are insurmountable'' and that he and Cribbs are very optimistic that a deal will get done. Cribbs, who's under contract through 2012, has said he thought a deal could be in place by the NFL Combine on Feb. 24, but Rickert declined to put a date on it.

Rickert said he's working closely with Browns general manager Tom Heckert and new vice president of football operations Matt Thomas on the deal and "it's the most professional dialogue'' he's had with the Browns.

Nice to hear that the word professional is still known around the Browns' upper management.

And glad to hear that Cribbs is going to be in Cleveland for awhile.

See i told everyone, new management in place and now cribbs can talk contract. and quit acting like a B1tch.

What he did was very rude and bitch like jumping holmgrens shit before he can set his briefcase down. And MH even offered to double his salary. Double it

If a new Boss offered me double what i make now he'd be my new best friend

I went to a restaurant before the Cavs vs Magic game last thursday and Cribbs was there. He was doing a promotional deal for his charity "my hood". They served "pay the man ale" and all proceeds went towards his charity. He got on stage and said a few words then signed autographs. He said at least 5 times Cleveland has the greatest fans in the NFL and that is 99% of the reason he wants to stay here and play for this city. He seemed very genuine too...good guy, good cause. Pay the man!

Regretfully I couldn't get his autograph or else I was going to be late for the game (which was amazing, btw) MVP! MVP!

Cleveland Browns' Josh Cribbs could have new deal by end of next week

By Mary Kay Cabot

February 19, 2010, 3:07PM

Tracy Boulian, The PDJosh Cribbs could have a new deal in place by the end of next week. CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns receiver Joshua Cribbs could have a new deal by the end of next week, a league source said today.

The Browns and Cribbs' representatives have essentially agreed to a restructuring of his remaining three years instead of the extension that Cribbs' camp was originally seeking.

But there's still a possibility the Browns will agree to a club option for a fourth and or fifth year.

Although the two sides have pretty much agreed on the length, they're still not close on a number of key issues, including guaranteed money and escalators.

Cribbs is seeking about $10 million guaranteed, while the Browns are offering about $5 million in "likely'' guaranteed money. The escalators are tied to performance, such as number of catches, yards, touchdowns and Pro Bowls.

Cribbs, a two-time Pro Bowler, is currently under contract through 2012 at a little more than $1 million a year. He's seeking closer to $4 million to $5 million a season. The Browns have also said they'd like to increase his role on offense in 2010.

LINK

Looks like a deal is imminent. Not an extension but a restructured remaining 3 years.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...r_josh_cri.html

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- The agents for receiver Josh Cribbs will meet with the Browns in Indianapolis beginning Thursday night in hopes of hammering out the new deal by the end of the week, a league source said.

The two sides have moved closer on a number of key issues and are optimistic the gap can closed as early as Sunday, the source said.

The parties have agreed to restructure the remaining three years of Cribbs' deal instead of extending it, although a club option for a fourth or fifth year has been on the table.

Cribbs has been seeking $10 million guaranteed, twice as much as the Browns proposed. The two sides will also try to bridge the gap on the performance incentives in the deal. Last week, a source said it could be done by the end of this week, and it appears they're still on pace for that

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -- The agents for receiver Josh Cribbs will meet with the Browns in Indianapolis beginning Thursday night in hopes of hammering out the new deal by the end of the week, a league source said.

The two sides have moved closer on a number of key issues and are optimistic the gap can closed as early as Sunday, the source said.

The parties have agreed to restructure the remaining three years of Cribbs' deal instead of extending it, although a club option for a fourth or fifth year has been on the table.

Cribbs has been seeking $10 million guaranteed, twice as much as the Browns proposed. The two sides will also try to bridge the gap on the performance incentives in the deal. Last week, a source said it could be done by the end of this week, and it appears they're still on pace for that.

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. --

Cribbs has been seeking $10 million guaranteed, twice as much as the Browns proposed. The two sides will also try to bridge the gap on the performance incentives in the deal. Last week, a source said it could be done by the end of this week, and it appears they're still on pace for that.

I love Cribbs as much as the next guy but am I the only one who thinks that 4 - 5 million dollars a year is to much to pay for a guy who hasn't yet proven that he can do anything except return kicks and run the WildDawg? I also thought Devin Hester got way to much money.

I love Cribbs as much as the next guy but am I the only one who thinks that 4 - 5 million dollars a year is to much to pay for a guy who hasn't yet proven that he can do anything except return kicks and run the WildDawg? I also thought Devin Hester got way to much money.

I agree, and why he needs a expanded role.

I think it is safe to say receiver really isn't his calling.

The guy is more a running back and qb....get a viable package installed that makes him a true dual threat QB....get some run option pass plays involved. You can't always run him even though it works because you even up the blocking...

Get a 30 play package and see what happens.

I hope Cribbs retires as a Brown and I fully agree with you.

However I'm willing to bet that his contract will be incentive laden and he'll have to produce in order to get the full amount of $ he is asking for.

for a guy who hasn't yet proven that he can do anything except return kicks and run the WildDawg?

OK, he doesn't just return kicks ... he is the best kick returner in NFL History.

Best Ever.

381 yards and 6.9 per carry out of the WildDawg last year ... which was very effective in our four game win stretch.

And he's also a Pro Bowl kick coverage guy.

He's the star of the punt return team, the kick return team, the kick coverage team, the punt coverage team and one of our true offensive weapons as a WildDawg.

Eric Steinbach, Derek Anderson, Jamal Lewis and Corey Williams all made more than $4million last year, I venture to say Cribbs is more valuable than any of them.

Zombo

OK, he doesn't just return kicks ... he is the best kick returner in NFL History.

Best Ever.

381 yards and 6.9 per carry out of the WildDawg last year ... which was very effective in our four game win stretch.

And he's also a Pro Bowl kick coverage guy.

He's the star of the punt return team, the kick return team, the kick coverage team, the punt coverage team and one of our true offensive weapons as a WildDawg.

Eric Steinbach, Derek Anderson, Jamal Lewis and Corey Williams all made more than $4million last year, I venture to say Cribbs is more valuable than any of them.

Zombo

Good old Zombo! Lol. Good post. Thank you for calling that to our attention. But we also have players that are as valuable or more valuable who made less then $4 million, Jerome Harrison, Alex Mack, Wimbley, Joe Thomas, Phil Dawson, Dave, Zastudil, etc......

Good old Zombo! Lol. Good post. Thank you for calling that to our attention. But we also have players that are as valuable or more valuable who made less then $4 million, Jerome Harrison, Alex Mack, Wimbley, Joe Thomas, Phil Dawson, Dave, Zastudil, etc......

Alex Mack is a rookie, and got a rookie Center salary.

Kam Wimbley has been mostly a non-factor, so he doesn't deserve to earn $4 million.

I can agree about Joe Thomas, he should get a larger contract.

Jerome Harrison wasn't valuable at all until this year. His contract will change.

And you're really mentioning both Philly D and Dave Zastudil when they proved they could easily be replaced this year? Just so everyone knows- I was, and am still, on the Billy Cundiff train. He's a fantastic kicker. Sad he went to the Ratbirds. And Reggie Hodges proved that Zastudil is expendable.

We're talking about punters?

B-57 has a punter ranked ahead of Josh Cribbs in value??

Cribbs has been in the league 5 years and has returned more kicks for TDs than anyone in the 90-year history of the league.

I REPEAT

Cribbs has returned more kicks for TDs in five years than anyone else has in the history of the NFL.

He's a GAMEBREAKER. And our best coverage guy. And an excellent WildDawg QB/RB.

I must admonish B-57 for comparing Zastudil (and Dawson, etc.) to Cribbs, but at the same time I must also admonish Couch for comparing Zasudil with Reggie Hodges.

Zastudil is a very good punter. Reggie Hodges sucks.

Zombo

Cribbs has been in the league 5 years and has returned more kicks for TDs than anyone in the 90-year history of the league.

I REPEAT

Cribbs has returned more kicks for TDs in five years than anyone else has in the history of the NFL.

I must admonish B-57 for comparing Zastudil (and Dawson, etc.) to Cribbs, but at the same time I must also admonish Couch for comparing Zasudil with Reggie Hodges.

Zombo

. I was at the Baltimore game early in the season and watched Zastudil punt for us. That, to me, was probably his best game in his career as far as coffin cornering goes. I don't know the stats because I'm too drunk to actually look them up, but it seemed like every punt he had was within the 10 yard line, with most within the 5. It was then that I started proclaiming Dave Zastudil the best player on our team.

But then he got injured and Reggie Hodges came in. I thought Hodges sucked, and was royally pissed, but then I watched him finish the season for us. The man had some pretty good games. Granted, Zastudil is still much better, but Hodges had plenty of kicks that pinned the opponents within their 15. Zastudil has a much larger leg, and his punts are more fun to watch if only because they seem to be in the air for damn ever. But if Zastudil were released for some reason, I wouldn't mind Hodges filling in for him. He was much better than Scott Player was when he filled in for us, at least. And let's not forget that Hodges is a Mangini guy, and probably helped push the "system".

All in all, I'd rather have Zastudil no doubt. But if he were to leave for some reason, Hodges is definitely passable in my book.

Plus, I just found out he's one of the few African-American punters in the NFL. I should probably start looking up pictures of our players. I'm pretty sure I thought Rex Hadnot was a white guy for at least 3 years. I suck.

I REPEAT

Zombo

Ok so are you saying that someone who scores points occasionally. (Cribbs) But can do it on a single play!= and cause excitement is more important? I agree that Zastudil is a great punter. A pro bowler a year or two ago if I'm not mistaken. He routinely pins teams deep and that is a big deal. It affects the play calling and makes it easier for our D to get a three and out. With as much time as they spend on the field, that is critical. And as for Dawson, he has been a very reliable kicker for us, and single handedly (Like Cribbs has done) won a game for us (in Buffalo) this year. He also scores in almost every game. And who can forget some of the great kicks he has made over the years. Now I do not think that either of these players deserve 4-5 mil. But I do think that this is a team game and I would argue that either of these players is just as valuable as Cribbs. Maybe not as exciting or flashy but just as valuable but of course in a different way.

And I will disagree also with the previous poster who dared to compare the Hodges to Zastudil, or Cundiff to Dawson! Just terrible.

Ok so are you saying that someone who scores points occasionally. (Cribbs) But can do it on a single play!= and cause excitement is more important? I agree that Zastudil is a great punter. A pro bowler a year or two ago if I'm not mistaken. He routinely pins teams deep and that is a big deal. It affects the play calling and makes it easier for our D to get a three and out. With as much time as they spend on the field, that is critical. And as for Dawson, he has been a very reliable kicker for us, and single handedly (Like Cribbs has done) won a game for us (in Buffalo) this year. He also scores in almost every game. And who can forget some of the great kicks he has made over the years. Now I do not think that either of these players deserve 4-5 mil. But I do think that this is a team game and I would argue that either of these players is just as valuable as Cribbs. Maybe not as exciting or flashy but just as valuable but of course in a different way.

And I will disagree also with the previous poster who dared to compare the Hodges to Zastudil, or Cundiff to Dawson! Just terrible.

OK, but you can replace Dawson with another kicker, maybe he misses two more field goals than Dawson? 6 points.

There are no other Josh Cribbs.

Let's put aside the Pro Bowl coverage man and the 6+ yards per carry WildDawg QB for a minute and just look at his worth as a returner:

The average NFL kick return is 22 yards. Josh Cribbs averages 27.5 per return.

So he is worth an extra 5.5 yards of field postion per return. He returned 56 kickoffs last year so that is an extra 308 yards of field position.

The average NFL punt return was 7.9 yards, Cribbs averaged 11.9 per return.

So he is worth an 4 yards of field postion per return. he returned 38 punts last year so that is an extra 152 yards of field position.

So that is an extra 460 yards on the season.

Let's say the average NFL TD drive is 60 yards? Then his 460 yards would be worth 9 TDS ... or 54 points.

So replace Phil Dawson with an average kicker and lose 6 or 9 points? Or replace Cribbs with an average kick returner and lose 4TDs and 460 extra yards of field position?

And yes, there is a big difference between a single play score and another score ... and not because it is flashy.

A 100 yard kick return replaces an entire 80 yard offenive drive in one play. Do you know hard it is to drive the length of the field? And then someone scores from three yards out and gets a TD. Cribbs returns a KO for a TD and it replaces an entire 80 yard drive: 40 yards of passing, 40 yards of rushing, several first downs, several completions, and a TD.

The Kickoff return for the TD is a HUGE game-changing play. Not because it is flashy, but because it gives your team a huge boost and generates an entire TD drive where there was nothing.

Poor Tampa Bay waited 32 seasons and 1865 returns to get one of tyhose TDs ... Cribbs has given us 8 in five years ... plus two on punt returns ... and 400-500 extra yards of field postion a year.

And that's less than half of what he does for us. Because he is just as good a kick coverage guy as he is a returner, plus handles the WildDawg beautifully.

Phil Dawson doesn't run the ball, doesn't catch the ball, doesn't tackle anybody, doesn't return kicks for TDs ... he kicks field goals. And when he is injured you aget a Billy Cundiff off the street that can do it nearly as well. there is no way in hell is asvaluable to the team as Cribbs.

Zombo

Kickers are kickers..the difference between the best kicker and the worst kicker is a pretty small margin. We saw that this year when Dawson went down and Cundiff came in and other than the number on the jersey, no one would've known the difference between the two.

Kickers are kickers..the difference between the best kicker and the worst kicker is a pretty small margin. We saw that this year when Dawson went down and Cundiff came in and other than the number on the jersey, no one would've known the difference between the two.
i don't think that's totally accurate Mark. Cundiff kicked when the coaches thought he could make it.

Dawson actually has the ability to change the gameplan. he brings additional options, at least when playing at home.

i always feel less anxiety with phil kicking, especially in inclement weather. that said, its not hard to find someone with a willing and capable leg.

that's what the Ravens thought...and Stover ended up playing in the Super Bowl. and i disagree they'd be as capable as Dawson at his best.

fwiw i think the Ravens snagged up Cundiff after Phil returned.

Archived