THE BROWNS BOARD

Cribbs contract update

SJ_Browns

that's what the Ravens thought...and Stover ended up playing in the Super Bowl. and i disagree they'd be as capable as Dawson at his best.

fwiw i think the Ravens snagged up Cundiff after Phil returned.

Any kicker on their roster would have played in the superbowl.

WSS

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._josh_crib.html

CLEVELAND --The Browns and agents for receiver Josh Cribbs have agreed on everything but the guaranteed money in his new deal, a league source told The Plain Dealer on Tuesday.

If Browns President Mike Holmgren agrees to the latest proposal from Cribbs' agents on the guarantee, the deal will be done. If not, it will be up to Cribbs to decide if he wants to accept the Browns' current offer, or walk away from the deal, the source said.

Cribbs has been seeking $10 million guaranteed over the next three seasons, and the Browns have been offering $5 million guaranteed. The new proposal is likely somewhere in between. All of the other bonuses and escalators are set.

They're also at odds over how and when to pay out the guaranteed money. But Cribbs could exceed the maximum value of Devin Hester's recent extension if he hits all of his performance incentives and escalators. Hester, of the Bears, signed a four-year extension in 2008 worth $40 million, including $15 million guaranteed. Other top players with similar roles are making $3 million to $5.5 million a year, including Houston's Andre Davis ($4.3 million) and Buffalo's Roscoe Parris ($3 million).

Cribbs' deal would be a restructuring of his remaining three years, which are worth just over $1 million a year. The Browns have recently said they plan to expand Cribbs' role on offense.

Over the past three seasons, Cribbs he has more all-purpose yards than any other player in the NFL, with the top five stacking up this way: Cribbs -- 6,345, San Diego's Darren Sproles -- 6,052, Minnesota's Adrian Peterson -- 5,741, Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew -- 5,639, and Miami's Ted Ginn Jr. -- 5,486.

Looks like it's done: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...cribbs_t_1.html

Cleveland Browns' Josh Cribbs to hold press conference, most likely to announce new deal

By Mary Kay Cabot

March 03, 2010, 4:39PM

Joshua Gunter/ The PD

Josh Cribbs has scheduled his own press conference for Friday at the Cleveland Auto Show.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns kick returner/wide receiver Josh Cribbs will hold a press conference Friday at 5 p.m, most likely to announce his new deal with the Browns.

The press conference will be held in conjunction with his previously scheduled appearance the the 2010 Cleveland Auto Show at the I-X Center.

Cribbs' representatives announced the press conference in a release, but did not disclose what the news would be. He is scheduled to sign autographs at the show from 6-8 p.m. at the Hyundai display.

“It’s not very often that fans get to hear an announcement from a player in person. And, it’s even more unlikely that they’re given a chance to speak to that player right after that announcement has been made," Cribbs said in a statement.

“That’s why I’m choosing to have this press conference at the auto show. So that anyone in attendance will have the opportunity to hear what I have to say and the chance to speak with me about it in person.”

A Browns spokesman said they were not aware of the press conference.

A league source told The Plain Dealer on Tuesday that Cribbs and the Browns were very close to completing the new deal, with only the guaranteed money still to be determined. Cribbs had been seeking $10 million over the next three seasons and the Browns have been offering $5 million guaranteed.

Cribbs' new deal would be a restructuring of his remaining three years, which are worth just over $1 million a year.

Cribbs' agent, J.R. Rickert, wouldn't say Wednesday if a deal had been completed.

And I will disagree also with the previous poster who dared to compare the Hodges to Zastudil, or Cundiff to Dawson! Just terrible.

Dawson doesn't have the leg he used to, and Zastudil is replaceable. Dawson and Zastudil are still better than Hodges and Cundiff, but the margin isn't as large as you might want to believe it is.

Dawson doesn't have the leg he used to, and Zastudil is replaceable. Dawson and Zastudil are still better than Hodges and Cundiff, but the margin isn't as large as you might want to believe it is.

not to take this further in the kicker direction, but according to Dawson himself his leg is the strongest it's ever been. based upon his improved 50 yard field goal success and his kickoffs i tend to agree.

Phil Dawson has been a model Brown. i hope he retires one.

oh, and that's great news about Cribbs.

Any kicker on their roster would have played in the superbowl.

WSS

that was just Flugel-speak. after releasing Stover the Ravens quickly learned that the grass isn't always greener as they scrambled all year for competency at the position. their 40 year old cast-off was still good enough to compete at the highest levels. in other words if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

you think he coasted there in the Colts shoulders?

if so i disagree and believe Stover did his part to help get the Colts there.

Archived