THE BROWNS BOARD

Jaguars Release Torry Holt

Tim Couch Pulls Out

Jags release trio of veterans

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars have released receiver Torry Holt, left tackle Tra Thomas and defensive tackle Rob Meier.

The moves had been expected because coach Jack Del Rio already told the three aging veterans they would not be part of the team's rebuilding process.

Holt, a seven-time Pro Bowl selection with St. Louis, caught 51 passes for 722 yards with the Jaguars last season. He has 920 career receptions for 13,382 yards and 74 touchdowns.

Thomas, a three-time Pro Bowler with Philadelphia, started three games for the Jaguars last season.

Meier, a 10-year veteran who spent last season on injured reserve, has 307 career tackles and ranks ninth in team history with 21 1/2 sacks.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Could Torry Holt be a viable WR option in Free Agency? His production has seriously declined these last two years and he's definitely not getting any younger, but he also could be the veteran mentor that our young WR corps needs. I know that's what Mike Furrey is for, and I do respect the hell out of him. But Torry Holt's list of accolades is kind of hard to pass over. He's a 7- time Pro Bowler, 2- time All-Pro Selection, 2-time St. Louis MVP, Super Bowl Champion and a member of the NFL All-Decade Team. Over the last two seasons combined, he's gotten about 1500 yards and only 3 TDs. But he's shown that he can be extremely productive when he's got a QB that can get the ball to him. I also believe that he can come pretty cheap, seeing as how he's on the tail end of his career. I think his biggest asset to us will be his knowledge, though. He's credited with taking Mike Sims-Walker under his wing and showing him the ropes, and Sims-Walker has exploded onto the scene as of late. If Holt could do that with MoMass, would it be worth it?

What do you guys think?

EDIT: An interesting sidenote: Torry Holt has won the Pro Bowl Challenge "Best Hands" every year that he's been in it.

Great ... let's get Torry Holt, McNabb, & Ricky Williams, errr, now.

After removing that stick from your ass, look around a little. I'm sure you'll find that I haven't endorsed bringing in any washed-up veterans. Thanks for lumping me in with everyone else, though. It's a pleasure.

After removing that stick from your ass, look around a little. I'm sure you'll find that I haven't endorsed bringing in any washed-up veterans. Thanks for lumping me in with everyone else, though. It's a pleasure.

Quit being a big puss, my post had nothing to do with you.

Call your mom and let it all out ...

Quit being a big puss, my post had nothing to do with you.

Call your mom and let it all out ...

You're the one getting offended here. I just made a simple suggestion. Can't take it, stop playing with the big boys. Or you can continue to throw worthless insults at people over the internet, because that's how adults act, isn't it?

Nor does shying away from every FA that is older than the age of 25.

ya, but you usually want to shy away from players that are strait up released. like holt for example, theres probably a very good reason he was flat out released. and you probably want to figure out that reason before looking to add him to a team.

ya, but you usually want to shy away from players that are strait up released. like holt for example, theres probably a very good reason he was flat out released. and you probably want to figure out that reason before looking to add him to a team.

Not always true. Matt Roth is a great example.

I think Holt would bring a true veteran presence to our WRs as opposed to just Furrey (whose more of a Safety now anyways). If we could get him cheap, I don't see any reason why not to

Good thought, but not sure we really need a tutor for the younger guys as much as simply some solid production guys.

If Holt's productivity has decreased and a team like the Jags are releasing him, sorry to say a lessor team (ours) should be looking elsewhere.

Good thought, but not sure we really need a tutor for the younger guys as much as simply some solid production guys.

If Holt's productivity has decreased and a team like the Jags are releasing him, sorry to say a lessor team (ours) should be looking elsewhere.

It might be worthwhile to bring him in to teach the likes of Robo and MoMass how to be a pro. If he doesn't make it on his own, no sweat as you didn't have to give up anything to get him.

My only wonder is the fact that the Jags are not known for their first rate corps of wide receivers, are they?

Maybe they let him go so they could open a spot for their new rookie WR/HB: Tim Tebow?

And Robiskie isn't a waste of a roster spot?

Robo was a rook. He could come around. Look how long it took a guy with a similar style to get the hang of the NFL: that being Chris Carter. He was not all that and a bag of chips his rookie year. In fact, in looking it up, Cris Carter had 5 catches for 84 yards his rookie season. (but 2 touchdowns, he never could catch anything but Touchdowns)

Robo was a rook. He could come around. Look how long it took a guy with a similar style to get the hang of the NFL: that being Chris Carter. He was not all that and a bag of chips his rookie year. In fact, in looking it up, Cris Carter had 5 catches for 84 yards his rookie season. (but 2 touchdowns, he never could catch anything but Touchdowns)

Okay. That's all well and good. But look at how many other WR's don't pan out in the NFL after having good college careers. The odds aren't necessarily in his favor. I'm not saying I don't think he'll be good, and I'm definitely not saying I don't want him to be good.I hope he's even half the receiver Cris Carter was. But if Robo can "waste" a spot for a year doing nothing, I don't see why Holt can't "waste" a spot teaching our receivers as well as contributing to our offense. Declining numbers or not, defenses still had to take Torry Holt into account whenever they gameplanned against the Rams and Jags. Would he get 150 yards a game for us? Probably not. But he'd at least take some of the pressure off of MoMass and whoever our third receiver ends up being. He's an improvement over Mike Furrey at WR, definitely. He's faster, has better hands, and runs routes just as well as Furrey. The only thing Furrey has over Holt, which I'm not discounting at all, is heart. Furrey's got miles and miles of heart.

great idea.....take away playing time from a young guy were trying to develop.

great way to build a franchise.....bring in vets to replace all the rookies who dont light up the league their first year.

what a bright future.....

This is not that bad of an idea. Holt is a big time character guy and although he may not be what he once was he is still a viable receiver. We really only go 3 deep at WR with MoMass, Robo and Stuckey. Cribbs and Furrey are the others unless we draft someone. Steptoe I believe is still on the roster along with a guy named Jake Allen (they are listed on the team roster), but it's not like we have too many WR's. Furrey is just an emergency stopgap at this point and a good guy to have around the team given his leadership and versatility.

MoMass could most certainly use some guidance as he has trouble adjusting to the ball in the air. This is correctable stuff and Robo, although daddy reared him to be a WR, could also use a good veteran influence. I see nothing wrong with this. Yeah, we're rebuilding and doing this the right way, but guys like Holt won't necessarily overturn the apple cart with ego issues. He also wouldn't come at a high cost.

Other options to look at are guys like Lee Evans, but with the impending cap situation that may not be a possibility.

There is a fine line between going all Dan Snyder with over the hill superstars and adding a good, veteran guy as almost another coach on the field.

I'd rather have a Holt than a Matt Jones. Still cant believe they signed his dumb ass. Riff you are completely right about the leadership aspect, look how Mike Simms Walker developed this year, and all the other young WR's. Holt won't cost much and he knows he will not be a #1 or #2 for than matter. I'd say do it, just to have the leadership aspect on the team. Maybe he can help Cribbs along a little more.

Roster

Height:

6'4"

Weight:

194lbs.

College:

Mississippi College

Birthdate:

01/18/1985

Acquired:

W - '09

Year in NFL:

Jake Allen

Wide Receiver

Action Photo

Games Played/Started:

2009 (3/0)

Career Totals

3 games, 0 starts

Career Transactions

Originally signed as an undrafted free agent by Green Bay on May 2, 2008; Spent 2008 season on Green Bay’s practice squad; Spent the first seven weeks of 2009 season on Green Bay's practice squad; Signed to Green Bay's active roster on October 27, 2009; Claimed off waivers by Cleveland on November 18, 2009.

Archived