THE BROWNS BOARD

The Wolfman Review

The Wolfman

Universal

R 125 min

I never read any competing reviews until mine is formulated and I’m often surprised to disagree with so many of the big boys. (Of course if they had any class they’d work for The Voice <G>)

In this case I was a bit puzzled by the lack of love shown to this years telling of the classic monster tale THE WOLF MAN.

We all know the basic hook, which is that the lycanthrope turns into a wolf when the moon is full.

If one bites you, you will become a werewolf too.

They can only be killed by silver bullets.

That’s the basis of the film so lets just list the reasons I liked it.

The casting is perfect. Anthony Hopkins is exactly the guy you want to play an aging English nobleman with a streak of evil.

As his prodigal son, who falls under the curse, I can’t imagine a better choice than the already wolf-like Benedicio Del Toro (Well maybe Paul Christensen) whose dialogue is intelligible for one of the few roles in his career. He fits seamlessly into the Lon Chaney Jr. mold from the forties.

They kept it in the late 19th century, which adds to the gothic horror mystique. I’d have hated to see it as a slasher flick set on Malibu.

The scenery is truly beautiful. I’ll be shocked of this isn’t nominated for best art direction even if the AVATAR bandwagon gets all the gold.

Every scene is like a painting, even among those rife with gore.

Let me add that the werewolves themselves have the look of the original, half man half wolf rather than the long snouts and all fours of modern day movie wolfery. (Wolfiosity?)

Great cast, familiar story, great scenery, blood and gore (but not gratuitous)…

What’s not to love?

B+

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Thanks for the review.

I like old movies and am sometime hesitant to see the moder remake.

I think I will have to go see it this weekend. Seems like a big screen kind of movie for me.

• 3 months later...
The Wolfman

Universal

R 125 min

I never read any competing reviews until mine is formulated and I’m often surprised to disagree with so many of the big boys. (Of course if they had any class they’d work for The Voice <G>)

In this case I was a bit puzzled by the lack of love shown to this years telling of the classic monster tale THE WOLF MAN.

We all know the basic hook, which is that the lycanthrope turns into a wolf when the moon is full.

If one bites you, you will become a werewolf too.

They can only be killed by silver bullets.

That’s the basis of the film so lets just list the reasons I liked it.

The casting is perfect. Anthony Hopkins is exactly the guy you want to play an aging English nobleman with a streak of evil.

As his prodigal son, who falls under the curse, I can’t imagine a better choice than the already wolf-like Benedicio Del Toro (Well maybe Paul Christensen) whose dialogue is intelligible for one of the few roles in his career. He fits seamlessly into the Lon Chaney Jr. mold from the forties.

They kept it in the late 19th century, which adds to the gothic horror mystique. I’d have hated to see it as a slasher flick set on Malibu.

The scenery is truly beautiful. I’ll be shocked of this isn’t nominated for best art direction even if the AVATAR bandwagon gets all the gold.

Every scene is like a painting, even among those rife with gore.

Let me add that the werewolves themselves have the look of the original, half man half wolf rather than the long snouts and all fours of modern day movie wolfery. (Wolfiosity?)

Great cast, familiar story, great scenery, blood and gore (but not gratuitous)…

What’s not to love?

B+

WSS

Email westsidesteve@aol.com

Watched this the other night and enjoyed it. Not big ito horro flicks, but I enjoyed the Wolfman. Maybe it's my unibrow that draws me in.

Zombo

Archived