THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday Feb 15

The Gipper

1. With football over for the season, which sporting event did you watch: Winter Olympics, NBA All Star Game, Daytona 500, College Basketball, Pebble Beach Pro-Am, or something else.

2. With the damn snow and ice mounting up this week, and at my age I am thinking of going somewhere warmer for retirement. Suggest a good retirement community. (Even if you aren't personally old enough to do this, I suspect you have parents/granparents or other relatives that have considered this)

3. Have you seen Avatar in 3-D, if so, report.

4. Should the Cavs make the trade for Amare Stoudemire?

5. What did you get your main squeeze for Valentine's Day? If you don't have one, tell us, and the rest of us can give you hints on how to get one.

1. With football over for the season, which sporting event did you watch: Winter Olympics, NBA All Star Game, Daytona 500, College Basketball, Pebble Beach Pro-Am, or something else.

PBA, OLYMPICS, PEBBLE BEACH

2. With the damn snow and ice mounting up this week, and at my age I am thinking of going somewhere warmer for retirement. Suggest a good retirement community. (Even if you aren't personally old enough to do this, I suspect you have parents/granparents or other relatives that have considered this)

I'm thinking Idaho or Utah....the south is too damn hot, and you've got tornados & hurricanes. That being said, if I did go south, probably Mississippi

No

Only if they can keep Z...he deserves to stay a Cavalier (like when Art let Clay Matthews go, BS).

5. What did you get your main squeeze for Valentine's Day? If you don't have one, tell us, and the rest of us can give you hints on how to get one.

Cooked on the grill, nice lotion massage : )

NBA All Star Game

Outer Banks, North Carolina...but you better have a good retirement plan.

Yes, very crazy and trippy. A must see in my eyes. Also make sure you check out Alice in Wonderland 3D when it comes out.

Yes IF this keeps LeBron in Cleveland.

Well we are both hurting on $$$ so i wrote her a poem and got her flowers like a gentleman :)

College Basketball

Hawaii

No

If they can keep Z

nothing

Primarily, I had to watch something else: my daughter's cheerleading competition. Other than that it was mostly Olympics. Though, when the figure skating was on, I switched to the NBA All Star Game. The exception was the very first couple from China who are the favorites, and who I would like to win if for no other reason than that they chose Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever" for their music. I did not watch the silly Nascar race, nor the golf, and just a few minutes of OSU basketball.

I am taking in your suggestions since I asked the question. (but one place I have threatened to retire to is southern Ireland. They have fairly mild weather there. They even have palm trees! And very friendly people. As a person with dual citizenship with Ireland I would have to right to go there. But of course my wife wants no part of it, and ultimately it may come down to being near to the kids.)

I have not. Only in regular. I should. That is why I asked.

Yes, if it keeps LeBron here, and improves the team and leads to a title. The problem is nothing is guaranteed no matter what you do.

As we had to drive to Columbus Saturday, and stay overnight, and go to these cheerleading events, and drive back home all tired out, my wife said not to bother to do anything for Valentine's Day.

But, of course, she was pissed off when I actually followed her wishes and did nothing.

Olympics

You should retire in Naples, Florida and buy a home from John Meehan

No, looks gay.

4. Should the Cavs make the trade for Amare Stoudemire?.

Depends on who they are trading.

A bracelet and dinner.

Zombo

Winter Olympics

Euene, Oreon. With climate change we no get Norrthern California's weather. No snow in the Willamette Valley.

Not seden it yet.

Yes, if it keeps LeBron in Cleveland.

A card, the rest is personal.

Supercross

My grandparents stay in Tampa from November to April. They love it.

If he helps them win it all

Took her to Florida 2 weeks ago and told her that was her gift but it was really my execuse to take my motorcycle down there to get some riding time in lol.

I watched OSU vs Illini and the Olympics.

There are lots of new communities opening up the restrict home buying to 55 +, you have to look for them but most are nice, not sure how old you are...No snow here in Jax, FL but it has been cold enough for it at least 12-15 days this winter.

Have not seen it in any format yet, not much into spending $50 for a movie/popcorn/soda when I have a great environment at the house to see a movie once out on DVD.

I like it if it means everyone stays healthy and we play for the championship. I gotta admit though I've grown to like Hickson as he has shown dramitic improvement this year and big Z's presence on the team would be missed.

I'm fortunate (or unfortunate, however you want to look at it) in that my wife's B-day is a few days before V-Day so I got her a new car stereo for her birthday with an I-pod interface then got her an I-pod nano for V-day. She's now rocking out in her car to all her favorite flamenco/sevillana/Spanish music!

all star game, which was disappointing

Virgin Islands :P

I have not, but my mom saw it and she told me she was absolutely blown away with how amazing it looked. I may or may not see it...I'm not much of a movie person

Yes. JJ is the future, Amare is the present. Trade the future for the present and make sure lebron reups with the cavs.

I don't have a girl this valentine's day. I worked 12 hours at my restaurant and we were on a wait for 9 hours (holy shit I'm still tired)

Florida

no

I'm really undecided on this, i can see it working beautifully and it would cause lebron to resign and it would give cleveland a dynasty, and I can see it going horribly wrong.

I didnt have one, but i dont need tips from old-timers :lol: just messin

I watched Apollo Anton Ohno almost lose to three Koreans, until two of them fell down. Then I watched my boy Dustin Johnson represent Coastal Carolina University at Pebble Beach.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Everybody else seems to retire here.

Yes, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Played out story, but the visuals were stunning.

Why not?

This is my first year without one, so I took my mom out to dinner. Then I got drunk, watched Inglorious Basterds, and punched my best friend in the face.

the 500 untill all thr delays

I have a home in Chattanooga...pretty good winter weather.....minus this year, and Venice, Fla. If you want to see a little snow every once in a while....like every 3-4 years on norm, choose Tn, if you never want to see it again, choose Venice.

No

Not sure of the details

Some roses and a 12oz prime filet, cooked by the best steak chef in the world......me. Twice baked potato and asparagus as the side. Bearnaise for the steak of course

Some retorts on some of the things said so far:

1. Someone mentioned Supercross....is that the Olympic snowboard event? Or the thing in dirt with mopeds?

2. I am over 55, so any suggestions can take that into account.

3. Someone asked the same question that was on my mind: would they be able to produce some kind of 3D DVD or whatever for home viewing.

4. On the various suggestions for retirement, I think Florida would be OK only in winter. A summer there may in fact be worse than a winter here.

My father in law lives in South Carolina. But up near Columbia. SC is not high on my list. Same godawful hot summers as the Florida issue.

I have been to both Hawaii and the Virgin Islands, and they could be excellent choices except for 2 things: cost of living and distance from family. (Same problem I have with going to Ireland)

Arizona is a thought, but not the Phoenix area. If we went it would probably north of there. Around Prescott maybe. Sedona would be too rich for our blood, but some areas near Sedona might be more reasonable.

Winter Olympics. I really love the downhill speed skiing. @@

A friend moved to Salisbury, NC - it's a quaint, lovable town. They LOVE it there.

Yes. It isn't the most intriguing plot, but the special effects are spectacular and worth admission. I'd love to see it a second time.

Probably. What would they have to trade? Maybe not.

We didn't get fancy. She got me a big chocolate Hershey's bar, GGG, and I got her a stuffed Valentine moose from our bank, and wrote her a full page love poem.

The best and last line was "When 'ere we're apart, I moose you like crazy"... LOL

Watched a little of the NBA All-Star game, got it taped, so I'll finish watching it today. I consider auto racing- of any flavor- monumentally boring. Spent Saturday night, and most of Sunday doing a Lord of the Rings marathon- all 11-1\2 hours worth (which ties in with #3).

Depends on how hot you want it in the summer, and if ANY cold weather is a no-no. Yeah, Tampa\Clearwater is great- November though April- but personally, it's way too damn hot in the summer. Wife's cousin got married there in October- and it was as bad as any Ohio summer day with the heat & humidity. Arizona's booming for that reason- I liked Tuscon when I was there on a business trip- but call me a little bit of an eco-freak in that regard- given the available water, the population growth is unsustainable.

Yes, and frankly, I was underwhelmed. The plot is pretty much borrowed from "Dances with Wolfs", and plenty of "The Matrix" got incorporated too, so it's hardly a ground breaking movie in that respect. I made the mistake of not wearing contacts to the show- and IMHO that's why 3D isn't going to really take off until they figure out a way (holographic projection) to dispense with the glasses (glasses on top of glasses sucks). I found the 3D to be annoyingly inconsistent- couple scenes- WOW! OTOH, 50%+ of the movie looked like it was straight flat screen to me. The only reason to see the movie is for the CGI (state of the art), much better than LOTR, and the 3D. & since someone asked- I try to keep up on cutting edge HD stuff- Panasonic is supposedly coming out with 3D capable, HDTVs this year. They may be real pricey.

Only if it doesn't involve JJ Hickson , who is looking more and more like the second coming of Carlos Boozer. And not Andy either. I hope Ferry is smart enough to not repeat the Ron Harper fiasco, and tear apart a team that can well win it all without doing anything. Really, why make a trade at all? You already beat the Lakers & Magic twice (once each without Mo Williams). WTF, you think Rashard Lewis or Rasheed Wallace is gonna be able to beat the Cavs by themselves? Sorry, don't think so.

Pluto agrees....

A nice card, and a nice dinner out.

1. The Olympics and the finish at Daytona

2. Greenville, SC. No kidding. I sound like the Chamber of Commerce when I talk about it but it's really great.

3. Indeed. Judging by the trailers I had no desire AT ALL to see this movie but I loved it. It's visually beautiful and I'd definitely opt for 3-D. In a nutshell it's Dances with Wolves meets the Terminator with elements of nearly every other significant sci-fi movie of the last decade.

4. I have no idea.

5. I just sent cards to my loved ones.

A friend moved to Salisbury, NC - it's a quaint, lovable town. They LOVE it there.

That area of North Carolina is beautiful and is considered a retirement community but they get dumped on with snow. Greenville, SC has four seasons without the need for a snow shovel. The mountains (and all that snow) are just 30 minutes north. The beach is about 5 hours away. Atlanta and Charlotte are 2-2.5 hours in either direction.

Something else or nothing.

Venture Out in Cudjoe Key Fla.

Nope. It's a barely above average flick though I suppose the3D would be fun until it got boring. Thought about going to the Imax but....

Anybody but Kolb. :lol:

5. What did you get your main squeeze for Valentine's Day?

Nude 8 x 10 of a prominent Norton Ohio attorney.

If you don't have one, tell us, and the rest of us can give you hints on how to get one.

Just don't let your wife find out.

WSS

Something else or nothing.

Venture Out in Cudjoe Key Fla.

Nope. It's a barely above average flick though I suppose the3D would be fun until it got boring. Thought about going to the Imax but....

Anybody but Kolb. :lol:

5. What did you get your main squeeze for Valentine's Day?

Nude 8 x 10 of a prominent Norton Ohio attorney.

Would that be Tom Walkley or David Kennedy? I don't know any other "Norton" attorneys. (Photos taken by you in secret and inflagrante, perhaps?)

If you don't have one, tell us, and the rest of us can give you hints on how to get one.

Just don't let your wife find out.

She already suspects that you are really gay!

I don't know about the Keys, or Florida, or the Gulf Coast, or the Carolinas. I don't know if I would want to be annoyed by a potential major hurricane. Does anyone who has family/friends in those areas have those concerns?

Of course, when La Palma blows, the entire East Coast from the Keys to New York will be inundated by a 2000 foot tsunami.

You should try Google Earth, and zoom in on these areas - it would give you a great idea of how close they are to the coast.

I think we should all go tailgate this winter at Ms. Hutchins' yard, somebody just has to think of a great excuse and get her permission. GGG

(My wonderful cute Wife got ANOTHER SNOW DAY today. It's GREAT ! But the snow is so deep, you can't really walk out to the barn...)

I don't know about the Keys, or Florida, or the Gulf Coast, or the Carolinas. I don't know if I would want to be annoyed by a potential major hurricane. Does anyone who has family/friends in those areas have those concerns?

Of course, when La Palma blows, the entire East Coast from the Keys to New York will be inundated by a 2000 foot tsunami.

My wife's uncle & aunt moved to New Bern, NC. They've been hammered a few times by hurricanes, no fun at all.

I was in class all weekend, so I missed a lot of sports. I caught some of the Olympics and that's about it.

Couldn't tell you!

NOPE!

Absolutely!

Flowers, Chocolate truffles, a new Lebron shirt (She really wanted one and I saw it in passing so I couldn't help but to get it for her.), and a card. We went to dinner last weekend because of how clogged our schedule was this weekend.

Here in Naples the weather is very consistent in the Summer. The high is about 92-93* every day, it very rarely gets higher than 93 or lower than 90. The mornings are warm and sunny, the afternoons are humid, it rains late afternoon and the evenings are nice and comfortable.

We don't get extreme high temps or cool streaks as in the midwest. It's always hot ... but everything is air conditioned. I love summers down here, the Beaches, restaraunts and streets are not crowded, the weather is consistent and the lifestyle is laid back.

As for Hurricane's we've had one direct hit since 1960, and that was 2005. In 2004 -2005 there seemed to be a hurricane watch every week but most of them end up heading toward Pensacola / New Orleans, etc. Hurricane parties are a lot of fun.

Here are the average high's in Naples from Jan thru Dec:

My favorite months are May and November ... but they are all great.

If you are coming to Florida, make sure you are in Tampa (although I would avoid a large metropolis) or South. No frost, no cold. The West Coast lifestyle is much less hectic and more "midwestern" than the East coast. And you want to be near the Beach.

So that leaves Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice, Port Charlotte, Fort Myers and Naples areas. And of those Naples / Marco Island has the best cultural activities, most attractive landscape and cleanest streets and Beaches.

The Sarasota area would be my second choice.

I have lived here for 18 years, and the only areas I would consider re-locating to would be Hawaii or Southern California, but, frankly, I think Southwest florida has those places beat, all things considered.

Another nice thing about Naples is that we have no "big city" problems or mentality ... but we are within two hours of the Buccaneers, Rays, Lightning, Dolphins, Marlins, Panthers and Heat ... not to mention all the MLB spring training games that are right down the road.

And this year the Browns play in Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville ... I get to see the Brownies three time without leaving the state! You should come down for the Dolphns or Bucs game and tour the areas for yourself....

Zombo

Here in Naples the weather is very consistent in the Summer. The high is about 92-93* every day, it very rarely gets higher than 93 or lower than 90. The mornings are warm and sunny, the afternoons are humid, it rains late afternoon and the evenings are nice and comfortable.

We don't get extreme high temps or cool streaks as in the midwest. It's always hot ... but everything is air conditioned. I love summers down here, the Beaches, restaraunts and streets are not crowded, the weather is consistent and the lifestyle is laid back.

As for Hurricane's we've had one direct hit since 1960, and that was 2005. In 2004 -2005 there seemed to be a hurricane watch every week but most of them end up heading toward Pensacola / New Orleans, etc. Hurricane parties are a lot of fun.

Here are the average high's in Naples from Jan thru Dec:

My favorite months are May and November ... but they are all great.

If you are coming to Florida, make sure you are in Tampa (although I would avoid a large metropolis) or South. No frost, no cold. The West Coast lifestyle is much less hectic and more "midwestern" than the East coast. And you want to be near the Beach.

So that leaves Bradenton, Sarasota, Venice, Port Charlotte, Fort Myers and Naples areas. And of those Naples / Marco Island has the best cultural activities, most attractive landscape and cleanest streets and Beaches.

The Sarasota area would be my second choice.

I have lived here for 18 years, and the only areas I would consider re-locating to would be Hawaii or Southern California, but, frankly, I think Southwest florida has those places beat, all things considered.

Another nice thing about Naples is that we have no "big city" problems or mentality ... but we are within two hours of the Buccaneers, Rays, Lightning, Dolphins, Marlins, Panthers and Heat ... not to mention all the MLB spring training games that are right down the road.

And this year the Browns play in Tampa, Miami and Jacksonville ... I get to see the Brownies three time without leaving the state! You should come down for the Dolphns or Bucs game and tour the areas for yourself....

Zombo

As the old saying goes: its not the heat, its the humidity. I guess though, the way to beat the humidity in the Florida summers is to do one of three things: hang inside in the A/C, or hang out in the pool, or hang out at the beach under an umbrella. (Can't go out into the sun all that much...to fair of skin)

Fair to say?

And, correct me if I am wrong....it is probably practically as far to go from Naples to Jacksonville as it is to go from Cleveland to Jacksonville. I know when my nephew lived in Ft. Lauderdale I was taking a trip to Panama City and he said it would be farther for him to drive from his place in SoFlo as it would be for me to drive from my place in Ohio.

As the old saying goes: its not the heat, its the humidity. I guess though, the way to beat the humidity in the Florida summers is to do one of three things: hang inside in the A/C, or hang out in the pool, or hang out at the beach under an umbrella. (Can't go out into the sun all that much...to fair of skin)

Fair to say?

And, correct me if I am wrong....it is probably practically as far to go from Naples to Jacksonville as it is to go from Cleveland to Jacksonville. I know when my nephew lived in Ft. Lauderdale I was taking a trip to Panama City and he said it would be farther for him to drive from his place in SoFlo as it would be for me to drive from my place in Ohio.

i used to live and work in tempe, az when my dad retired there back in the 80's. he moved there because of the dry humidity. i used to hear that crap all the time: "yes it might be 115 degrees but it's dry!". bullshit! you'd sweat walking from your home to your car to turn the ac on, from your car into work etc. etc. i my self am not a beach person but do like the water. when 'we' retire it will probably be back to where i grew up in sandusky. remember: you can always put more clothes on to keep warm but there's only so much you can take off.

and as for florida, how do you like the four inch flying bugs?

i used to live and work in tempe, az when my dad retired there back in the 80's. he moved there because of the dry humidity. i used to hear that crap all the time: "yes it might be 115 degrees but it's dry!". bullshit! you'd sweat walking from your home to your car to turn the ac on, from your car into work etc. etc. i my self am not a beach person but do like the water. when 'we' retire it will probably be back to where i grew up in sandusky. remember: you can always put more clothes on to keep warm but there's only so much you can take off.

and as for florida, how do you like the four inch flying bugs?

Florida? The scariest "flying bug" I ever saw was in Tuscon. A tarantula wasp. I thought it was a hummingbird.

(In a prior post I said that I would not want any part of the Phoenix area precisely for the reasons you cite.

But I understand that if you are at a higher elevation in AZ it might be quite a bit more pleasant)

Archived