THE BROWNS BOARD

Survey Monday Feb 15

The Gipper

As the old saying goes: its not the heat, its the humidity. I guess though, the way to beat the humidity in the Florida summers is to do one of three things: hang inside in the A/C, or hang out in the pool, or hang out at the beach under an umbrella. (Can't go out into the sun all that much...to fair of skin)

Fair to say?

And, correct me if I am wrong....it is probably practically as far to go from Naples to Jacksonville as it is to go from Cleveland to Jacksonville. I know when my nephew lived in Ft. Lauderdale I was taking a trip to Panama City and he said it would be farther for him to drive from his place in SoFlo as it would be for me to drive from my place in Ohio.

Yes, in the summers it is A/C, pool or Beach. Unless you are crazy like me, I ride my bike in the Summer to lose those pounds I gained in the Winter.

Jacksonville is a 6-hour trip from Naples. Still worth it to see the Browns though. Jacskonville is more of a "Deep South" city, rather than Floridian, it might as well be in Georgia, and they get cold weather up there. Froze my ass off at a Jags game once, Spegreon Wynn started and I think we lost 43-0.

I'm not a big fan of Orlando as it is a landlocked tourist-infested klusterphuck. And not a fan of Miami as it is New York City Meets Havana. Sothwest Florida is where it's at.

And as for the guy that is afraid of bugs ... please.

We spray for bugs down here year round, I get more bugbites when I visit Pennsylvania for a week than I get down here all year. Unless you want to go camping at night in the Everglades ... yeah those flying bugs might just carry you and your tent off.

Zombo

Yes, in the summers it is A/C, pool or Beach. Unless you are crazy like me, I ride my bike in the Summer to lose those pounds I gained in the Winter.

Jacksonville is a 6-hour trip from Naples. Still worth it to see the Browns though. Jacskonville is more of a "Deep South" city, rather than Floridian, it might as well be in Georgia, and they get cold weather up there. Froze my ass off at a Jags game once, Spegreon Wynn started and I think we lost 43-0.

I'm not a big fan of Orlando as it is a landlocked tourist-infested klusterphuck. And not a fan of Miami as it is New York City Meets Havana. Sothwest Florida is where it's at.

And as for the guy that is afraid of bugs ... please.

We spray for bugs down here year round, I get more bugbites when I visit Pennsylvania for a week than I get down here all year. Unless you want to go camping at night in the Everglades ... yeah those flying bugs might just carry you and your tent off.

Zombo

The worst mosquito swarms I have ever seen have been in Minnesota and Canada, though, certainly, SoFlo has a lot more of those than I care for.

1. With football over for the season, which sporting event did you watch: Winter Olympics, NBA All Star Game, Daytona 500, College Basketball, Pebble Beach Pro-Am, or something else.

I watched a little of the NBA All Star Game but that was pretty much it.

2. With the damn snow and ice mounting up this week, and at my age I am thinking of going somewhere warmer for retirement. Suggest a good retirement community. (Even if you aren't personally old enough to do this, I suspect you have parents/granparents or other relatives that have considered this)

I've never traveled out of Ohio but my sister told me Arizona is nice but the heat can be killer. My aunt lives in Hunstville Alabama and she loves it down there.

3. Have you seen Avatar in 3-D, if so, report.

I didn't see it in 3-D but I did see it in theaters. Story is closely resembling something we've all heard before (Pocahontas) but the visuals are amazing and I really enjoyed it Look forward to the sequel(s).

4. Should the Cavs make the trade for Amare Stoudemire?

YES!

5. What did you get your main squeeze for Valentine's Day? If you don't have one, tell us, and the rest of us can give you hints on how to get one.

No current main squeeze.

4. On the various suggestions for retirement, I think Florida would be OK only in winter. A summer there may in fact be worse than a winter here.

My father in law lives in South Carolina. But up near Columbia. SC is not high on my list. Same godawful hot summers as the Florida issue.

I have been to both Hawaii and the Virgin Islands, and they could be excellent choices except for 2 things: cost of living and distance from family. (Same problem I have with going to Ireland)

Columbia, SC is THE WORST. I wouldn't want to live their either. It's hot, humid, and miserable in the summers. I'd still recommend Greenville. It has a whole different feel than the rest of the state.

A summer there may in fact be worse than a winter here.

No, I can tell you it's not.

First, I am a northerner and in many way prefer the cooler temps.

That said, unless you really get inland, Chattanooga is hotter than Fla.

At least in Fla there always seems to be a breeze to cool you off.

No doubt it is humid, but rarely do you feel a bead of sweat drop from the crown of your balding head, down your back, to the crack of your butt.

That's N.O, Mobile, or Houston in the summer. ;)

Trust me, I know the feeling :wacko:

The only complaint I have about Florida is the water pressure in the showers. Ive stayed in alot of different houses and hotels and none of them had any water pressure. Everytime I take a vacation and head down there that's about the only thing I miss lol.

It's all in the low volume shower heads. At your own place you can install any head you want.

Go to California and you get a wet wipe to wash down.

Back in the early 60's, we were moving into a house in Cambridge Ohio, and

I walked into the mostly empty house just after some stuff was unloaded from the truck,

and I saw a wasp that big. It was 3 1/4 inches long, and was some kind of thing just like that.

A teacher had an uncle who was an entamologist sp?, and said is was not all that uncommon, they only

hunt at night. Well, it freaked me out, so I killed it with a cardboard tube of Christmas wrap... @@.

It wasn't called a tarantula wasp, though. Very strange to see something like that, never saw it again.

Columbia, SC is THE WORST. I wouldn't want to live their either. It's hot, humid, and miserable in the summers. I'd still recommend Greenville. It has a whole different feel than the rest of the state.

Sounds to me like a little parochialism rearing its head. Kind of like us saying "who the hell would want to live in Pittsburgh, its the worst".

Are you trying to tell me that the heat and humidity they get in Columbia in the summers is no where to be found 75 miles up the road? And you don't get snow? If that is so, indeed, it must be a paradise. Somehow, I am skeptical.

So, what are you: a Gamecock or a Tiger?

A summer there may in fact be worse than a winter here.

No, I can tell you it's not.

First, I am a northerner and in many way prefer the cooler temps.

That said, unless you really get inland, Chattanooga is hotter than Fla.

At least in Fla there always seems to be a breeze to cool you off.

No doubt it is humid, but rarely do you feel a bead of sweat drop from the crown of your balding head, down your back, to the crack of your butt.

That's N.O, Mobile, or Houston in the summer. ;)

Trust me, I know the feeling :wacko:

Well, I lived in Florida for one summer when I was young, and to me, even at 20 years old, it was unbearable. I mean, it really is just a sauna bath. Maybe if you are right on the beach it may not be so bad, but I only lived 5-6 miles inland, and it was crazy hot and humid. I later years when I would go down in the summer, just going from the car into a store would result in a feeling like I was doused with water, the sweat was rolling so bad. Maybe its just me.

Southern California trumps all of those places. I cant imagine living anywhere else ever again.

Weather wise, the San Diego or LA areas are probably ideal. Though don't they have a saying about the 4 seasons there:

Fire, mudslides, earthquakes, and...something. The issues there is overpopulation, smog, traffic, and cost of living.

Are there some smaller less congested, less expensive areas in SoCal you could reccomend?

being in the army in my 20's and driving moving trucks till a couple of years ago i've seen a great deal of not only this country but the world, and i've got to say colorado has got to be one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. drove out to telluride a couple of years ago by myself in a busted old 26' truck and man, it was a life changing experience. but then again i don't mind the north and the changing seasons. i don't know if i could handle the same weather everyday. especially after retiring. fall into a lull and die. maybe the best thing to do is buy a freakin winnebago and go where you want, when you want. (too bad you couldn't fly it over to germany where i was at. i would move there in a heartbeat. best looking women in the world, and the best beer! and it's close to italy, swtz and AMSTERDAM!) hey gip: good luck with whatever you decide to do!

being in the army in my 20's and driving moving trucks till a couple of years ago i've seen a great deal of not only this country but the world, and i've got to say colorado has got to be one of the most beautiful places i've ever been. drove out to telluride a couple of years ago by myself in a busted old 26' truck and man, it was a life changing experience. but then again i don't mind the north and the changing seasons. i don't know if i could handle the same weather everyday. especially after retiring. fall into a lull and die. maybe the best thing to do is buy a freakin winnebago and go where you want, when you want. (too bad you couldn't fly it over to germany where i was at. i would move there in a heartbeat. best looking women in the world, and the best beer! and it's close to italy, swtz and AMSTERDAM!) hey gip: good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Well, here are the issues with what you say: I have done a lot of traveling, and would like to continue to do a lot of traveling, but the fact is, traveling, while fun, can also be fairly wearying. Especially so as you get older. I can't roll all day down the highway the way I used to. Even 5 years ago I took trips where I would put upwards of 3000 miles on a rental car in a week or 10 days. I don't think I really want to do that now. I would be too wiped out to enjoy the travel.

And the other thing is, yes, I like the seasons, but I am about fed up with struggling with ice and snow just to get around.

I wouldn't mind a location that gets a little snow, but this 2 feet of snow that sticks around for a month is a big PITA. My neighbors elderly mother just fell and broke her hip on the ice. I really don't want that happening to me when I get about 70.

I know I complained about the summers in Fla. and South Carolina, which are bad. But one thing about them: You don't have to shovel sunshine.

Sounds to me like a little parochialism rearing its head. Kind of like us saying "who the hell would want to live in Pittsburgh, its the worst".

Are you trying to tell me that the heat and humidity they get in Columbia in the summers is no where to be found 75 miles up the road? And you don't get snow? If that is so, indeed, it must be a paradise. Somehow, I am skeptical.

So, what are you: a Gamecock or a Tiger?

We get hot weather in the summer but it does not compare with the humidity and discomfort in Columbia. Besides, we're an easy 30-60 minutes from the cool, refreshing mountains. In fact, if you live in northern Greenville County, you'd be living in the cool mountains.

We got three inches of snow one day this winter. It melted the next day. We usually have ice or snow once or twice a winter and everyone stays in until it melts which is usually the next day. This has been an uncharacteristically chilly winter so I've actually worn one of my two warm sweaters. Because Greenville is in the foothills, we're protected from most of the severe weather.

The next time you're in Columbia, take a drive to the northwest (Greenville's a little more than 2 hours away) and take a look.

My younger son graduated from USC (South Carolina) so I guess you'd say we have Gamecock leanings (he can attest to the miserable Columbia temperatures). My older son is a Hokie. We grudgingly tolerate the Clemson folk.

Archived