THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Jimmy Clausen

Zombo

We need to draft the kid with the Golden Arm, Jimmy Clausen.

He's not tall like Anderson, or mobile like Quinn ... but you know what? Those guys suck.

Clausen is accurate. And as Drew Brees just showed the world ... that's how you move an offense up and down the field and score points.

JC completed 68% of his passes and only threw 4 interceptions last year in Weis' NFL-type passing system.

Sorry guys, I love defense and we have all sorts of needs, but a cornerback is not going to turn this franchise into an elite one, but the right QB might.

I would get rid of Quinn, package him in a trade and get what we can for him ... he doesn't have it.

Anderson could stay as temporary starter until Claussen is ready if he is willing to take a pay cut, otherwise see if we can bring a Bulger or similar vet.

Jimmy Clausen was the best passing QB in the NCAA last year. He's a workout warrior with a great attitude and his teammates and workout partners seem to love him. He's smart, accurate, dilligent, and comes from a famiy of QBs. He could be the next Peyton Manning.

I'm officially throwing my weight behind Clausen. This franchise needs a quarterback.

Zombo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ND's schedule last year was pretty easy. I'm a huge ND fan and I don't want him.

Well, let's look at the good teams he faced:

USC 24-43-260yds 2td 0 int

Pitt 27-42-283yds 1td 1 int

Stan 38-45-340yds 5td 0 int

Navy and CT were pretty good too and he had great numbers against them.

I'm not going to hold "strength of schedule" against him. He throws beautiful, accurate passes, which is more than we can say about our current guys.

Zombo

I'm not going to hold "strength of schedule" against him. He throws beautiful, accurate passes, which is more than we can say about our current guys.

Zombo

here's why you can hold SOS against him to a degree. If I remember correctly (I did this earlier), 4 defenses he played this year were below 90 in total defense, including washington state who was dead last in total defense. I know for a fact stanford's defense was in the high 90's, and USC was not that great this year either. I think i'll pass on anther hyped ND QB haha.

here's why you can hold SOS against him to a degree. If I remember correctly (I did this earlier), 4 defenses he played this year were below 90 in total defense, including washington state who was dead last in total defense. I know for a fact stanford's defense was in the high 90's, and USC was not that great this year either. I think i'll pass on anther hyped ND QB haha.

Is he hyped? Or is he just a great passer?

I think the days of anything coming out of Notre Dame being over-hyped are long gone.

Zombo

Z, I don't care about hype. I just think from a PR standpoint, Holmgren isn't going to go to the ND well twice in a row. The mocks have Clausen all over the map- and @ #7 I'll take the shut down corner over Clausen. If Jimmy does a free fall in the draft, well then, just maybe.

Is he hyped? Or is he just a great passer?

I think the days of anything coming out of Notre Dame being over-hyped are long gone.

Zombo

I always think there will be hype around ND, no matter where the program is. That's just the nature of the beast.

But i'll say it again since you kinda dodged it, SOS made a huge difference in his numbers. I'd bet a good bit of money if he would of gone through the SEC or Big Ten the numbers would not be there.

GP PA PC Int Pct Yds TD Lg

QUINN 12 450 292 7 64.9 3919 32 80

CLAUSEN 12 425 289 4 68 3722 28 88

GP Rec Yds Avg TD Lg Ypg

SAMARDZIJA 12 77 1249 16.2 15 80 104.7 - Now Pitching for Chicago Cubs

TATE 12 93 1496 16.1 15 78 124.7 - Projected 1st Round Draft Pick

Zombo,

I dont honestly see any of the QB's in this Draft being worth putting the investment into that 1st round pick requires, Quinn's final year numbers were just as good as Clausens are, and look where we are with that decision. As well as Clausen having probably a better WR to throw to.

These are the risks that accompany any decision to Draft a QB high in as just dont know for sure what we are going to get, but hopefully with Holmgren in charge, if he does decide to go that route, the chances might be slightly better for us to come up with a Winner.

I always think there will be hype around ND, no matter where the program is. That's just the nature of the beast.

But i'll say it again since you kinda dodged it, SOS made a huge difference in his numbers. I'd bet a good bit of money if he would of gone through the SEC or Big Ten the numbers would not be there.

He may have thrown a few more picks in the speedy SEC, but I think he would have been accurate against any schedule.

Zombo

GP PA PC Int Pct Yds TD Lg

QUINN 12 450 292 7 64.9 3919 32 80

CLAUSEN 12 425 289 4 68 3722 28 88

GP Rec Yds Avg TD Lg Ypg

SAMARDZIJA 12 77 1249 16.2 15 80 104.7 - Now Pitching for Chicago Cubs

TATE 12 93 1496 16.1 15 78 124.7 - Projected 1st Round Draft Pick

Zombo,

Quinn's final year numbers were just as good as Clausens are, and look where we are with that decision.

Clausen is a better natural passer than Quinn. Quinn's game was ideal for the college game, but he is slow, timid and innacuarate inthe NFL, I don't see those qualities in Clausen.

Zombo

i like clausen and think he might be the best of the top three. BUT to take a qb with our first pick: imho no. back in the day i can't remember so much riding on the fate of picking a player that can be the "franchise turner-arounder". i know this is off topic now but how much pressure are we putting these kids under? usc gives an offer to a 13 year old qb? come on. we've gone way too far with this shit.

bottom line: there's no crystal ball to give the front office and coaching staff the heads up on who's gonna be great and who's gonna blow but that's why we brought in holmgren. go with the shut down corner (or the safety if he drops) and maybe we can pick up pike, lefevour, or robinson later. i'm thinking if okung the ol is there we'll jump on him.

oh btw, is espn gonna have a crying room for tebow like they did for quinn?

Anyone who "throws a lot of balls up for grabs" isn't going to make it in the pros. No thanks on Clausen. Unless he's there in the 3rd round.

He throws a lot of ball up for grabs? Is that how he only had 4 Ints?

Zombo

He throws a lot of ball up for grabs? Is that how he only had 4 Ints?

Zombo

The result of throwing balls up for grabs in college differs greatly when doing the same thing in the NFL. I've made this argument before. DBs in the NFL will make the play whenever it is there to be made. As an NFL QB, you can't give them that chance. In college, you have a bunch of kids who routinely blow assignments and miss chances to make pays. And so, you get away with throwing the ball up for grabs. It doesn't work that way in the NFL. Clausen's numbers have a lot to do with college DBs not being very good. They are very misleading. In fact, all college QB numbers are misleading for some of the same reasons as above. This is one of the reasons I will always be against taking QBs in the 1st round.

Clausen may be a good QB in the NFL, nobody knows that for sure but he is not worth a top ten pick or in my opinion, even a first round pick. Its not like he's the missing peice for Baltimore, Green Bay, or the NYJ. We have an entire team to put together here and Clausen or any QB at #7 would just be another big time draft day F-up for the Browns.

My perfect draft day, trade up and get Berry. If we can't then swap 1st rounders, get out of the top 15, draft Dwyer and grab some 2nd and 3rd round picks. Bring in cheap, young, and talented players. You could even go for a QB with one of those acquired 3rd rounders. I have faith that Heckert, Mangini, and Holmgren collectively can find quality players in rounds 2-5. I don't feel like there are any players in picks 3-12 that are worth it to us.

The result of throwing balls up for grabs in college differs greatly when doing the same thing in the NFL. I've made this argument before. DBs in the NFL will make the play whenever it is there to be made. As an NFL QB, you can't give them that chance. In college, you have a bunch of kids who routinely blow assignments and miss chances to make pays. And so, you get away with throwing the ball up for grabs. It doesn't work that way in the NFL. Clausen's numbers have a lot to do with college DBs not being very good. They are very misleading. In fact, all college QB numbers are misleading for some of the same reasons as above. This is one of the reasons I will always be against taking QBs in the 1st round.

Clausen may be a good QB in the NFL, nobody knows that for sure but he is not worth a top ten pick or in my opinion, even a first round pick. Its not like he's the missing peice for Baltimore, Green Bay, or the NYJ. We have an entire team to put together here and Clausen or any QB at #7 would just be another big time draft day F-up for the Browns.

My perfect draft day, trade up and get Berry. If we can't then swap 1st rounders, get out of the top 15, draft Dwyer and grab some 2nd and 3rd round picks. Bring in cheap, young, and talented players. You could even go for a QB with one of those acquired 3rd rounders. I have faith that Heckert, Mangini, and Holmgren collectively can find quality players in rounds 2-5. I don't feel like there are any players in picks 3-12 that are worth it to us.

I agree, you don't look too hard at college numbers, you look at the film. But where do you come up with "he throws a lot of balls up for grabs'?

Zombo

I agree, you don't look to hard at college numbers, you look at the film. But where do you come up with "he throws a lot of balls up for grabs'?

Zombo

That was the knock on him pointed out by a few posters here a while back. And more recently, Todd McShea or whatever his name is said that if there was a knock on him, its that he "throws balls up for grabs". Granted, he said it was hard for him to find a negative, but the one he found is one I've heard before. And its a big one. Big enough to me to want to pass on him at #7. I would rather trade out of that spot and get a QB with our final pick in the 3rd and develope him.

Zombo

I watched Oregon drop 47 points on USC and 42 points on Stanford. I'm not impressed.

I watched Oregon drop 47 points on USC and 42 points on Stanford. I'm not impressed.

I don't care who he played, he's an excellent passer. Something Quinn and Anderson are not. Step away fron the stats and watch Jimmy clausen throw and read what the scouts say about him.

Or stick your head in the sand and pretend we don't need a real QB.

Zombo

I don't care who he played, he's an excellent passer. Something Quinn and Anderson are not. Step away fron the stats and watch Jimmy clausen throw and read what the scouts say about him.

Or stick your head in the sand and pretend we don't need a real QB.

Zombo

I don't know what makes him a real QB. He's just as unproven as every other college QB in the draft. I understand people have favorites, but this kid is no Messiah. He's no savior, he's no Martin Luther King, Jesus Christ, or Easter Bunny. He's just a football player.

I don't know what makes him a real QB. He's just as unproven as every other college QB in the draft. I understand people have favorites, but this kid is no Messiah. He's no savior, he's no Martin Luther King, Jesus Christ, or Easter Bunny. He's just a football player.

And, to take this even further. Jimmy Clausen is second to Brady Quinn in single season completions, attemtps, and yards. Also, the only better statistical seasons than Jimmy Clausens were Brady Quinn's in '05 and '06.

To me, it sounds exactly like the hype that was around Brady Quinn in college, only with less on the field evidence to prove it. I'm talking numbers. Sure, Jimmy Clausen doesn't look like a fag when he throws, but he also didn't acheive as much on the field.

I'm not against Jimmy Clausen, I'm just against repeating mistakes.

After watching a half an hour of Clausen highlites my answer has changed from no, to NOOOO FOOKIN WAY!!!

This kid never goes to his 2nd read! Just like Quinn! His stats are a result of YAC and hail marys. His arm strength is okay but he stares at his first option and flings it up there a lot of times in double coverage. This will not work in the pros. He may be able to play for New England as it looks like a very similiar, safe offense requiring very few adjustments on the fly but he cannot play here. Notre Dame plays a spread. Wanna know why this makes QBs look good at Notre Dame? Because the spread gets you in on-on-one matchups allowing the QB to just sling it up there. This will not fly in Cleveland or anywhere else in the league. The atheletes in the NFL will chew you up (see brady quinn's stats).

Clausen? NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

This kid is gonna fall like a rock in the draft. Unless Phil avises Philly to trade up and take him before he gets picked somewhere around 50 or so.

And, to take this even further. Jimmy Clausen is second to Brady Quinn in single season completions, attemtps, and yards. Also, the only better statistical seasons than Jimmy Clausens were Brady Quinn's in '05 and '06.

To me, it sounds exactly like the hype that was around Brady Quinn in college, only with less on the field evidence to prove it. I'm talking numbers. Sure, Jimmy Clausen doesn't look like a fag when he throws, but he also didn't acheive as much on the field.

I'm not against Jimmy Clausen, I'm just against repeating mistakes.

Just what the Browns need... a guy who played for the same Coach and Team as Quinn in college, and did almost as well.

Archived