THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Jimmy Clausen

Zombo

I understand people have favorites, but this kid is no Messiah. He's no savior, he's no Martin Luther King, Jesus Christ, or Easter Bunny. He's just a football player.

Thanks for clearing that up.

He's a football player that we could take with the 7th pick in the draft that might become a good NFL quarterback.

That is, in case you want one of those.

Zombo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not against Jimmy Clausen, I'm just against repeating mistakes.

So ... never draft a QB in the first round again, or just QBs from Notre Dame?

If Sam Bradford is there can we take him, or do we have to pass because Josh Heupel sucked?

Zombo

Or more likely a bust.

That is, in case you DON"T want another one of those.

:P

WSS

Clausen is likely a bust, or drafting a QB in the first round is likely a bust?

Zombo

--seemed to work for Baltimore, Cincy, and Pitt .... but we got burned so let's draft a safety and hope we get lucky some day at QB...

From a different perspective: Quinn with the likes of smargja(sp) and stovall and darius walker two BCS bowl games.....Claussen with the likes of Tate and Floyd and rudolph all going to be high draft picks= no BCS games. The might have the tools but he is a TOOL. You don't get sucker punched as a leader of men! JMO...he doesn't have the qualities of a Leader...pass

Its well established I dont like ND and I dont like Brady....... I dont like media hype and the draft system........ I have been since the draft a prove it first for BQ.

I have watched Jimmy and like Golden Tate I think this kid has what it takes....... he can throw a accurate medium pass with enough fire for the NFL which is something Quinn has always lacked.... Not to mention BALLS.

I like Clausen.......If we can steal him in the second round somehow or low in the first and not pay him some gargantuan amount I like this kid.

I know this is a departure both those two kids from ND and NFL caliber guys imho and both have things we need offensively FIREPOWER......

I really think this kid is a gamer. I am with you on this one Zombo...... as long as we dont pay him a zillion dollars and he does not hurt our cap like top 5 draft picks do I am all for it.

You don't get sucker punched as a leader of men! JMO...he doesn't have the qualities of a Leader...pass

OK, so much for Quinn, but Clausen didn't get punched by one of his "men" he got sucker-punched by a drunk irate fan while he was out to dinner with his girlfriend and parents. How are you not a leader if you get sucker punchedby a fan? If Peyton Manning gets sucker-punched by a fan tomorrow is he no longer a leader?

Should he have punched the fan back? Not following the logic here...

Zombo

Problem is sev....we pick seventh...no way he makes it to the second round....NONE

I know.... it sucks because its such a huge gamble when we have so many glaring needs literally everywhere........ Now if we could trade BQ or DA or both........ well.........its all wishful thinking I try not to think about it.

I am going to agree with other posters..... I dont think Mangini or Holmgren want to dip into the ND qb well again that high in the draft...... BQ still has a BIG following in cleveland..... its shrinking but.....

Call me crazy I think Holmgren might be willing to give DA a shot for a year.... I dont think Mangini or Holmgren are going to keep BQ (this is based on nothing but a "gut") feeling and use the draft to get defensive and possibly a running back or a wide reciever.....

Its well established I dont like ND and I dont like Brady....... I dont like media hype and the draft system........ I have been since the draft a prove it first for BQ.

I have watched Jimmy and like Golden Tate I think this kid has what it takes....... he can throw a accurate medium pass with enough fire for the NFL which is something Quinn has always lacked.... Not to mention BALLS.

I like Clausen.......If we can steal him in the second round somehow or low in the first and not pay him some gargantuan amount I like this kid.

I know this is a departure both those two kids from ND and NFL caliber guys imho and both have things we need offensively FIREPOWER......

I really think this kid is a gamer. I am with you on this one Zombo...... as long as we dont pay him a zillion dollars and he does not hurt our cap like top 5 draft picks do I am all for it.

I can handle him in the 4th because that is a 50/50 pick anyways but no sooner than that. Wies may be a bad head coach but he knows how to make QBs look good. Spread the defense out, get one-on-one's and go with your first read. If there is a good enough WR out there (Tate) he's gonna win some one-on-one matchups. If there is no chance to go deep, dump it off to your RB. Sound familiar?

The bubble screens and flat passes boost completion %. YAC boost yardage, 4 hail mary attempts a game boost TD numbers, and bad DBs playing hard to defend flats and hard to handle bombs keep your int% down. The problem is, ND QBs are not required to make decisions before or after the snap. Its a very simple offense that seems more "genius" than it really is. Look at how confused Brady looks when his first read isn't there or he's just afraid to make the throw. He either takes a sack or dumps it off the the RB, just like Clausen does. The difference is, this is the NFL and those flats get jumped on in an instant and those hail marys better go out of bounds or there getting picked off. Wies' system is a dream system to play in if you're a QB trying to make it to the NFL but it does not translate to the NFL very well. Also, without a few college kids missing tackles or a really good defense, it doesn't translate to very many wins and will eventually get you fired.

Now, imagine what it will be like when Clausen starts failing in the NFL and he already has questionable leadership abilities. Sounds like a Ryan Leaf formula to me. Or at least, he gets a weight thrown at his head. Why is it tat everyone wants to beat up these ND QBs? Is it the inflated egos paired with questionable ability? Whatever it is, I really don't want anything to do with Clausen before the 4th round. But Washington will probably take him with their first.

You don't just get sucker punched for no reason ZOM.... give me a break. And it happened at a bar not a lovely dinner party...lol...PASS!

You are absolutely Retarded. If Dan Marino or Bret Favre got sucker punched by someone in college (not a teammate) ... you wouldn't have drafted them?

There is no logic there.

If you don't want him because he's a quarterback ... fine. If you don't think he is not a good enough QB ... fine. If you simply don't want him because I do ... that's fine too.

But for the Love Of God come up with a better argument than he was sucker punched by a fan one night!

Zombo

he already has questionable leadership abilities.

Questionable by who ... Todd McGay?

Kiper loves him, teammates love him ... sounds like people are looking for holes because they don't want to like him. I don't want to like him either. He's ugly and looks like a penis. I don't like Charlie Weis. I'm tired of us trying to develop a young QB... But we have to. And of the QBs that I see available in the draft, Clausen looks like the best talent to me. He may be a lot of things ... but he is a VERY good passer of the football. We don't need to teach him how to throw NFL passes like we have to with these other two, Clausen is as polished and natural passer as you can expect coming out of college.

I want a guy that can drop back and complete passes all day. Haven't seen it since Kosar. Interestingly, we were in the playoffs all five of Kosar's first five seasons.

Zombo

You are absolutely Retarded. If Dan Marino or Bret Favre

IF... did they?

So you are comparing JC to dan Marino and Brett favre And you call me Retarded...LOLOLOLOLOL LMFAO,ROTFL..... :wacko:

I gave my reasons...he couldn't get it done in a prostyle offense with the likes of Golden Tate , Floyd and Rudolph. No Bowl games with that talent. Whilst BQ took a Suck ND to 2 BCS games with less talent...not to mention what happened to ND after BQ left...epic suckage with JC. Go on and stomp your feet. Claussen doesn't have "Professional", "leader of men" qualities...there is something missing...he has the physical tools....but he is a TOOL. Just like you...lol

The name of this thread should be changed to "I want Jimmy Clausen, reasoning be damned. I am right, and everyone else is wrong"

Since Zombo doesn't like to listen to other people's opinions, I don't feel the need to listen to his. Therefore, Jimmy Clausen is Brady Quinn v.2. There's nothing you can say to convince me otherwise.

Since Zombo doesn't like to listen to other people's opinions,

I listen to them. I just point out when they are Retarded.

I don't care if I'm the only person in Camp Clausen. Just have a vaild reason for not wanting him if you are going to post about not wanting him. I'm sure there are lots of them. But yours were mostly Retarded. As is Solon. Although I think he is drunk.

Zombo

IF... did they?

I don't know if Marino or Favre got punched in college ... and no one would have cared if they did ... that is the whole point. I knew guys that knew Marino at Pitt though, and he was a dope-smoking partyer that did give a shit about leadership or anything else outside of football, pussy and partying. And he turned out Ok. So I'm not going to give up on a prospect because someone punched him. Still laughing at that one...

Zombo

I don't care if I'm the only person in Camp Clausen. Just have a vaild reason for not wanting him if you are going to post about not wanting him. I'm sure there are lots of them. But yours were mostly Retarded. As is Solon. Although I think he is drunk.

Zombo

Mine are actual statistical facts. The fact of the matter is, Clausen was second best to Brady Quinn at ND, with better receivers. They had the same head coach, ran the same offensive system, and Brady Quinn put up better numbers and had a more successful career. At the beginning of the season, people were saying how Jimmy Clausen was a bust at ND, that he wasn't what he was coming out of high school. Then he starts to generate hype as it gets closer to draft time. I'm not falling for the hype again.

Just because Clausen can sometimes make the throws the pros make doesn't mean he's going to be a savior for us or anybody else. I don't believe we should draft him solely because he can make the throws that Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson never could. There's a million other things that also go into the QB position, and for us to draft a QB at 7, he better damn well have all of those attributes. Personally, I don't think Clausen has all the attributes. I don't think he can lead a team. I don't think he maintains his composure under pressure. I think he panics a little too much after he's been hit good once or twice.

Given the proper time, and a proper mentor, Clausen can maybe be pretty good. But we have no QB mentors on our roster, and the only viable QB coach we have is Holmgren, who's going to be pretty busy with his other responsibilities. I trust he could bring in the right guy, sure. But he hasn't brought in anyone for that position yet, so I'm assuming we stay with Carl Smith.

I just don't see the value of getting him at 7, when we can get somebody who's just as unknown that has the same skill set later in the draft.

Clausen is likely a bust, or drafting a QB in the first round is likely a bust?

Zombo

--seemed to work for Baltimore, Cincy, and Pitt .... but we got burned so let's draft a safety and hope we get lucky some day at QB...

There's probably some article about first rounders and success in the pros.

I'll look later but I'll bet that the biggest percentage turn out to be mediocre or worse.

WSS

We need to draft the kid with the Golden Arm, Jimmy Clausen.

He's not tall like Anderson, or mobile like Quinn ... but you know what? Those guys suck.

Clausen is accurate. And as Drew Brees just showed the world ... that's how you move an offense up and down the field and score points.

JC completed 68% of his passes and only threw 4 interceptions last year in Weis' NFL-type passing system.

Sorry guys, I love defense and we have all sorts of needs, but a cornerback is not going to turn this franchise into an elite one, but the right QB might.

I would get rid of Quinn, package him in a trade and get what we can for him ... he doesn't have it.

Anderson could stay as temporary starter until Claussen is ready if he is willing to take a pay cut, otherwise see if we can bring a Bulger or similar vet.

Jimmy Clausen was the best passing QB in the NCAA last year. He's a workout warrior with a great attitude and his teammates and workout partners seem to love him. He's smart, accurate, dilligent, and comes from a famiy of QBs. He could be the next Peyton Manning.

I'm officially throwing my weight behind Clausen. This franchise needs a quarterback.

Zombo

take a deep breath zman

Mine are actual statistical facts. The fact of the matter is, Clausen was second best to Brady Quinn at ND, with better receivers. They had the same head coach, ran the same offensive system, and Brady Quinn put up better numbers and had a more successful career. At the beginning of the season, people were saying how Jimmy Clausen was a bust at ND, that he wasn't what he was coming out of high school. Then he starts to generate hype as it gets closer to draft time. I'm not falling for the hype again.

Just because Clausen can sometimes make the throws the pros make doesn't mean he's going to be a savior for us or anybody else. I don't believe we should draft him solely because he can make the throws that Brady Quinn or Derek Anderson never could. There's a million other things that also go into the QB position, and for us to draft a QB at 7, he better damn well have all of those attributes. Personally, I don't think Clausen has all the attributes. I don't think he can lead a team. I don't think he maintains his composure under pressure. I think he panics a little too much after he's been hit good once or twice.

Given the proper time, and a proper mentor, Clausen can maybe be pretty good. But we have no QB mentors on our roster, and the only viable QB coach we have is Holmgren, who's going to be pretty busy with his other responsibilities. I trust he could bring in the right guy, sure. But he hasn't brought in anyone for that position yet, so I'm assuming we stay with Carl Smith.

I just don't see the value of getting him at 7, when we can get somebody who's just as unknown that has the same skill set later in the draft.

Well, at least that was a good perspective.

I still take a roll on him at #7. keep rolling til we find a good young franchise QB. And bring in a vet like Bulger in the meantime. Our passing offense was so bad last year it could make a grown man cry.

Zombo

I still take a roll on him at #7. keep rolling til we find a good young franchise QB. And bring in a vet like Bulger in the meantime. Our passing offense was so bad last year it could make a grown man cry.

Zombo

I can understand why you would want to take a shot on him. Really, I get it. Our QB woes have been going on for so long, we need to start taking some shots.

The thing I think about most is : "How could we have busted on so many QB draft picks ?" Since we drafted Phipps in 1970, we've had 18 QB's taken in the NFL Draft (not counting the Supplemental Draft). Of those 18, there have been two first rounders (Quinn and Couch), three 3rd rounders, four 4th rounders, two 6th rounders, one 7th rounder, one 9th rounder, two 11th rounders, two 12th rounders, and one 13th rounder. In 40 years, we've drafted a total number of three first round QBs. Maybe it's time we take a shot on another.

Zombo

It made this grown man cry just about every week.

Zombo

So you are comparing Jimmy Claussen to dan Marino and Brett favre And you call me Retarded(now drunk)...LOLOLOLOLOL LMFAO,ROTFL..... :wacko:

Classic

So you are comparing Jimmy Claussen to dan Marino and Brett favre And you call me Retarded(now drunk)...LOLOLOLOLOL LMFAO,ROTFL..... :wacko:

Classic

How did I compare him to them?

All I know is that he'll be drafted higher than either of them. Even after (gasp!) getting punched by someone.

Zombo

How did I compare him to them?

All I know is that he'll be drafted higher than either of them. Even after (gasp!) getting punched by someone.

Zombo

The entertainment value of Camp Clausen when it penetrates Skippy's skin is gonna be 2nd to none. Furthermore, it's gonna have Irish Beer sporting a Fighting Irish QB and Zombo's Irish blood pitching it. For old time sake, I gotta get Shep back here endorsing this QB. Those blonde haired QBs just gag Skippy into a Springer-level throwdowns. Meanwhile those Notre Dame QBs get the Lancelot armor on Loverboy as he battles to defend his king DA. If that's not enough, I like how close to Valentine's Day this camp tent got pitched.

Even though I've gone on record stating I'm not a Clausen fan - I LIKE the way Zombo presented and backed his arguement. Bradford looks like the only 1st round alternative; and he's overcoming a serious injury. There's no guarantee with him either in the crapshoot we call the draft. FWIW, I think Zombo's looking at supply and demand folks and there aren't tree branches with studs dangling on them just for the Celeveland browns. I'd REALLY like to see a different VET here like Pennington who KNOWS the Jets offense we are trying to run. He's rumored to be the OLD man out in Miami w/Thigpen arriving there as the backup in 09. If we add Pennington, then we can draft the best available rookie on our doorstep.

This entire debate could be a moot point because there's 6 teams drafting before us and 3 or 4 of them REALLY need to draft a QB. I've been reading alot of fan interest in Dez Bryant for our 7th slot recently. Personally, I like Spiller or Haden/Berry better. That said, if we went the route of Bryant - what would suck about adding Oklahoma Stat6e's Zac Robinson in a mid-late round? He looked like the best QB to me at the Senior Bowl, he started for 3 years and made first round prospects out of (TE) Brandon Pettigrew and now (WR) Dez Bryant. The COOL thing would be there's already a chemistry established with Robinson and Bryant if things should go that way.

- Tom F.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A very interesting pro day for Clausen:

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Former Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen tried to show NFL teams Friday he is worth a first-round draft pick, though he's still not 100 percent healthy three months after surgery to repair torn tendons in his right foot.

Clausen didn't run during the 30-minute throwing session attended by 16 of the 32 NFL teams. He completed 57-of-59 passes, overthrowing wide receiver Robby Parris on two long routes. His receivers also needed to make some nice catches on several other throws, with former Notre Dame running back James Aldridge twisting back to catch a short pass on his shoulder and former Irish receiver David Grimes speeding up to make a fingertip grab on a 50-yard pass.

Clausen said he wanted to be able to show he could drive the ball. He said his toe feels fine, but the top of his ankle is weak after being in a boot for eight weeks.

"I need to keep getting that stronger," he said.

Clausen played the final nine games this past season with two torn tendons in his right foot, which he said were misdiagnosed as turf toe. He said he has been told by doctors he should have had surgery the day after he was injured against Michigan State on Sept. 19 and sat out the rest of the season.

Clausen ran for the first time on March 22, when he jogged two times around a track. He hopes to be 100 percent in about a month.

St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo, whose team owns the first pick overall, wouldn't give much away after watching the workout other than saying he was pleased with what he's seen from Clausen, Sam Bradford and Colt McCoy.

"They're all very impressive. I think we knew that going in," he said.

Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell was more specific about what he thought about Clausen's workout.

"I thought he made some nice throws. He really did a good job for himself in terms of the types of balls that he threw. He threw some deep corner routes, he threw some comebacks, it gives you an opportunity to see how the ball comes out," he said.

Some rating services have Clausen as the No. 4 player overall, ahead of Bradford. Others believe Clausen might fall to later in the first round like former Irish quarterback Brady Quinn did in 2007, when he was taken with the 22nd pick by the Cleveland Browns.

Clausen has already met with the Browns and Washington Redskins and is scheduled to meet with the Buffalo Bills and the Rams. Clausen is also scheduled to do a private workout with the Redskins next week.

Since the surgery in early January, Clausen has prepared for the draft by lifting weights in California and throwing passes to a variety of receivers, including two former USC players, safety Taylor Mays and defensive end Everson Griffen.

Clausen said he hasn't decided if he'll be in New York for the draft, saying he doesn't know what will happen on April 22.

"I could go top five, top 10, I could go in the second round, I really don't know," he said. "My name's going to get called and I'm going to have a lot of fun."

Some rating services have Clausen as the No. 4 player overall, ahead of Bradford. Others believe Clausen might fall to later in the first round like former Irish quarterback Brady Quinn did in 2007, when he was taken with the 22nd pick by the Cleveland Browns.

I'll admit that I was happy to see the Browns aggressively get back into the first round and draft Quinn, but lessons learned. I would not want to see us re-enter the first round and take another QB that is free-falling in the draft.

Archived