THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Jimmy Clausen

Zombo

I just cant see us taking a QB in the first round, unless somehow in the weird wonderful world of the Browns me magically produce Bradford into our first pick, but that is not going to happen. I normally expect a 1st round QB to either expect to start from day one of the new season or at most sit out one year and be starter the following year, but I can see a similar situation happening again here in Cleveland this year with Delhomme producing a very good year just like Anderson in 2007, therefore staying as our QB for the following year also, and I just cant see Jimmy Clausen being happy with being in that position, at least if it were a 2nd or 3rd round QB we chose he would be less likely to expect to be starting straight away.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll admit that I was happy to see the Browns aggressively get back into the first round and draft Quinn, but lessons learned. I would not want to see us re-enter the first round and take another QB that is free-falling in the draft.

I would be all for moving into the first to get McCoy though, and I think that is definitely something they are looking at. If they can swing a trade down to gain another second, they can use that second to get back into the first. Another words we could have two picks in the later first round and take BPA and McCoy, while still keeping our draft in tack for all the other needs. Also, we avoid paying top ten money.

Clausen is likely a bust, or drafting a QB in the first round is likely a bust?

Zombo

--seemed to work for Baltimore, Cincy, and Pitt .... but we got burned so let's draft a safety and hope we get lucky some day at QB...

So you're suggesting we just keep drafting qbs in the first round until we luck out? Regardless of talent level?

Sure, let's just draft a qb from Delaware, USC, or Miami Ohio. Unless you can guarantee me he's the next Joe Montana, we're not taking Clausen Pickle. Certainly not @ #7 overall. Certainly not after we just rode the last ND wunderkid (who incidentally had better college stats) out of town on a rail. Freaking PR nightmare- Straight Shooter Holmgren has already indicated he's not interested- so time will tell if he's just blowing serious smoke.

So the question needs to be asked- do we reach at a position of need when everybody and their uncle says 2010 is a real weak qb class? So do it the right way shore up the pathetic D with BPA, and then go shopping in the lower rounds (you do remember Super Joe was a third round pick, don't you?)

Finally, I'll be happy to mail you my pre 2009 season Sporting News issue that has Jimmie on the cover stating " Charlie Weiss will NOT get fired because of me." .500 and wrongo bongo, kiddo.

I'll admit that I was happy to see the Browns aggressively get back into the first round and draft Quinn, but lessons learned. I would not want to see us re-enter the first round and take another QB that is free-falling in the draft.

The ONLY question I have is if he CAN'T beat anyone he's not supposed to in college WITH this alleged "pro style" offense - HOW is he going to do this with an overmatched NFL offense drafting early BECAUSE the cupboards are bare?

I was one of the ones with a hook in my mouth for Couch. "Look guys - Couch threw 5 TDs against Florida." That's nice Flugel because Florida's offense ended the day with about 58 points. The Jay Cutlers of the NFL SUCK when there's 1st half pressure to hang with the scoring pace of the opponents. Hence, too many games get out of hand in the 1st 30 minutes so they have WAY too many opportunities to post up junktime stats on games they didn't compete the first 30 minutes. I remembered asking Jay Cutler's biggest fan don't you HAVE to see some degree of evidence he CAN win if that's the ONLY reason he's being drafted and handed double digit millions of $?

Bottom line: Jimmy Clausen's Head Coach got fired because he LOST to beatable teams like Michigan, Navy, Stanford, Pitt and others consistently in the last 3 years. I look at other years and they got swept by the 3 Military Academies. Clausen also had 17 INTs in 2008. I think Golden Tate's YAC covered up alot of Clausen's YUCK. Not for nothing but ND's biggest rival is supposed to be USC - he was just as winless against them as Brady Quinn. And then I see an overmatched team like Stanford beat USC 2 of the last 3 years. WHO's putting their QB in the top 10 because he runs a "pro style?"

I don't want another over-hyped pretty blonde that needs prevent defenses to shine. Been there - done that! Take an ugly basterd like Colt McCoy at bargain prices later instead of flushing another top 10 pick down the drain. When we get this defense eggs-actly like we want it - we'll give whoever plays QB here the margin of error he needs manage the game. No more hotshots that polarize the dawgpound and turn us into prozac nation on game day. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Tom F.

I don't care if he can throw like Peyton Manning.

He is not very mature, that right there lends itself to probable problems later.

The Browns will never draft another ND qb who ends up getting punched in the face in

the locker room, for whatever reason.

It is not the year to draft a qb in the top ten, imho.

Clausen won't happen.

You had me at "supposed" and "alleged" ... if only you would have listened to me make this same pich in 1998.

We want a kid that is gonna come up grab us by the balls, squeeze, and let us know that they are our bitch. These Clausen fag types need to go from our though process.

Besides, Zippy endorsed the guy, he's destine to be a bust.

For what it's worth, Quinn and Clausen are different QBs... just because they both played at ND doesn't mean we're going to see the same result.

fair point, but consider this. Both were schooled by the same coach under the same offense and one did not fit the Browns style. So why should the other ?

Quinn was terribly unprepared for the NFL...despite all this pro style hype bs. Pickle learned from the same failed coach in the same failed system. I would think mangini wants no part of that trainwreck.

• 1 year later...

Sorry Zombo but he sucks.

When you bumped this thread I thought it was going to be Ghoolie gloating. If you actually speed read through it, there were a bunch of us who were dead set against drafting the Pickle. I was leading the charge. :) Mainly because I hate Notre Dame, and guys drafted out of that school lately haven't done much in the Pros.

Hey Ghoolie I said draft a cornerback, so how's Joe Haden working out for us? :)

Archived