THE BROWNS BOARD

Why LeBron isn't Going Anywhere Next Year

bonedawg

As Cavs fans, most of us are getting really tired of the "Will LeBron leave Cleveland?" talk by the media. We are in the middle of a season that will most likely end deep into the playoffs or hopefully with a championship, and the first words on everyone's lips is what is going to happen after this season. Hell, I just read an op-ed from some jack-off Clippers sportswriter saying the Clippers should go after LBJ. Seriously? The effing Clippers?!?! Keep dreaming that dream. LeBron isn't going anywhere next year, especially if we win the championship and here is why.

1. His star can't burn any brighter. At this point, moving to NYC does nothing to increase his star power. He is bigger than NYC. Does anyone think that if he moves to NYC that thousands of people will suddenly say "Who is this LeBron fellow? He sure is a good ball player." Everyone and their grandmother knows Lebron.

2. Knicks and Nets both suck. Why would he want to leave a team on the brink of a championship to play for bottom feeders. The Nets have won 5 games this entire season so far. The Cavs are currently on a 13 game winning streak.

3. Moving teams won't increase his endorsement money, winning a championship will.

4. Now I understand why people would want to move out of Akron, I don't blame him for that, but he is a local kid. He may not have been a fan of the Cavs growing up, but he is a fan of his family and friends that want to see a Championship in Cleveland.

5. Gilbert will throw bags of money at LBJ to keep him.

There are more, but I had to stop at some point. It just pisses me off that as soon as a Cleveland team gets anything good, the only talk is about when it will all fall apart.

As Cavs fans, most of us are getting really tired of the "Will LeBron leave Cleveland?" talk by the media. We are in the middle of a season that will most likely end deep into the playoffs or hopefully with a championship, and the first words on everyone's lips is what is going to happen after this season. Hell, I just read an op-ed from some jack-off Clippers sportswriter saying the Clippers should go after LBJ. Seriously? The effing Clippers?!?! Keep dreaming that dream. LeBron isn't going anywhere next year, especially if we win the championship and here is why.

1. His star can't burn any brighter. At this point, moving to NYC does nothing to increase his star power. He is bigger than NYC. Does anyone think that if he moves to NYC that thousands of people will suddenly say "Who is this LeBron fellow? He sure is a good ball player." Everyone and their grandmother knows Lebron.

2. Knicks and Nets both suck. Why would he want to leave a team on the brink of a championship to play for bottom feeders. The Nets have won 5 games this entire season so far. The Cavs are currently on a 13 game winning streak.

3. Moving teams won't increase his endorsement money, winning a championship will.

4. Now I understand why people would want to move out of Akron, I don't blame him for that, but he is a local kid. He may not have been a fan of the Cavs growing up, but he is a fan of his family and friends that want to see a Championship in Cleveland.

5. Gilbert will throw bags of money at LBJ to keep him.

There are more, but I had to stop at some point. It just pisses me off that as soon as a Cleveland team gets anything good, the only talk is about when it will all fall apart.

Good points all, but I'll focus on #2 & #5.

LeBron wants to win multiple championships, so scratch the Nets off the list right now- they're as bad as the pre-James Cavaliers, and LBJ will hardly want to waste 3 more years of his career going to another rebuild project. RE: the Knicks- excuse me, I'd put even money the Cavs bench could beat the Knicks starters, assuming Z comes back. Even if the NY fans Fantasy Island dreams come true, and they could somehow get LeBron and say Bosh or Stoudemire, they still don't have enough firepower to beat the Lakers- and LBJ is certainly smart enough to realize that.

RE: #5- the Cavs can offer LeBron a bigger max contract than anyone else.

well its cuz we are so use to it happening when ever cleveland gets someone good they trade them or dont bother to keep them so untill we see something differnet we cant expect it

Dan, there has never been anyone as big as LBJ in cleveland period none of the other guys are even close to the amount of world fame this guy has, and with that fame he gets more money than he could even dream of spending + we have the bird rights to him for the free agency which means we can give him a max contract which is more then anyone else can give him.

please, don't compare dan gilbert to the dolan's. just because the indians let people go without paying them doesn't mean gilbert will do the samething. gilbert is already paying alot in luxury tax to make sure lbj has the best chance possible to win it all. gilbert is doing everything he can financially to support the cavs.

the problem with some cleveland fans is that they try to connect the past misfortunes to every situation regardless of what. gilbert aint the dolan's, gilbert has put his money where his mouth is and i for one don't understand how someone can't see that.

i know this but im just saying we have lost a lot of ppl and to point one out manny no he is not lebron but he was huge in mlb and known around the mlb world and we just let him walk so i have my rights to be a skeptic i just hope for the best but brace for the worst

Dude...get a grip! You are seriously depressing!!! I thank God that I don't have to spend a single second of my day in your sad little world! What happend in the past, with OTHER franchises, is IN THE PAST!!! This is a new era, a different franchise, and a TOTALLY new situation! Lebron has...how do I put this clearly...NO REASON TO LEAVE!!!!! What part of that don't you understand? And Dan Gilbert is giving him EVERYTHING he asks for in order to keep him here (ie...Shaq...Jamison...even Mo)! If Lebron asks for something else, GILGERT WILL GIVE IT TO HIM!!! That's the differend between now and the past! We have an owner that will do WHATEVER it takes to keep Lebron and to keep a winning team on the court!

Dude...get a grip! You are seriously depressing!!! I thank God that I don't have to spend a single second of my day in your sad little world! What happend in the past, with OTHER franchises, is IN THE PAST!!! This is a new era, a different franchise, and a TOTALLY new situation! Lebron has...how do I put this clearly...NO REASON TO LEAVE!!!!! What part of that don't you understand? And Dan Gilbert is giving him EVERYTHING he asks for in order to keep him here (ie...Shaq...Jamison...even Mo)! If Lebron asks for something else, GILGERT WILL GIVE IT TO HIM!!! That's the differend between now and the past! We have an owner that will do WHATEVER it takes to keep Lebron and to keep a winning team on the court!

thankyou! let me also add that gilbert built a very sweet cavs facility in indedendence, oh. (something he didn't have to do) and he did a great job with the cavs locker room to. he spends money to make the cavs a world class orginization. add to that the chinese minority ownership team gilbert is trying to bring in (awaiting nba approval) which will make this team INTERNATIONAL.

The tough part is, the press won't let it go until there's a definitive answer.

Even if the Cavs win the NBA Championship, the very next question before LBJ gets off the court, I promise you, will be "Hey so are you gonna be back next year??!?".

If it's even a marginally long process in negotiation during the off season, there will be hours and hours of interviews, articles, discussions and press spots dedicated to whether or not random xxx expert person believes LBJ will be back next year.

Just gotta move past it and focus on the current season, which is what every person in that lockerroom and front office has to deal with.

And for the record, I agree that LBJ has ZERO reason to leave Cleveland and they're doing everything they possibly can to keep him. LBJ isn't stupid and he won't go somewhere that would destroy his career (Nets/Nicks), regardless of how much money they try to throw at him.

The tough part is, the press won't let it go until there's a definitive answer.

Even if the Cavs win the NBA Championship, the very next question before LBJ gets off the court, I promise you, will be "Hey so are you gonna be back next year??!?".

If it's even a marginally long process in negotiation during the off season, there will be hours and hours of interviews, articles, discussions and press spots dedicated to whether or not random xxx expert person believes LBJ will be back next year.

Just gotta move past it and focus on the current season, which is what every person in that lockerroom and front office has to deal with.

And for the record, I agree that LBJ has ZERO reason to leave Cleveland and they're doing everything they possibly can to keep him. LBJ isn't stupid and he won't go somewhere that would destroy his career (Nets/Nicks), regardless of how much money they try to throw at him.

agreed.

Whats the one thing that all the NBA legends have in common? It's that they stayed with their prospective teams virtually their whole careers. If LeBron truly wants to be the greatest player in NBA history, what better way than to turn around our franchise into a powerhouse basketball team for years?

The media is completely desperate to get him out of Cleveland. I can't figure it out. Why?

The most unbelievable story I have ever read on the subject was today on SI. I'll post it:

The Mavericks were busy at the trade deadline, but will their dealing lead to landing LeBron James? They definitely will be sniffing around this summer, though how things go in the next three or four months in Cleveland, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Denver, Miami and Toronto will go a long way toward determining who ends up where. If Cleveland wins the NBA title, LeBron James isn't going anywhere. If the Cavaliers get busted in the second round, he might have a tour to allow suitors a chance to wine and dine and woo him. By the way, if the Mavericks can get LeBron for Butler and Dampier, they would do it in one second. In fact, they would probably let the Cavaliers pick anybody on the team not named Dirk, with the possible exception of Jason Kidd, and do the deal.

LINK

The best line is the one about how Dallas, "Might even give up Jason Kidd" for LeBron if they could right now. :lol:

Is this for real. Dallas would give thier whole team up for LeBron if they could. But according to this they wouldn't do it FOR DIRK! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? :huh:

Is this guy living in some sort of world where you can apparently trade for free-agents? This was on SI. They pick out articles from other newspapers and stuff and they came up with this?

How about the Knicks? After this Tracy McGrady trade, they have four bad players under contract next year and they have one late first round pick in the next THREE YEARS. Wait though, I heard this Gallinari guy could be the next NBA superstar.

The Nets have won five games this year. Hey, that can only go up right.

The Clippers have cap space. I think LeBron will jump all over that deal. Talk about a franchise that has proven in the past that they can surround a superstar with talent and go all the way. This trade for Drew Gooden put them over the top.

And as mentioned previously, the Dallas Mavericks are fully willing to give up CARON BUTLER AND ERIC DAMPIER FOR LEBRON IF THEY COULD. WOW! They must really want him. He can't pass up a team that wants him that much can he.

I usually don't let the media bug me but their obsessiveness over driving LeBron out of Cleveland is sickening. If he signs a three year deal we will only hear about 2014.

Can you imagine the media circus if LeBron leaves?

Oh man, we can interview Cleveland fans, Cleveland coaches, the Cavs owner, everyone involved with whatever team he went to. It would be the biggest deal of the decade and one of the biggest moves in the history of the NBA. The sports media thrives on it. That's why they so desparately want a story like that.

There was a great article on ESPN though, basically saying: Hey look, you guys cleared some cap space. Good for you. Too bad it won't mean anything because LBJ isn't going anywhere.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

Then brace for the harsh reality that this will be the most heartbreaking summer in NBA history. Six teams have cleared sufficient salary-cap room to offer a maximum contract to free agents this summer: the Knicks, Bulls, Heat, Nets, Clippers and Wizards. And it's possible none of them ends up with LeBron James. Or else he does go somewhere, disappoints the other five suitors and absolutely devastates the city of Cleveland.

By the way, if the Mavericks can get LeBron for Butler and Dampier, they would do it in one second. In fact, they would probably let the Cavaliers pick anybody on the team not named Dirk, with the possible exception of Jason Kidd, and do the deal.

Holy Shit! If the Cavs can get the likes of Butler and Dampier for LeBron, Ferry needs to pull the trigger right away! If we can land those guys, can you say dynasty? :blink: That article sounds like a serious piece of delusional fiction from a desperate dallas sportswriter. Like I said in my original post, I don't believe LBJ is going anywhere. Staying silent just drives up the price the Cavs are willing to pay to keep him. Negotiation tactics 101. However, IF he did land anywhere, I could see him having some motivation to play for the Heat. D-Wade is his boy and LBJ has said publicly he'd like to play with Wade, and c'mon, it's Miami, who wouldn't want to live there.

I'll add a few thoughts. I hope he stays but I don't think it is all that set in stone.

First the money. I don't think us being able to offer him the biggest deal is all that much of an advantage. At some point, and I think he is there, the amount of money isn't all that important.

I almost think he is nearing the point where he would be willing to take less to help his team get other parts to the puzzle, so I just don't see money being "the" deciding factor. It's not like we can offer something great and everyone else will only be able to offer league minimum.

Other teams "suck' factor.

Face it, James takes any team from the suck level to a pretty darn good level, so I don't think he is going to see it as having to waste 3 years of his career for a rebuild somewhere else.

Right now i think what we do this year is going to be key. If we win, the chances are good he stays. If we lose, I am not going to say the chances are good he leaves, but the chance is enhanced.

We have had a pretty good team 3 years running right now. We have taken our shots to win the crown and for one reason or another haven't, so it is possible James sees the Cavs window as closing and very well could decide if we couldn't get it done with what we had and what we have tried to do, he may decide it just isn't going to happen here.

The Knicks are in a pretty good position to take a run at James and a player like Bosch.

While I hope he stays and still think the odds favor him doing so, I wouldn't be so sure.

A few more thoughts.

Take James off the Cavs. Are we a championship contender??

No. We might have a hard time being a middle seed playoff team.

Also factor in age at center. Shaq isn't going to play all that long and you can expect his play to slip for as long as he does.

Z....he isn't young, and isn't even on the team at the moment.

We have been building for the here and now.....which I agree with. However, if it doesn't produce a championship you end up having to pay the piper in that you have little room for improvement over the next few seasons since you have traded young players or have traded away draft choices. Pretty soon you have nothing to deal and nothing on which to build.

I'll add a few thoughts. I hope he stays but I don't think it is all that set in stone.

First the money. I don't think us being able to offer him the biggest deal is all that much of an advantage. At some point, and I think he is there, the amount of money isn't all that important.

I almost think he is nearing the point where he would be willing to take less to help his team get other parts to the puzzle, so I just don't see money being "the" deciding factor. It's not like we can offer something great and everyone else will only be able to offer league minimum.

Other teams "suck' factor.

Face it, James takes any team from the suck level to a pretty darn good level, so I don't think he is going to see it as having to waste 3 years of his career for a rebuild somewhere else.

Right now i think what we do this year is going to be key. If we win, the chances are good he stays. If we lose, I am not going to say the chances are good he leaves, but the chance is enhanced.

We have had a pretty good team 3 years running right now. We have taken our shots to win the crown and for one reason or another haven't, so it is possible James sees the Cavs window as closing and very well could decide if we couldn't get it done with what we had and what we have tried to do, he may decide it just isn't going to happen here.

The Knicks are in a pretty good position to take a run at James and a player like Bosch.

While I hope he stays and still think the odds favor him doing so, I wouldn't be so sure.

why would james, at his age, want to go somewhere else to start over with dysfunctional teams like nj or ny when he has a very functional team here in cleveland? there's no debating that gilbert, ferry and brown are a great fo and that would be hard to find elsewhere especially with the teams that are aiming for him.

also, how can anyone say the cavs window is closing? huh?????? and the nets and knicks windows are opening? I HAVE YET TO HEAR ANYONE PRESENT A LEGIT REASON FOR LBJ TO LEAVE CLEVELAND. to leave would be absolutely foolish and i don't think lbj is foolish. i'm not guaranteeing anything, but i am stating some solid facts.

lbj is a very loyal person to his family (teammates). he could've bolted from svsm to a more lavish school (oakhill academy), but he stayed with his fam and they got it done together. the reasons for lbj to stay far outweigh the reasons to leave.

A few more thoughts.

Take James off the Cavs. Are we a championship contender??

No. We might have a hard time being a middle seed playoff team.

Also factor in age at center. Shaq isn't going to play all that long and you can expect his play to slip for as long as he does.

Z....he isn't young, and isn't even on the team at the moment.

We have been building for the here and now.....which I agree with. However, if it doesn't produce a championship you end up having to pay the piper in that you have little room for improvement over the next few seasons since you have traded young players or have traded away draft choices. Pretty soon you have nothing to deal and nothing on which to build.

the whole "take lbj off of the cavs" argument is overused and weak. take kobe, dwight howard, wade, bosh, durant, etc. off of their teams and how would they be?? EXACTLY!!

the age factor for the cavs is that they have like 3 or 4 players that are up in age. boobie, jj, lbj, danny green, jawad, av, mo, d west, powe and moon (who isn't that old and in very good shape) are just fine age wise.

the cavs haven't traded any young players and they only traded next seasons 1st rd pick which probably doesn't have much value at the spot the cavs will be picking from.

Think what you want.

Why would he want to leave...I spelled it out as far as I know. Other then that, you'd have to ask him.

As for window of opportunity...I thought i spelled that out as well??

It doesn't take a keen mind to know teams only have so many legit chances.

Take Shaq and Z....what happens when they run out of gas next year or the year after??

NY just landed a pretty good player....say they add James and Bosch....who is the favorite then??

I am not trying to spell gloom and doom here, but really, a few of you need to pull your heads out of the sand.

Believe it or not, James might leave.

Think what you want.

Why would he want to leave...I spelled it out as far as I know. Other then that, you'd have to ask him.

As for window of opportunity...I thought i spelled that out as well??

It doesn't take a keen mind to know teams only have so many legit chances.

Take Shaq and Z....what happens when they run out of gas next year or the year after??

NY just landed a pretty good player....say they add James and Bosch....who is the favorite then??

I am not trying to spell gloom and doom here, but really, a few of you need to pull your heads out of the sand.

Believe it or not, James might leave.

t-mac is weak, injury prone and i still haven't heard any legit reasons for lbj to leave. you may think you presented a good case, but you didn't. believe whatever you want though. i'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

the whole "take lbj off of the cavs" argument is overused and weak. take kobe, dwight howard, wade, bosh, durant, etc. off of their teams and how would they be?? EXACTLY!!

the age factor for the cavs is that they have like 3 or 4 players that are up in age. boobie, jj, lbj, danny green, jawad, av, mo, d west, powe and moon (who isn't that old and in very good shape) are just fine age wise.

the cavs haven't traded any young players and they only traded next seasons 1st rd pick which probably doesn't have much value at the spot the cavs will be picking from.

Exactly. Take Wade off the Heat and they're a lottery team- they may even be one with Dwayne on the team. Anybody pay attention tonight? Oh, you forgot to mention Hixon and Andy. With Shaq in the locker room, and Z (who may well retire should the Cavs win it this year) not even on the team the Cavs just beat the even older Celtics by 27 points in the second half.

The Cavs are so loaded LeBron would have to be out of his mind to even think of going anywhere else.

my mom works at mckinley high school in canton and one of her co-workers is a guy who dated lebron's mom and was one of his father figures growing up. lebron still talks to this guy and he says that lebron isn't going anywhere. lebron knows that if he goes to new york or anywhere else that he would have nobody to trust and wants to keep his group of friends around him. he's staying.

my mom works at mckinley high school in canton and one of her co-workers is a guy who dated lebron's mom and was one of his father figures growing up. lebron still talks to this guy and he says that lebron isn't going anywhere. lebron knows that if he goes to new york or anywhere else that he would have nobody to trust and wants to keep his group of friends around him. he's staying.

Lebron's mom gave me a hummer.

And she said he isn't going anywhere either.

Zombo

I debated starting a new thread over this, but I decided not to. Tonight's beat-down of the Knicks should permanently shut up the delusional New York media there's a snowballs chance in hell LeBron would want to play there next year. They're hanging on that he likes the Yankees, and likes playing in MSG. Sorry, but LBJ likes winning more, and if Mike Brown hadn't called off the dogs and played the end of the bench (the Cavs were up by 49 at one point and James & most of the starters sat the 4th quarter) the NBA record 68 point loss Miami took would have been in serious jeopardy.

Yeah- the Knicks are competitive- with Cleveland's second string. Even with LBJ and (pick another max contract, any one of your choosing) the Knicks wouldn't be good enough to get out of the East next year- not by a long shot. LeBron's not going to a rebuild project. If I'm Lebron, I'd rather take his current supporting cast than Bosh/Wade and a bunch of stiffs.

BTW, not that I love Charles Barkley, but he was saying Shaq would slow down LeBron. Hmmmm...... With him and Z out of the lineup, the Cavs could play Rabbit Ball, and I sure liked the results. If the Knicks game was any indication, we have nothing to worry about until Shaq and Z get back. The Cavs only have 2 games against playoff teams (the Spurs and Celtics, both at home) until Z hopefully returns on the 21st. And they only have a pair of games against Atlanta, one against the Celtics, one against the Spurs (away) and one against the Magic (home) after that.

The only thing the Cavs are in danger of losing with Shaq out is potential home court in the finals against the Lakers. Some one else pointed out if the Cavs go 14-7 in the final 21 games, the Magic about have to go undefeated to catch them- and that's not going to happen. They've still got a game against the Lakers, and a back to back road special in April against the Spurs and Mavs.

And just one more reason........

NY TIMES ARTICLE

and another:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont...?urn=nba,225246

He only needs to petition the league for a number change if he stays in Cleveland ... obviously he is strongly considering that.

Zombo

--Screw New York

and another:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont...?urn=nba,225246

He only needs to petition the league for a number change if he stays in Cleveland ... obviously he is strongly considering that.

Zombo

--Screw New York

Agreed, screw NY!

I used to enjoy watching PTI on ESPN but Tony Cornholio's constant snide, arrogant NY remarks like "the countdown to Lebron in NY is on" or "Lebron is wearing a Knickerbockers uniform next year" "why wouldn't he want to be in NY?" just got too much to tolerate anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Dwayne already won a championship in Miami. Why wouldn't he want to move to Cleveland?

THE RACE FOR DWAYNE IS ON!

Instead of talking about how LeBron's going to leave, why don't the Cleveland sportswriters start talking about how many other All-Stars will join LeBron? Next year I'm looking forward to LeBron having a Bill Simmons-style Eff You season.

Archived