THE BROWNS BOARD

Dawging the Browns?

daydawg19

So much for big free-agent splashes

By Sean McClelland | Friday, February 19, 2010, 11:58 PM

Looks like the Browns are imposing a salary cap on themselves, following the Steelers’ lead as we approach an uncapped year leaguewide.

In other words, don’t expect new president Mike Holmgren to start throwing owner Randy Lerner’s money around without careful thought. In other words, don’t expect any major runs at Julius Peppers, Karlos Dansby, etc.

In an interview this week with the Lake County News-Herald, Holmgren said he intends to build through the draft while being “very selective” in free agency, echoing just about every previous Browns executive who has walked through the door in Berea.

“I think that’s how you build it,” Holmgren told the newspaper. “We’re not going to do things a whole lot different than what has been done in the past.

“We’re going to do what we think is best for the Cleveland Browns. If that means signing somebody in free agency, we’re going to do that. We’re going to do what we think is best, but also be responsible.”

Yep, looks like a long rebuild. Anyone think otherwise?

“I think that’s how you build it,” Holmgren told the newspaper. “We’re not going to do things a whole lot different than what has been done in the past.

Well - it's worked for us so far.....(please read with a sarcastic tone)

I guess they are going with the "IF it's broke, why fix it" approach

This could be truth or Holmgren is feigning interest while really pursuing guys. Just gotta see how it plays out.

I think MH speaks openly and honestly he realizes that the next peppers is somewhere in the draft for a whole lot less money and much more tread on the tires, imho building from the draft with great scouting and a model plan while using FA very diligently to stay somewhat competitive and provide a veteran presence to the youth while the team is building and learning is the way to go....im really excited about the browns future! ;)

I think MH speaks openly and honestly he realizes that the next peppers is somewhere in the draft for a whole lot less money and much more tread on the tires, imho building from the draft with great scouting and using FA very diligently to stay somewhat competitive and provide a veteran presence to the youth while the team is building and learning is the way to go....im really excited about the browns future! ;)

I'd like the addition of Peppers, I won't lie, but I agree with you 100%. Look at the Steelers, we may hate them, but how many times have they really made a big move in FA?

Same, I really want the draft to get here so I see what direction we're really taking.

They will go after some free agent players that aren't on the way downhill yet, that is fine. I don't want them bringing in guys who are remembered for what they used to do.

We have some obvious holes but there are also some talented players here. You get three starters (not stars) in free agency and with a very good draft you have a much better team. Do the same thing the following year and you have a legitimate playoff team.

it sounds to me that mh is saying they'll spend the loot on a fa if it will help the browns, but they aren't going to over spend on a player foolishly (ex. like savage did on da and donte). i think some people are reading way too much into this and are drawing the wrong conclusion.

They way I read it, is that they will draft the same high-profile players, but expect to get much more out of them through coaching. It isn't like we reached and grabbed guys in the top-6 picks who were slotted for the third round. We took a lot of "everyones darlings" and they didn't work out because we never taught them how to be pro's, never had the right mentors, or coaching to bring them along at this level. Our system was lame and new players just fell right into the same traps. Put together a winning system that these young players can breed in and we will go much farther.

They way I read it, is that they will draft the same high-profile players, but expect to get much more out of them through coaching. It isn't like we reached and grabbed guys in the top-6 picks who were slotted for the third round. We took a lot of "everyones darlings" and they didn't work out because we never taught them how to be pro's, never had the right mentors, or coaching to bring them along at this level. Our system was lame and new players just fell right into the same traps. Put together a winning system that these young players can breed in and we will go much farther.

this may be a little premature but i prefer the current culture so far after seeing just one year of it over any other one since the Browns' return.

BE & K2 are long gone but we're getting some welcome new production out of the great-charactered Wimbley.

my take on the S.A.T. culture/theory: Smart, Athletic, Tough, Character, Culture, Discipline.

most everybody in the NFL is adequately athletic...but they're not all smart. having this component potentially wins all physical ties. since it also enables for more complex schemes, wrinkles, and opponent specific gameplans--and you're only as strong as your weakest link--making them all smart makes a lot of sense to me.

the great thing about toughness is once it's installed, it's usually contagious. it's the antithesis of prima dona behavior, which has thankfully been eradicated.

a good dose of discipline requires sufficient character and intellect for that discipline not to be a problem. once the players understand the model and "get it" EM can loosen the reins a bit, further improving team atmosphere and earning additional player respect. this also often creates player accountability, helps their maturity, and can add team value to the individual.

heart comes with cohesion, solidarity, brotherhood, and pride. i think we're also the closest i can remember being to that since the 80s. sad to say that but so far so good at least.

this may be a little premature but i prefer the current culture so far after seeing just one year of it over any other one since the Browns' return.

BE & K2 are long gone but we're getting some welcome new production out of the great-charactered Wimbley.

my take on the S.A.T. culture/theory: Smart, Athletic, Tough, Character, Culture, Discipline.

most everybody in the NFL is adequately athletic...but they're not all smart. having this component potentially wins all physical ties. since it also enables for more complex schemes, wrinkles, and opponent specific gameplans--and you're only as strong as your weakest link--making them all smart makes a lot of sense to me.

the great thing about toughness is once it's installed, it's usually contagious. it's the antithesis of prima dona behavior, which has thankfully been eradicated.

a good dose of discipline requires sufficient character and intellect for that discipline not to be a problem. once the players understand the model and "get it" EM can loosen the reins a bit, further improving team atmosphere and earning additional player respect. this also often creates player accountability, helps their maturity, and can add team value to the individual.

heart comes with cohesion, solidarity, brotherhood, and pride. i think we're also the closest i can remember being to that since the 80s. sad to say that but so far so good at least.

DITTO ;)

This could be truth or Holmgren is feigning interest while really pursuing guys. Just gotta see how it plays out.

True, but imposing a cap is the wise move at this point.

You don't want to go nuts this year, then have a cap in place the next year and be in a position where you have to cut a bunch of players.

We'll who has a healthy franchise and who doesn't. More or less going with what has been done....increasing slightly shows a healthy franchise.

Spending way over the norm could go either way....a sick team may gamble the spending will help them.

Spending less, well, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

I don't think any teams are going broke by any means, but there are more than a few who aren't producing the returns on would expect on a half a $billion investment.

$25 million is only a 5% return.

While $25 million sounds good, 5% doesn't sound all that good....or at least to the point someone can say being greedy.

I fully understand owners not wanting to open the books. The average Joe will see X owner made $16 million and wonder why the guy wants to make more....a PR problem for the owners. From a business perspective, that is a pretty small margin considering the investment made.

If you throw $500 million in to something, you are going to expect more than a minimal return.

Archived