THE BROWNS BOARD

Too soon for draft talk??

hammertime

Guest Aloysius
Doug Lesmerises (OSU Dealer Beat Writer) wrote a very convincing article awhile back on why JL is great and not just good. I'll see if I can dig it up, but it correlates to a lot of my beliefs. Also, keep in mind JL is not playing behind a good dline at OSU, not even close. They are almost woeful at the interior positions and nobody demands double teams. I watch a lot of DVR'd games and pay close attention to JL, rarely do I see him make a mistake.

Lesmerises did the whole talk to an NFL scout thing on his blog, and here's what the scout said about Laurinaitis:

"He's similar to A.J. Hawk and I was a big fan of A.J. Hawk. I probably liked Hawk a little more than I like Laurinaitis. In a 3-4, when that guard is uncovered and he has to deal with an NFL guard coming down on him, he's not getting off that block and he isn't making a lot of plays. In a 4-3 that's closer to what they play in Columbus, he should be the player he has been in college, which is a really instinctive guy.

"I don't know that he hurt himself coming back. I'll say this about these guys that came back, I think that shows something about their character. They're doing it for the right reasons and their love of Ohio State, and I think sometimes these kids forget that the people drafting them are football coaches, we're football people, and we don't want you jumping ship on your team, because we're drafting you to play on our team. We want guys who've got their chips all in. And I think all those things helps these guys."

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding Maualuga, I feel he may be more hype than what he is. Reason I say that is I don't see him being real instinctual and I believe he will be the type that is out of position a lot but make the occasional big play that stands out. Really, the key to good linebacking is consistency, and I'm not sure he is that. I'll be serious to see what his combine numbers are as far as explosiveness and shuttle speed. I'll venture to guess JL has better numbers overall.

Disagree entirely! I think he is super instinctual and makes plays...i think flugs said wow factor. JL rarely makes me say wow...mostly wtf....he is AD in disquise. ha ha not that bad but he's not Patrick Willis or even curtis lofton or Beason for that matter. just my opinion

Wells too injury prone for me that high, Orakpo IS the real deal but we desperately need Help up the middle.

Rey 09"

I ALSO hope we draft a Rb as high as second round ,depending, If Cj. spillar would fall to us in second ,depending on whats left at that point....I'd be inclined to take him.

Guest Aloysius

TFY has a good rundown on which juniors are planning on declaring for the draft.

Here are their reports on some of the big name backs and receivers:

RB:

Chris Wells/Ohio State: Underclassmen leave Columbus with regularity and Wells will be no exception. A number of people have told us he will opt for the draft after the team's bowl game and most scouts feel as we do- Wells will be the first back drafted.

Knowshon Moreno/Georgia: Like his quarterback Moreno is almost certainly headed for the NFL at seasons end. A number of sources alerted us to this months ago.

LeSean McCoy/Pittsburgh: The scales are tilted that McCoy will enter the draft after the season. Several sources have confirmed this.

Shonn Greene/Iowa: Greene is almost certain to enter the draft after his brilliant campaign. His combination of size and speed have scouts excited though many are concerned about his inexperience.

Donald Brown/UConn: The Husky back will explore all his options but is leaning towards entering the draft, and why not? This could be hastened if coach Randy Edsall takes another job.

C.J. Spiller/Clemson: Many in Greeneville we've spoken with have told us Spiller is likely to enter the draft, which would be a surprise considering the injuries and inconsistent play this year.

WR:

Michael Crabtree/Texas Tech: College football's most dominant receiver will enter the draft, according to sources. He's a top ten selection and the faster he runs the earlier he will be drafted.

Jeremy Maclin/Missouri: Maclin is another Big 12 underclassman receiver who will leave for the draft. He's expected to receive a first round grade from the advisory committee.

Darius Heyward-Bey/Maryland: Heyward-Bey is likely on his way to the NFL according to sources. His production has picked up recently after a slow start and Heyward-Bey is expected to be one of the fastest receivers in next April's draft.

Percy Harvin/Florida: Harvin will explore his options but most familiar with the UF program feel he will enter the draft.

Guest Aloysius
english's measurables look good.

SI's got some great info:

Larry English/DE-OLB/Northern Illinois: The Huskies' dynamic pass rusher has impressed scouts the past two years with his ability to disrupt the action. English, a terrific athlete, is expected to light up the combine next February with his workout. His play late in the game last week against Central Michigan helped spur an NIU comeback that forced the game into overtime.

UPDATE: Larry English is going to the Senior Bowl

Everybody I have talked to seem to feel Harvin will declare after this season.

What are his measurables like? I always thought he was too small. Then again, I thought Steve Slaton was too small and he's tearing it up for the Texans.

Guest Aloysius
What are his measurables like? I always thought he was too small. Then again, I thought Steve Slaton was too small and he's tearing it up for the Texans.

Harvin's listed at 5'11", 195 lbs. Slaton measured in a 5'9", 197 lbs. at the Combine (I also thought he was too small for the NFL).

However, one key difference is that Harvin projects more to receiver in the NFL. And not only does he lack experience playing wideout full-time; scouts also question whether he's strong enough to effectively break the jam.

Add in the durability issue, and you've got some major concerns there. I still like Harvin, but I definitely understand why his ceiling seems to be mid-late Round 1.

Then again, a low 4.30's 40 at the Combine could change things...

Guest Aloysius

I'm not a big fan of Dan Pompei's draft stuff, but his senior OLB rankings are interesting.

Here are his top four guys:

1. Aaron Curry, Wake Forest. A big (6-foot-3-inch, 247-pound), fast, explosive player who can change a defense. Can play inside or outside. Plays with passion.

2. Brian Cushing, Southern California. Has size (6-4, 255), speed and instincts. Can play any linebacker position in any system. Reminiscent of Bill Romanowski.

3. Clay Matthews, Southern California. Has elevated his draft stock with a great senior season. High-effort player can pass-rush. Father with the same name starred at New Trier and played 19 seasons in the NFL.

4. Clint Sintim, Virginia. Good pass rusher who would fit in a 3-4 scheme. Also could be considered inside. Has an impressive physique.

Guest Aloysius
I could definately see him as a slot receiver/punt returner for some team, with them finding innovative ways to get the ball in his hands. Sort of like NO does with Reggie Bush.

That's a great comparison.

Maybe a way to defuse all the negativity on these boards is to look ahead to the draft.

That's pretty funny. You REALLY think anything can defuse negativity on this board? HAHHAHAH. I guess you have not been here very long. Now I just registered under a new name due to some computer issues, but I have been around here for a while... This board THRIVES on negativity... There would BE no board but for negativity... So now that I am done stating the obvious..

1st round Runningback, Inside OL position in the top 3.. We have to run the ball, protect the QB, We need to get more, more, more , did I say MORE! on the DL, and then the rest of the defense. I believe we need to go back to a 4-3 then the linebackers we currently have on the roster become a strength..

We need to get depth at wr somewhere too.. Anyway we can get about 16 draft picks??? Good thing we have some cap space because we need more help than just the draft will bring.. This team is not far off, but there are some glaring weaknesses... But we must beef up in the trenches.. no doubt about that. Tucker looks like he is done, Frahley struggles against good DT's.. we stupidly traded Faine when he fell out of favor (who is now playing pro bowl ball)..So a stud Center is higher on my wish list than a guard... there is Zero in the free agent market for RB's, and slim at wr though lance moore would be very very high on my list.

But then I wanted adrian peterson last year so I doubt I will get the runningback or center this year either.. but those would be 2 of my top 4 picks..1st round definately at running back

percy harvin's an interesting kid. i'd liken him to an unpolished santana moss. he's got great speed and good hands but doesn't really know how to play receiver. at the same time, he's nowhere near tough enough to be a NFL-caliber RB. i don't think there's a GM in the league who's thinking of putting him in the backfield now that milllen's gone.

he'll run a good forty, i think, which should put him at least in the second round. i just don't think he warrants first-round consideration because he's such a project, such a boom-or-bust type player. he could be great, but i think it's more likely he'll be chad jackson.

Guest Aloysius

It's amazing that this is the guy who may not be physical/tough enough to play receiver in the NFL:

339530221_104_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg

"An unpolished Santana Moss" is an interesting comparison. Personally, I like DTBH's Reggie Bush comparison, but Moss works as well.

It's amazing that this is the guy who may not be physical/tough enough to play receiver in the NFL:

339530221_104_080725_harvinpercy_11.jpg

"An unpolished Santana Moss" is an interesting comparison. Personally, I like DTBH's Reggie Bush comparison, but Moss works as well.

Big muscles don't make you "physically tough". You have to be able to take the hit, and take the pain. Remember our Defensive linemen "big money" and the other dufus who Suggs from Tampa Bay called a sissy?

Guest Aloysius

Interesting tidbit from SI:

After Ohio State's convincing victory over Michigan in Ann Arbor, running back Chris Wells was one of the last players to leave the field, hugging well wishers and mingling with the fans in the end zone. As one NFL scout at the game said, "It looked like Wells' last hurrah at the Horseshoe," inferring the Buckeye ball carrier may have played his final game in an Ohio State uniform and is likely to be playing on Sundays next year.

i know, it's absolutely insane that a guy like harvin can be considered soft, but that's today's NFL. to be considered tough, you have to cause nightmares.

i like the bush comparison, too. i chose moss because he and harvin are both receivers and moss is great return guy with amazing run after the catch ability. moss just runs good routes which it doesn't seem that harvin yet knows how to do.

Guest Aloysius
i know, it's absolutely insane that a guy like harvin can be considered soft, but that's today's NFL. to be considered tough, you have to cause nightmares.

i like the bush comparison, too. i chose moss because he and harvin are both receivers and moss is great return guy with amazing run after the catch ability. moss just runs good routes which it doesn't seem that harvin yet knows how to do.

Great point.

Toughness is not in physical size. It's a mindset and can be evidenced by how a guy takes on contact. The best running backs are guys that actually delivererd the blow instead of bracing to find the safest and least painful way to accept it from the defender.

Guest Aloysius

Little Animal fans will love Chris Steuber's Big Board:

#1 James Laurinaitis, LB, OSUSteuber Says: Laurinaitis is a gifted defender who has great instincts, ball skills and leadership qualities. He has the unique ability to change the face of a game in one play.#2 Rey Maualuga, LB, USCSteuber Says: A terrorizing tackler with great instincts and leadership qualities, Maualuga flies around the ball and is always in position to make a play.#3 Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

#4 Malcolm Jenkins, CB, OSU

#5 William Moore, FS, Missouri

#6 Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

#7 Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

Steuber Says: An athletic linebacker who makes plays all over the field, Curry has great ball skills and is strong against the run. One of the many premier LBs eligible next year.#8 Chase Coffman, TE, Missouri

#9 Brian Cushing, LB, USC

#10 Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

Steuber Says: Orakpo is an athletic, explosive defender, who has to add more bulk to his frame. He has the potential to be a dominant pass rusher, but durability is a concern.#11 Javon Ringer, RB, Michigan State

#12 Alphono Smith, CB, Wake Forest

#13 Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech

#14 Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss

#15 Mike Mickens, CB, Cincinatti

#16 Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU

#17 Alex Mack, C, Cal

#18 Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma

#19 Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

Archived