THE BROWNS BOARD

Dan LeFevour won't throw at combine

cambridgeho

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 21, 2010 10:26 AM ET

Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, the consensus No. 1 prospect in this year's NFL draft, says he'll do every workout at the scouting combine. But plenty of prospects with significantly lower draft grades are passing up the opportunity to show off all their skills to NFL scouts.

One such prospect is Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour, who says he's not going to throw at the combine.

"I'll be doing [pretty much] everything except throwing at the combine," LeFevour told NFLDraftBible.com.

Of course, throwing is a pretty big part of being a pro quarterback, and LeFevour's decision to do "everything except throwing" is depriving himself of an opportunity to impress NFL scouts. But he says he wants to throw with his own receivers at Central Michigan's pro day.

"I will focus solely on throwing at pro day," LeFevour said. "Just getting focused with that . . . only having one thing to do on pro day and being able to work with my receivers up at school that are coming out. Putting everything I have into that aspect of it."

But unlike Suh, LeFevour won't put everything he has into every aspect of the combine.

My question is, will this hurt or help his stock. My personal opinion is that it will hurt it. He is a 3 round grade right now possibly 4th. How is throwing to his own recievers at his campus going to help anything. If he had a great workout and throwing session at the combine, he could sneak into the 2nd.

This makes 3 prospects that chose not to throw at the combine. This indicates one of two things, either they can't handle the pressure and are looking for ways out of the combine to save face, or players are staring to realize the combine is ridiculously over-valued and over scrutinized. I hope its the latter.

saying that you only want to throw to your own receivers is the same as saying that you are a system qb to me. he knows that he will have trouble adjusting to new guys. i can understand that he is most comfortable with ucm guys, but come on: how can you possibly turn down an offer to raise your status. the only thing i can think of is that he knows he is a system qb and is afraid of turning into graham harrell or colt brennan. this dude is terrified of reality.

saying that you only want to throw to your own receivers is the same as saying that you are a system qb to me. he knows that he will have trouble adjusting to new guys. i can understand that he is most comfortable with ucm guys, but come on: how can you possibly turn down an offer to raise your status. the only thing i can think of is that he knows he is a system qb and is afraid of turning into graham harrell or colt brennan. this dude is terrified of reality.

That's my fear, I'm sorry, that's my.....LeFear. That doesn't mean he isnt any good though and if we all get our wish, we'll be able to bring in a vet for a few years while a young guy developes in this system. But I have a feeling if we do take a QB in this draft, it will be somebody that nobody is even talking about. Because, Mangini likes his system guys.

This makes 3 prospects that chose not to throw at the combine. This indicates one of two things, either they can't handle the pressure and are looking for ways out of the combine to save face, or players are staring to realize the combine is ridiculously over-valued and over scrutinized. I hope its the latter.

Now I see where Tebow isn't.

I think it is the latter....especially when a few other high profile names pull out.

I think it is a set up for failure no matter what Mike Mayock says. All of these guys are going to throw...they just aren't going to do it on TV in front of a bunch of scout wanna-be's.

either way, i think it's a bad move--as they say, you can't fight city hall.

to me that's like a swimmer doing aerobics and breathing exercises but not getting wet.

decisions like these could potentially cost them millions.

I doubt it.

They are all going to throw.

The combine is a great place for some. For others, pro day is the venue.

If they have it, the millions are going to happen.

Don't get too hung up on what Mike Mayock has to say....the guys a goof.

I don't think it hurts him as long as he throws well. You see top NFL QBs missing receivers coming in because of an injury. Holmgren and the staff have definite opinions on the QB options at this point. They want confirmation on how they throw and to ask them some personality type questions imho

Archived