THE BROWNS BOARD

Rolle him in to Cleveland??

BrownsBacker85

Antrel could get rolled out of Arizona

Posted by Mike Florio on February 21, 2010 9:33 PM ET

As he enters the final year of his rookie deal, Cardinals safety Antrel Rolle is due to earn a base salary of $8.11 million.

Then there's a $4 million roster bonus due next week.

Based on 2009 wages, the Cardinals already employ the highest-paid safety in the NFL -- Adrian Wilson, who made $7.039 million last season.

So Rolle, who has said he's not taking a pay cut and who has coughed up $2.2 million in back taxes to the IRS, could be hitting the open market in the uncapped year. Darren Urban of the team's official web site predicts that Rolle will be released.

Rolle, who said last month that he'd like to play for the Dolphins, was the eighth overall pick in the 2005 draft, three selections before DeMarcus Ware.

Meanwhile, Rolle is the second top-ten pick of the Cardinals during the three-year Denny Green era to unlock high-end escalators that eventually forced the team into a corner. Two years ago, 2004 first-rounder Larry Fitzgerald parlayed a huge cap number into a four-year, $40 million deal. This time around, a good-but-not-great career from Rolle has put him in line for $12 million, an amount that's unheard of for a safety.

So Rolle undoubtedly won't be back in Arizona absent a major pay cut, and he'll ultimately make a lot less than $12.11 million this year, and likely in any future year of his career.

If he gets released he would be a good pick up. For the right price of course.

If he gets released he would be a good pick up. For the right price of course.

Doesn't sound like he will come at the "right price" though. It's not the teams fault that he owed $2-mil in back taxes, sounds like a guy not very attentive to being a pro and handling his money well.

Can't keep momma happy, you won't be happy. This needs an intense look.

The Rolle I might be interested in is (I believe his name is) Myron Rolle. The Rhodes Scholar from Florida St. He was considered one of the best DBs in the country. He passed up his senior year to accept the Rhodes Scholar and study at Oxford in England for a year. He is coming back now and is going to be available in this year's draft. The only knock on him is the fact that he may not dedicate himself to a long term football career because his interests may take his life in a whole other direction.

He even has his own website:

http://myronrolle.com/

He even has his own website:

http://myronrolle.com/

you weren't kidding! wow athlete, scholar, philanthropist, nuerosurgeon, he even has his own foundation already! the sites complete w/ draft day countdown... staring at me above the fold.

this kid is organized.

my interest is piqued, thanks Gip.

**edit**wait a minute, i remember this guy...

i'm curious where he's stacking up in the mocks now.

Archived