THE BROWNS BOARD

Z could be bought out of his contract by Tuesday

SJ_Browns

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...e_a_bid_fo.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- At some point in the near future, Zydrunas Ilgauskas is going to be a former Washington Wizard. As for becoming a Cavalier again, that part is up in the air.

According to a source close to Ilgauskas, there was progress made over the weekend in buyout talks between the Wizards and Ilgauskas. It is possible an agreement could be reached as early as Monday or Tuesday.

If that happens, the Wizards would put Ilgauskas on waivers. He would easily clear, as no team in the league has enough cap space to claim his contract, and he'd be an unrestricted free agent 48 hours later.

There are at least four teams that will likely attempt to sign Ilgauskas, who has said he wants to play for a championship. One, of course, is the Cavs. The Dallas Mavericks, Denver Nuggets and Atlanta Hawks will probably also make offers.

On Sunday, the Los Angeles Times quoted an unnamed source saying the NBA had intentions of blocking Ilgauskas' potential return to the Cavs. The league could only do this if it could prove there was a pre-arranged deal with Ilgauskas before the trade was made. The paper referenced a situation two years ago when the league blocked the Mavericks from trading and then getting Jerry Stackhouse back in a buyout-and-return.

In that instance, Stackhouse was quoted as saying he would take a buyout before the trade took place. The NBA then blocked that trade. The NBA approved the Cavs-Wizards trade with Ilgauskas last week.

Recently, Ilgauskas told the Plain Dealer that the team had never discussed what would happen if he was traded.

"To be honest, I don't even know how a buyout works," Ilgauskas said before he was traded.

Several teams have used the buyout-and-return loophole in recent years. The Detroit Pistons traded Antonio McDyess and then re-signed him last season. The Boston Celtics traded Gary Payton and then re-signed him in 2008. The NBA, which will probably attempt to close the loophole in the next collective bargaining agreement, approved both moves.

"I have a problem with [ilgauskas returning]," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said told reporters last week. "I loved it three years ago when we did it with Gary Payton if you remember, but now I think it sucks. I think it's a terrible deal."

In short, that is the general feeling in the league. It isn't liked but it is legal and teams have been using the option for years.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/20...e_a_bid_fo.html

"I have a problem with [ilgauskas returning]," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said told reporters last week. "I loved it three years ago when we did it with Gary Payton if you remember, but now I think it sucks. I think it's a terrible deal."

In short, that is the general feeling in the league. It isn't liked but it is legal and teams have been using the option for years.

So it's OK if you scam the system Doc, but not if anyone else does it?

BTW, get ready to have a nice off season. The Nuggets just showed you have no chance in the playoffs.

So it's OK if you scam the system Doc, but not if anyone else does it?

BTW, get ready to have a nice off season. The Nuggets just showed you have no chance in the playoffs.

I heard the soundbite from this on the radio. Doc was actually laughing about it. He knows it's part of the game. Of course he's not happy about it, but he's not really saying that it was okay for him and not for the Cavs.

With that said, I hope Z does come back. Right now, there seems to be a lot of teams trying to figure out a way to sign him for themselves.

Archived