THE BROWNS BOARD

RAC isnt getting fired

We need Tom Tupa

This team could finish .500, should at least be 7-9. That's a .500 record or better under a new QB. RAC gets another year. (for the purposes of this thread, let's just assume I'm right. There are a dozen other threads arguing about firing him.)

But something needs to be changed, so what will it be? I know Mel Tucker is only in his first year, but would you replace him with Mike Nolan or Wade Phillips?

The roster needs to see some big changes. Draft a RB, a couple of LBs, a couple of DBs, anything else? I'd love to see Suggs brought in and a defense that plays both the 3-4 and the 4-3. Do we have the MLBs to do that?

Are we happy with Chud? What're our upgrade options?

I agree RAC is not going anywhere, unless Cower shows up on the doorstep and we feel its a now-or-never situation.

I gotta say, RAC was the sharpest he's ever been on Monday night and the calls he made were spot on:

-He made the right decision in letting on-fire Phil punch in a long one.

-His use of timeouts (thanks for not burning those up Brady) at the end of the game was exactly the right thing to do.

-He threw the red flag on the supposed interception which saved the game.

So, other changes? Not sure is there will be any. If RAC can tudor Tucker, he may be salvagable. I think it would really impair Quinn and the offense to change out Chud and I don't think its the play calling. BE catches a few more and Quinn gets better at snap counts and reads, Chud will be in a toy store.

In the end, I'm guessing there will be minor changes at most. The HC, OC, and DC will stay intact.

my gut feeling that IF the win loss scenario plays out as Tupa projects not a whole lot will change. However if we only win 5 games I think we might see Lerner step in and fire Rac. That would set off a major chain of events on DC and OC positions. Like the Quinn/DA situation I think everything at this stage is very fluid and suceptable to any number of variables.

Guest 88fingerslewy
Teach the defense how to properly tackle a running back.
See, that right there is where the whole problem lies.

Our record would be different if our D played better.

And our D would have played better if they just tackled better.

There it is.

RAC was the sharpest he's ever been on Monday night and the calls he made were spot on:

-He made the right decision in letting on-fire Phil punch in a long one.

-His use of timeouts (thanks for not burning those up Brady) at the end of the game was exactly the right thing to do.

Sorry, I'm new here, but I have to take issue with your analysis.

The browns have a first down on the bills 39 with 1:50 (approx) on the clock - the browns have all three of their timeouts left and the bills just one. Unlike most of the other series in the game, THIS WAS THE TIME TO RUN THE BALL. Yet 3 somewhat reckless pass plays were called. We gained 0 yards and took only 15 seconds off the clock. And we didn't force the bills to use that lone timeout.

We won in spite of the coaching, not because of it.

I'm inclined to agree, and I think that Tucker probably stays...I don't like the idea of changing coordinators every year. I'm not exactly sure how you teach tackling; isn't "hey, tackle him" sufficient at this point?

That said, I thought he did a pretty good job on Monday Night--as I mentioned in the Pick 'Em update, I loved the no hesitation on the kick at the end. I'm still not sure about how I feel about RAC--whether he will ultimately be remembered as a really good DC who flopped as head coach, or whether he's going to turn it around and be a guy who started slow and then came on later--but I've always thought that unless the wheels completely come off--like, I dunno, quitting on your way to the bus after a loss--a coach should get five years. I still feel that way.

Dennis

The browns have a first down on the bills 39 with 1:50 (approx) on the clock - the browns have all three of their timeouts left and the bills just one. Unlike most of the other series in the game, THIS WAS THE TIME TO RUN THE BALL. Yet 3 somewhat reckless pass plays were called. We gained 0 yards and took only 15 seconds off the clock. And we didn't force the bills to use that lone timeout.

Couldn't agree more. That pissed me off more then the TD run by Lynch where there was about 75 missed tackles. Maybe they were going for it all since our season is a bust already, but I think it should've been more important to get a W under Brady's belt, which we were lucky to get anyway.

I'm glad to get the W, but I feel like the Bills just beat themselves.

Couldn't agree more. That pissed me off more then the TD run by Lynch where there was about 75 missed tackles. Maybe they were going for it all since our season is a bust already, but I think it should've been more important to get a W under Brady's belt, which we were lucky to get anyway.

Honestly...considering everything...I think the coaches stay pretty much the same.

On offense...we have a new QB coming in and he has already averaged 29.5 with the offense as is...so Chud gets another year to develop him.

On defense...the built in excuse is that Peek is out on IR, R.Smith is on IR, C.Williams is injured and learning a new position, S.Smith has been injured half the season and playing out of position (he is a NT, not a DE), and the S's have been injured much of the season. Tucker will get another year to have a HEALTHY DL and get a new LB or two.

I really don't see a lot of changes if we make it back to 7-9...especially if we end the year with a win in Pittsburgh!!!

The #1 change that needs to be made is to add more talent, especially to the defense.

We have at least five #1 draft picks on offense (JT, BQ, BE, Steinbach and JL). Only two (Kam and the Beast) on D.

We simply aren't that talented, especially on defense.

I am not impressed with RAC but his calm demeanor may just work on a team of youngin's, provided he allows his coordinators to play their best players. (I still think it's he who kept BQ on the bench so long and continues to do so with Harrison as well.)

I think we keep RAC and add a full draft in '09.

Then, we judge both Phil and RAC next season and see what's what.

And I agree with Dency's point about getting five years. It's exceptionally hard to argue a coach is a failure without some time to develop his body of work.

@ moondawg: i was screaming the same thing. made no sense whatsoever that we didn't run the ball. however, chud draws up great schemes, schemes that constantly get people open and create mismatches. you can't get rid of a guy who does that, you just have to bring in someone to teach him how to call plays better. since he's an assistant HC, maybe chud needs his own assistant.

if romeo stays, an idea i loathe, we definitely need a new defensive coordinator. this D simply isn't getting it done. and while i agree with damajuki, they're not the most talented bunch of guys, but they should be playing better than they are.

we need a coordinator to come in and make this defense aggressive. until we get someone to do that, the offense will have to put up 30 every game just to give us a chance.

no matter what, though, i still say rac should go. he likely won't, but he's proven he doesn't belong.

I disagree Tom....I think the decision has already been made on Romeo....all of these changes aren't because of Romeo, they are directives from above.

Yep. What he said.

I really think the decision on Crennelephant has already been made, that it's final, that it was made weeks ago, and that the only reason he's riding out the rest of the season is that we don't have a viable in-house replacement for the interim (which in itself is evidence of poor management, considering we have a 400lb coach who could at any moment decide to take the stairs instead of the elevator and kick the bucket.)

Yeah, I hear you, but I'm assuming that was Chud. Of course you could point out RAC is the HC, so if Chud messes up, RAC shoulders the blame. And you'd be pretty much right.

My total guess (based on simple gut reaction) is if RAC wins:

- 6 games or less, then he's gone

- 7 games and it depends on the feel for the team's development

- 8 games and there's a 75% chance he stays

- 9 games or more and he's a lock for '09

Just 2 cents.

For the sake of Quinn, I think Chud stays. """

Yes with Marty as HC and Wade or Nolan as DC..but enough about my dream.

The big moves might be dumping Edwards and Stallworth for Boldin and a couple other new faces.

Think Detroit might work something out with Calvin Johnson?...Bray goes home..gets a fresh start...we get a big modest guy with tons of speed and good hands...then we sign TJ...or since im dreaming...Boldin.

on recievers: houshmandzadeh isn't the kind of receiver braylon is. yes, he's more dependable, but he's also less explosive. he's also tremendously helped by having chad johnson opposite him. houshmandzadeh is essentially JJ, just younger and persian. i wouldn't want to pay him the money he'll want. he just isn't the kind of receiver that commands top dollar.

boldin, on the other hand, while not fast, is a bull. he's the strongest receiver this side of steroid-era david boston. while the insane packages we could draw up with him and cribbs together are tantalizing (both were college QBs), this offense as it's currently designed needs a deep threat, and boldin's more a 'run after the catch' guy.

there is no possible way detroit trades calvin johnson for anything we'd offer. it would take something truly ludicrous like joe thomas and DA, and i'm not even sure that would do it. johnson's special.

on our record this year: who do you guys actually see us beating at this point? houston is a maybe. their offense is good but their defense sucks. it should be a shootout like we've seen for the past two weeks. maybe a W.

i doubt we beat indy. they're rounding into form at the right time and peyton will crush our d. L.

tennessee is a running team with a great d and a QB who can punish us if we overcommit to stopping the run. L.

the game against philly depends on brian westbrook. if he plays, i'm worried. if he doesn't, we win. maybe a W, maybe close.

cinci. we crush. god, those guys suck,. i'm actually starting to feel sorry for them. W.

pittsburgh could be interesting. if they're resting people, we have a chance. i don't think they will be, though. L.

we can win maybe three more games unless we do something surprising. that would put us at 7-9 even though we played a brutal schedule this year especially with baltimore being a better team than last year.

i hope it isn't enough to save romeo. i hope shep's right and he's done no matter what, but i have the sinking suspicion that the coming weeks will have a lot to do with whether or not the browns get to move in the right direction.

Sorry, I'm new here, but I have to take issue with your analysis.

We won in spite of the coaching, not because of it.

I am not a huge fan of Romeo's decision-making however I can't really blame him for not running the ball in that particular situation. Since we were at the edge of Dawson's range, he was trying to get us closer instead of just running down the clock. It was nice to see him show some confidence in our offense and be aggressive for a change. If we had either been closer or if Jamal was having more success running it then I could understand that reasoning.

my gut feeling that IF the win loss scenario plays out as Tupa projects not a whole lot will change. However if we only win 5 games I think we might see Lerner step in and fire Rac. That would set off a major chain of events on DC and OC positions. Like the Quinn/DA situation I think everything at this stage is very fluid and suceptable to any number of variables.

Man, that would be bad, IMO. That means another year of bad coaching and probably another year of 7-9. I'm finding that tough to get excited about.

I really hope going 7-9 isn't how they define 'success'.

I have been on the dump RAC bandwagon especially after watching the Ravens-Broncos debacles. If there is a decision by Lerner et all to keep RAC, my arm chair guess is the following record the Browns need to achieve:

8-8

9-7

10-6

If RAC is fired with a even or winining record much hue and cry will put forth from the local and national media. Lerner will look foolish. I do think Mel "Drive-In" Tucker likely stays on. They share a few donuts during early morning game film watching every Monday. Upgrades will be made in the obivious places on defense. That said, Browns could have a much softer schedule next year.

My ten cents worth of analysis

Im sorry i cant follow your assumption...ROMEO MUST GO!

And most the garbage coaches beneath him!

Even if we win the rest of this seasons games romeo still must go the fact is that this group for 4 years now has failed to properly evaluate talent or even prepare/train/teach/coach our players for regular season play its a pattern many of us would find unacceptable even at the jr. highschool level lerner and savage need to do something they have never considered or more likely they cant convince one to come to this nansy panzy organization ...a known and proven winner instead of trying to bring a DC/OC in because they are about as good at choosing a Head coach as romeo crennel is at evaluating and preparing to his players talents and strenths..

Are we a friggin football team or a bank?

RAC is gone. He's a defensive coach who's had one of the worst defenses in the league year in and year out. Something's gotta change.

Remember how Billick was an offensive genius that couldn't run an offense?

Yeah, it's kind of like that.

But RAC isn't winning a Super Bowl with an explosive offense.

Didn't we fire Marty for not going far enough in the playoffs. I may have been in favor of that at the time! I'll never understand his coaching career. Weird.

No, Modell fired Marty because of a disagreement.

WE (the fans) weren't calling for Marty's head (well most of us).

It was frustrating to loose in the playoffs, but I think most of us had the vision that our time would come.

Assuming Romeo stay, what needs to be done IMO:

1.In the first round I draft a pass rusher either a defensive lineman or a LB.

2. In the second round I draft a pass rusher.

3. In the third round I draft a pass rusher.

4. In the fourth,fifith, etc. see the above.

5. In free agency I go after pass rushers.

I am of the opinion that Wright and McDonald are not that bad especially Wright. The total lack of a pass

rush exposes them. When you have a MINIMUM of two men blocking Shaun Rogers and you can't mount a

pass rush you could have Willie Brown or any other HOF corner and he will get beat at times. Add to that the

slowness of our LBs and you have a major problem. Add to that the inability of our LBs to tackle and you have

more that major problems. When a man is in his 15th season (McGinest) and he is your best LB there is no

hope. The LBs are so slow they can not even get into their drop zones. It's one thing if they could stop the run,

then at least the DBs could play the pass but we can't so they have to support the run also.

The offense looks O.K. for now. Lewis appears to be slowing a little but can probably squeak out a couple of

more years if he gets a blow more often.(Hint here to Romeo-- PLAY HARRISON MORE). You can tweak the

offense but the defense needs a major overhaul.

Yeah, Marty's brother.

Sort of. Kurt isn't an offense coach.

Art told Marty he needed more help on offense. He wanted Marty to hire an OC. Marty told Art he didn't need more help and that he wasn't going to hire one. Art told Marty that the last time he looked, he was still the owner of the team and that Marty was going to hire one. Pighead Marty said no, and that was that.

Any (supposed) leader that turns down help from his boss when his boss is trying to help him is not only goofy, but probably a psycho too. Art did the right thing. At the time, the fans were pretty split about the situation.

The story is that Art wanted Marty to get rid of Kurt too. Probably true. Art hated losing.

Archived