THE BROWNS BOARD

Bradford's weight could have him flying up the boards

calfoxwc

Bradford's weight could have him flying up the boards

As first reported by former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah of Move The Sticks, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford posted a weight of 236 pounds at his Friday morning Combine weigh-in. For those NFL personnel people who were on the fence about Bradford because of his formerly 223-pound frame, wondering if he could take repeated hits in the pocket at that size, a more muscled Bradford could shake up the top of the draft board. What is not in question is Bradford's accuracy and ability to get the ball to all field levels. Playing behind the best offensive line in the college game in 2008, Bradford played pitch-and-catch to the tune of 4,720 yards and 50 touchdowns. After shoulder injuries shut down his 2009 season and he declared for the draft, Bradford has obviously been eating his Wheaties. The question now is whether the extra weight will affect his throwing motion and mechanics in any way -- word is the new weight is solid muscle, which speaks to his work ethic.

Though defensive tackles Gerald McCoy and Ndamukong Suh are widely regarded as the best players in this draft, the St. Louis Rams have a desperate need at quarterback and the first overall pick. If Bradford aces the interviews here in Indianapolis, and is able to throw well at his personal workout on March 25, he may have the Rams putting the pieces together and making him the first overall pick. And if that happens, McCoy and Suh could go to the very happy Detroit Lions and Tampa Bay Buccaneers, two teams in desperate need of interior line reinforcement.

UPDATE: Just off the media floor, Rams GM Billy DeVaney told me that the team has been in touch with Tom Condon, Bradford's agent, and has been cognizant of the workout progress.

I can see it, and it would certainly shake up the top ten. ?

As I posted earlier on another thread about this, I wouldn't mind seeing us get him at #7, that size is perfect for the nfl, its actually big as hell, like the other North QB's.

So, Bradford adding 13 pounds is going to make somebody draft him who was worried before?

Is this writer serious?

There's silliness and then there's this.

I would think as an NFL GM that I could draft a guy and then have the S & C coach work on building his frame. What a waste of space this article is.

No offense, Cal, you didn't write it, but the junk these guys troll out is just pure fluff.

No offense taken. That is what I thought at first - like, it's dumb to figure those lb's would make any difference.

But, then, maybe it just changes the perception of some coaches, Bernie Kosar was what, 213? skinny? Maybe

it just gives some coaches a different idea about his body mass -muscle- would be more likely to handle big hits or something.

Anyways, if it did, it would make most all of the mock drafts wrong, I think.

I wonder, though, with an excellent offensive line, etc, I wouldn't think he'd be getting seriously hurt?

What it shows is that he is a self-motivator and is dedicated to getting better, in whatever way seems to be necessary at the time.

With his shoulder injury, he could have laid about and done nothing, gained unhealthy pounds, or lost weight, depending on how he was eating, and lacidasically work through his rehab.

But instead, he comes back working hard, gaining solid muscle mass...

That goes to character and "want-to". You can't really measure either of those things.

Of course, the author of the article didn't really cover those aspects, as though adding 13 pounds will actually make a physical difference in the game play itself.

If we had to draft a QB at #7 overall, this is the guy I'd want. That being said, I really don't want to draft a QB that highly.

That also being said, I don't know where our QB for 2010 is going to come from, and that scares the bejesus outta me.

Just saw this over on ESPN

Browns to trade up for Sam?

The Cleveland Browns are in the same boat as last year regarding their QBs: they really aren't in love with either Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn, from what we can insinuate. Anderson could even be released before his roster bonus is due in March.

Confronted with that harsh reality, the team has two options: acquire someone else to take a stab at being the next franchise QB or hope for the best with Quinn or Anderson. Speaking on that first point, the team has been involved in the trade rumors for just about any QB even remotely on the market. Another possibility, reported by Marla Ridenour of the Akron Beacon Journal, is for the Browns to trade up from No. 7 in order to land Sam Bradford. They might have to move up all the way to No. 1, given the rave reviews coming from all corners of the NFL universe recently, but maybe this is just the kind of bold move that will kickstart the franchise with the new management team in place.

While I know this is purely speculation, do you really think that something like this might happen? I mean I have faith in Holmgren/Heckert that they will find us our franchise qb, but this sounds like quite a leap of faith. But hey if H/H think that Bradford can live up to the "Next Peyton Manning" hype that I had heard from his junior season, then I will fully embrace this decision.

Guest 88fingerslewy
I am 13 pounds heavier than I was last fall. Should I be drafted higher?

(that's what Big Mac's and oatmeal cookies will get you)

I love oatmeal cookies.

Just saw this over on ESPN

Browns to trade up for Sam?

The Cleveland Browns are in the same boat as last year regarding their QBs: they really aren't in love with either Derek Anderson or Brady Quinn, from what we can insinuate. Anderson could even be released before his roster bonus is due in March.

Confronted with that harsh reality, the team has two options: acquire someone else to take a stab at being the next franchise QB or hope for the best with Quinn or Anderson. Speaking on that first point, the team has been involved in the trade rumors for just about any QB even remotely on the market. Another possibility, reported by Marla Ridenour of the Akron Beacon Journal, is for the Browns to trade up from No. 7 in order to land Sam Bradford. They might have to move up all the way to No. 1, given the rave reviews coming from all corners of the NFL universe recently, but maybe this is just the kind of bold move that will kickstart the franchise with the new management team in place.

While I know this is purely speculation, do you really think that something like this might happen? I mean I have faith in Holmgren/Heckert that they will find us our franchise qb, but this sounds like quite a leap of faith. But hey if H/H think that Bradford can live up to the "Next Peyton Manning" hype that I had heard from his junior season, then I will fully embrace this decision.

i don't see them reaching, but that's just me. i see them looking at who's available at 7 and if they like someone they pull the trigger.

if no one's there that they like they'll try to get out, or get stuck and end up literally taking BPA. it's a lot to do in ten minutes, but i still think they'll go in having done their homework yet completely blind swinging granite testicles.

Archived