THE BROWNS BOARD

Why we need a TE more than a #1 receiver

NW Ohio Brownie

Speaking in terms of the 2010 season only, this team needs a pass-catching tight end in the draft more than a #1 receiver.

With our running game absolutely dominating the last four games of the season, the play-action will be key to the passing game next year. Tight ends benefit the most from this and we need a guy down the seam to keep the safeties honest and out of the box. Yes, a #1 receiver keeps at least one safety high, but I digress.

Here are our potential options in the first three rounds of the draft:

Jermaine Gresham

Aaron Hernandez

Tony Moeaki

Of these, I think Moeaki might be the most viable option for this team. He should be available somewhere early in the third round (where we have two choices). Also, Moeaki comes from the Iowa offense which is predicated on blocking tight ends and the play-action passing game.

I see Moeaki and I think Ozzie Newsome: Not flashy, but steady and a real threat down the middle of the field and chain-mover. Before you get all upset about comparing Moeaki and Newsome, I'm not saying Moeaki is a future HOF'er, but his game reminds me of Ozzie a hell of a lot. Ozzie, by the mid-80s, was not the present form of tight end: Winslow/Davis/Clark -- guys you can split out wide and create mismatches, etc. Ozzie was the guy you couldn't cover in the middle of the field.

In 1985, Kosar and Newsome killed people because of the threat of Mack and Byner. Now, with Harrison slicing and dicing, adding a young TE to make plays over the middle of the field, could give Quinn the security blanket he desperately needs.

It is not just about who we need; but it is also about value for pick. A TE at #7 will basically piss everyone off unless there is something absolutely special about him that we are not aware of yet.

He wasn't saying we should take a TE at #7 overall. He was talking about using one of our 3rd rounders on a TE.

It is not just about who we need; but it is also about value for pick. A TE at #7 will basically piss everyone off unless there is something absolutely special about him that we are not aware of yet.

Christ man I don't agree with NW on this even though he is one of our better posters but the guy never said anything about taking a TE at pick 7.

I am fine with the TE's we have, I thought we found some real gems and don't need to waste a pick on one. Estandia was not mentioned along with Gaines and Moore.

Christ man I don't agree with NW on this even though he is one of our better posters but the guy never said anything about taking a TE at pick 7.

I am fine with the TE's we have, I thought we found some real gems and don't need to waste a pick on one. Estandia was not mentioned along with Gaines and Moore.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Estandia was intially brought in was to be a glorified extra lineman in max pro formations. He was, essentially, John St. Clair's safety net. But I like the guy. And I love Evan Moore. And Michael Gaines is okay in my book, too. And Steve Heiden will always hold a place in my heart, even if he never plays another down.

Personally, I don't see the need to draft a TE at all. I think that is one of the only offensive positions that was serviceable near the end of the season. I believe the pick would be better used in picking up an OT or a WR.

Moeaki would be a great fit, but he's got a pretty extensive injury history. If he can stay stealthy, he'd be a great balanced TE.

Evan Moore's also had a lot of trouble staying healthy, which is why I'd like to see the position bolstered with a promising rookie. With the depth in this class, you probably can get a good one in the 3rd or 4th round.

Moeaki would be a great fit, but he's got a pretty extensive injury history. If he can stay stealthy, he'd be a great balanced TE.

Evan Moore's also had a lot of trouble staying healthy, which is why I'd like to see the position bolstered with a promising rookie. With the depth in this class, you probably can get a good one in the 3rd or 4th round.

I agree.

Dennis Pitta looks like a great well rounded prospect we could get in the 3rd for sure, and maybe at the top of the 4th round, though he is likely to move up from a 4th round possibility.

I will say I like Moore and would be willing to go with what we have and see what happens. You can't address everything in one draft, so TE is a position where we show some upside, so addressing it this year might have to be put on the back burner.

I do know I wouldn't reach to get a player I liked. He would have to fall to my slot...or at least with-in 4-5 picks...I might reach up that far if the 4-5 in front of him weren't just clear cut better players.

Guest birddog1
I agree.

Dennis Pitta looks like a great well rounded prospect we could get in the 3rd for sure, and maybe at the top of the 4th round, though he is likely to move up from a 4th round possibility.

I will say I like Moore and would be willing to go with what we have and see what happens. You can't address everything in one draft, so TE is a position where we show some upside, so addressing it this year might have to be put on the back burner.

I do know I wouldn't reach to get a player I liked. He would have to fall to my slot...or at least with-in 4-5 picks...I might reach up that far if the 4-5 in front of him weren't just clear cut better players.

I like Moeaki and Pitta, I was watching both at the combine yesterday. I know it's not game situations but both looked good.

Good stuff, guys.

Yeah, I definitely don't want a TE at #7, and I'm sure Gresham will go somewhere between 21-30.

I was hoping Rucker could fill Winslow's shoes, but he obviously didn't. I like Evan Moore, but I'm just not sure if he's the guy. I would like to see us get another TE to complement Moore.

If Moore turns out to be our Heath Miller or Jay Novacek, awesome. Then let's go get that RT and safety in the third round.

My final point is that the only spot receiver can instantly help our offense is going with Bryant at #7 or Tate if he falls to #38. After that, we're just drafting a Robiskie, Massaquoi or Stuckey anyway. But there's no way I want Bryant at #7: Berry or Haden is the guy there.

Archived