THE BROWNS BOARD

What would you trade?

mopaji

Everywhere I read about the draft I hear about how deep this year's draft is. It seems to me that, if there were a year in which we would want to have an obscene amount of draft picks it would be this year. Lots and lots of good players available, Holmgren's first year, Heckert's first year, and the players' have seemed to finally understand Mangini's system. If I were running a team, this is the draft in which I would want more than enough picks. You can essentially lay the groundwork for your football team for the next 10 years with this one draft. This leads me to me point. Who do we have that has trade value and we can afford to lose? Here is my list, tellm e what you would do different or what you disagree with.

Shaun Rogers - Our D-line played very, very well after he got hurt. I really like having him but he does have some trade value and our young guys proved they could handle the job. (possible draft compensation-2nd round pick, or a 3rd round and a player)

Brady Quinn - Although he had a terrible year, we cannot go into this year with DA and Brady on the roster. In fact, it may be a bad idea to have Brady on this roster at all if he's not starting. Too many #10 jerseys in the stands. So, he has more trade value than DA and has a very favorable contract. (possible draft compensation - 4th round pick)

Jerome Harrison - His stock has never been higher blah, blah, blah he can be replaced. (possible draft compensation - 3rd and 5th round pick)

The #7 overall pick - Since the draft is so deep, and top 10 picks are expensive, it seems prudent to want to deal this pick for picks and a player or two. We can get a starting DB,RB,WR,LB,DT anywhere in the first two rounds but there are teams who are picking outside of the top 10 who are one player away from contention who would love for a chance to jump into the top 10. (possible draft compensation - pick 20 or higher, pick 20 or higher in the 2nd round, and a 4th round next year).

All of these trade returns are low-end estimates and even at the low end, we could add another 4 picks in the first 4 rounds and only have to give up players who are either on the downside of thier careers or can be replaced quite easily. The draft is soooooo deep that with another 4 picks in the first 4 rounds, we could easily pick up 4 MORE first year starters for this team. Possibly getting us up to 8 first year starters. Incredible! This is all hypothetical of course but if the Browns chose to make these deals, 8 potential first year starters in one draft sounds really appealing. Realistically though, you won't start 8 rookies but you would be in really, really good shape moving forward. A roster full of lots of young, affordable talent. Its a pipe dream and I realize their are some fan favorites on my list but when you look at where we are as a franchise, who is doing the drafting, and the quality of this draft, this seems like the best idea for this team moving forward.

PS. I didn't include D'Quell because he shouldn't cost much to re-sign and he is worth more here than what we could get in a trade.

I don't think I would be in favor of trading Jerome Harrison, but maybe some of the other players you mentioned.

If the Browns are high on Haden, and he's gone before they pick, I would be ok with drafting Okung to shore up our o-line on the right side. Then load up on defense the next few picks. I believe our defense is more of a priority in the draft, but Okung may be too good to pass up.

I see the Browns as a running team this year, kind of how we ended our season last year. I don't know what's out there in the draft for RBs besides Spiller, but we need a bruiser to complement Harrison. We seem to have more of a need at WR than RB...at least we need more speed at WR.

I'm not a huge Quinn fan, but I think he can be ok for now in a ball control offense. I wouldn't trade him unless an offer comes along that we can't pass up. We've got 11 picks already, BQ may only bring a mid round draft pick or two...would that make any impact at all?

I agree on Rogers. i think we could parlay him in to a part more needed, and I don't say that lightly, as the guy brings value to us.

I think straight up, he would bring a low 1st rounder and at minimum a high 2nd rounder.

If trading up to get Bradford or someone else is the goal....our 1st rounder and rogers could get that done...though I am not a big fan of that.

If we could turn rogers in to a Spikes at backer or one of the better running backs who are likely to go later in round 1, I would do that.

Yikes.

If you traded Rogers, you would have to DRAFT one. The Browns can make serious hay with this draft to solify the weaknesses they ave,

why trade him so you have to draft another one? ??? Rogers is nearing the end of his career, he's been around, and why would another team trade for him and give up their first two draft picks this year????

They more likely will draft their own NT that will be playing years of his career without being banged up, with them. You need two of these

giant guys, one to spell the other one once in a while, and in case one gets hurt or sick. This I don't get. More likely, the Browns could trade down a bit,

and get a second rounder this draft and keep Rogers, trading with a team that desperately needs one of the nt's in this draft...

NT's like Rogers are hard to find, I wouldn't trade him. We have drafted guys in the first round before and dumped big money on them and they never panned out. We dont need to start playing roster games like Shapiro of the Indians or we will continue to always be rebuilding year in and year out.

NT's like Rogers are hard to find, I wouldn't trade him. We have drafted guys in the first round before and dumped big money on them and they never panned out. We dont need to start playing roster games like Shapiro of the Indians or we will continue to always be rebuilding year in and year out.

I'm with you on the 'roster games' part. But when the Browns actually start rebuilding through the draft, it will be the 1st time. I love what Rogers does, I was thrilled when we signed him but he isn't getting any younger and he is coming off injury. I say we take a page from the Patriots book and trade a year too soon rather than a year too late. We can get a good DT in the 4th round or even deeper. And Rubin is no slouch by any means. I just have absolute faith in this group of decicion makers. Heckert, Holmgren, and Mangini, I believe, can do great things in the draft. And now that Mangini has his system in place with the current roster, he should be able to coach up the young guys fairly easy. He is a really good coach afterall. I just don't want to miss this once a decade draft now that we have this team of decision makers on the Browns. Now is the time to be agressive and take some chances. Most of us expected that in 2010 the roster would be completely flipped around and revamped, and this draft is as good a draft as you will ever see. So, if not now for us, then when?

First thing is a forth for Quinn and a 3rd and 5th for Harrison. ? I cant see how you think we get more for Harrison than Quinn?

I would trade Rodgers. I think Rubin is better suited for a 34 nose, as was apparent after Rodgers was hurt. I really think that he is a better NT and why not trade Rodgers if that is the case. I could see him and our first plus a fifth to move up to number one. Heckert said they haven't closed the door on any options going forward or Back. You could also just move him for a player, but don't know who I would want

Everywhere I read about the draft I hear about how deep this year's draft is. It seems to me that, if there were a year in which we would want to have an obscene amount of draft picks it would be this year. Lots and lots of good players available, Holmgren's first year, Heckert's first year, and the players' have seemed to finally understand Mangini's system. If I were running a team, this is the draft in which I would want more than enough picks. You can essentially lay the groundwork for your football team for the next 10 years with this one draft. This leads me to me point. Who do we have that has trade value and we can afford to lose? Here is my list, tellm e what you would do different or what you disagree with.

Shaun Rogers - Our D-line played very, very well after he got hurt. I really like having him but he does have some trade value and our young guys proved they could handle the job. (possible draft compensation-2nd round pick, or a 3rd round and a player)

Brady Quinn - Although he had a terrible year, we cannot go into this year with DA and Brady on the roster. In fact, it may be a bad idea to have Brady on this roster at all if he's not starting. Too many #10 jerseys in the stands. So, he has more trade value than DA and has a very favorable contract. (possible draft compensation - 4th round pick)

Jerome Harrison - His stock has never been higher blah, blah, blah he can be replaced. (possible draft compensation - 3rd and 5th round pick)

The #7 overall pick - Since the draft is so deep, and top 10 picks are expensive, it seems prudent to want to deal this pick for picks and a player or two. We can get a starting DB,RB,WR,LB,DT anywhere in the first two rounds but there are teams who are picking outside of the top 10 who are one player away from contention who would love for a chance to jump into the top 10. (possible draft compensation - pick 20 or higher, pick 20 or higher in the 2nd round, and a 4th round next year).

All of these trade returns are low-end estimates and even at the low end, we could add another 4 picks in the first 4 rounds and only have to give up players who are either on the downside of thier careers or can be replaced quite easily. The draft is soooooo deep that with another 4 picks in the first 4 rounds, we could easily pick up 4 MORE first year starters for this team. Possibly getting us up to 8 first year starters. Incredible! This is all hypothetical of course but if the Browns chose to make these deals, 8 potential first year starters in one draft sounds really appealing. Realistically though, you won't start 8 rookies but you would be in really, really good shape moving forward. A roster full of lots of young, affordable talent. Its a pipe dream and I realize their are some fan favorites on my list but when you look at where we are as a franchise, who is doing the drafting, and the quality of this draft, this seems like the best idea for this team moving forward.

PS. I didn't include D'Quell because he shouldn't cost much to re-sign and he is worth more here than what we could get in a trade.

So you'd be willing to trade Harrison but not Jackson? Dude, your priorities are ludicrous.

First thing is a forth for Quinn and a 3rd and 5th for Harrison. ? I cant see how you think we get more for Harrison than Quinn?

I would trade Rodgers. I think Rubin is better suited for a 34 nose, as was apparent after Rodgers was hurt. I really think that he is a better NT and why not trade Rodgers if that is the case. I could see him and our first plus a fifth to move up to number one. Heckert said they haven't closed the door on any options going forward or Back. You could also just move him for a player, but don't know who I would want

Yeah, I don't understand it either. They think Harrison's trade stock is as high as its ever going to get, despite how much he flashes consistently (take a look at my other post.) Then they think they would be happy with a 3rd to 5th rounder for him? Are they nutso?! If we can't get a 1st rounder for Harrison, we have to keep him. It is that simple.

So you'd be willing to trade Harrison but not Jackson? Dude, your priorities are ludicrous.

Read what I wrote, no to D'Quell because we wouldn't get in return what he is worth to the team. MLB is harder to replace than a scat-back. We could trade DQ but we would get maybe a 4th rounder, it's not worth starting the 3-4 MLB project up again. RB can almost step right in instantly and be effective.

Its simple, Because Harrison has been more productive than Quinn. I think HArrison has even rushed for more yards than QUinn has thrown for? Plus, you could draft your own QB higher than the 4th round and he should be as good or better than Quinn is.

Its simple, Because Harrison has been more productive than Quinn. I think HArrison has even rushed for more yards than QUinn has thrown for? Plus, you could draft your own QB higher than the 4th round and he should be as good or better than Quinn is.

On who’s team are you referring? I can name a slew of 1st to 5th round RB’s the Browns have drafted that have not just “stepped in” and done well. Denver is the only team I can name that has consistently since I can remember, been able to bring in RB after RB and they all get over 1,000 yards rushing, go to another team, and suck.

While I’ll agree, that a single super stud at the RB position is not of the same importance as it once was, largely due to the RB half-life in the NFL, it still doesn’t mean you can grab any old runner, plug him in, and he will produce accordingly. That is a very short-sighted and naïve statement to make.

As for the ILB (note I said ILB, not MLB, because we run the 3-4, not the 4-3) it actually isn’t that difficult to plug and play serviceable guys there when your DL is good. That being said, I don’t want to trade Jackson either.

RB can almost step right in instantly and be effective.

RB's must grow on trees in your neighborhood!

The Browns have had only two 1,000 yd rushers in a season that I can think of in the past 20 years! RB's are now dime a dozen too?

Maybe we should trade Joe Thomas/Cribbs and everybody else that could make this team somewhat respectable this year right? The draft is so deep! (Note sarcasm)

RB's must grow on trees in your neighborhood!

The Browns have had only two 1,000 yd rushers in a season that I can think of in the past 20 years! RB's are now dime a dozen too?

Maybe we should trade Joe Thomas/Cribbs and everybody else that could make this team somewhat respectable this year right? The draft is so deep! (Note sarcasm)

Dude, look at the rest of the league. Everyone has a 1000 yard rusher. And until now, we haven't had competent people drafting for us. Trust me, if Phil were still here, I wouldn't want any trade.

Quinn has had less than a season worth of games with 3 systems. You cant say he isn't productive so he isn't worth anything. That is just silly. I think we probably tendered Harrison either 1st or 2nd. Holmgren said that we would make it hard for anyone to get him. I could see us trading for a 3rd + for him. I couldn't see us trading Brady for less than a 3rd as well. One many around the league still think he has potential. Two his contract is way Friendly. Thats all I am trying to say.

Yikes.

why trade him so you have to draft another one? ??? Rogers is nearing the end of his career, he's been around, and why would another team trade for him and give up their first two draft picks this year????

I think we can find decent NTs in lower rounds. We already have one playing to the level we can even discuss trading rogers.

You do bring up a good point about rogers and the stage of his career.

For that reason, any trade would more than likely be with a contender who needs Rogers for 2-3 years while they make their run.

If all goes well for us, Rogers will be pretty much done when we start making our runs.

So if he is traded, I retract what I said about using Rogers in a trade up....I agree, that won't happen.....but it could happen with a team like Philly or someone else who feels he would be the part that could propel them from drafting 26th to drafting last in next years draft.

If there is a team who honestly feels they are one solid D lineman away from having a real shot, I think we could be players in a deal.....and that is where a darn good backer or RB might reside....even a QB for that matter.

Dude, look at the rest of the league. Everyone has a 1000 yard rusher. And until now, we haven't had competent people drafting for us. Trust me, if Phil were still here, I wouldn't want any trade.

yeah, so let's trade the guy who was on pace for over 1,000 if he had started. it makes NO SENSE!!!

Archived