THE BROWNS BOARD

Bunning blocks unemployment benefits

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve - also, how serious should we take someone who voted for the Medicare prescription drug bill, both of Bush's tax cuts, and both wars, none of which was paid for, whose combined price tag is well into the trillions of dollars, but then pipes up angrily when we want to extend unemployment benefits for another 30 days?

Steve - also, how serious should we take someone who voted for the Medicare prescription drug bill, both of Bush's tax cuts, and both wars, none of which was paid for, whose combined price tag is well into the trillions of dollars, but then pipes up angrily when we want to extend unemployment benefits for another 30 days?

Well I suppose we could go down a long road littered with politicians contradictory statements and votes.

Even from (God forbid) ahhhh you know.

But I'm not all that excited about rhetoric.

Just stating how I see it.

BTW I see where you're coming from on the job thing but it sure seems to me (if somebody wanted to bet me a few grand) I could find a shitso minimum wage job in a week.

WSS

I suppose I could too. But I don't know what point that makes, or why forcing all these people to fight over the few shitso minimum wage jobs that exist would be a good thing.

Again, this is another case where your preoccupation with the "lazy" makes for bad policy.

The preoccupation is dragging out this thread in which it doesn't even seem like we disagree.

And I haven't made any vicious attacks on anybody.

I'm not even accusing anybody of doing anything I wouldn't do.

As an aside let me say when the chips are down and UI's long gone some people will take that job.

And some will make some big change (go back to school try a new career take a shot at relocation etc etc) and wind up kicking themselves in the ass for not doing whatever it is long befare.

Who knows?

WSS

Well, I was disagreeing with your contention that Bunning had a valid point, or that UI insurance distorts the labor market (i.e. makes people lazy) so much that we shouldn't extend it.

I understand your basic point, that some people wait until they have to do something to do something, and that UI can prolong that process. I just don't think it's the central truth of unemployment insurance policy that we need to frame everything around. It's the small cost of doing something much larger.

Besides, $1300-$1400 a month isn't enough to make anyone feel really comfortable. It's not going to beat working.

You don't. It's just some tired old hack trying to tow to what he thinks are the party lines.

BTW I see where you're coming from on the job thing but it sure seems to me (if somebody wanted to bet me a few grand) I could find a shitso minimum wage job in a week.

WSS[/b]

I guess that would depend on where you live. In Florida the maximum unemployment benefits are $275 a week. I'd take a minimum wage job if there were any around here. There might be some 50 miles away, who knows. That's not a reasonable distance to drive for minimal wage. I've tried the theme parks, the grocery stores, the department stores. No bites yet. But when unemployment is above 11% and expected to rise until it peaks this summer, the employers have a large pool of people to choose from. They're going to pick people they think will stay with them for awhile instead of leave when a better job comes around.

$275 per week? that should cover food fuel and utilities. If you noticed I didnt say housing. Someone is getting screwed. I wont complain about NC then, max here is $505.

Could you imagine if HC passed and you were mandated to offer up your unemployment check to purchase HC Insurance or else be fined?

Well, if all goes well, I'll be here to say I was full of baloney to worry so much...

so, Heck, deal?

You'll be here too? to admit that it turned out to be a disaster?

As of today and for tomorrow all of Obama's plans are nothing more than a disaster.

And then you have people who will go down on a sinking ship like Heck. His form of change is through doubt and abusive behavior. That is the only way he can tell himself that he is superior to others.

It must really suck to live in the world of ole Heck. Is it psychedelic?

You shouldn't continue licking those stamps and eating all of those mushrooms. On your first day of sobriety you will see that your goals for world dominance and fame never came about.

Archived