THE BROWNS BOARD

A hint as to the Browns' leaning in the draft?

calfoxwc

I was reading, and it has been noted elsewhere about the players the Browns

were confirmed as having been talked to...

and you look at their estimated draft projections.....

and there is only one first rounder. That seems to be very strange. You'd think there

would be two or three first rounders.

Then, you read Everson Griffen's profile.... I say he doesn't make it out of the first round.

Maybe Kindle won't either...

What would the Browns lose, by trading down once or twice... @@,

picking up extra picks in the second and third rounds.....

and taking Griffen, instead of taking Haden or McClain, lb, at the 7th pick?

Meanwhile, some mocks had Ciron Black going in the first and second rounds,

and here he is 4th/5th round. That's interesting...

Players Browns Have Met With at NFL Combine

•QB Dan LeFevour - Central Michigan - Round 3

•QB Tim Hiller - Western Michigan - N/A

•RB/WR Dexter McCluster - Ole Miss - Round 2

•WR Eric Decker - Minnesota - Round 4

•WR Ryan Wolfe - UNLV - N/A

•TE Anthony McCoy - USC - Round 2

•TE Ed Dickson - Oregon - Round 2/3

•C Erik Cook - New Mexico - Round 7+

•OT Adam Ulatoski - Texas - Round 5/6

•OT Ciron Black - Louisiana State - Round 4/5

•DE/OLB Sergio Kindle - Texas - Round 1/2

•DE/OLB Everson Griffen - USC - Round 1

•ILB Daryl Washington - TCU - Round 2/3

•S/LB Barry Church - Toledo - Round 6/7 (Updated 2/28)

Everson Griffen

Ht/Wt: 6-3/265 lbs

Position: DE

School: USC

Class: Junior

Everson Griffen's Player Profile

USC faces an offseason of uncertainty at several key pieces of their organization—besides Coach Pete Carroll’s surprising departure.

Damian Williams and Joe McKnight will join Griffen’s defensive teammate—and probable first rounder—Taylor Mays in the 2010 NFL draft. While he may not have the same level of name recognition as the other aforementioned Trojans, he might make the biggest impact early on.

It’s not that Griffen snuck up on the draft pundits’ big board—he was often held to the type of expectations fit for a perennial Top-5 pick. However, he quite possibly could provide excellent value late in the 1st or early 2nd round.

The key to his game is speed and quickness and a lot of it although he can definitely lay out a running back or quarterback with the best of them. Several people claim to have timed him in the sub-4.5 range which would make him, well, kind of a freak. A player his size running that fast is almost unheard of.

With eight sacks this season the Arizona native earned a second team All Pac-10 nomination. Griffen has relied on purely speed and spurts of a powerful bull rush to wreck havoc in the backfield. To truly succeed in the NFL, he will have to add at least two more dependable pass-rush moves to his repertoire.

Profile submitted by: Joe J. Brown

Meeting lot's of players not only helps with their evaluation, it also helps us decide what we want to do in the draft...stand pat or move around.

I wouldn't mind doing what we did last year and moved down towards the middle of the 1st round and picked up another 2nd rounder or more.

I am a big fan of picks in the 20 to 75 range. The cost is manageable and the bust factor in that range is pretty small as well....you end up with a player who is generally going to be pretty good. No need to start pointing out the busts...I am talking league wide over the course of time.

In that area you can pick up a lot of the nuts and bolts that build a team and find the occasional guy who slipped or hadn't for whatever reason put it all together while in college.

Dropping from 7 down to around 20 would bring a 2nd and probably a third or a future 2nd as well.

If we need to move up to say #5 for a qb...we have the room to do that as well with a extra 3rd rounder

Nice post Cal.

If nothing else, we can see that the Browns have identified the same areas of need as the fans have. I've said it before, I'll say it again. If you're not picking in the top 3, you may as well not pick until 15.

TRADE OUT OF THAT #7 PICK TOM!!!!!

Yeah, but I would have thought the Browns would also have spoken with Haden, or McClain.. somebody in the top ten.

With this first round qb class, there isn't a qb worth trading up for.

For an Eli Manning, a real stand out, maybe. With the top two qbs, I see it more like they will drop out of the top 5,

who knows. If any of the teams ahead of us drafts a qb instead of Suh, Berry, etc... guys ususally listed at the top five,

I'll be shocked bigtime.

If I do a no trade down draft, the Browns won't take Joe Haden now. Not just because he only ran 4.57 - but he's said to be on the short side

of 5' 10 1/2...

He really looks outstanding in agility drills, but a bigger faster wr on a post pattern? The Browns don't need a guy who is almost right there and

can't get high enough.

They will trade down. Kyle Wilson is drawing serious attention, and apparently, Joe Haden isn't the #1 elite guy for the Browns at 7.

The trouble with this draft, is there are too many variables, too interesting with a very deep second round to have any confidence in a mock draft.

It is good that they met with all these players, though I don't think we should say that because they didn't meet with someone else that they have no interest in them. Also recall that they will have all these "Pro workout days" or whatever they are called on various college campuses with many opportunities to meet with players there.

Yeah, high in the first round, they probably would try to keep that pretty quiet.

I forget the # of interviews the teams can have, but pretty sure it's more than

reported here.

Now, if the Rams want a qb, and will trade down with the Browns, and the Browns

know one of the top two linemen will be a star for them... I'm still good.

But I just think they'll trade down. Still too many weaknesses.

Yeah, high in the first round, they probably would try to keep that pretty quiet.

I forget the # of interviews the teams can have, but pretty sure it's more than

reported here.

Now, if the Rams want a qb, and will trade down with the Browns, and the Browns

know one of the top two linemen will be a star for them... I'm still good.

But I just think they'll trade down. Still too many weaknesses.

Rumor on the radio this morning is that the Rams may have an interest in trading for Donovan McNabb. Not sure why he would want to go to the worst team in the NFL at this point.

Players Browns Have Met With at NFL Combine

•QB Dan LeFevour - Central Michigan - Round 3

•QB Tim Hiller - Western Michigan - N/A

•RB/WR Dexter McCluster - Ole Miss - Round 2

•WR Eric Decker - Minnesota - Round 4

•WR Ryan Wolfe - UNLV - N/A

•TE Anthony McCoy - USC - Round 2

•TE Ed Dickson - Oregon - Round 2/3

•C Erik Cook - New Mexico - Round 7+

•OT Adam Ulatoski - Texas - Round 5/6

•OT Ciron Black - Louisiana State - Round 4/5

•DE/OLB Sergio Kindle - Texas - Round 1/2

•DE/OLB Everson Griffen - USC - Round 1

•ILB Daryl Washington - TCU - Round 2/3

•S/LB Barry Church - Toledo - Round 6/7 (Updated 2/28)

That's an interesting list but I see there is no CB's and only one safty slash linebacker on there.

I'm not really sure what you can make of it.

Rumor on the radio this morning is that the Rams may have an interest in trading for Donovan McNabb. Not sure why he would want to go to the worst team in the NFL at this point.

That's kinda old news, Adam Schefter was mentioning this awhile ago.

Latest is Vick really thinks the panthers uniforms are nice looking.

Archived