THE BROWNS BOARD

Troy Smith's tender

LeBrent

Definitely something to think about. I doubt if he'll last long at that price.

I was always impressed with his accuracy, & who knows what the FO is thinking.

Mike

or because he got very sick the last 2 weeks of training camp and lost the QB competition to Joe Flacco, whom he was beating at the time.

you're kidding me right? flacco is gonna be a pro bowler. i mean i'm an ohio state fan but seriously. don't let your 'black' status dull your perception. do you hear anyone ever mention troy smith as a viable solution as a starting qb? tell me what radio staion tv station or analyist say this and i'll lokk it up.

you're kidding me right? flacco is gonna be a pro bowler. i mean i'm an ohio state fan but seriously. don't let your 'black' status dull your perception. do you hear anyone ever mention troy smith as a viable solution as a starting qb? tell me what radio staion tv station or analyist say this and i'll lokk it up.

uhhh

http://forums.dawgbones.com/index.phpact=L...;CODE=03&k=

The announcement came as former Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith, who had been expected to compete for the starting job, finally returned from a severe tonsil infection that had sidelined him since training camp.

uhhh

http://forums.dawgbones.com/index.phpact=L...;CODE=03&k=

The announcement came as former Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith, who had been expected to compete for the starting job, finally returned from a severe tonsil infection that had sidelined him since training camp.

uhhhh............and did he? was he good enough to knock joe flacco out of the starting spot? no. where were all the pundits before that draft year calling troy smith a franchise qb? did you hear anything? no wait...yeah, crickets. flacco was called a winner by his h.s. coach, college and most gm's and former qbs in this league. how about troy boy? and having an 'announcement' in a forum is like a paperboy doing the evening news. pleeeez.

uhhhh............and did he? was he good enough to knock joe flacco out of the starting spot? no. where were all the pundits before that draft year calling troy smith a franchise qb? did you hear anything? no wait...yeah, crickets. flacco was called a winner by his h.s. coach, college and most gm's and former qbs in this league. how about troy boy? and having an 'announcement' in a forum is like a paperboy doing the evening news. pleeeez.

Why not give him a shot? I don't get the hatred towards this idea when we may end up taking a QB that is just as unproven with the same 5th round pick.

yes he was because he did

Flacco needed smith to get sick to beat him out o the starting spot

yes he was because he did

Flacco needed smith to get sick to beat him out o the starting spot

see here, i don't get YOUR stupidity. flacco could beat out smith on his worse day. are you like the president of the troy smith fan club? i don't hate troy smith at all but to say that smallish troy smith with an ok arm and can run around is better than a tall stay-in-the-pocket rocket arm winning qb? just be real. we should be looking at jason campbell if we were to sign a fa qb, or look to draft pike or lefevour.

see here, i don't get YOUR stupidity. flacco could beat out smith on his worse day. are you like the president of the troy smith fan club? i don't hate troy smith at all but to say that smallish troy smith with an ok arm and can run around is better than a tall stay-in-the-pocket rocket arm winning qb? just be real. we should be looking at jason campbell if we were to sign a fa qb, or look to draft pike or lefevour.

thats why Flacco never beat out smith right?

it took smith not being able to play or practice to lose the starting job

and he thinks im the stupid one :rolleyes:

you can live and make believe land all you want but its not going to change the fact smith beat out Flacco untill he got sick

you can live and make believe land all you want but its not going to change the fact smith beat out Flacco untill he got sick

No, here's a fact:

Smith STILL hasn't beat out Flacco... PERIOD! Oh, in preseason, did he? Wow, really? Who the F cares about pre-season?

If Troy was that great, he would have unseated Flacco by now. Oh, oops, my bad... he HAS NOT.

God's sakes get over the damn Scarlet and Gray blinders..., if he were from New Mexico State or Tulane or San Jose State you wouldn't even bring his name INTO the discussion. Period.

Wait, I know.... let's get Daryll Clark. I mean, I am a PSU fan, so, he must be good!! AND>>..... he is from Ohio!!! OMG... we cant miss. Draft him. Third round.

NOT.

No, here's a fact:

Smith STILL hasn't beat out Flacco... PERIOD! Oh, in preseason, did he? Wow, really? Who the F cares about pre-season?

If Troy was that great, he would have unseated Flacco by now. Oh, oops, my bad... he HAS NOT.

God's sakes get over the damn Scarlet and Gray blinders..., if he were from New Mexico State or Tulane or San Jose State you wouldn't even bring his name INTO the discussion. Period.

Wait, I know.... let's get Daryll Clark. I mean, I am a PSU fan, so, he must be good!! AND>>..... he is from Ohio!!! OMG... we cant miss. Draft him. Third round.

NOT.

yawn

he very well indeed beat out flacco

i know you wont admit facts but its just the truth not S&G blinders but hey glad to see you jumped on another screen name to agree with yourself

if Smith doesnt get sick Flacco never see's the field in his career

yawn

i know you wont admit facts but its just the truth not S&G blinders but hey glad to see you jumped on another screen name to agree with yourself

Whoa- I'm as big an Ohio State homer as anyone- but think for a minute- if the Ravens thought Troy had starting qb potential- they sure as hell wouldn't have tendered him low. Second round tender is $1.8 million- dirt cheap for an NFL starting qb. At 6'0" you're entitled to believe Smith has Drew Brees potential, but Ozzie doesn't think he's worth it.

Secondly, I'm opposed to giving the Ratbirds anything to pick up a player.

yawn

That's just goofy. Smith has 89 attempts in a 3 year career and you're ready to say he's better than Flacco?

i don't think we should go after smith either, but it is true that he was set to be the starter until he got very sick. It's hard to beat out a guy who is as good as Flacco. I don't think Troy was every supposed to be the guy, but a stop gap of sorts for Flacco's rookie season so they wouldn't have to throw him to the wolves. Either way, as much as I love Troy and my buckeyes, this isn't the right move.

i posted this in another thread, but i think it bears repeating.

again, where do you get this idea from that he is a quality backup? he has shown no reason to believe that. ohio state fans need to stop thinking he is going to be great, yet he only had one good year during college. in case your forgetting (and i'm guessing not a lot of people knew this) quinn had better stats his senior season than smith did, with less talent around him to boot. smith just had a better running game and a much better defense and we all know how he has turned out. if smith had gone to a different school would everybody still be advocating that he came here? no, he would be a punch line. if it weren't for the fact that he went to o-state then nobody would want him, just like nobody wants jason white. smith is nothing, and will be nothing.

A lot of QBs haven't shown a "great deal" when they have been backups with one team, yet, when they moved to another team, they shined.

(Do the names Brett Favre, Jim Plunkett, Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Drew Brees, Len Dawson, Johhnny Unitas, etc. etc. etc. sound familiar? I am not saying this will happen with Smith, but it has happened with many others in the past, so don't discount the possibility.)

A lot of QBs haven't shown a "great deal" when they have been backups with one team, yet, when they moved to another team, they shined.

(Do the names Brett Favre, Jim Plunkett, Kurt Warner, Steve Young, Drew Brees, Len Dawson, Johhnny Unitas, etc. etc. etc. sound familiar? I am not saying this will happen with Smith, but it has happened with many others in the past, so don't discount the possibility.)

You must be delirious to mention the great John Unitas in the same breath as an untested, undersized, misemployed qb who won't even be playing in the professional sunday league much longer. Slap yourself

You must be delirious to mention the great John Unitas in the same breath as an untested, undersized, misemployed qb who won't even be playing in the professional sunday league much longer. Slap yourself

Yea, and that is probably what they said about John Unitas when he was cut by the Steelers when someone may have compared him to Sid Luckman or somebody.

And you completely missed my point: I am saying simply that because a QB may not be able to make it with one team doesn't mean that he couldn't prosper or excel with another team. Even if you don't project him as a superstar, it doesn't mean he couldn't be a productive QB elsewhere.

So maybe he isn't going to be a Unitas, Steve Young, Dawson, etc., i.e. a Hall of Famer. But it is possible that he could be like these guys who were good, productive starting QBs in new places:

Jake Delhomme: 2 years as a backup with New Orleans before moving to Carolina and going to the Super Bowl

Brad Johnson: several years with the Vikings and Redskins before going to the Bucs and a SB

Ron Jaworski: 2 years as a backup with the Rams before going to the Eagles and the SB

Matt Hasselbeck: 2 years as a backup with the Packers before going to the Seahawks and the SB

Trent Dilfer: 6 years with Tampa before going to Baltimore

Even our own Frank Ryan spent two years as a backup with the Rams before coming to the Browns.

These guys are not superstars, but became good, winning QBs after several years in backup roles primarily. So, all I am saying is that it CAN be done.

Troy Smith? Really? We already have Brady Quinn, what's the difference?

Do you guys want to win or do you want to collect Ohio momentos?

Zombo

Fair point. All the guys that want us to go after Smith may be the same ones that say we should dump Quinn. At this point, I don't think Quinn should be dumped.

But, since it seems clear that DA will probably not be here, another QB seems essential, at least as a backup, if not as a competitor for the starting job.

There may be 25 guys out there that could be brought in here in that event. None of them seem like a bright shining star. Smith is simply one of those guys in that mix. Maybe no better or worse than any of the others.

Troy is one of those options i'd consider if he were waived OR if he somehow was able to show you something more in actual live action in terms of starting QB level of play. Even though i was a fan of his back in OSU days, i question whether i'd want to give up a 5th rounder to secure his services. If he's one of our higher options, in terms of QB talent, we could be in some trouble. Not saying he still couldn't be sucessful at all, i just think we should check other options first before we go running towards Mr. Smith.

Whoever said Jason Campbell too, please no. I've seen enough of him to understand he's a guy who just will not improve any more than he's shown.

Troy is one of those options i'd consider if he were waived OR if he somehow was able to show you something more in actual live action in terms of starting QB level of play. Even though i was a fan of his back in OSU days, i question whether i'd want to give up a 5th rounder to secure his services. If he's one of our higher options, in terms of QB talent, we could be in some trouble. Not saying he still couldn't be sucessful at all, i just think we should check other options first before we go running towards Mr. Smith.

Whoever said Jason Campbell too, please no. I've seen enough of him to understand he's a guy who just will not improve any more than he's shown.

OK, well, the question is: If they do as presumed and release DA, then the Browns would only have 2 QBs on the roster, Quinn and Ratliff. They would need at least one or two other QBs on the roster.

What is your solution? Pick up one of the available FAs (restricted or unrestricted), or draft a rookie?..or both

OK, well, the question is: If they do as presumed and release DA, then the Browns would only have 2 QBs on the roster, Quinn and Ratliff. They would need at least one or two other QBs on the roster.

What is your solution? Pick up one of the available FAs (restricted or unrestricted), or draft a rookie?..or both

Good question. I think you need to pick up one of the free agents AND draft a youngster....if those are the only options we are mentioning. I honestly would approach the trade angle of adding either McNabb, Kolb or Hassleback while drafting some young Qb to take over the reigns. I wouldn't be upset IF we were to give a 5th rounder for Troy's services as i think he's still got some upside. I just don't think i'd personally go that route.

We've got choices and we need to take a look at them all. I want to develop a good young arm but that seems to be a difficult thing to do sometimes. We certainly aren't the only team struggling with it.

Fair point. All the guys that want us to go after Smith may be the same ones that say we should dump Quinn. At this point, I don't think Quinn should be dumped.

But, since it seems clear that DA will probably not be here, another QB seems essential, at least as a backup, if not as a competitor for the starting job.

There may be 25 guys out there that could be brought in here in that event. None of them seem like a bright shining star. Smith is simply one of those guys in that mix. Maybe no better or worse than any of the others.

Smith seems to me to be a guy that is not going to be any better than the guy we already have from the same draft, Brady Quinn. Both of them are backup material, you are not going to buld a franchise around either one right now. My plan would be go out and get a vet starter (Mcnabb, Bulger, Delhomme, etc) and draft a prospect (Bradford, Claussen, McCoy, etc) and REALLY put your resources into the position, because it is the most important position and we are competing with studs Palmer, Flacco and Rapeburger for years to come.

Even if you keep Quinn, hoping he can still develop into a franchise stud, then you pair him with a veteran or an intriguing fraft pick ... not a Troy Smith. Then we are sitting there with two younger guys we HOPE are any good ... sound like last year and the very thing we are trying to get away from?

We have cornered the market on young mediocre QBs. Let's get a proven winner and/or a young stud and quit HOPING a guy like Quinn or Smith is the answer. We have to aim higher at this position, it is critical.

Zombo

Smith seems to me to be a guy that is not going to be any better than the guy we already have from the same draft, Brady Quinn. Both of them are backup material, you are not going to buld a franchise around either one right now. My plan would be go out and get a vet starter (Mcnabb, Bulger, Delhomme, etc) and draft a prospect (Bradford, Claussen, McCoy, etc) and REALLY put your resources into the position, because it is the most important position and we are competing with studs Palmer, Flacco and Rapeburger for years to come.

Even if you keep Quinn, hoping he can still develop into a franchise stud, then you pair him with a veteran or an intriguing fraft pick ... not a Troy Smith. Then we are sitting there with two younger guys we HOPE are any good ... sound like last year and the very thing we are trying to get away from?

We have cornered the market on young mediocre QBs. Let's get a proven winner and/or a young stud and quit HOPING a guy like Quinn or Smith is the answer. We have to aim higher at this position, it is critical.

Zombo

I am not personally convinced that Flacco is all that much of a stud, but he does seem to have the confidence of the Ravens, so he will be there and the Browns will need to compete with him.

And honestly, I am not so sure that with some tutelage from Holmgren that BQ may not still be the answer here. So many people it seems that were so ready to jump on his bandwagon now seem ready to jump off it. (You'd think they were local Steeler fans). I, personally, am willing to be a little more patient. This would obviously be a make or break year for him, but I would still be willing to give him the reins.

(Since it is St. Patrick's month I have now made a resolution to do most of my posts in green)

I am not personally convinced that Flacco is all that much of a stud, but he does seem to have the confidence of the Ravens, so he will be there and the Browns will need to compete with him.

And honestly, I am not so sure that with some tutelage from Holmgren that BQ may not still be the answer here. So many people it seems that were so ready to jump on his bandwagon now seem ready to jump off it. (You'd think they were local Steeler fans). I, personally, am willing to be a little more patient. This would obviously be a make or break year for him, but I would still be willing to give him the reins.

(Since it is St. Patrick's month I have now made a resolution to do most of my posts in green)

I really liked what i saw later in the season with Quinn managing the game. I also still love his willingness to work. The guy gets after it and considering all the negativity and what have you, i found that to be a positive trait. I just question whether BQ will EVER be able to consistently hit a long ball. He can throw it....i don't question that .....but his accuracy is ALL over the place. Some of that could be confidence but i have a feeling, the reason his stock dropped in the draft is EXACTLY for this reason.

I can see Zombo and i agree in terms of approaches with the QB. You've got better talent out there to grab and you have to see if you can snag one of those guys. Of course, it could prove to be another Jeff Garcia , Dilfer case...but i think our team is more well rounded now and the talent i'm eyeing is greater than Dilfers and Garcia's when we got them.

Quarterback Rating Leaders - Qualified

RK PLAYER TEAM ATT COMP PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G

1 Drew Brees, QB NOR 514 363 70.6 4388 8.54 75 34 11 20 109.6 293

2 Brett Favre, QB MIN 531 363 68.4 4202 7.91 63 33 7 34 107.2 263

3 Philip Rivers, QB SDG 486 317 65.2 4254 8.75 81 28 9 25 104.4 266

4 Aaron Rodgers, QB GNB 541 350 64.7 4434 8.20 83 30 7 50 103.2 277

5 Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 506 337 66.6 4328 8.55 60 26 12 50 100.5 289

6 Peyton Manning, QB IND 571 393 68.8 4500 7.88 80 33 16 10 99.9 281

7 Matt Schaub, QB HOU 583 396 67.9 4770 8.18 72 29 15 25 98.6 298

8 Tony Romo, QB DAL 550 347 63.1 4483 8.15 80 26 9 34 97.6 280

9 Tom Brady, QB NWE 565 371 65.7 4398 7.78 81 28 13 16 96.2 275

10 Kurt Warner, QB ARI 513 339 66.1 3753 7.32 45 26 14 24 93.2 250

11 Eli Manning, QB NYG 509 317 62.3 4021 7.90 74 27 14 30 93.1 251

12 Donovan McNabb, QB PHI 443 267 60.3 3553 8.02 60 22 10 35 92.9 254

13 Joe Flacco, QB BAL 499 315 63.1 3613 7.24 72 21 12 36 88.9 226

14 Kyle Orton, QB DEN 541 336 62.1 3802 7.03 87 21 12 29 86.8 238

15 Jason Campbell, QB WAS 507 327 64.5 3618 7.14 84 20 15 43 86.4 226

16 Carson Palmer, QB CIN 466 282 60.5 3094 6.64 73 21 13 26 83.6 193

17 David Garrard, QB JAC 516 314 60.9 3597 6.97 63 15 10 42 83.5 225

18 Vince Young, QB TEN 259 152 58.7 1879 7.26 66 10 7 9 82.8 157

19 Alex Smith, QB SFO 372 225 60.5 2350 6.32 73 18 12 22 81.5 214

20 Matt Ryan, QB ATL 451 263 58.3 2916 6.47 90 22 14 19 80.9 208

21 Jay Cutler, QB CHI 555 336 60.5 3666 6.61 71 27 26 35 76.8 229

22 Chad Henne, QB MIA 451 274 60.8 2878 6.38 67 12 14 26 75.2 206

23 Matt Hasselbeck, QB SEA 488 293 60.0 3029 6.21 53 17 17 32 75.1 216

24 Marc Bulger, QB STL 247 140 56.7 1469 5.95 50 5 6 14 70.7 163

25 Matt Cassel, QB KAN 493 271 55.0 2924 5.93 61 16 16 42 69.9 195

26 Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB BUF 227 127 55.9 1422 6.26 98 9 10 21 69.7 142

27 Brady Quinn, QB CLE 256 136 53.1 1339 5.23 59 8 7 19 67.2 134

28 Mark Sanchez, QB NYJ 364 196 53.8 2444 6.71 65 12 20 26 63.0 163

29 Matthew Stafford, QB DET 377 201 53.3 2267 6.01 75 13 20 24 61.0 227

30 Josh Freeman, QB TAM 291 159 54.6 1857 6.38 42 10 18 20 59.9 186

31 Jake Delhomme, QB CAR 321 178 55.5 2015 6.28 52 8 18 23 59.4 183

32 JaMarcus Russell, QB OAK 246 120 48.8 1287 5.23 86 3 11 33 50.0 107

QB Rating

Smith

League Average

League Leader

athensbuck: put that in your crack pipe and smoke it. isn't athens close to wv? exactly.

Archived