THE BROWNS BOARD

Breaking News: Corey Williams Traded To Lions

DAWGPOUND16

Browns defensive lineman Corey Williams made it clear last year that he wasn't happy in Cleveland. Now he's on the way out.

Chris Mortensen of ESPN is reporting that unnamed sources say Williams will land with the Lions in exchange for a late-round draft pick. Mortensen writes that Williams is scheduled to take a physical on Friday to finalize the trade from the Browns to the Lions.

Although acquiring Williams would bolster the Lions' defensive line, Mortensen writes that the Lions wouldn't be done upgrading their defensive line there. Per Mortensen, the Lions may also sign free agent defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch and draft Nebraska defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

Williams played in all 16 games for the Browns last year and recorded four sacks.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...liams-to-lions/

This makes a lot of sense. This is something that i had talked about in a post earliar. that it wouldnt surprise me if we saw corey williams as a trade piece to get another draft pick. I was really hoping that we could at least get a 4th for him or get a couple of teams that were in dire need on d linemen ala Carolina and Detroit in a bidding war and possibly get a 3rd for him but from the sounds of it doesnt sound to promising im hoping at least a 5th now!!! If anything saves us some serious loot that savage over paid on to use towards other players. Perhaps why we are seeing this early on in the free agency period. whatever the result good move, williams was not happy here and didnt fit our system at all. If the only thing it does is bring a late pick and save us a ton of money then it still is a very good move.

If it is a 5th round pick use it to get Troy Smith possibly?

Next to Nothing, if it does end up being a 5th round pick im right there with you brother. With four 5th round picks it wouldnt hurt to use one on troy smith just to even give him a try out and see if he could start or even be a very good back up. Would be very well worth it!

As much as we were paying him, I'm ecstatic to get even a late round pick for him. He just didn't fit. I have a hard time imagining Savage accepting the fact he made a bad trade and doing this.

Good salary dump for a draft pick.

Next to Nothing, if it does end up being a 5th round pick im right there with you brother. With four 5th round picks it wouldnt hurt to use one on troy smith just to even give him a try out and see if he could start or even be a very good back up. Would be very well worth it!

That's what I'm saying, yeah Troy Smith could turn out to be nothing but a career backup, but why not give him a try? Quinn and Anderson haven't done anything and from what I've read both of them may be gone before next season. It is pretty much 100% that we'll be taking a QB at some point in this draft whether we bring in a veteran or not so I say grab Smith and see what the kid can do.

If it is a 5th round pick use it to get Troy Smith possibly?

Just say no to giving the Rats a pick.

In NBA speak, this was a salary dump on an underachiever.

I agree....and frees up his cash to sign a FA....maybe a QB??

I agree....and frees up his cash to sign a FA....maybe a QB??

I'de be okay with that but still, if we were to go and get Troy Smith, it would essentially be Cory Williams for Troy Smith. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. But if we were to make an offer to Troy, would we give up our 5th round or would we have a choice on which 5th round pick we give them? Because we have 3 or 4 5th round picks right now.

You're probably right, they may have wanted to cut him but took what they could instead. But would it be so bad if we essentially got Troy Smith for Williams? At the very least we would have a really quality backup here for a long time.

You're probably right, they may have wanted to cut him but took what they could instead. But would it be so bad if we essentially got Troy Smith for Williams? At the very least we would have a really quality backup here for a long time.

again, where do you get this idea from that he is a quality backup? he has shown no reason to believe that. ohio state fans need to stop thinking he is going to be great, yet he only had one good year during college. in case your forgetting (and i'm guessing not a lot of people knew this) quinn had better stats his senior season than smith did, with less talent around him to boot. smith just had a better running game and a much better defense and we all know how he has turned out. if smith had gone to a different school would everybody still be advocating that he came here? no, he would be a punch line. if it weren't for the fact that he went to o-state then nobody would want him, just like nobody wants jason white. smith is nothing, and will be nothing.

again, where do you get this idea from that he is a quality backup? he has shown no reason to believe that. ohio state fans need to stop thinking he is going to be great, yet he only had one good year during college. in case your forgetting (and i'm guessing not a lot of people knew this) quinn had better stats his senior season than smith did, with less talent around him to boot. smith just had a better running game and a much better defense and we all know how he has turned out. if smith had gone to a different school would everybody still be advocating that he came here? no, he would be a punch line. if it weren't for the fact that he went to o-state then nobody would want him, just like nobody wants jason white. smith is nothing, and will be nothing.

such a god awful post

he also hasnt proven that he couldnt be a good/great QB works both ways

in Smiths senior season they had to replace 9 starters all of which went in the 1st 4 rounds, 5 went in the 1st round

you dont go to a NCG the next year without having a great QB and losing all that talent

there was more alot talent on the team his junior year when he was splitting time with Zwick and they lost 2 games

I'de be okay with that but still, if we were to go and get Troy Smith, it would essentially be Cory Williams for Troy Smith. That doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. But if we were to make an offer to Troy, would we give up our 5th round or would we have a choice on which 5th round pick we give them? Because we have 3 or 4 5th round picks right now.

I know Troy gets a lot of love around here, but if we are going to look for a QB somewhere, I think we are looking a little higher up the ladder.

JMO

LOL, another case of "being careful of what you wish for".

Unless I'm mistaken, Williams was reported to have been chanting, "Holmgren, Holmgren" in the Browns locker room - before Holmgren was hired and while Mangini's return was in question.

Have fun in Detroit, Cory, you got your wish.

PS Another wasted 3rd Round Pick/Trade in the Savage era.

LOL, another case of "being careful of what you wish for".

Unless I'm mistaken, Williams was reported to have been chanting, "Holmgren, Holmgren" in the Browns locker room - before Holmgren was hired and while Mangini's return was in question.

Have fun in Detroit, Cory, you got your wish.

PS Another wasted 3rd Round Pick/Trade in the Savage era.

thats ironic

the guy he wanted to play for doesnt want him

more like the guy who knows the truth

the truth? weren't you the guy who said "he (smith0 very well indeed beat out flacco" in another thread? you may be the dumbest person to ever be on this board and i am including steeler trolls in that. they may say ignorant things, but at least they don't blatantly lie like you do. go back to your mommy's basement where you have shrine dedicated to all of o state's worthless pro players.

says the new guy who pisses off even the biggest ohio state fans. get your head out of timmy t's ass.

There you go. Ask yourself this:

Would you rather use a 5th round pick on Tim Tebow? Or a 5th round pick on Troy Smith? If it "had" to be one or the other.

(Who know, Tebow could still be there in round 5)

Would you rather use a 5th round pick on Tim Tebow? Or a 5th round pick on Troy Smith? If it "had" to be one or the other.

i don't want either one to tell the truth. i'm tired of project qb's and i think we should get one in next year's draft or through free agency. neither smith nor tebow will amount to much as a qb.

the truth? weren't you the guy who said "he (smith0 very well indeed beat out flacco" in another thread? you may be the dumbest person to ever be on this board and i am including steeler trolls in that. they may say ignorant things, but at least they don't blatantly lie like you do. go back to your mommy's basement where you have shrine dedicated to all of o state's worthless pro players.

so your ignoring what the every coach and player on the team said? interesting

im sorry you just cant accept the fact that it happend but everybody knows it did

owned

so your ignoring what the every coach and player on the team said? interesting

im sorry you just cant accept the fact that it happend but everybody knows it did

owned

every player and coach said it? what are you talking about. if every coach on said that smith was better, he would be playing. as it it, he gets what, 10? 20? snaps a year. if he really beat out flacco then he would have gotten a much higher tender than a 5th rounder. go back to the raven's board where you have an equal intelligence as everyone else.

i don't want either one to tell the truth. i'm tired of project qb's and i think we should get one in next year's draft or through free agency. neither smith nor tebow will amount to much as a qb.

Neither was NOT an option is my hypothetical. I said if you HAD to use a 5th round pick on one or the other, which would you pick?

Neither was NOT an option is my hypothetical. I said if you HAD to use a 5th round pick on one or the other, which would you pick?

i guess tebow because when he fails at qb, you can make him a tight end. when smith fails there really isn't anywhere else to put him. seriously though, i would tebow. he is a lot bigger and can make more happen with his legs. smith has an absolute cannon but has decision and accuracy issues, as does tebow. tebow has at least proven h will do anything to win. smith hasn't. in fact, when his senior season was over, he put on weight and stopped working out. tebow actually acts like he wants to play and has shown that he can backup his words.

I wonder if the F.O. is looking more D-line with our first pick, instead of going for help in the seconday like most of the mock drafts are showing.

1st round d-line

Second rd. DB.

Third rd. QB

I don't know but Corey filled holes now who will take that spot?

i guess tebow because when he fails at qb, you can make him a tight end. when smith fails there really isn't anywhere else to put him. seriously though, i would tebow. he is a lot bigger and can make more happen with his legs. smith has an absolute cannon but has decision and accuracy issues, as does tebow. tebow has at least proven h will do anything to win. smith hasn't. in fact, when his senior season was over, he put on weight and stopped working out. tebow actually acts like he wants to play and has shown that he can backup his words.

If I recall, Smith "legs" were one of his best assets, weren't they? I mean, If I recall from watching them both in college, Tebow could probably be better if you wanted to bull the ball in from the 2 yard line, but it was Smith who frequently ran off 40-50 yard runs.

As for what Smith did after his senior season, I don't know about that. All I know is that he DID make the Ravens, started a few games, and is still there, so I suspect he got back on any workout routine.

Tebow will not make it past the beginning of the 3rd round (probably not the 2nd). At the very least he makes an interesting WildDawg option and there are teams in need of a player that can make that happen. As far as a project player, I would definitely take him in the 3rd and train him for a few years. This guy is smart, motivated, and one hell of an athlete. Not to mention a HUGE character person. The Browns are going to trade for a qb this year so let him sit a few and learn how to be an nfl qb like Romo did. I would target Colt McCoy in the 2nd first and if we didn't get him then Tebow in the 3rd.

It makes sense to move Corey and if this assists us in adding a player via Free agency who can aid our team more than he did, it will be a very positive move.

It is a shame he didn't work out. I was excited when we signed him and he really sounded very positive to be a Cleveland Brown. I guess it was a situation of square peg in a round hole with him more than anything else and we should've know that when we signed the guy.

I'm convinced this team with Mangini, Heckert and Holmgren can find quality talent to fill in the role he played with ease. (we basically already have)

Archived