THE BROWNS BOARD

Breaking News: Corey Williams Traded To Lions

DAWGPOUND16

Tebow will not make it past the beginning of the 3rd round (probably not the 2nd). At the very least he makes an interesting WildDawg option and there are teams in need of a player that can make that happen. As far as a project player, I would definitely take him in the 3rd and train him for a few years. This guy is smart, motivated, and one hell of an athlete. Not to mention a HUGE character person. The Browns are going to trade for a qb this year so let him sit a few and learn how to be an nfl qb like Romo did. I would target Colt McCoy in the 2nd first and if we didn't get him then Tebow in the 3rd.

I personally don't think he is any smarter, or more motivated, or more of a character person than say, Troy Smith.

Honestly, character don't mean diddley when it comes to winning football games. Now, I don't want a complete sociopath running my team, but just because some guy wears his religion on his sleeve, or gives rah rah speeches, doesn't mean he is going to be a good NFL QB. If some of that translates into real leadership, then fine. But there have been a lot of private, seemingly meek guys make good leaders. Joe Montana was a quiet, meek guy, but obviously a great leader.

I personally don't think he is any smarter, or more motivated, or more of a character person than say, Troy Smith.

Honestly, character don't mean diddley when it comes to winning football games. Now, I don't want a complete sociopath running my team, but just because some guy wears his religion on his sleeve, or gives rah rah speeches, doesn't mean he is going to be a good NFL QB. If some of that translates into real leadership, then fine. But there have been a lot of private, seemingly meek guys make good leaders. Joe Montana was a quiet, meek guy, but obviously a great leader

I don't think you will find one coach or nfl personality that questions Tebow's leadership skills. In fact, the buzz is that his intangibles are off the charts. I'm not saying that I would spend a 2nd rounder on him (I would on McCoy though), but I do think he is worth a look in the 3rd (if we trade for a veteran). I don't think Smith will be any better than a backup at this level. He kinda reminds me of Tee Martin (very mobile but not great at reads). I personally liked him at Ohio State and would chance a 5th round on him if we don't get someone earlier. Just my 2 cents.

Not that it matters but Bernie seemed to think Tebow can perform at this next level. I tend to think Kosar has a decent read on things football-wise but i still question Tebow's ability to consistently get it done in the NFL. I guess in these circumstances we can be VERY thankful Kosar was NOT named as our GM.

Lions agree to terms with Titans DE Vanden Crotch. Not bad couple of 2 moves with them.

I actually like what they're doing over there. As a life long Browns fan, I know how it feels to live in a dirty city with a bad football team; it would be good to see Detroit have a respectable team again. They are also filling needs through FA that could really change how the draft plays out.

They are also filling needs through FA that could really change how the draft plays out.

With 2 new D-linemen could they now pass on either Suh or McCoy? They already have their franchise QB so do they trade or take someone who changes the whole top half of the projected draft positions?

And now we have 12 picks :)

What is the record for most picks in the draft? Id love to find that out.

what's the record for wasted draft picks? Id love to avoid setting that this year

most picks don't stick around the nfl, I'm ok with the salary dump but imo that's all this was

With 2 new D-linemen could they now pass on either Suh or McCoy? They already have their franchise QB so do they trade or take someone who changes the whole top half of the projected draft positions?

It looks like they have their D-line sured up pretty well. I can see them going for Spiller at this point. Stafford, Petigrew, Johnson, and the Spiller? Could be a really nice offensive team. And imagine Spiller on that turf. Damn!

what's the record for wasted draft picks? Id love to avoid setting that this year

most picks don't stick around the nfl, I'm ok with the salary dump but imo that's all this was

You're forgetting how deep this draft is and who's making the decisions. There will be bad picks by every team. But a good draft has about a 50% success rate. If we can hit that with 12 picks rather than 7, well, I'll take 6 good picks over 3 everytime.

I don't think you will find one coach or nfl personality that questions Tebow's leadership skills. In fact, the buzz is that his intangibles are off the charts. I'm not saying that I would spend a 2nd rounder on him (I would on McCoy though), but I do think he is worth a look in the 3rd (if we trade for a veteran). I don't think Smith will be any better than a backup at this level. He kinda reminds me of Tee Martin (very mobile but not great at reads). I personally liked him at Ohio State and would chance a 5th round on him if we don't get someone earlier. Just my 2 cents.

If we are looking for intangibles, then perhaps the Browns should draft the Ghost of Mother Theresa.

Most people from what I understand think that Troy Smith at this point is equal as a prospect to what Tebow is.

Actually, I don't know why we should be debating between the two. I doubt that either of them will, or should be chosen by the Browns to play for them.

I don't know if you ever have enough good D-Linemen.

All I can say is I hope they pass on either of them. Then perhaps one of them will slip to the Browns. But not likely.

I think the Browns 2000 draft may hold the record for most wasted draft picks. They had 13 picks that year. Here they are, in order:

Courtney Browns

Dennis Northcutt

Travice Prentice

Lewis Sanders

Aaron Shea

Anthony Malbrough

Lamar Chapman

Spergon Wynn

Brad Bedell

Manuia Savea

Eric Chandler

Rashidi Barnes

Except for a few decent years out of Northcutt and Shea, and maybe one good year by Brown, what did the Browns get out of these 13 picks? Nearly nothing.

I don't know if you ever have enough good D-Linemen.

All I can say is I hope they pass on either of them. Then perhaps one of them will slip to the Browns. But not likely.

Especially with as bad as Detroits defense has been. More defense cannot hurt them one bit. I'd like for one of those guys to slip to us. As it stands, i have a feeling we will get someone we want at 7.

Archived